2019-2020 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They probably won't be pulling a lot from the waitlist because everyone is accepting their spot and no one is denying it for another school so there probably aren't that many open spots. There are 82 people in the facebook page and they still have to run interviews until like March or something. I think the class size is like 150 students.
i've already forfeited my seat. i'm sure a lot of people are forfeiting their seat without posting about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email today asking me to apply to the post bac... does that mean I got rejected? They also didn’t even have my name. It said Dear Alexander in the email (my name is not Alexander/not even close to alexander).

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email today asking me to apply to the post bac... does that mean I got rejected? They also didn’t even have my name. It said Dear Alexander in the email (my name is not Alexander/not even close to alexander).
That sounds strange. If I were you, I would call to make sure they have the correct contact information for you.

Anyone taken off of the alternate list yet? Hoping for some good news today :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything from the alternate list yet? Still nothing for me.

They sent an email just now. My status did not change (unfortunately, thought I had a good interview) but according to the email they will revisit in March and then May 4th. They are receptive to LOI if it's a top 2 choice.

Reactions: 2 users
They sent an email just now. My status did not change (unfortunately, thought I had a good interview) but according to the email they will revisit in March and then May 4th. They are receptive to LOI if it's a top 2 choice.
+1

+1

Members don't see this ad :)

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received an II yesterday! So excited! Any major academic cons to this school?

Can anyone who received an II recently tell how many interview dates are still available? I belive they are interviewing until mid April

Hi everyone, is it too late to submit my secondary app? Upon completing all of my secondaries in November and being waitlisted at the two schools I interviewed at, im now considering submitting my secondary here after receiving an email from the school informing me to submit my secondary.

Am I throwing $100 down the drain or is there still a realistic chance?

Hi everyone, is it too late to submit my secondary app? Upon completing all of my secondaries in November and being waitlisted at the two schools I interviewed at, im now considering submitting my secondary here after receiving an email from the school informing me to submit my secondary.

Am I throwing $100 down the drain or is there still a realistic chance?
Same, I was on and off about sending my secondary and just got an email two days ago that they reviewed my application. They do have interview days left until April 17. Not sure if I should send it or not...

II today!! LM 67-68, thought I was complete in September but actually got a complete email in November lmao, still considering/ re-review email update early January. I think March had 1 date and April had 1-2.

II today!! LM 67-68, thought I was complete in September but actually got a complete email in November lmao, still considering/ re-review email update early January. I think March had 1 date and April had 1-2.
Congrats! How many spots were left?

II here today. Considering turning it down for my offer at KCU. Thoughts? MUCOM vs KCUMB?

II here today. Considering turning it down for my offer at KCU. Thoughts? MUCOM vs KCUMB?
i interviewed at both and got accepted to both and turned down MUCOM for KCUMB. i loved both schools and indiana is actually closer to me than KC. both schools are beautiful in a non-so-safe-ish area. but beautiful schools, considering Marian's building is pretty new and KCU has a new simulation center that'll be finished this summer. however i chose KCU over marian because of the curriculum. I love KCU's 2+2 system where they teach everything twice cause that's how i learn, through repitition. kcu also has a more established reputation as marian is a lot newer. they had their inaugural class in 2013. it's all about preference but i didn't mind traveling further if it meant going to a better school in my eyes.

does anyone know the cost of living for living in Indianapolis? Looking for apartments ...

when is the official start day for the school ? Im trying to find this information on the website but havent seen it

i interviewed at both and got accepted to both and turned down MUCOM for KCUMB. i loved both schools and indiana is actually closer to me than KC. both schools are beautiful in a non-so-safe-ish area. but beautiful schools, considering Marian's building is pretty new and KCU has a new simulation center that'll be finished this summer. however i chose KCU over marian because of the curriculum. I love KCU's 2+2 system where they teach everything twice cause that's how i learn, through repitition. kcu also has a more established reputation as marian is a lot newer. they had their inaugural class in 2013. it's all about preference but i didn't mind traveling further if it meant going to a better school in my eyes.
This is also completely personal.. it depends on what you want.. Indianapolis has a large population than Kansas City so you might see more/experience more there. Also (from my 3 second research) when you look up best osteopathic medical school Marian is like #8 while Kansas is not listed. From personal experience I know that people in Indianapolis say that the students at Marian are just as qualified if not more qualified than the MD students in Indianapolis. It honestly just depends. I would look at match rates/places.. I've heard Kansas is a great school too and I'm sure it has its perks but I actually didn't even apply there so couldn't tell you how it really compares!

This is also completely personal.. it depends on what you want.. Indianapolis has a large population than Kansas City so you might see more/experience more there. Also (from my 3 second research) when you look up best osteopathic medical school Marian is like #8 while Kansas is not listed. From personal experience I know that people in Indianapolis say that the students at Marian are just as qualified if not more qualified than the MD students in Indianapolis. It honestly just depends. I would look at match rates/places.. I've heard Kansas is a great school too and I'm sure it has its perks but I actually didn't even apply there so couldn't tell you how it really compares!
I wouldn't judge a school based on what you can find online. even from what i hear from other candidates, most people consider the most established and best DO schools are KCU, michigan state, midwestern (Chicago / AZ), and PCOM Philly. not saying marian is a bad school, marian is great. however in terms of establishment, KCU has a longer history. again, it depends on what the OP wants. population size may not matter to someone as it does to you. i'm from the inner city of chicago having a couple million people but when i attend med school i dont care what city / town im in as long as im not in a town of 100 people.

OP, consider every factor that's important to you: school establishment, opportunities, history, learning styles, city population, proximity to home, scholarships, cost/tuition, research opps, etc. make a pros and cons list if you have to.

I wouldn't judge a school based on what you can find online. even from what i hear from other candidates, most people consider the most established and best DO schools are KCU, michigan state, midwestern (Chicago / AZ), and PCOM Philly. not saying marian is a bad school, marian is great. however in terms of establishment, KCU has a longer history. again, it depends on what the OP wants. population size may not matter to someone as it does to you. i'm from the inner city of chicago having a couple million people but when i attend med school i dont care what city / town im in as long as im not in a town of 100 people.

OP, consider every factor that's important to you: school establishment, opportunities, history, learning styles, city population, proximity to home, scholarships, cost/tuition, research opps, etc. make a pros and cons list if you have to.
Dude relax I was just bringing to light other possible reasons to go to one school that they might want to consider. Also why are you still on another schools thread if you don't even want to go here? No need to freak out and start naming why one school is better than the other, I simply brought up different factors to consider and even said the KCU is a good school I just don't know much about it.

If you have the funds available then you might as well check it out. All things considered, KCU is the better program but that definitely doesn't mean you can't get what you want if you go to Marian. KCU has a better pre-clinical curriculum. It's more intense but pays off for their students. It's also more established so more people recognize the name and has more resources for their students. Tuition-wise, I think they are about the same, at least they were when I was trying to decide. However, KCU had more scholarships available. Marian has pretty decent clinical sites, but there are some not so great sites/preceptors as well. Although every school has a few less desirable rotation sites. Living in Indy is nice. COL is pretty good and there is a ton of stuff to do.

Dude relax I was just bringing to light other possible reasons to go to one school that they might want to consider. Also why are you still on another schools thread if you don't even want to go here? No need to freak out and start naming why one school is better than the other, I simply brought up different factors to consider and even said the KCU is a good school I just don't know much about it.
Lol, I am relaxed. I don't enjoy when people pull info off the internet to back their point. I responded to OP's question because he/she/they asked for an opinion from someone who can provide perspective on both schools. given that i applied to both, interviewed at both, and got accepted to both, i wanted to give my opinion on both schools. it's not to push OP to go to one over another. as i already stated, i really loved marian. loved the vibe and told OP to consider all factors. i don't think im banned from a forum just cause i decided to turn down one school.

Are there any current students on this forum? Would love to talk one on one, I have some questions :)

Decided to withdraw my II from here. Best of luck y'all. :)

Withdrawing my application, good luck to everyone!

Interview Invite received today! What are the chances of acceptance of interviewed March/April, does anyone know?

• Hmm
Rejected post II. I think an update email might have been helpful but it's okay. Already had other acceptances

Interview Invite received today! What are the chances of acceptance of interviewed March/April, does anyone know?
When I interviewed on 2/14 they told us that they had plenty of seats and that they "could accept everyone interviewing today and still have seats left over." Hopefully that makes you feel better!

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed on 2/14 they told us that they had plenty of seats and that they "could accept everyone interviewing today and still have seats left over." Hopefully that makes you feel better!
How many people interviewed with you on your day? :)

Oh gosh... It was a bigger group than I was used to... Maybe 30?
Oh, wow! That's pretty big! It is nice to hear, though, that they can still accept 30+ I am interviewing here this week, so I won't be surprised by the big group, now - thank you!

Are we allowed to drop off our luggage/coat in the morning/afternoon to pick up later in the day after the interview is done? Trying to figure this out for flight/lodging scheduling purposes. Thanks in advance!

Are we allowed to drop off our luggage/coat in the morning/afternoon to pick up later in the day after the interview is done? Trying to figure this out for flight/lodging scheduling purposes. Thanks in advance!
Yes you can. There’s a coat and luggage area where people keep their stuff for the day

Anybody that is from out of state, how are y’all going about arranging housing? Will y’all be making a visiting trip before matriculating to check out houses/apartments to make a decision? What’s seems to be the most practical way to go about this?

Hi folks! Interviewing soon and wondering if I need to prepare for MMI-type questions. The "assessment" is so vague, and I would hope to be prepared if ethical scenarios are discussed. Thank you in advance :)

No MMI type questions, assessment doesnt factor into their decision so dont worry about it