2019-2020 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yup! just note that the question asks about medically underserved populations, not medically underserved areas (which are different!)

Yeah, as saj96 pointed out, question stem asks if you live/were raised "in an area that is medically underserved"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email today (8/13) saying that they received my secondary. Submitted on 8/5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current 2nd year here. So nuts that people are already interviewing for the c/o 2024! Everything people say about medical school flying by is so true. I will try my best to answer any questions anyone has, though we're in the middle of cardio, so forgive me if I take a while to respond!

Current 2nd year here. So nuts that people are already interviewing for the c/o 2024! Everything people say about medical school flying by is so true. I will try my best to answer any questions anyone has, though we're in the middle of cardio, so forgive me if I take a while to respond!

One of the secondary prompts asks where/what we envision doing after med school/residency. I really want to work with underserved populations in Georgia, but my past experiences working with these populations have all been in an urban context because I went to college in a large city. I have no rural health experience so I can't honestly say that I envision myself working in rural GA ( I'm definitely open to it, I just don't have any experience to back it up). Would it be frowned upon if I write that I most see myself serving the medically underserved pops surrounding Atlanta?

One of the secondary prompts asks where/what we envision doing after med school/residency. I really want to work with underserved populations in Georgia, but my past experiences working with these populations have all been in an urban context because I went to college in a large city. I have no rural health experience so I can't honestly say that I envision myself working in rural GA ( I'm definitely open to it, I just don't have any experience to back it up). Would it be frowned upon if I write that I most see myself serving the medically underserved pops surrounding Atlanta?
I would personally avoid mentioning Atlanta specifically. I've heard from reputable sources that, while it's not as bad as it used to be, the adcoms in prior years expressed a definite bias against students from Atlanta. If the rest of your app looks great, I doubt wanting to work in/around Atlanta would make or break you, but I just see it as an easily avoidable potential negative mark against you. I myself have a huge passion for working with underserved populations but have never lived in nor intend to live in a rural area, so I just focused on my experiences with those populations, my understanding of the obstacles they faced in seeking care, and why I wanted to serve them once I was a physician. I focused more on demographic characteristics of the types of populations I would like to serve (racial minority, low SES, etc) as opposed to where they were physically located if that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
I would personally avoid mentioning Atlanta specifically. I've heard from reputable sources that, while it's not as bad as it used to be, the adcoms in prior years expressed a definite bias against students from Atlanta. If the rest of your app looks great, I doubt wanting to work in/around Atlanta would make or break you, but I just see it as an easily avoidable potential negative mark against you. I myself have a huge passion for working with underserved populations but have never lived in nor intend to live in a rural area, so I just focused on my experiences with those populations, my understanding of the obstacles they faced in seeking care, and why I wanted to serve them once I was a physician. I focused more on demographic characteristics of the types of populations I would like to serve (racial minority, low SES, etc) as opposed to where they were physically located if that makes sense.

That's a great way of putting it!

If you're reading this, I hope you have an amazing day and hope that you will get in this application cycle. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didnt they say that they will be sending a complete email within two business days of submission... I submitted mine on August 12 and I still have not received anything... any other people in the same boat?

JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW INVITE! I'm so excitedddd :)
ED applicant 8/20. This'll be my second crack at it lol

Hello
I submitted my secondary application on 7/14. I haven't gotten an interview invitation yet. Should I be worried??

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone answer these 2 questions I have?
1. Regarding required pre-requisites: If I have AP Credit for Chem 1 & Lab but took Biochem, Chem 2 with Lab, Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 with Lab at college am I good on the requirements? I thought I was originally but this required premed courses fill out sheet is making me doubt myself..
2. How and where do I get a notary seal?

Thank you!

1. Regarding required pre-requisites: If I have AP Credit for Chem 1 & Lab but took Biochem, Chem 2 with Lab, Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 with Lab at college am I good on the requirements? I thought I was originally but this required premed courses fill out sheet is making me doubt myself..

Thank you!

1. "If AP credit was received for one or more of the other courses listed above, one year of advanced courses with lab in the same discipline must be completed. All required courses must have the corresponding lab hours."

Doesn't sound to me like you meet requirement unless by one year they meant one semester. Presumably you would need another semester of super level chem plus lab (and the biochem would have to have had a lab too) to meet the requirement. That's just how I interpret it but just call their admissions office and ask, can't hurt.

2. I got mine notarized and my bank but not sure if most banks offer this or not (mine was a somewhat specialty bank). You could probably google notary in your area after calling your bank to ask if they do it. You just have to find a notary and meet with them and have them stamp your form. And you have to have your ID with you.

1. "If AP credit was received for one or more of the other courses listed above, one year of advanced courses with lab in the same discipline must be completed. All required courses must have the corresponding lab hours."

Doesn't sound to me like you meet requirement unless by one year they meant one semester. Presumably you would need another semester of super level chem plus lab (and the biochem would have to have had a lab too) to meet the requirement. That's just how I interpret it but just call their admissions office and ask, can't hurt.

2. I got mine notarized and my bank but not sure if most banks offer this or not (mine was a somewhat specialty bank). You could probably google notary in your area after calling your bank to ask if they do it. You just have to find a notary and meet with them and have them stamp your form. And you have to have your ID with you.

You're right T.T, I just called but thankfully they said I can take it next semester and it won't affect any possible interview or acceptances as long as it is completed before matriculation! Thanks for your help!

Thank you!
Also, every UPS store is required to have a notary on staff. I went there and it was very quick and inexpensive!

Thank you!
They will work with you. I don't have org 2 and only have biochemistry without a lab. I have another class on molecular techniques that they will take for my biochemical lab requirement. Just ask, and they will do what they can. Also with regard to your second question, my university did it for me.

Last edited:
Anyone still waiting on an interview invite for ED? I sent in my secondary close to the deadline, but Ms. Morgan told me interview invites are being extended, until this coming Tuesday at 5pm because of the weather delay this week!

Does anyone know when they start to send out RD invites?

Last year, the first RD II showed up on September 5th.

Anyone still waiting on an interview invite for ED? I sent in my secondary close to the deadline, but Ms. Morgan told me interview invites are being extended, until this coming Tuesday at 5pm because of the weather delay this week!
Anyone?

Have there been any major II session since that first wave way back when?

OMG. Just got II this afternoon. RD, submitted my secondaries just last week. :uhno:

I got an email today around 9 this morning inviting me to an interview!
Congratulations to you that's so wonderful!!! When did you have your app and secondaries submitted, just curious? I unfortunately got deferred from ED to RD..... :(:confused: Do any of you know people that were deferred that ultimately got an interview and acceptance here? Good luck and Godspeed to all of you in this process..... I hope we all get accepted!!! ..... :)

Last edited:
II this afternoon :)
Complete 8/18, stats in signature.

• Love
II this afternoon, congrats to everyone else!

Received II today and I low key cried. ^.^
Secondary submitted 8/14, CASPer submitted 8/20

Re-applicant from last year
MCAT: 501--> 505
S.GPA: 3.56
Exp: Lots of clinical, non-clinical, underserved, local & abroad
Not URM at all

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else unable to select II dates? None of my dates are highlighted on the calendar and I checked up until January 2020

^same cant click on anything

+2, I’m assuming the dates they had scheduled have just filled up. I might call the next time I’m off work during call hours to confirm

yeah thats waht im thinking as well, may be releasing dates in batches also?? (pure speculation btw, not evidence based)

I was able to chose a date. There were only 3 available in october. I would call when I get a chance but not worry too much about it! Gratz to all who got an II!