2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New alternate list email this morning. Portal is now closed and “We do expect the movement in the alternate pool to be very minimal going forward”.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Well, I think it's time to put the 2020 cycle behind me and give it my all in the 2021. Thanks to everyone here for being an awesome forum!

Reactions: 8 users
welp now I can't refresh the portal daily!!! I'm still hanging on though I love this damn school

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
current rising GW MS2 here! just dropping by to offer a small glimmer of hope - i was accepted last year on july 2nd (and i can't even tell you how many times i refreshed the SDN page prior to that day lol). i believe there were one or two people that got in after me, as stressful as that is. i sent a letter of intent right when the application portal closed to let them know i was still interested even though it was late in the cycle. not sure how well that correlated with my acceptance, but i'd say it doesn't hurt to try, especially if a few accepted students decide to attend another program at the last minute and leave their spot open for someone else.

it ain't over till it's over! good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 6 users
current rising GW MS2 here! just dropping by to offer a small glimmer of hope - i was accepted last year on july 2nd (and i can't even tell you how many times i refreshed the SDN page prior to that day lol). i believe there were one or two people that got in after me, as stressful as that is. i sent a letter of intent right when the application portal closed to let them know i was still interested even though it was late in the cycle. not sure how well that correlated with my acceptance, but i'd say it doesn't hurt to try, especially if a few accepted students decide to attend another program at the last minute and leave their spot open for someone else.

thanks for sharing :) during your app year, did they also send out an email when they expected that waitlist movement would be "minimal?" trying to get a sense of what their definition of minimal is

thanks for sharing :) during your app year, did they also send out an email when they expected that waitlist movement would be "minimal?" trying to get a sense of what their definition of minimal is

in the email about the portal closing last year, they said "though alternate movement has slowed, there may be additional movement from the alternate pool." (there was no mention of "minimal movement")

they also encouraged us to keep sending in our updates, but also to move forward with applying for the next cycle if we planned on doing that haha.

Reactions: 1 users

thank you for the encouragement! i was wondering how many letters of intent did you send to GW?

thank you for the encouragement! i was wondering how many letters of intent did you send to GW?

i believe i sent 3 total. GW definitely does notice folks who express continued interest even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes :/

Withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 13 users
hello, are there any current GW students that could possibly help me learn more about GW's missions and what they're looking for in their applicants? Any tips for the GW EDP program would also be great! :)

hello, are there any current GW students that could possibly help me learn more about GW's missions and what they're looking for in their applicants? Any tips for the GW EDP program would also be great! :)

Are you referring to the Early Selection program?

Just got off the waitlist today! First acceptance and got into my first choice out of 3 waitlists!!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the waitlist today! First acceptance and got into my first choice out of 3 waitlists!!

Did you send in any any recent updates, LORs, or continued interest statements?

Did you send in any any recent updates, LORs, or continued interest statements?
Yes I sent numerous updates and also emailed updates after the portal closed a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone know if/when there will be a white coat?

Yes I sent numerous updates and also emailed updates after the portal closed a couple of weeks ago.

It’s postponed until the spring time! They said we will still receive the coat during orientation though

Reactions: 1 user

Their current plan is to wait to do the official ceremony until the spring, but the orientation leaders have said that we'll be getting the coat when we start. We still don't have a lot of info about how classes will be this semester, their original plan was hybrid but they just sent out a survey over the weekend to assess how comfortable we are with hybrid vs 100% online because of the massive spikes we're seeing in other parts of the country. Don't forget to join the facebook page and group me!

It’s postponed until the spring time! They said we will still receive the coat during orientation though

Their current plan is to wait to do the official ceremony until the spring, but the orientation leaders have said that we'll be getting the coat when we start. We still don't have a lot of info about how classes will be this semester, their original plan was hybrid but they just sent out a survey over the weekend to assess how comfortable we are with hybrid vs 100% online because of the massive spikes we're seeing in other parts of the country. Don't forget to join the facebook page and group me!

Awesome, thanks guys! Can someone send me the facebook page/info for the group me? Need to find housing in three weeks haha. Considering a 10-15 min commute since I will have a car.

Awesome, thanks guys! Can someone send me the facebook page/info for the group me? Need to find housing in three weeks haha. Considering a 10-15 min commute since I will have a car.
I highly recommend not driving in DC. Parking is scarce and expensive. Metro system is very good.

I highly recommend not driving in DC. Parking is scarce and expensive. Metro system is very good.

Even better, I hear the traffic gets pretty bad. The metro system goes out to Arlington as well? Thinking of looking for a place out there.

Even better, I hear the traffic gets pretty bad. The metro system goes out to Arlington as well? Thinking of looking for a place out there.
Arlington is hype check out courthouse or Clarendon.

The metro system is great! Right now things are only running every 20min, but even with that it is really convenient. Both of the lines at the GWU stop go into arlington and rossyln.

Has anyone emailed recently to see if the cycle is still open? Haven’t gotten an email that it’s concluded and they said they would send that

I think MSAR said they wont be done until the first day of classes, so I would imagine it's technically fair game until then

For the summary of activities/academics question, should we talk about future activities that got postponed/cancelled due to coronavirus?

For the summary of activities/academics question, should we talk about future activities that got postponed/cancelled due to coronavirus?
Honestly you'll want Write about previous activities more so than ones that never happened. But yea you could ....briefly mention what you were signed up for. They want to hear about what you've done though.

Since they haven't emailed saying their alternate pool is closed, would it be helpful or counterproductive to update them with a gap year job that I have been accepted for if I don't get accepted?

Still have not been made aware of my status on the alternate list: I emailed the med admissions email yesterday to ask about movement: still waiting.

Still have not been made aware of my status on the alternate list: I emailed the med admissions email yesterday to ask about movement: still waiting.
Did anyone from admissions email you back yet?

Curious as what they have to say.

My guess is that the waitlist is still viable in case someone does not show up for orientation or the first day of classes/ withdrawals their acceptance last minute. But that's just a guess.

I guess it's over for us waitlisters.
I knew it was over, but it still hurts.
This was just emailed:

In June, we wrote to inform you that although your application was still under consideration to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, movement in the alternate pool would be limited for the August 2020 first year class.

The first year orientation is about to begin. At this time, the Committee on Admissions has closed the alternate pool for the first year class. Accordingly, it is necessary to inform you that we have withdrawn your file from further consideration.

We cannot thank you enough for your patience throughout this application year and we are truly sorry that we aren’t able to accommodate you in our class this year. If you are matriculating elsewhere, we certainly wish you an exciting and fulfilling experience in medical school. If you are considering reapplying, we are unfortunately unable to provide individual counseling or advice but will be mindful of your status as an alternate for the 2021 admissions cycle.

Your sincere and continued interest in our program was very much appreciated. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Diane P. McQuail, M.A.

Associate Dean of Admissions

I guess it's over for us waitlisters.
I knew it was over, but it still hurts.
This was just emailed:

In June, we wrote to inform you that although your application was still under consideration to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, movement in the alternate pool would be limited for the August 2020 first year class.

The first year orientation is about to begin. At this time, the Committee on Admissions has closed the alternate pool for the first year class. Accordingly, it is necessary to inform you that we have withdrawn your file from further consideration.

We cannot thank you enough for your patience throughout this application year and we are truly sorry that we aren’t able to accommodate you in our class this year. If you are matriculating elsewhere, we certainly wish you an exciting and fulfilling experience in medical school. If you are considering reapplying, we are unfortunately unable to provide individual counseling or advice but will be mindful of your status as an alternate for the 2021 admissions cycle.

Your sincere and continued interest in our program was very much appreciated. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Diane P. McQuail, M.A.

Associate Dean of Admissions
Literally read the email while sitting for orientation at another program, and while 99% of me moved on a while ago, there was 1% that didn't. Good luck to everyone if you're applying again or if you're going somewhere else! If you made it this far then someone thought you could make it.