2019-2020 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but according to the calendar, the last day of school is June 30? is that purely for financial aid reasons or so you actually do something/still have to go to campus once you’re done with the final in the first week of May? It’s confusing

It is confusing, but yes, you're right. It's purely for financial aid reasons. You'll have ~2 months off and can leave to go home after your last final in May.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally agree!

Does anyone have any information about deferring to next year maybe? I don't feel comfortable moving during this time and not even knowing when I would be able to come back. I reached out to student services but have not yet heard back from them and I have to make my deposit by Friday!
Before you make your decision, I would reach out to the admissions office and see if you can speak to someone about your concerns! I think everything is up in the air right now, and it's possible that they may not start in person even though they say so given the daily changes in the circumstances. I also think they would be understanding of student circumstances and concerns at this time so it is worth at least voicing them.

Reactions: 2 users
Before you make your decision, I would reach out to the admissions office and see if you can speak to someone about your concerns! I think everything is up in the air right now, and it's possible that they may not start in person even though they say so given the daily changes in the circumstances. I also think they would be understanding of student circumstances and concerns at this time so it is worth at least voicing them.
Yes this was definitely good advice! I went ahead and reached out yesterday because the uncertainty is troubling given that I would be coming from Florida.. so for anyone who needs clarity on logistics, this is the information I got from student services:

"Orientation will be held virtually on June 29th and 30th and classes start July 1st. We are asking students to arrive in Maine by June 15th so they can self-quarantine for 14 days, which is mandated by the state of Maine. Classes will be a combination of virtual and on campus.

I don’t believe there have been any deferments granted so far this year."

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes this was definitely good advice! I went ahead and reached out yesterday because the uncertainty is troubling given that I would be coming from Florida.. so for anyone who needs clarity on logistics, this is the information I got from student services:

"Orientation will be held virtually on June 29th and 30th and classes start July 1st. We are asking students to arrive in Maine by June 15th so they can self-quarantine for 14 days, which is mandated by the state of Maine. Classes will be a combination of virtual and on campus.

I don’t believe there have been any deferments granted so far this year."

good to know! Thanks for sharing!!

Probably won't be able to move in until a couple of days before orientation, at best

• Hmm
I'm getting really concerned/irritated with the lack of information I've been getting about what classes are going to like, when we'll be in class/for how long in light of covid, etc. Does anyone have any more concrete information than what has been posted here?

Probably won't be able to move in until a couple of days before orientation, at best

lol I know the 14 day quarsntie e
I'm getting really concerned/irritated with the lack of information I've been getting about what classes are going to like, when we'll be in class/for how long in light of covid, etc. Does anyone have any more concrete information than what has been posted here?

No unfortunately. I am in the same boat as you. I am so frustrated with the lack of communication. It’s bad enough that we get our weekly schedule literally a day before the classes start, but if they’re gonna go ahead and chance doing the classes in person, they owe us explanation as to how they’re gonna safely do so instead of asking everyone to come to their local community by June 15th and have us all just in dark. It’s SO frustrating. How do they not have any information?! Like at least let people know the outline of how things will happen, if you haven’t worked out the details yet. If they don’t have the plans yet because the situations are ever so changing, then let people start online for the first few months!!!! Like what’s wrong with that!!!! Why are you forcing the hand to do the classes in person when you don’t even seem to have a legitimate idea/plan to safely to do so

imagine they don’t tell us anything until June 15th like until after everyone’s taken out their loans so people are forced to have no choice but to go? Lol life

• Wow
lol I know the 14 day quarsntie e

No unfortunately. I am in the same boat as you. I am so frustrated with the lack of communication. It’s bad enough that we get our weekly schedule literally a day before the classes start, but if they’re gonna go ahead and chance doing the classes in person, they owe us explanation as to how they’re gonna safely do so instead of asking everyone to come to their local community by June 15th and have us all just in dark. It’s SO frustrating. How do they not have any information?! Like at least let people know the outline of how things will happen, if you haven’t worked out the details yet. If they don’t have the plans yet because the situations are ever so changing, then let people start online for the first few months!!!! Like what’s wrong with that!!!! Why are you forcing the hand to do the classes in person when you don’t even seem to have a legitimate idea/plan to safely to do so
e x a c t l y

what information have you gotten from them when you've expressed your thoughts on this?? i'm new here lol

does anyone know if there is an accepted students facebook page? someone from student services had loosely mentioned it but i can't seem to find it!

does anyone know if there is an accepted students facebook page? someone from student services had loosely mentioned it but i can't seem to find it!

Yes, there is a Facebook group for the class of 2024, I think it starts as for accepted students only, but later they also allow upperclassman to post stuff about housing/finding roommates and selling furniture stuff. You can just search it on Facebook, its called "UNECOM Class of 2024(Official)". You do have to wait for one of the moderator to accept your request to join tho.

Same. Everyone in my family’s extremely worried that they’re trying to start in the summer. Just because they’ve lifted the restrictions, doesn’t mean the pandemic’s over, obviously. I have a friend who starts med school in the summer too, but her schools already told her the first three months of her school would be online even the anatomy class. The moving to zoom meeting already happened which I missed, and I guess that’s when they talked about planning to have the school in person. It just doesn’t make any sense to me

I am frustrated too about the lack of certainty in the upcoming schedule, but I guess they are trying to find a balance of online and in-person education. I've heard some other DO program straight-up canceled their in-person labs for the upcoming semester, and a bunch of people got mad too because they want the whole medical school experience(which I don't blame them). I am all up for moving all the classes online for the first few months, but I guess we just have to see what happen next

Members don't see this ad :)
I am frustrated too about the lack of certainty in the upcoming schedule, but I guess they are trying to find a balance of online and in-person education. I've heard some other DO program straight-up canceled their in-person labs for the upcoming semester, and a bunch of people got mad too because they want the whole medical school experience(which I don't blame them). I am all up for moving all the classes online for the first few months, but I guess we just have to see what happen next

I’m thankful they are working on finding a balance between online and in person classes. I think starting medical school fully online would be very isolating and add an unnecessary element of difficultly. Plus it’s unlikely this pandemic will be over in a few months, so I don’t see any sense in delaying partial in person classes such as labs as long as precautions are taken. As someone else mentioned too, we are paying a high tuition, and id like to benefit from in person anatomy and such. I’m sure getting all these new practices into place is taking some time, and like with anything at the moment a little extra patience is required. They’ve ask that we all be there by June 15th and offered potential housing alternatives if that’s going to be difficult for anyone. I have a set time I need to be there by and that’s honestly all I need to plan at this point. I know when medical school is starting, and whether it’s fully online(doesn’t sound like it will be) or not, I’m still starting medical school and need to be settled. I certainly wouldn’t want to move in the middle of the semester if they delay in person classes anyways. That’s just how I’m looking at it all. No sense in getting stressed about something that’s out of everyone’s control. Nobody can control the virus or know how exactly the pandemic will continue to unfold at this point so there is uncertainty in many aspects of life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I’m thankful they are working on finding a balance between online and in person classes. I think starting medical school fully online would be very isolating and add an unnecessary element of difficultly. Plus it’s unlikely this pandemic will be over in a few months, so I don’t see any sense in delaying partial in person classes such as labs as long as precautions are taken. As someone else mentioned too, we are paying a high tuition, and id like to benefit from in person anatomy and such. I’m sure getting all these new practices into place is taking some time, and like with anything at the moment a little extra patience is required. They’ve ask that we all be there by June 15th and offered potential housing alternatives if that’s going to be difficult for anyone. I have a set time I need to be there by and that’s honestly all I need to plan at this point. I know when medical school is starting, and whether it’s fully online(doesn’t sound like it will be) or not, I’m still starting medical school and need to be settled. I certainly wouldn’t want to move in the middle of the semester if they delay in person classes anyways. That’s just how I’m looking at it all. No sense in getting stressed about something that’s out of everyone’s control. Nobody can control the virus or know how exactly the pandemic will continue to unfold at this point so there is uncertainty in many aspects of life.

Understand that it’s an unprecedented period of time and the pandemic has affected many aspects of life. But with June 15th as being the deadline to pay the tuition, which is in two weeks, I still think they should let the accepted students know what the plan would be roughly. We’re not impatient or being unreasonable. June 15th is two weeks away, right around the corner. It’s not like we’re asking for information three months before the classes start. Plus, not everyone’s in a position where they can just wait and see when they have other personal stuff to sort out and plan based on the information of what they’re gonna do

Reactions: 1 users
Understand that it’s an unprecedented period of time and the pandemic has affected many aspects of life. But with June 15th as being the deadline to pay the tuition, which is in two weeks, I still think they should let the accepted students know what the plan would be roughly. We’re not impatient or being unreasonable. June 15th is two weeks away, right around the corner. It’s not like we’re asking for information three months before the classes start. Plus, not everyone’s in a position where they can just wait and see when they have other personal stuff to sort out and plan based on the information of what they’re gonna do

I’m moving from far and coming with a SO who has to leave a good job and so on so lots of moving parts to figure out. It’s super stressful with the lack of information! I was just saying I appreciate that they are trying to maybe start us with some in person time which I’m sure depends on a lot of evolving guidelines. I’d love a cut and dry answer from the school too, but It’s unlikely classes will be virtual for the whole year and moving while taking classes sounds like a bad idea so I decided to go ahead with planning a move regardless. Hopefully we get some more concrete answers soon.

e x a c t l y

what information have you gotten from them when you've expressed your thoughts on this?? i'm new here lol

I sent them an email asking for more info a week ago. They just said it wasn’t available, and there will be some sort of communication when it’s available. The same/vague stuff we’ve been hearing for the past month.

Anyone else here who’s reached out to school for more info?

Since the 14 day quarantine is ?mandatory , does that mean the latest we can hear back with a decision from the waitlist is by 6/15?

Since the 14 day quarantine is ?mandatory , does that mean the latest we can hear back with a decision from the waitlist is by 6/15?
That's a great question. In my opinion, I highly doubt it would be the last date we could hear back regarding a decision. However, I just might be more optimistic than you. From what I've seen and heard, students are accepted up through the first week or two of classes. In other words, I'd be very surprised to see a rejection letter from UNE COM on June 15th for those on the waitlist (myself included).

That's a great question. In my opinion, I highly doubt it would be the last date we could hear back regarding a decision. However, I just might be more optimistic than you. From what I've seen and heard, students are accepted up through the first week or two of classes. In other words, I'd be very surprised to see a rejection letter from UNE COM on June 15th for those on the waitlist (myself included).

So I ended up just reaching out to admissions. They basically told me they do not know lol. I agree with you though because anyone could drop the acceptance anytime between now and orientation. Welp the waiting continues. Really hoping to hear back soon!

I live in Maine and I am still on the waitlist. I guess I would have the benefit of not needing a quarantine if being accepted as classes started.

My condolences for those coming from far away.

While I am excited to receive an A from UNECOM, I really wished I didn't have to move in this early ugh. On my other waitlist schools, they don't even start until late July lol.

Maine just announced a change to the quarantine process. With a negative covid-19 test no more than 72 hours old, you can forgo the quarantine requirement, effective July 1st, so just in time! Good news for those on the waitlist???

• Love
How do people generally dress for lecture/OMK? Is it just casual or is it more business casual?

just wondering as the dress code policy writes “Course directors have the discretion to require Preceptor Dress for other activities as deemed necessary for the course.” Not sure if, particularly during sweltering summer months, I’d be able to wear anything above the knees...

How do people generally dress for lecture/OMK? Is it just casual or is it more business casual?

just wondering as the dress code policy writes “Course directors have the discretion to require Preceptor Dress for other activities as deemed necessary for the course.” Not sure if, particularly during sweltering summer months, I’d be able to wear anything above the knees...

On my interview day students were wearing a variety of clothing, it did not appear to be business casual.

Maine just announced a change to the quarantine process. With a negative covid-19 test no more than 72 hours old, you can forgo the quarantine requirement, effective July 1st, so just in time! Good news for those on the waitlist???

I just want to double-check since I have not received the updates from UNECOM about this yet. But does this mean that accepted people from out of state do not have to follow two weeks quarantine rules after this change aka not moving on the 15th?

I just want to double-check since I have not received the updates from UNECOM about this yet. But does this mean that accepted people from out of state do not have to follow two weeks quarantine rules after this change aka not moving on the 15th?
I have been asking student services this exact question since yesterday. The latest information I have gotten is that they are aware of the release and that they are not sure if it will effect our quarantine requirements :nailbiting: The Dean is working on a letter to update the students on what this means. But, not sure when that will be sent out..

• Angry
  • Sad
I have been asking student services this exact question since yesterday. The latest information I have gotten is that they are aware of the release and that they are not sure if it will effect our quarantine requirements :nailbiting: The Dean is working on a letter to update the students on what this means. But, not sure when that will be sent out..

Yeah, I am getting slightly annoyed by this haha. Hopefully, the Dean will update us by tomorrow or at least the end of this week. I feel bad for people who lived in faraway states like Cali or 10 states away because of plane tickets and stuff along with 15 days quarantined. Hopefully, we will know something by this week.

Yeah, I am getting slightly annoyed by this haha. Hopefully, the Dean will update us by tomorrow or at least the end of this week. I feel bad for people who lived in faraway states like Cali or 10 states away because of plane tickets and stuff along with 15 days quarantined. Hopefully, we will know something by this week.
Yes! I am in south Florida so I am in that boat. I plan on driving but that takes days to do safely and to plan stops along the way. Hopefully tomorrow is the day when this will be cleared up.

• Wow
The second years were updated on the new policy during a class meeting yesterday that you could technically come after June 15th, but you would have to test negative for COVID up to 72 hours prior to getting to Maine. I personally think it's safer and easier to just get to Maine and settle in 15 days prior and quarantine so that you're ready to go come July 1st, but you at least have the option now. I hope the dean puts out an official statement soon for you all, but that's the information we have.

Back in my day UNE didn't start classes until August...

That’s a very recent change over the last couple years. My class was the last class to start at the end of July and one of the first class to start the next year at the beginning of July.

Why in the world are they doing this?!

As I understand to allow us to finish 3rd year earlier and get on to 4 year auditions earlier. The upcoming 3rd year class starts rotations July 6th when my class didn’t start til the 3rd week of July last year.

LOL not sure when that letter of “we will have more information later” which is pretty much no information will be released. I am just so frustrated with their lack of communication!!!!

LET'S SEE IF WE'RE GONNA GET THAT EMAIL ABOUT THE DETAILED WEEKLY SCHEDULE TODAY

• Haha
We received an email regarding the upcoming semester today. Does anyone have any information on how Gross Anatomy will be taught? The email only referred to OMM and clinical skills being taught in the classroom setting.

We received an email regarding the upcoming semester today. Does anyone have any information on how Gross Anatomy will be taught? The email only referred to OMM and clinical skills being taught in the classroom setting.
No idea but they did say they will send out a Zoom meeting next week specifically to go over schedules

Same! The letter didn't mention anything about the anatomy class

does anyone know if the waitlist has had any recent movement? was waitlisted in February and haven't heard anything since.

Anyone have any more info about the Zoom meeting re: the curriculum that's supposed to be happening this week? They mentioned it in the letter they sent last Friday but I haven't received any additional updates nor seen anything posted on the website.

Anyone have any more info about the Zoom meeting re: the curriculum that's supposed to be happening this week? They mentioned it in the letter they sent last Friday but I haven't received any additional updates nor seen anything posted on the website.

Nope. We’re all in the same boat in complete darkness

Hi all,
I finally got the axe this week after being complete since Sept. It's okay bc I already got into NYITCOM so it was pretty funny.

Hi all,
I finally got the axe this week after being complete since Sept. It's okay bc I already got into NYITCOM so it was pretty funny.
Congrats on NYITCOM! Just to clarify, you were complete at UNECOM in September and just got rejected pre-II, correct?

Congrats on NYITCOM! Just to clarify, you were complete at UNECOM in September and just got rejected pre-II, correct?
Yiss
And thank you! I was WL'd and was ready for a reapp when I got in!

OMK lecture (if you plan to even attend) is extremely casual/ comfortable. Occasionally (1-2 times per month) you'll have to wear formal attire with white coats to mandatory events/ CPCs.

Received the official decision letter this morning that UNECOM has filled all seats for the Class of 2024 :cryi: Will be reapplying here for the 2020-2021 cycle if not accepted off a waitlist elsewhere in the next few weeks. It's been a good run on this thread - good luck to everyone else!