2020-2021 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: George Washington University

Members don't see this ad.

I am pre-writing the Clinical Public Health essay and wondering what others have focused on primarily? Two of my Most Meaningful activities are in the areas highlighted on their website as Clinical Public Health topics, and I also touch on one in my PS. There is possible intersection of the two topics, and since I'm genuinely passionate about them I could easily imagine myself doing a relevant type of public health/health systems scholarly project. The wording of the essay is very nonspecific, asking about both experiences (extensive and described elsewhere in app) and interests (not yet explored in depth in app).

Since there's also a "Why GW?" essay, should I just provide a descriptive summary of my past experiences for the Clinical Public Health essay? Or would that essay be a unique opportunity to provide a sentence about my two major relevant experiences, and spend a sentence or two suggesting a topic of interest I could pursue/learn about at GW? That would then free up space to talk about additional interests in the "Why GW?" essay.

Reactions: 1 user
hello, are there any current GW students that could possibly help me learn more about GW's missions and what they're looking for in their applicants? Any tips for the GW EDP program would also be great! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hello, are there any current GW students that could possibly help me learn more about GW's missions and what they're looking for in their applicants? Any tips for the GW EDP program would also be great! :)
I second this!! Can anyone provide some insight about the types of applicants they seek?

Was accepted here last year (ended up choosing my state school though). PM me if you have any questions!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thoughts on how to approach the "most significant clinical experience...involving direct patient contact" question?

The "direct patient contact" part is tripping me up. I haven't been a CNA or EMT. Would you say shadowing is direct patient contact? I work in a hospital screening temperatures/COVID exposure for everyone who enters. Technically, I'm classified as clinical staff, and that is honestly my most significant/important to me experience. Does that apply/would it be looked down upon? I've also done wilderness first aid as a camp counselor (a surprisingly high standard of care/level of independence).

Thoughts on how to approach the "most significant clinical experience...involving direct patient contact" question?

The "direct patient contact" part is tripping me up. I haven't been a CNA or EMT. Would you say shadowing is direct patient contact? I work in a hospital screening temperatures/COVID exposure for everyone who enters. Technically, I'm classified as clinical staff, and that is honestly my most significant/important to me experience. Does that apply/would it be looked down upon? I've also done wilderness first aid as a camp counselor (a surprisingly high standard of care/level of independence).
I think that both screening patients and getting to do first aid on people can count as direct patient contact. Maybe not shadowing though.

I think that both screening patients and getting to do first aid on people can count as direct patient contact. Maybe not shadowing though.
You can have direct patient contact while shadowing. I don't think they literally mean physical contact, more so direct involvement with the patient in a clinical setting.

Reactions: 2 users
Was accepted here last year (ended up choosing my state school though). PM me if you have any questions!!
Hey, congratulations on your acceptances last year! :) Would you have the time to read my responses to the secondary prompts?

I wrote about a volunteer position I had. My "direct contact" involved talking with the patients, not physical contact. I think both of your examples would fit the prompt.

Me too! Can I hop on the train for assistance on looking over my secondary essays for GW? As other posters said, I can't message you through PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be honest with me: I have a 4.0 GPA with a 506 on the MCAT. Definitely was not expecting this score (practice range was 512-516 oof), but COVID time kinda effed me up. Do you guys think I still have a shot if I have already submitted a complete app to this school and have excellent EC's to back up my interest in GW?
Considering that GW is a low yield school with 15k total applicants and a 508 10th percentile mcat it would be very difficult unless your EC's are like 11/10. I feel you though on the MCAT, mine was much lower than expected as well feels bad :( ... some of my friends are retaking their mcat next month though

Edit: they also have 2 different BS/MD programs which means they accept even less from that applicant pool.

Be honest with me: I have a 4.0 GPA with a 506 on the MCAT. Definitely was not expecting this score (practice range was 512-516 oof), but COVID time kinda effed me up. Do you guys think I still have a shot if I have already submitted a complete app to this school and have excellent EC's to back up my interest in GW?
Unfortunately, with the 506 below their 10th percentile for accepted and matriculated students, the odds aren't good, but your GPA is stellar. If your EC's uniquely align with their mission, shoot your shot. By that I don't mean having one or two EC's related to public health or health policy topics. I mean having an application that is very clearly oriented toward those those missions, maybe even to the point that it was influential in your decision to pursue medicine or your demonstrated goals as a physician. If that passion doesn't shine through, I'd save the money. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your MCAT, and hope you end up at a school you love, whether that's GW or somewhere else!

Reactions: 1 users
As a current GW grad student, the fact that they're currently bleeding cash because of COVID makes me think the upcoming medical class will be larger than normal this cycle. But that's just speculation since they announced that they will be having staff layoffs upcoming.

• Wow
I see they have a minimum of 3 letters, and the MSAR says a max of 5. But the school website says: "Once we have received all letters listed on AMCAS, your file will be considered complete. If you submit additional letters after your file is complete, they will be included in the review of your file ONLY if your file has not been reviewed or upon the re-review of your file. We do not have a limit on the number of letters of recommendation we will accept." Kinda confused because this is under their "Can I include additional letters after my file is completed?" tab in FAQ.

Anyone have a clear answer on this? How many are you all submitting?

As a current GW grad student, the fact that they're currently bleeding cash because of COVID makes me think the upcoming medical class will be larger than normal this cycle. But that's just speculation since they announced that they will be having staff layoffs upcoming.

Just want to clarify that GW is doing everything right and I've been SUPER proud of their response to COVID. But yeah, money isn't flowing like it used to.

1. Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2021. (750 characters)

2. The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program? (350 characters)

3. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

4. What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)

5. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

EDIT: Character lengths don't include spaces

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
+1 unverified! Submitted Friday hahaha YIKES.

What have people been putting if their most meaningful clinical experience was already said in their personal statement or activities section?

Reactions: 1 users
What have people been putting if their most meaningful clinical experience was already said in their personal statement or activities section?
I used the same one. I just used a different anecdote plus it's super short anyways

Marked complete as soon as I submitted, per portal.

Anyone on FAP get the fee waiver for the secondary? So far in the cart it still says $130 before confirmation.

Edit: Jk I can't read, issue resolved lmao

Last edited:
For the 2nd prompt would it be an appropriate answer to talk about their Culinary Medicine Elective? As I have an experience that can back up my interest in that.

For the 2nd prompt would it be an appropriate answer to talk about their Culinary Medicine Elective? As I have an experience that can back up my interest in that.
im talking about that + the community/urban health scholarly concentration! i think it's fine so long as you can back it up!

Just to make sure, spaces don't count for your character count correct?

For the most meaningful clinical experience, should this be an activity as a whole or a particular interaction with a patient?

For the "What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW?" --- are we supposed to answer both the first two questions? so its a diversity AND a challenge in one? not a lot of space for that!

For the "What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW?" --- are we supposed to answer both the first two questions? so its a diversity AND a challenge in one? not a lot of space for that!

I wrote an answer that related the first two. I talked about having a bicultural identity (diversity), navigating it (challenge), and lessons learned from it that I've extended to other parts of my life and related that to how I will contribute to the GW student body.

For the 1st prompt (the 750 characters one), could someone explain what the question is asking? Is this a gap-year question?

Anyone having issues with character count not matching up when entering in your essays? I think they may not be counting punctuation. Afraid to add content but it tells me I have room now.

Anyone having issues with character count not matching up when entering in your essays? I think they may not be counting punctuation. Afraid to add content but it tells me I have room now.
They don't include spaces in character count

Given the added "Clinical Public Health" curriculum in 2014, and their essay on "Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health)" is this school looking for applicants with a demonstrated interest/activities in health policy/advocacy? How broad do you think this is?

For the clinical experience are people going towards a specific story or just their most important clinical activity in general?

Given the added "Clinical Public Health" curriculum in 2014, and their essay on "Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health)" is this school looking for applicants with a demonstrated interest/activities in health policy/advocacy? How broad do you think this is?

Hey! I personally think clinical public health is pretty broad, but that GW definitely is looking for demonstrated interest. I've worked in public health research for the past 1-2 years and am drawn to GW for this reason, but I'm no admissions expert. I don't think you have to be specifically involved in policy/advocacy, but to have general exposure and to be able to demonstrate passion and knowledge about some facet of public health is probably going to help you. Hope this helps!