2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted today (7/7) and it says I need to send in a Dean's Certification... Does anyone else have to do that? I don't have any IAs
I submitted on 7/3 and didn't get anything like that. I would shoot them an email

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted on 7/3 and didn't get anything like that. I would shoot them an email

I did, and they sent an FAQ back:

We know that many applicants are spending the weekend working on their secondary applications, so in an effort to get as many of your questions answered as quickly as possible, we have generated this automatic reply to provide information regarding our most frequently asked questions.

Why haven’t I received my secondary application yet?

We have sent secondary application invitations to all eligible applicants with verified AMCAS applications as of 7/5/19. All invitations were sent to the “preferred” email address on file with AMCAS. Please remember to check your Spam and/or Promotions folders. If you haven’t yet received your secondary application invitation, your app is likely being reviewed for basic eligibility criteria.

The CASPer website says that my score was already delivered to MCW, but that requirement is still appearing as “Not Received” on the “Status” page of my secondary application portal. What’s going on?

We are aware of this issue. Some applicants’ CASPer test scores have indeed been delivered to MCW, but aren’t syncing with the submitted applications. Therefore, the requirement is appearing as “Not Received” on the secondary application portal. We’re working with our IT team on resolving this! There is no action needed on your part.

Is a Dean’s Certification Form required of me?

The Dean’s Certification Form is only required of applicants that have (1) answered “yes” to either the institutional action question on AMCAS or the MCW Secondary App, or (2) previously matriculated at a medical school, regardless of the reason for departure.After you submit your secondary app, the “Status” page will update to reflect if you are required to complete this form or not.

Do I have to take the CASPer test before my application will be reviewed?
Yes. The CASPer test is a required piece of the secondary application. Your score must be received before your application will be considered complete. Please be aware that there is a scoring lag, meaning it takes 2-3 weeks for the score to be received after you’ve taken the test.

FYI, for those whose undergrad institutions were on the quarter system, I called admissions this morning.

They said it's a glitch/oversight in the system, and that they'll amend it in the future. As of now, just match one class to each prereq and the Admissions office will manually match the rest on their end. They can see that we obviously fulfilled the prereqs and that we're on the quarter system, since they can see the classes on the scroll-down menu on the right side. Just wanted to let y'all know, since I delayed submission until making sure!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

We know that many applicants are spending the weekend working on their secondary applications, so in an effort to get as many of your questions answered as quickly as possible, we have generated this automatic reply to provide information regarding our most frequently asked questions.

We have sent secondary application invitations to all eligible applicants with verified AMCAS applications as of 7/5/19. All invitations were sent to the “preferred” email address on file with AMCAS. Please remember to check your Spam and/or Promotions folders. If you haven’t yet received your secondary application invitation, your app is likely being reviewed for basic eligibility criteria.

The CASPer website says that my score was already delivered to MCW, but that requirement is still appearing as “Not Received” on the “Status” page of my secondary application portal. What’s going on?

We are aware of this issue. Some applicants’ CASPer test scores have indeed been delivered to MCW, but aren’t syncing with the submitted applications. Therefore, the requirement is appearing as “Not Received” on the secondary application portal. We’re working with our IT team on resolving this! There is no action needed on your part.

The Dean’s Certification Form is only required of applicants that have (1) answered “yes” to either the institutional action question on AMCAS or the MCW Secondary App, or (2) previously matriculated at a medical school, regardless of the reason for departure.After you submit your secondary app, the “Status” page will update to reflect if you are required to complete this form or not.

Yes. The CASPer test is a required piece of the secondary application. Your score must be received before your application will be considered complete. Please be aware that there is a scoring lag, meaning it takes 2-3 weeks for the score to be received after you’ve taken the test.
FYI I called admissions today after reading this email and they said that they will be sending out secondaries this week for anyone with 90 or less credits, so fear not if you have yet to receive your secondary. There is still hope :)

FYI I called admissions today after reading this email and they said that they will be sending out secondaries this week for anyone with 90 or less credits, so fear not if you have yet to receive your secondary. There is still hope :)

I appreciate your detective work and then letting everyone know. It would have been thoughtful if MCW had included the 90 credit rule and other less generic information in its FAQs automated email response.

What email address did the secondary come from? I was verified in early June, I don't think I would fit into the <90 credits or borderline stats groups but I can't find it anywhere in my inbox/spam folders.

Has your dean's certification status changed yet?

Does the 90 credit rule apply to AP courses? I have 84 college credits + 15 AP credits so I thought I would be fine to apply but since I haven't gotten a secondary I guess that's a no...

I think my delay in receiving the secondary was that I am using some AP credit to satisfy prerequisites, so your explanation seems reasonable as well.

@RheumyArthritic Do you know if their is a difference for how they view applications if you just apply to the Milwaukee campus or Milwaukee and regional. For example, if I apply to both regional and Milwaukee but would prefer to go to Milwaukee, is there a chance they won't look as seriously at me for Milwaukee since I showed interest in the regional campuses? I may just be over-analyzing my options, but any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

@RheumyArthritic Do you know if their is a difference for how they view applications if you just apply to the Milwaukee campus or Milwaukee and regional. For example, if I apply to both regional and Milwaukee but would prefer to go to Milwaukee, is there a chance they won't look as seriously at me for Milwaukee since I showed interest in the regional campuses? I may just be over-analyzing my options, but any insight would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
I think you’re overanalyzing. Lol. I applied to regional campuses and Milwaukee (preferred Milwaukee since it’s my hometown). I had my first interview at Green Bay and my second one at Milwaukee. So clearly it doesn’t affect too much as long as you express your interests properly, especially when it comes to the regional campuses since they’re primary care/rural WI focused.

Members don't see this ad :)

Has anyone else received this message when trying to submit a payment?
It's not my credit card (I tried 2 different ones) and doesn't fix itself when I log out & log back in.

Did you by any chance ever figure out how to add more pre req classes?

Copying/pasting what I wrote above. Hope it helps!

FYI, for those whose undergrad institutions were on the quarter system, I called admissions this morning.

They said it's a glitch/oversight in the system, and that they'll amend it in the future. As of now, just match one class to each prereq and the Admissions office will manually match the rest on their end. They can see that we obviously fulfilled the prereqs and that we're on the quarter system, since they can see the classes on the scroll-down menu on the right side. Just wanted to let y'all know, since I delayed submission until making sure!

Just got off the phone with admissions and the lady I spoke with was super nice!! She basically let me know that if you went to a quarterly based school, just put in one class that meets the requirement and move on because there's no way to bypass that rn.

Also, for the payment submission page, they're working with their vendor to get it fixed ASAP. So, it was brought up to their attention that its a worldwide issue

Copying/pasting what I wrote above. Hope it helps!

LOL I should've probably refreshed the page before typing my message out!!

Secondary submitted today - waiting for complete email. Good luck everyone!

EDIT: Complete 7/17

Last edited:
Received: 7/5/19

Secondary Submitted/Completed: 7/19/19

Got my 2 weeks turnaround in. The end is near!!

Do OOS people typically leave the regional campuses blank? Will solely applying for Milwaukee reduce my chances?

Do OOS people typically leave the regional campuses blank? Will solely applying for Milwaukee reduce my chances?
They accept a small number of OOS applicants. The real question is whether you’re interested in the specific area of medicine that the regional campuses are tailored to, which is primary care.

If you’re not interested in a primary care specialty or in rural medicine, then applying to regional campuses (especially as an OOS applicant) is going to do you no good. It does not hurt your chances of getting an interview at Milwaukee if you do or don’t apply to regional campuses. They are separately considered. I believe it costs the same to apply to all campuses but it’s really going to be a waste of time writing secondaries for the regional campuses if you’re not their targeted audience.

Hey guys, I am now writing my secondary for MCW. They ask how MCW can uniquely prepare us to achieve career goals. Does it mean we can't talk about things like diversity, research opportunities, location etc (things we talk about in every "why us" essay)? How did everyone approach this question???

Hey guys, I am now writing my secondary for MCW. They ask how MCW can uniquely prepare us to achieve career goals. Does it mean we can't talk about things like diversity, research opportunities, location etc (things we talk about in every "why us" essay)? How did everyone approach this question???

To make it unique to them, I researched their curriculum and specific programs. I ended up talking about one of their scholarly pathway programs and how i'm super interested in it based on my background/passions and vision for my future practice.

Reactions: 1 users

I treated it like a "why us?" because the things that answer that question are exactly what uniquely prepares you for your career goals

Reactions: 3 users
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary submitted and complete 7/27/19

For this question, CW values the unique backgrounds and identities of our incoming students. Please indicate if any of the following apply to you. Check all that apply. (2000) characters.

How much should we be filling in? I was thinking just a sentence a two for each box and that's it. Or a whole essay?

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m leaning towards just a quick explanation. What have others done?

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m leaning towards just a quick explanation. What have others done?

They have 3 campuses with a different focus/curriculum. I talked about aspects I liked about their research campus, and how the resources in that area would be advantageous to what I want out of MCW. Also talked about more touristy stuff about Milwaukee, and how living there would also keep me close to family. MSTP applicant, but this advice can also apply to MD applicants.

They have 3 campuses with a different focus/curriculum. I talked about aspects I liked about their research campus, and how the resources in that area would be advantageous to what I want out of MCW. Also talked about more touristy stuff about Milwaukee, and how living there would also keep me close to family. MSTP applicant, but this advice can also apply to MD applicants.

Thanks! I think we might be talking about different questions. The one I’m talking about is asking you to check boxes to indicate the communities you belong to (URM, LGBTQ, disadvantaged, military etc). It then asks you to provide additional details with a 2000 character limit (which is the same as the combined diversity/why MCW essay). I’m thinking it seems like a lot of space if you only are clarifying something like your race or ethnicity, so we’re wondering if it’s a second diversity essay. @UnknownObi what did you decide?

Thanks! I think we might be talking about different questions. The one I’m talking about is asking you to check boxes to indicate the communities you belong to (URM, LGBTQ, disadvantaged, military etc). It then asks you to provide additional details with a 2000 character limit (which is the same as the combined diversity/why MCW essay). I’m thinking it seems like a lot of space if you only are clarifying something like your race or ethnicity, so we’re wondering if it’s a second diversity essay. @UnknownObi what did you decide?

I gave as much explanation as was needed. I am from a rural town so I described that in a few sentences. I wouldn’t overthink it.

I gave as much explanation as was needed. I am from a rural town so I described that in a few sentences. I wouldn’t overthink it.
I took a different tact and was near the limit, but my situation is a little more involved. I think as long as you get your message across it's fine, they wouldn't have set the word limit like they did if they didn't want to at least give you a chance to elaborate if you wanted to.

Should I interpret this to mean it wouldn't be worthwhile to submit a secondary here anymore?
Wayyyy wayyy too premature. It’s early August. Submit that secondary. I submitted in October, complete November (though I don’t recommend doing this) and was invited to interview. As a current M2 student who is helping with orientation going on right now, I can assure you there are many applicants who submitted after this time last cycle and are now incoming M1’s. Go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Found a typo in my submitted secondary. Very sad. Said “can” instead of “am”. Probably a neurotic question, but will I be alright?

Found a typo in my submitted secondary. Very sad. Said “can” instead of “am”. Probably a neurotic question, but will I be alright?
I would say not to stress about it - there's nothing you can do to change it. It's submitted and there's no edit button. Stressing out about it won't make it suddenly correct itself. Personally, I don't see why this one typo would make or break your application - especially since it's so small.

I think you'll be alright :) try not to stress out over it though. Good luck!

I would say not to stress about it - there's nothing you can do to change it. It's submitted and there's no edit button. Stressing out about it won't make it suddenly correct itself. Personally, I don't see why this one typo would make or break your application - especially since it's so small.

I think you'll be alright :) try not to stress out over it though. Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words. Means a lot.

I used the "update" section to upload a revised essay for one of my apps. I had called a school to ask, as one of the lines of my essay didn't copy over. They said not to worry and to use the "update" section to upload the revision. Mine was a whole line of context-setting stuff, so it definitely needed to get fixed. Yours is probably nothing to fret about :)

I used the "update" section to upload a revised essay for one of my apps. I had called a school to ask, as one of the lines of my essay didn't copy over. They said not to worry and to use the "update" section to upload the revision. Mine was a whole line of context-setting stuff, so it definitely needed to get fixed. Yours is probably nothing to fret about :)

Thank you :) I’ll call and ask. I’m just worried because in the failure essay, I talk about how I bettered my application for the second cycle (I’m a reapplicant). Don’t want them to think I did not mean what I said due to a small error. Ah, the woes of changing phrasing last minute