2019-2020 Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (Henderson, NV) TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Hello, everyone. Since the application cycle is getting underway, I wanted to share what I believe is an important information before deciding whether to apply to or attend Touro University Nevada.

Also, attached is the other side of the story.

Good luck to everyone on your applications and future endeavors!
Hey Eeyore thank you so much for this, I am a ongoing OMS-II and I am just finding out about this.

For those who want the TL;DR - a student was suing an OMM professor from TUN for apparently injuring her causing her to reactivate her Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) on her foot, a symptom she has had before but has since dissolved in recent years. Her and the professor in question both agree that the professor was trying to do a certain technique on her distal fibula, which he had trouble with, so he had to do a different technique to "open" up the fibula. The student was unaware that the professor was going to do the technique and since then the pain started to occur.
The student states she went to the course director to tell her about her pain, then in the following weeks/months states they were trying to indirectly force her to drop out of school. She states that the professors would make it difficult for her to learn such as not letting her be the demonstrator anymore for any technique, making her stay longer than usual since she had to be in a partner of 3 instead of 2, and making it difficult to find a partner during their practicals. She eventually did drop but tried to sue for her tuition money back and prove that TUN was at fault.
Student then states she was offered a NDA for $25,000 from TUN, which she declined.

My opinion:
I started school in 2018 while this occurred in 2015 so TUN may or may not have done some changes over those 3 years, so with that being said I will go by the syllabus that was given to me. With that being said, I have to stand by the professor in this case due to...
i. THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON: when you first get accepted you have to give TUN a physical exam from your primary doctor. A simple google search shows that CRPS is considered the "suicide disease" due to the pain being so unbearable that people kill themselves. If she did not put this in her physical where they ask if you have had any major medical issues in the past, no matter when the CRPS was resolved (she states 7 years), this is ultimately her fault.
ii. If she knew she had this problem in her foot, then she should have refused to be a demonstrator. The first technique of the fibula has the doctors hands on the distal fibula, near the ankle where she has had her problems. One of my friends who has had a knee problem in the past refused to do this technique because he did not want any issues that could occur. Another friend of mine had fractured their clavicle years ago and avoided any techniques near it. The professors do not mind at all. (She states professors berated her for not being a demonstrator)
iii. In her article she states that the director of OASIS, a center where students can go for educational help, asked if she was dropping out of school. Students in my class have torn their ACL, been in arm slings, torn MCL, and more who have been incredibly ill during the school year, and OASIS has been more than helpful for all of them.

Another thing she must know is that in the end she wanted the professor to just apologize for what had happened as she thought the doctors intentions were for no harm in the first place. Unfortunately, doctors are hesitant to apologize for anything because patients can seek that as guilt and that is easy pickings for a layer if things go to court. He may as well be remorseful for the incident, however, he is unable to express it.

In the end I do not believe this should detour you into applying to this school. Even though this case happened 3 years before I started, I have talked to students in her class and classes before them about TUN and they all had generally positive times with the school and staff. Do not let one bad case determine your future.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Eeyore thank you so much for this, I am a ongoing OMS-II and I am just finding out about this.

For those who want the TL;DR - a student was suing an OMM professor from TUN for apparently injuring her causing her to reactivate her Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) on her foot, a symptom she has had before but has since dissolved in recent years. Her and the professor in question both agree that the professor was trying to do a certain technique on her distal fibula, which he had trouble with, so he had to do a different technique to "open" up the fibula. The student was unaware that the professor was going to do the technique and since then the pain started to occur.
The student states she went to the course director to tell her about her pain, then in the following weeks/months states they were trying to indirectly force her to drop out of school. She states that the professors would make it difficult for her to learn such as not letting her be the demonstrator anymore for any technique, making her stay longer than usual since she had to be in a partner of 3 instead of 2, and making it difficult to find a partner during their practicals. She eventually did drop but tried to sue for her tuition money back and prove that TUN was at fault.
Student then states she was offered a NDA for $25,000 from TUN, which she declined.

My opinion:
I started school in 2018 while this occurred in 2015 so TUN may or may not have done some changes over those 3 years, so with that being said I will go by the syllabus that was given to me. With that being said, I have to stand by the professor in this case due to...
i. THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON: when you first get accepted you have to give TUN a physical exam from your primary doctor. A simple google search shows that CRPS is considered the "suicide disease" due to the pain being so unbearable that people kill themselves. If she did not put this in her physical where they ask if you have had any major medical issues in the past, no matter when the CRPS was resolved (she states 7 years), this is ultimately her fault.
ii. If she knew she had this problem in her foot, then she should have refused to be a demonstrator. The first technique of the fibula has the doctors hands on the distal fibula, near the ankle where she has had her problems. One of my friends who has had a knee problem in the past refused to do this technique because he did not want any issues that could occur. Another friend of mine had fractured their clavicle years ago and avoided any techniques near it. The professors do not mind at all. (She states professors berated her for not being a demonstrator)
iii. In her article she states that the director of OASIS, a center where students can go for educational help, asked if she was dropping out of school. Students in my class have torn their ACL, been in arm slings, torn MCL, and more who have been incredibly ill during the school year, and OASIS has been more than helpful for all of them.

Another thing she must know is that in the end she wanted the professor to just apologize for what had happened as she thought the doctors intentions were for no harm in the first place. Unfortunately, doctors are hesitant to apologize for anything because patients can seek that as guilt and that is easy pickings for a layer if things go to court. He may as well be remorseful for the incident, however, he is unable to express it.

In the end I do not believe this should detour you into applying to this school. Even though this case happened 3 years before I started, I have talked to students in her class and classes before them about TUN and they all had generally positive times with the school and staff. Do not let one bad case determine your future.
Thank you so much for your input and explanation of this incident, highly appreciated!

A whole new meaning to Dr. Google here... They may have changed the admissions physical requirements since 2015, but asking about every past medical event for students is actually a violation of the ADA unless there is a disability that explicitly prevents an individual from doing the given job. A past history of resolved pain does not prevent someone from being able to practice medicine. So if in fact they did start doing that, it's very illegal.

And the student in the given story did actually disclose the history to the school at the time of application.

Additionally, studies have shown that physicians are less likely to be sued if they take responsibility for their mistakes. A lesson taught in year one of medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
A whole new meaning to Dr. Google here... They may have changed the admissions physical requirements since 2015, but asking about every past medical event for students is actually a violation of the ADA unless there is a disability that explicitly prevents an individual from doing the given job. A past history of resolved pain does not prevent someone from being able to practice medicine. So if in fact they did start doing that, it's very illegal.

And the student in the given story did actually disclose the history to the school at the time of application.

Additionally, studies have shown that physicians are less likely to be sued if they take responsibility for their mistakes. A lesson taught in year one of medical school.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. I read both sides of the story. Yes, this incident was handled poorly by the university. But that shouldn't mean prospective applicants should shy away from applying here if it matches up for what they're looking for in a school.

A whole new meaning to Dr. Google here...
First off I never said I was a doctor, all I said was I used google for one fact, the rest was personal story. Nice shameful tactics to try to debunk my whole argument though.

They may have changed the admissions physical requirements since 2015, but asking about every past medical event for students is actually a violation of the ADA unless there is a disability that explicitly prevents an individual from doing the given job. A past history of resolved pain does not prevent someone from being able to practice medicine. So if in fact they did start doing that, it's very illegal.

Looking back at my physical documents it states "Place a check mark if you currently or have ever had any of the following."
Also when I went to medlineplus.gov, this popped up "There is no cure for CRPS, but the disease can be slowed. The main focus is on relieving the symptoms and helping people with this syndrome live as normal a life as possible." This was updated by Joseph V. Campellone, MD, Department of Neurology, Cooper Medical School at Rowan University. Dr. Campellone also mentioned this was a chronic disease.
Imagine if your doctor aggregated their CRPS, do you think they would not be prevented to do their job?
By letter of the law, this is not considered a past history, but a chronic disease she will live with for the rest of her life. Meaning even though her pain "resolved" she still had it, she was just able to manage it.

LOL then why did you just tell me that it was "very illegal" for the school to ask if she put it in her history in the first place. This is incredibly laughable that you are trying to cover your ground. But if she did then I would be on her side, however I have some random stranger on SDN telling me this so I cannot put any validation on it.

That may be true however, in this article Apologies and Medical Error, it states that patients are not likely to sue if the doctor apologizes vs not, but doctors are still hesitant to apologize in fear of litigation.
For the record we were not taught this in first year medical school.

Honestly I am done arguing with you.

SO for those that want to apply and have any questions please feel free to message me!

Does this school require Casper? On the casper website there is an option to send casper score to "Touro college DO" and im not sure if that means this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone receive secondaries yet?

This may be a stupid question, but what do they mean by composite MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a stupid question, but what do they mean by composite MCAT score?
First, I love the username... my axolotl is named Mowgli. Second, not a stupid question! Your composite score is simply the sum of all your sub-scores. Usually it refers to when you take more than one MCAT, then they use the highest of each section. So if you got a 123, 125, 125, 125 on the first MCAT but then scored 125, 128, 127, 123 on a second MCAT exam.... they would take the 125, 128, 127, and 125 as your score.

Secondary Received and OOS!! Just a quick question though. For the secondary, when it wants us to list all the experiences (work, volunteer, awards, research) are we just providing the information in the parentheses kind of like in list format. or are they expecting us to expand on those experiences with only 1000 characters? Thank you in advance for anyone's advice

Secondary Received and OOS!! Just a quick question though. For the secondary, when it wants us to list all the experiences (work, volunteer, awards, research) are we just providing the information in the parentheses kind of like in list format. or are they expecting us to expand on those experiences with only 1000 characters? Thank you in advance for anyone's advice
I am thinking of list format!

"Supplemental Questions"

There aren't any prompts just more resume type questions.

What award(s) or recognition(s) have you received within the last five years?
Employment experience during the last three years:
Volunteer experience, if any, during the last three years:
Research experience, if any, during the last three years:
Health professions or shadowing experience, if any, during the last three years:
Extracurricular activities or hobbies.

1000 characters each

First, I love the username... my axolotl is named Mowgli. Second, not a stupid question! Your composite score is simply the sum of all your sub-scores. Usually it refers to when you take more than one MCAT, then they use the highest of each section. So if you got a 123, 125, 125, 125 on the first MCAT but then scored 125, 128, 127, 123 on a second MCAT exam.... they would take the 125, 128, 127, and 125 as your score.

Aww that's cute :) and thank you for the help

Also got a secondary today OOS! It was straightforward.

What does it mean by sponsor? Do they want us to put down who funded our volunteering or who was our supervisor?

I'm confused about the LOR section. Will our letters from AACOMAS not transfer over? or do I need to make an additional request on this application?

I'm confused about the LOR section. Will our letters from AACOMAS not transfer over? or do I need to make an additional request on this application?

Read the directions closely. It stated they have the option to use their system. Since you uploaded yours to AACOMAS, you won’t need to do it on Touros application system, just put their names and requisite details in there.

Read the directions closely. It stated they have the option to use their system. Since you uploaded yours to AACOMAS, you won’t need to do it on Touros application system, just put their names and requisite details in there.
Ahhh I see. Thank you, I appreciate it!

Regarding the secondary questions about awards and recognitions within the last five years... does this mean we should include things from senior year of high school too?

Regarding the secondary questions about awards and recognitions within the last five years... does this mean we should include things from senior year of high school too?
I was always told to never put anything from high school.

Reactions: 3 users
I put an award in high school as it was within 5 years.

So what's the consensus on uploading a resume?

Hmmm, there doesn't appear to be much of a consensus...:shrug:

• Haha
I uploaded my resume. It was basically a repeat of my application, but I felt like it wouldn't hurt. I figured everyone should have a resume at this point and not uploading one would make me seem lazy.

I uploaded my resume. It was basically a repeat of my application, but I felt like it wouldn't hurt. I figured everyone should have a resume at this point and not uploading one would make me seem lazy.

Whoops.

No worries I didn’t upload one either. From my understanding, resumes are for interviewers to look at during the interview, but since Touro NV is open file, then it’s ok. But what do I know..

No worries I didn’t upload one either. From my understanding, resumes are for interviewers to look at during the interview, but since Touro NV is open file, then it’s ok. But what do I know..
What do any of us know, this is all one big bamboozle!

did you guys create a new account if you applied to other touro campuses ?