2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would sell a kidney to know just a little bit more about how GW decides in what order to pull people off the alternate list
I would sell both of mine to find out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats future doctor! Could I ask what your stats were?
3.59 GPA and 519 MCAT. I honestly think reaching out helped (like specifically asking about being proactive in the waiting process and not just how things were moving along)! I think GW really cares about keeping stats low so they want to make sure people are interested and will attend the program if accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
3.59 GPA and 519 MCAT. I honestly think reaching out helped (like specifically asking about being proactive in the waiting process and not just how things were moving along)! I think GW really cares about keeping stats low so they want to make sure people are interested and will attend the program if accepted.
congrats! also the 3 acceptances. do you plan to enroll at GW?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also asked about acceptances in their response to me- are you guys actually telling them where you hold As? Or how did you respond haha

I was also asked about acceptances in their response to me- are you guys actually telling them where you hold As? Or how did you respond haha

Yeah, I told them, but not sure how GW takes this information into account when I've already sent a letter of intent.

I emailed them last night and received the standard response today without any follow up about acceptances/financial aid (though I don't currently hold any acceptances). Sort of assuming this isn't a good sign in terms of their interest in me :(

• Sad
Withdrew from the WL! If I was supposed ot get in, I hope it goes to someone who really wants to!

What are the odds that there’s a wave of movement in the next 3 days

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know the approximate number of people currently still in the alternate pool?

I was asked a similar question about other acceptances. I told them about a DO school acceptance and a few other waitlist positions. In return, I received an email saying thank you for additional information. Its been radio silence ever since. Hopefully, talking about DO acceptance did not backfire. I am just over-analyzing each of my moves now.

I was asked a similar question about other acceptances. I told them about a DO school acceptance and a few other waitlist positions. In return, I received an email saying thank you for additional information. Its been radio silence ever since. Hopefully, talking about DO acceptance did not backfire. I am just over-analyzing each of my moves now.

I’m in the same exact boat, DO acceptance and all. I’m worrying about it back firing as well but who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if this is a repeat Q but when is GW's CTE deadline??

Hey everyone! As of this morning, the alternate pool is still open and active. Got a short response back to an email I sent to medadmit.

Reactions: 8 users
Do we think that this means the class is not full yet?

technically, I would think that class has already been full before they moved onto pulling from WL. they already gave out all the acceptances they can give and would only pull from the WL once someone that's already accepted withdraws. so it's more like a fluid state of 'full class' like an equilibrium. someone withdraw, pull one from WL, repeat as necessary. I understand SDN is a skewed representation of applicants but compared to last year, a LOT less ppl have been pulled from the WL. meaning less ppl are withdrawing their acceptance. adcom only pulls from the WL once the accepted withdraws.
if there were significant spots left to fill, adcom would be much more active in pulling from the WL, which they're not. straight acceptance are the people adcom first preferred. ppl on the WL are literally the "alternatives" once they're first favorite declines their offer. for ppl on the WL, it's not about how much they like us, it's more about how many of their favorite refuse their lovin

technically, I would think that class has already been full before they moved onto pulling from WL. they already gave out all the acceptances they can give and would only pull from the WL once someone that's already accepted withdraws. so it's more like a fluid state of 'full class' like an equilibrium. someone withdraw, pull one from WL, repeat as necessary. I understand SDN is a skewed representation of applicants but compared to last year, a LOT less ppl have been pulled from the WL. meaning less ppl are withdrawing their acceptance. adcom only pulls from the WL once the accepted withdraws.
if there were significant spots left to fill, adcom would be much more active in pulling from the WL, which they're not. straight acceptance are the people adcom first preferred. ppl on the WL are literally the "alternatives" once they're first favorite declines their offer. for ppl on the WL, it's not about how much they like us, it's more about how many of their favorite refuse their lovin

Sigh, sounds true. This is stressful to think about.

Well, with that distressing but likely true realization, does anyone who Is holding an A elsewhere feel like its still worth it to remain on the WL this late into the cycle? I keep on stressing about moving in to wherever I end up at and the longer I wait the more difficult it will be to find reasonable rent. (It goes without saying that to those who are banking on GW as their only A, you're in my prayers. Godspeed lads.)

Well, with that distressing but likely true realization, does anyone who Is holding an A elsewhere feel like its still worth it to remain on the WL this late into the cycle? I keep on stressing about moving in to wherever I end up at and the longer I wait the more difficult it will be to find reasonable rent. (It goes without saying that to those who are banking on GW as their only A, you're in my prayers. Godspeed lads.)
I'm going to stay on another week and then I'm going to withdraw from the WL once I apply for an apartment and sign the lease.

I was planning to wait until mid June and then withdraw. I need to move on with my life...

To all those banking on this as our only A, and to everyone else for that matter, all I gotta say is that I am so proud of each and every single one of us for getting right where we are now. It might not be where we imagined it, but the fact that we have made it this far, dealing with the uncertainty, anxiety, and constantly having to awkwardly respond to "soo what are your plans for next year?" atop of all other things going on clearly shows our resilience and determination to not give up and become kicka$$ physicians, regardless of where or when, and ultimately change this world for the better. Someone once told me "progress only happens on the other side of your comfort zone". So take a deep breath, meditate for a few mins, and remember how blessed we are just to have the option to pursue our dreams. And a special shout-out to @Sam Losco, AKA the Caveman, TPB is a great show. Much love and good vibes to all!

Reactions: 10 users
I'm going to stay on another week and then I'm going to withdraw from the WL once I apply for an apartment and sign the lease.

Yeah Im thinking of waiting until Monday or possible another week and saying goodbye. I dont think I'll be given a good financial package at GW anyways.

Over the weekend, I saw the GW Fb group number go from 171 back to 167....then yesterday went up to 168 and now its 169

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Question:

currently accepted here and waitlisted at another school. If I’m accepted off the waitlist, I would choose that school over GW. I received an email from the school I’m currently waitlisted at and they said the class is currently full and only 3-5% of people off the waitlist will be accepted at this point. June 19th is the other schools CTE deadline in which the class is stabilized. so my question is this: I’ve found a good housing situation in DC, but if I wait till June 19th it’ll be gone. Do I just wait till after June 19th to start looking for housing? I feellike that will give me barely anytime and I don’t want to be stuck in a bad roommate situation

Question:

currently accepted here and waitlisted at another school. If I’m accepted off the waitlist, I would choose that school over GW. I received an email from the school I’m currently waitlisted at and they said the class is currently full and only 3-5% of people off the waitlist will be accepted at this point. June 19th is the other schools CTE deadline in which the class is stabilized. so my question is this: I’ve found a good housing situation in DC, but if I wait till June 19th it’ll be gone. Do I just wait till after June 19th to start looking for housing? I feellike that will give me barely anytime and I don’t want to be stuck in a bad roommate situation
I would personally wait, or negotiate paying a fraction of the deposit in DC and put down the rest on June 20th

realistically do we think there will be any more movement?

I mean I think someone got off the WL last year in July....Praying for all of us!

Oh awesome so I’ll keep posting neurotic threads here until July!!! At least I’ll be occupied

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Question:

Hey! Current MS2 and just wanted to let you know that housing in DC is pretty fluid and spots tend to open up pretty frequently in various apartment complexes, so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find a good place to live. Many people don't sign leases until ~1 month before moving in, so you should be fine looking for a place in late June if you don't want to commit until then. The only limitation would really be finding a roommate you click with, but I imagine other people may be in a similar boat.

Question:

Hey! Current MS2 and just wanted to let you know that housing in DC is pretty fluid and spots tend to open up pretty frequently in various apartment complexes, so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find a good place to live. Many people don't sign leases until ~1 month before moving in, so you should be fine looking for a place in late June if you don't want to commit until then. The only limitation would really be finding a roommate you click with, but I imagine other people may be in a similar boat.
To add on, the accepted students website and the 2024 md class facebook page is regularly updated with housing opportunities. GWU also has a off campus housing database/forum/thing that has current listings. DC also has a a law that says tenants don't need to give notice until 30 days before their intended move out date for month to month leases, so many July leases likely only recently started opening up.

the maintenance email about the portal they just sent out just about murdered my soul :cryi:

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
As much as GWU is my top pick, I have signed a lease/committed to enroll at another school and am withdrawing from the WL. To those of you still waiting, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 9 users
Got accepted today! So shocked and thrilled. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! As someone who until this morning had no acceptances, trust me, I know how stressful it is! Things can change very quickly.

Reactions: 11 users
Got accepted today! So shocked and thrilled. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! As someone who until this morning had no acceptances, trust me, I know how stressful it is! Things can change very quickly.
Congrats! If you don't mind us asking, have you sent any updates/anything recently?

I sent four letters of intent, had three new letters sent on my behalf (all in May), and emailed asking about timelines/the waitlist a week or so ago.

I sent four letters of intent, had three new letters sent on my behalf (all in May), and emailed asking about timelines/the waitlist a week or so ago.
Congrats!!! When did you interview? Mind sharing stats?

Did you ever get an email asking if you would commit there if you got off the waitlist?

I interviewed early December. 3.76 GPA/508 MCAT. I got an email from Dean McQuail asking if I was interested in a seat and if I truly wanted to attend GW. Responded and 5 minutes later I was accepted!

Reactions: 12 users