2019-2020 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind sharing, why did you choose to live in Portland rather than Biddeford/Saco? I have been considering the same since I will be moving from a large city and quite enjoy the city feeling. What would you say are the pros and cons or living in Portland?

My significant other works closer to this side of town so it was a good middle point for us.

Pros:Although I study at home, I’m away from the stress that the school environment brings and it’s really nice, I like my drives because I can listen to podcasts, lectures, or just sit in silence and let the sound of the road be meditative for me (sometimes it’s needed lol), I’m close to nightlife and Lyft is like $5 (Lyft to biddo would be expensive), I love food and the restaurants in Portland are great and I like being so close to be able to explore.

Cons: sometimes after a really long day at school I don’t want to drive a half hour and just wish I was home sleeping already lol. This doesn’t happen very often though.There is tolls so those can add up but its not bad. however that may be because my significant other uses the tolls too and we have the same account so we always get 50% off our total lol.

That’s all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My significant other works closer to this side of town so it was a good middle point for us.

Pros:Although I study at home, I’m away from the stress that the school environment brings and it’s really nice, I like my drives because I can listen to podcasts, lectures, or just sit in silence and let the sound of the road be meditative for me (sometimes it’s needed lol), I’m close to nightlife and Lyft is like $5 (Lyft to biddo would be expensive), I love food and the restaurants in Portland are great and I like being so close to be able to explore.

Cons: sometimes after a really long day at school I don’t want to drive a half hour and just wish I was home sleeping already lol. This doesn’t happen very often though.There is tolls so those can add up but its not bad. however that may be because my significant other uses the tolls too and we have the same account so we always get 50% off our total lol.

That’s all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

So did you drive almost every day back and forth to and from Portland during the first year? Did you find it exhausting? Especially with the first year schedule jam packed with lots lectures, anatomy etc? You said you study at home, so how many times do you feel like you’re commuting to school now that you’re a second year?

Members don't see this ad :)
So did you drive almost every day back and forth to and from Portland during the first year? Did you find it exhausting? Especially with the first year schedule jam packed with lots lectures, anatomy etc? You said you study at home, so how many times do you feel like you’re commuting to school now that you’re a second year?

Oh, I drive to school everyday. It’s on the rare occasion I don’t have to go in for something. Second year, I just don’t have to be at school for as long. so I guess that could be annoying to some people but it doesn’t really bother me.

Received admissions decision today - Waitlisted. Interviewed on 02/04.

do you guys think that interviewing in March would probably lead to a waitlist?
I interviewed on 02/04 and one of my interviewers was very forthcoming about the limited seats remaining, i.e. likely interviewing for a position on the waitlist . I received an admissions decision on 02/24 and was waitlisted. So, if you're interviewing in March you will more than likely be interviewing for a spot on the waitlist. Hope this helps!

Interviewed February, received an acceptance earlier this week! Also, just thought I would add, no one mentioned to me that they were interviewing for the waitlist. Best of luck to those of you going up there in March!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed February, received an acceptance earlier this week! Also, just thought I would add, no one mentioned to me that they were interviewing for the waitlist. Best of luck to those of you going up there in March!
congrats on the acceptance, have an interview next weekend!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Just to clarify, the interviewer did not explicitly state that I was interviewing for a position on the waitlist. She just mentioned that the probability of ending up on the waitlist was higher given how many seats they had already filled and that it was later in the cycle. I am not trying to dissuade anyone from attending an upcoming interview, I was just sharing my experience at my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected, interviewed on 2/15. Is it acceptable to email them and ask why or how to improve? I’m feeling disappointed, I thought I did well at my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, interviewed on 2/15. Is it acceptable to email them and ask why or how to improve? I’m feeling disappointed, I thought I did well at my interview.
Sorry to hear about your rejection. I emailed all my interviewers subsequent to the interview and they were very responsive. I'm currently on the waitlist but if I had to guess I bet you'd receive some feedback from them.

Anyone hear back from the March 7 interview? I'm assuming the decision may be delayed due to the virus and campus closing.
Not yet, the email said 4-5 weeks so I’m hoping for early April

Hey all! I interviewed on 3/5 and heard back on 3/17 about a waitlist spot. Went ahead and accepted a spot on the WL — fingers crossed!

i heart back from my 3/5 interview about a WL spot!
thank you so much responding, mind if I ask when you heard back? Also was it through mail or email?

Last edited:
thank you so much responding, mind if I ask when you heard back? Also was it through mail or email?
I interviewed on 3/5 and heard back on 3/17 through email! The email subject was: UNE COM Decision Letter with an email attachment of a letter.

Any update from those on the 3/7 interview on a decision? Saw that people who interviewed 3/5 heard back. Hopefully we'll be next!

waitlisted, interviewed 3/7

waitlisted, interviewed on 3/7. Accepted the waitlist spot, here's to even more waiting

Last edited:
They will claim they are, but they are not. They don't simply assess by pass fail for each exam and quiz. Instead they break up each assessment into "disciplines" and "competencies" which you are they graded on a pass fail basis.

I won't go into the competencies because they're complicated, but here are the disciplines:
Biochemistry
Cell Biology and Genetics
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Physiology
Nutrition
EBM

For example, on my last quiz:

The quiz was a total of 20 questions.
2 Biochem questions
2 Pharmacology questions
15 Physiology questions
1 Nutrition question

I got a 19/20 on the quiz. So by most schools standards that would be not only a pass but a high pass/honors

However, that is the not the case here. The one question I missed was the nutrition question, therefore, I received a score of 0/1 in nutrition, which is a failing grade in nutrition for this assessment despite getting an A on the overall quiz.

This might not seem like a huge issue, however, guess what...

There's only been one nutrition question all semester.

I have personally gotten what would be the equivalent of an A on ever exam this semester, but I'm failing nutrition and as a result, I may fail our for the entire year and have to repeat year 1. I've been getting As and Bs on all my assessments all year.

The school is just plain stupid.

Don't come here.

They may a highly ranked DO university and have a good reputation in New England, but they treat their students awfully, and bluntly lie to recruit students here

They claim they are pass/fail - This is not a pass fail system in my opinion

They claim attendance is not mandatory - many of the classes are mandatory, especially the first semester

They claim such a high pass rate on the boards, but that's only because they don't allow their students to take step 1 until they've passed the practice exam. It effectively inflates our scores relative to other schools who don't do the same.

For real, if you have the choice, don't come here

wow. Doesn’t seem to make sense that one question you got wrong out of all the quizzes and tests you take throughout the semester makes you fail out of the entire year and you have to repeat the whole entire year all over again. Then no one ever would have graduated from the school and become a doctor. I personally think that the school not allowing students to take the Step 1 before passing their practice exam only helps students if anything so they can be prepared for step to the fullest and get matched into their number one choice of residency program. You sound pissed and I think your opinion of the school might be skewed a little due to your feelings... telling other applicants not to come to the school due to that is a little too much in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted as well from the 3/7 group. When are deposits due to most schools, isn't there a date in May? I've heard there is and after that day there can be a lot of movement on waitlists...

Waitlisted as well from the 3/7 group. When are deposits due to most schools, isn't there a date in May? I've heard there is and after that day there can be a lot of movement on waitlists...
Could maybe someone who has been accepted to UNE and has received the matriculation packet let us know?

Could maybe someone who has been accepted to UNE and has received the matriculation packet let us know?
I believe that it depends on when you were accepted. Like for me, my second deposit is due 60 days after I put down my first (which was due in two weeks after acceptance), so it'll be due in April. I would refer to the AACOMAS traffic deadlines because I think that they provide details on when certain deposits are due! Hope that helps.

They will claim they are, but they are not. They don't simply assess by pass fail for each exam and quiz. Instead they break up each assessment into "disciplines" and "competencies" which you are they graded on a pass fail basis.

I won't go into the competencies because they're complicated, but here are the disciplines:
Biochemistry
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Physiology
Nutrition
EBM

2 Biochem questions
2 Pharmacology questions
15 Physiology questions
1 Nutrition question

I got a 19/20 on the quiz. So by most schools standards that would be not only a pass but a high pass/honors

However, that is the not the case here. The one question I missed was the nutrition question, therefore, I received a score of 0/1 in nutrition, which is a failing grade in nutrition for this assessment despite getting an A on the overall quiz.

I have personally gotten what would be the equivalent of an A on ever exam this semester, but I'm failing nutrition and as a result, I may fail our for the entire year and have to repeat year 1. I've been getting As and Bs on all my assessments all year.

Don't come here.

They may a highly ranked DO university and have a good reputation in New England, but they treat their students awfully, and bluntly lie to recruit students here

They claim attendance is not mandatory - many of the classes are mandatory, especially the first semester

They claim such a high pass rate on the boards, but that's only because they don't allow their students to take step 1 until they've passed the practice exam. It effectively inflates our scores relative to other schools who don't do the same.

Do you 100% feel that people shouldn't go here? I will be enrolling and it makes me concerned that you feel so strongly about this. But I also think that maybe everyone's experience is different and I should take it with a grain of salt. I hope that things improve for you.. I'm sorry you feel this way.

I know . I’ve interviewed already but currently waitlisted
Oh! Then hell yeah you should send a well written LOI! It could definitely help your ranking on the waitlist! Good luck! I have a friend who sent a LOI during the 2017-2018 cycle and got in off of the waitlist on the very first day of orientation!

Has anyone tried calling about waitlist movement, is the school even receptive to that? I sent a letter of intent, just really trying to show my interest in the school. thanks for any advice!

Got the pre II rejection email today, as well.

Is it worth sending a letter on intent after being put on waitlist? Is it considered, it doesnt say in the letter

I suppose I can't say if it's better or worse elsewhere, but if I could go back in time and choose one of the other schools I was admitted to, I would. I'm not going to say I'm in a terrible boat, because I've kicked ass this semester, but last semester, 6 students failed out. Something to think about.
This is crazy! No one at my school has "failed out". If you are failing the class at the end of the semester, you do a retake of an exam and if you fail that you remediate the course over the summer or in the next year. This has to be a horrible attrition rate!

Biochemistry
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Physiology
Nutrition
EBM

2 Biochem questions
2 Pharmacology questions
15 Physiology questions
1 Nutrition question

Don't come here.

HI everyone,

also current first year at UNE and while certain aspect of this are true. majority of it is wrong. It makes me sad to see classmates post stuff like this when the confusion arises from their own misunderstanding our our grading system. if anyone needs clarification on anything please feel free to message me. be rest assured that UNE is a great school that 99% of people have no issues with. And to this person, sorry that you feel this way but it doesnt help anyone by voicing ur frustrations on SDN, and if you are going to voice them atleast give context. and BTW your not gonna fail because of nutrition

Reactions: 5 users
HI everyone,

also current first year at UNE and while certain aspect of this are true. majority of it is wrong. It makes me sad to see classmates post stuff like this when the confusion arises from their own misunderstanding our our grading system. if anyone needs clarification on anything please feel free to message me. be rest assured that UNE is a great school that 99% of people have no issues with. And to this person, sorry that you feel this way but it doesnt help anyone by voicing ur frustrations on SDN, and if you are going to voice them atleast give context. and BTW your not gonna fail because of nutrition

thank you so much for your clarification. I interviewed in September and have talked to so many UNE students since then asking a variety of questions regarding the grade and school in general and never encountered anyone who had such a negative reaction. The previous OP made it sound like he failed out of the entire school year because of the one question he got wrong on the nutrition class. It felt wrong for him to tell other applicants excited to apply/enroll in school not to come.

This is crazy! No one at my school has "failed out". If you are failing the class at the end of the semester, you do a retake of an exam and if you fail that you remediate the course over the summer or in the next year. This has to be a horrible attrition rate!
thank you so much for your clarification. I interviewed in September and have talked to so many UNE students since then asking a variety of questions regarding the grade and school in general and never encountered anyone who had such a negative reaction. The previous OP made it sound like he failed out of the entire school year because of the one question he got wrong on the nutrition class. It felt wrong for him to tell other applicants excited to apply/enroll in school not to come.

Ya, I dnt like when stuff like this gets posted bc while aspects of it are correct such as we get graded on disciplines are true, alot of people dnt understand how it works and get worried by stuff like getting 1 nutrition question wrong. My best advice is do your best and dnt stress yourself out over the grading. Also UNE isnt the only school that grades like this, lots of medical schools do and more are starting to.

Biochemistry
Immunology
Microbiology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Physiology
Nutrition
EBM

2 Biochem questions
2 Pharmacology questions
15 Physiology questions
1 Nutrition question

Don't come here.

Hey, another first year here. When I was enrolling into UNE COM, I saw posts like these on SDN and got freaked out so I wanted to make sure that I said something for those in the same boat. Although the information about disciplines is true, this is not an accurate description of the school or how "easy it is to fail out". We are given a ton of chances to answer questions on disciplines and if we do somehow fail a discipline, the faculty are EXTREMELY supportive in spending however much time you need to solidify your understanding of their topic whether it is nutrition, biochem, or physiology for the retake exam. I knew someone who had to retake a discipline and the professor for that subject sat down with them for 12 hours to make sure they passed, and they did. Many of the students that failed the semester also had other things going on and the OG poster does not have all of the information to throw something out like that. So please don't worry! UNE COM has been a fantastic school in my opinion. They always keep our opinions, wellness, and feedback in mind for every decision. Even right now with COVID, they are setting up zoom meetings to talk to the deans directly about anything we're concerned about on a weekly basis. I could go on and on about how supportive administration is. Please feel free to message me directly with any hesitations or questions and good luck with the rest of the cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey, another first year here. When I was enrolling into UNE COM, I saw posts like these on SDN and got freaked out so I wanted to make sure that I said something for those in the same boat. Although the information about disciplines is true, this is not an accurate description of the school or how "easy it is to fail out". We are given a ton of chances to answer questions on disciplines and if we do somehow fail a discipline, the faculty are EXTREMELY supportive in spending however much time you need to solidify your understanding of their topic whether it is nutrition, biochem, or physiology for the retake exam. I knew someone who had to retake a discipline and the professor for that subject sat down with them for 12 hours to make sure they passed, and they did. Many of the students that failed the semester also had other things going on and the OG poster does not have all of the information to throw something out like that. So please don't worry! UNE COM has been a fantastic school in my opinion. They always keep our opinions, wellness, and feedback in mind for every decision. Even right now with COVID, they are setting up zoom meetings to talk to the deans directly about anything we're concerned about on a weekly basis. I could go on and on about how supportive administration is. Please feel free to message me directly with any hesitations or questions and good luck with the rest of the cycle!

thank you!! You guys are awesome! Can’t wait to start school so soon :) do you think the school would transition to online come July due to COVID? I mean no one knows how long the social distancing measure has to go for, but even with the apex reached and the cases falling down, I heard that everything has to very slowly open back up. So much uncertainties...

thank you!! You guys are awesome! Can’t wait to start school so soon :) do you think the school would transition to online come July due to COVID? I mean no one knows how long the social distancing measure has to go for, but even with the apex reached and the cases falling down, I heard that everything has to very slowly open back up. So much uncertainties...
This is definitely a time of uncertainty, and I don't know what is going to happen come July, but I think that would be the most plausible course of action if things are still shut down, unfortunately. Let's hope that this all clears, but I also know the school is monitoring everything and planning to try to have this be as smooth of a transition as possible!

After reading some of the posts on this thread, specifically some from my classmates, I wanted to address a few things for the incoming students (and potential applicants in the future who may be scoping out schools):

1) Your experience at ANY medical school will be quite unique from anyone else, including people at the same school as you.
Medical school is a difficult endeavor, no matter where you attend. Just because one (two, three, four, even ten) people may have had a bad experience during their first year at a particular school, certainly does not mean you will. You will never know the exact circumstances that surround an individual's situation, therefore, it is impossible to predict whether you may face similar difficulties.

2) Someone posted here saying you shouldn't attend this school based on the grading system, and mentioned they would "potentially fail out for missing one nutrition question".
This student is clearly being extremely dramatic, and I emphasize the word extremely. There must be a certain number of questions asked in a particular discipline in order to warrant you "failing" that discipline and needing to retest the discipline before you actually are in any form of danger to repeat the year. Please use your own logic and understand that medical schools do not want to fail you, they WANT you to succeed and UNE is no different. If this student actually spent some time to understand the grading system they would know that they are in no danger to fail, especially with getting mostly A's and B's on all assessments. To be quite honest with you, it is difficult to fail at UNE contrary to apparent "popular" belief. AND, if you are in any sort of academic risk/danger, the administration will contact you and you will be notified about your areas of deficiencies and how to improve. Not only this, but you aren't just "thrown out" or "forced to repeat", there are remediation assessments that, if you truly study for, can prevent you from being held back.

3) UNE is an incredible school. Unfortunately, the rigors of medical school can tend to cause some students to become jaded and as a result, they take out their frustration on their institution. Please see through this type of behavior.
I have had, I would say, a 90% positive experience at UNE through my first year, and the 10% negative should be expected at any medical school. No school is perfect, none.

Private message me if you'd like to talk about anything in particular. To those accepted, congratulations.

Stay safe!

Reactions: 7 users
As a third year who cannot comment too much on the curriculum since my first year curriculum was different, I will say that UNE does a fantastic job at preparing students for their 3rd year!

Hey y'all. question for accepted or current students:

Do you know if students still continue to go to class even if they have negative titers and are in the process of getting re-vaccinated? Because some of those take MONTHS to complete. Could not really find this information on UNE's website!

Do you know if students still continue to go to class even if they have negative titers and are in the process of getting re-vaccinated? Because some of those take MONTHS to complete. Could not really find this information on UNE's website!

I'm low on the measles portion of my MMR and am struggling to find a place to get vaccinated. Do you have a suggestion? The Walgreens I called isn't doing vaccinations because of COVID. Should I go to an urgent care?

I'm low on the measles portion of my MMR and am struggling to find a place to get vaccinated. Do you have a suggestion? The Walgreens I called isn't doing vaccinations because of COVID. Should I go to an urgent care?
No idea actually! Is that the same with CVS? Ive been PPD placements from my PCP. Maybe an UC might work too!

Have you guys been able to see your PCP for PE at all? My appointment was in early April but rescheduled to end of April then now to the middle of May due to lots of hospitals here in MA not accepting patients unless medically urgent due to COVID. I thought the immunization form had to be filled out by a medical provider?

Have you guys been able to see your PCP for PE at all? My appointment was in early April but rescheduled to end of April then now to the middle of May due to lots of hospitals here in MA not accepting patients unless medically urgent due to COVID. I thought the immunization form had to be filled out by a medical provider?

my PCP in florida set up an electronic video appointment. you could ask if your pcp can do a phone or electronic physical exam. I've been going to an urgent care in cambridge for my titer. have to find a place to get re vaccinated tho...

my PCP in florida set up an electronic video appointment. you could ask if your pcp can do a phone or electronic physical exam. I've been going to an urgent care in cambridge for my titer. have to find a place to get re vaccinated tho...

oh okay. Will have to contract my PCP and see if they offer that! I thought MMR(two doses) vaccines were all required for students enrolling in colleges at least here in MA. How do you know if you need to be re-vaccinated? Honestly, I am so paranoid of going to any UC or health care facility due to covid.....