2019-2020 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely meant TMDSAS! And I didn’t even think about them being closed today. I’ll check tomorrow. Thank you @wysdoc.

I don't think they were closed today. I sent my UHCOM message to TMDSAS on Friday 2/14 around 10am and heard back today around 9am from TMDSAS stating that they transmitted my app. Maybe give it some time tomorrow and send another message/call if you still don't hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think they would be receptive to update letters? I’ve had a significant update from the time my TMDSAS was completed and worried UHCOM’s secondary is not going to be any additional essays. I don’t want to slam them with information since they likely will have to review so much but at the same time my update is significant.

Do you guys think they would be receptive to update letters? I’ve had a significant update from the time my TMDSAS was completed and worried UHCOM’s secondary is not going to be any additional essays. I don’t want to slam them with information since they likely will have to review so much but at the same time my update is significant.

I emailed the adcom and they said it’s their policy they cannot take update letters, but you can talk about your recent activities during your interview

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the adcom and they said it’s their policy they cannot take update letters, but you can talk about your recent activities during your interview

Thanks for sharing that ! Hopefully I’m offered an interview. Good luck!

Definitely meant TMDSAS! And I didn’t even think about them being closed today. I’ll check tomorrow. Thank you @wysdoc.
Just to chime in, a friend checked with TMDSAS today and they are still processing submissions! Don't sweat it yet!

Got a reply back this morning around 8:30am that my application was transmitted.

Anyone else send a message to TMDSAS* about adding UHCOM and not heard back yet? I’ve even checked status and my application has not been sent to UHCOM. My message was sent on 2/14 at 10am. Should I send another message or call at this point? I realize it’s only been two business days but time is of the essence.
I sent mine in at 9:00 on the 14th and just heard back about it this morning. I am sure they are swamped and getting to them as best they can. Good luck!

I’m just wondering why they didn’t go in order of when the messages were submitted.

Anyone who received their secondary still has their letters of reference not received?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who received their secondary still has their letters of reference not received?
yeah, it says that on the application but when I clicked on the link it specifies all my LORs and the date they were received from TMDSAS. Probably just a glitch, or maybe they haven't processed it yet.

For those who got a secondary do you mind sharing your stats and when TMDSAS transmitted your application?

Reactions: 7 users
For those who got a secondary do you mind sharing your stats and when TMDSAS transmitted your application?
IS, 3.5 cGPA (3.9 last 70 hours), 524 MCAT, submitted end of June transmitted mid-July

I already had good research experience, but I am hoping to talk about it more during the interview, since I submitted TMDSAS I have now a first authorship, poster, and 3 published papers.

Everything else is pretty standard in terms of ECs

edit: I also am from Houston and went to UH undergrad

Reactions: 6 users
OOS with no connection to TX, transmitted early July. Non-traditional (currently working in healthcare policy and admin), 3.2 undergrad with 4.0 postbac and 522 MCAT.

Does anyone have any idea how much they're filtering secondaries?

Reactions: 1 users
What does the secondary entail?

Received email at 10pm notifying me my application was “complete”.

Good luck y’all!

IS, 3.5 cGPA (3.9 last 70 hours), 524 MCAT, submitted end of June transmitted mid-July

I already had good research experience, but I am hoping to talk about it more during the interview, since I submitted TMDSAS I have now a first authorship, poster, and 3 published papers.

Everything else is pretty standard in terms of ECs

edit: I also am from Houston and went to UH undergrad
OOS with no connection to TX, transmitted early July. Non-traditional (currently working in healthcare policy and admin), 3.2 undergrad with 4.0 postbac and 522 MCAT.

Does anyone have any idea how much they're filtering secondaries?

Would you all say your applications were very primary care focused?

No, I didn't indicate any preference for specialty (other than maybe my shadowing, which wasn't in primary care). My current job involves healthcare delivery to underserved populations and I did mention I wanted to find a way to continue some of that work, so maybe that caught their attention? Or maybe they did send out a bunch of secondaries but the number of people who applied TMDSAS and updated to include UH and are on SDN is too small.

No, I didn't indicate any preference for specialty (other than maybe my shadowing, which wasn't in primary care). My current job involves healthcare delivery to underserved populations and I did mention I wanted to find a way to continue some of that work, so maybe that caught their attention? Or maybe they did send out a bunch of secondaries but the number of people who applied TMDSAS and updated to include UH and are on SDN is too small.

I doubt that the number of folks on SDN who added UH is small. Judging by reactions on this thread to my comments and others above, there are at least 30-50 folks who haven’t received secondaries yet.... some of whom sent their apps in the first 5 minutes of TMDSAS notifying them they could do so. For me, the confusion is based on the Admissions Staff telling me on the phone two days ago that they weren’t sending secondaries until next week and then they sent them the next day haha so their review process isn’t exactly clear (as expected, because they’re a new school figuring it out.)

N=2 but the first two reported secondaries are MCAT scores greater than 520 (and not necessarily the first two apps they received). This is why I think folks are curious about whether your app is primary care focused. Brings back my question of how they’ll manage to review thousands of apps in two weeks without filtering by some numeric app component... maybe they’re reviewing based on objective scores and grades and moving downward... rather than by order of when they were received by TMDSAS and by UH. These are just thoughts and curiosities: we have to be patient I know and we may never get these answers. That’s understood (adding this before anyone says we’re all just being impatient and neurotic.)

Last edited:
I doubt that the number of folks on SDN who added UH is small. Judging by reactions on this thread to my comments and others above, there are at least 30-50 folks who haven’t received secondaries yet. For me, the confusion is based on the Admissions Staff telling me on the phone two days ago that they weren’t sending secondaries until next week and then they sent them the next day haha so their review process isn’t exactly clear.

N=2 but the first two reported secondaries are MCAT scores greater than 520 (and not necessarily the first two apps they received). This is why I think folks are curious about whether your app is primary care focused. Brings back my question of how they’ll manage to review thousands of apps in two weeks without filtering by some numeric app component... maybe they’re reviewing based on objective scores and grades and moving downward... rather than by order of when they were received by TMDSAS and by UH. These are just thoughts and curiosities: we have to be patient I know (adding this before anyone says we’re all just being impatient and neurotic.)

I would think that if they can get interested candidates who have 520+ MCATs then holistic review of the applicant matters just a little less lol it’s free tuition for 30 seats. It’s going to be highly competitive.

I would think that if they can get interested candidates who have 520+ MCATs then holistic review of the applicant matters just a little less lol it’s free tuition for 30 seats. It’s going to be highly competitive.

lol very fair and very true. I’m hoping for holistic review not even necessarily for myself, but as a Houstonian who really loves this school’s mission and everything they seem to stand for and want to do in the Third Ward. Rooting for them! #GoCoogs

I doubt that the number of folks on SDN who added UH is small. Judging by reactions on this thread to my comments and others above, there are at least 30-50 folks who haven’t received secondaries yet. For me, the confusion is based on the Admissions Staff telling me on the phone two days ago that they weren’t sending secondaries until next week and then they sent them the next day haha so their review process isn’t exactly clear.

N=2 but the first two reported secondaries are MCAT scores greater than 520 (and not necessarily the first two apps they received). This is why I think folks are curious about whether your app is primary care focused. Brings back my question of how they’ll manage to review thousands of apps in two weeks without filtering by some numeric app component... maybe they’re reviewing based on objective scores and grades and moving downward... rather than by order of when they were received by TMDSAS and by UH. These are just thoughts and curiosities: we have to be patient I know (adding this before anyone says we’re all just being impatient and neurotic.)

That's a good point, I didn't really read through this thread first. I guess we'll see as more people get secondaries but it would make sense that they have to rely on stats a bit more given the extremely abbreviated timeline. Hopefully you get a secondary, especially if you're from TX! I'm happy they sent me one, but I'm not holding my breath for an interview here, as an OOS student I'm competing with who knows how many people for one of up to three spots.

That's a good point, I didn't really read through this thread first. I guess we'll see as more people get secondaries but it would make sense that they have to rely on stats a bit more given the extremely abbreviated timeline. Hopefully you get a secondary, especially if you're from TX! I'm happy they sent me one, but I'm not holding my breath for an interview here, as an OOS student I'm competing with who knows how many people for one of up to three spots.

Thank you! And best wishes to you!! Hoping we all land where we’re meant to be. :)

I actually have no specific PCP activities. I grew up in the Third Ward (still ORM) and many of my extracurriculars involve community outreach and involvement. My personal statement mirrors many of the values of the UHCOM but it’s not like I stated I was 100% PCP right from the get go.

To everyone wondering about the secondaries, I would not be surprised if they’re still going through all the primary applications and sending out secondaries as they’re able to. I submitted the primary app to UH 20 minutes after they sent the email, and a friend who is waited 4 more hours did not get his app transmitted until yesterday.

They only have until May 15th to assemble a class and I’m sure they’d like to get all of the primary/secondary applications processed as quickly as possible so they can have a good idea of what the applicant pool looks like. This is a new process for everyone so give it some time.

Edit: Given that the secondary app takes 3 minutes to fill out and is free I bet a decent % of TMDSAS applicants will apply, even if they’ve matched or decided on a school just so they can have options. Could see UH choosing out of ~2500 applicants

How many people applying have an acceptance elsewhere? Is the free tuition the motivation, ties to Houston area, or just another opportunity to interview at another school the motivation?

How many people applying have an acceptance elsewhere? Is the free tuition the motivation, ties to Houston area, or just another opportunity to interview at another school the motivation?

I have an acceptance elsewhere. Born and raised in Houston, UH alma mater, all my friends, family, and girlfriend are here. My professional network is in the TMC. I get to study/research/work in TMC. 6-figure scholarship. UH has seen crazy growth past 10 years in literally everything they’ve done, I’ve seen it all firsthand I believe the administration has the power to make this a fantastic medical school.

I have an acceptance elsewhere. Born and raised in Houston, UH alma mater, all my friends, family, and girlfriend are here. My professional network is in the TMC. I get to study/research/work in TMC. 6-figure scholarship. UH has seen crazy growth past 10 years in literally everything they’ve done, I’ve seen it all firsthand I believe the administration has the power to make this a fantastic medical school.

I have no doubt UH will become a great school. The medical center in Houston itself is incredible. If I had all the reasons you did to apply and didn’t have such an intense sense of loyalty and gratitude to the school I matched to, I certainly would be throwing my hat in the ring. I hope you’re one of the 30.

Last edited:
My apologies if my question offended anyone! I only asked out of curiosity. The initially ECs you all posted didn’t really mention primary care/underserved work, so I asked because of how much emphasis the school was placing on it. Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited:
I doubt that the number of folks on SDN who added UH is small. Judging by reactions on this thread to my comments and others above, there are at least 30-50 folks who haven’t received secondaries yet.... some of whom sent their apps in the first 5 minutes of TMDSAS notifying them they could do so. For me, the confusion is based on the Admissions Staff telling me on the phone two days ago that they weren’t sending secondaries until next week and then they sent them the next day haha so their review process isn’t exactly clear (as expected, because they’re a new school figuring it out.)

N=2 but the first two reported secondaries are MCAT scores greater than 520 (and not necessarily the first two apps they received). This is why I think folks are curious about whether your app is primary care focused. Brings back my question of how they’ll manage to review thousands of apps in two weeks without filtering by some numeric app component... maybe they’re reviewing based on objective scores and grades and moving downward... rather than by order of when they were received by TMDSAS and by UH. These are just thoughts and curiosities: we have to be patient I know and we may never get these answers. That’s understood (adding this before anyone says we’re all just being impatient and neurotic.)

Make that N=3

Sure the free tuition is motivating, but I also love the mission of the school. I am especially interested in community health and did research in it during undergrad. Also, I've already matched but I'll be several hundred miles away from my husband for the duration of med school because he is doing residency at the same time and the school I matched to doesn't have a program for him.

Received a secondary as well- for all the non-520++ers, I am well below that so who knows!

Reactions: 3 users
Got a secondary. LM~71

Got a secondary this morning as well (without having a 520+ MCAT score). Super excited!

I wonder if that was the bulk of them or if they are sending them in waves. I guess we'll see.

Around 9:30 AM the morning they opened
Maybe not based on transmission time then. But two people got secondaries yesterday and a bunch of people all at the same time today, which might mean they're doing them in waves. But there's no real way to know, have to wait and see... good luck!

And the deadline isn't until March anyway, so they might reevaluate all applicants every time they send out secondaries.

Secondary received! LM 71 and app transmitted here Monday morning

Last edited by a moderator:
the website says certain conditions may apply to maintain the scholarship. Does anyone happen to know what those are?

the website says certain conditions may apply to maintain the scholarship. Does anyone happen to know what those are?
Is there anything in particular you're worried about? :p

It's likely going to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress and not violating the school's policies, although it sounds like they haven't formally defined the conditions yet.