2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What kinds of things are people saying for the most meaningful clinical experience to date? I am not sure what they are looking for. Does it have to be something you specifically did for a patient, or can it be something you witnessed?

Members don't see this ad.

TFW your entire "Why this school?" answer was about the integration of public health into the curriculum, and now they made that a whole separate question RIP

imo you should still use your original answer for “why this school”! For me, 350 c. was way too short to talk about what you’re saying. What I did was give a couple “experiences relating to this curriculum” and connected them to “specific interests” e.g. public health topics from their curriculum that I’m interested in studying - even for that, I was super tight.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same. So does that mean anything? Like we made it through an initial cut?
From previous cycles, it seems like most people get put on hold. Some get interviews, some dont. We may be too early for IIs regardless. Some do get instant IIs though. I dont think its a cut persay.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps a stupid question lol. But... public health is pretty much the same as global health right? especially in our age of globalization? Both emphasize preventative care and public education, but one just transcends boundaries?

edit: how the f do you write anything of value in 350 char lol

Last edited:
From previous cycles, it seems like most people get put on hold. Some get interviews, some dont. We may be too early for IIs regardless. Some do get instant IIs though. I dont think its a cut persay.
Also just saw that I got this hold. I find it hard to believe that an actual person has looked at so many people’s applications already, so maybe it just means our apps have gone through some sort of automatic pre-screening process?

Reactions: 2 users
Also just saw that I got this hold. I find it hard to believe that an actual person has looked at so many people’s applications already, so maybe it just means our apps have gone through some sort of automatic pre-screening process?
Interesting theory

they probably screen for minimum mcat/gpas

imo you should still use your original answer for “why this school”! For me, 350 c. was way too short to talk about what you’re saying. What I did was give a couple “experiences relating to this curriculum” and connected them to “specific interests” e.g. public health topics from their curriculum that I’m interested in studying - even for that, I was super tight.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing! I put a short blurb in the 350 character essay (which was super short) and then later in the "Why this school" essay, expanded on that and added some other details.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplicant here who got an II last year. Last time, my app never got a "hold." It went straight from the initial message, to being "under review," to an II.

• Wow
Maybe they're putting people on "hold" right now to give time to review the early decision applicants' applications?

FWIW Last cycle I got my secondary the same day I got it and my portal didnt change until a couple days before my II. All it said was "under review" on 7/13 then got an II on 7/16.

• Wow
are you guys talking about the information under the "application status"? mine doesn't say anything specific like "under review" or "on hold" it just says my app is complete and they have received everything for my app to be reviewed. If this means anything, I was complete 7/3

Reactions: 2 users
Is it worth applying here given the huge number of applications they receive each year? My uGPA is on the lower end so I am not sure if I should send my app here. Anyone in same situation?

@GloballyMed
uGPA: 3.2 with strong upward trend last 3 years, SMP: 3.8, MCAT: 521, nontrad ORM

based on that i think its worth applying no doubt as long as you have some ecs of course

For the question asking what your activities are during your gap year... is it saying full-time for ALL activities? Like if you don't do something for 30-40 hours per week, don't put it? Because I have a lot of part time activities, but nothing that is "full-time"

For the question asking what your activities are during your gap year... is it saying full-time for ALL activities? Like if you don't do something for 30-40 hours per week, don't put it? Because I have a lot of part time activities, but nothing that is "full-time"
What activities do you have that make up a full-time schedule.

Submitted 7/8! I'm a little concerned because even though the portal said it received my application, it displayed an error message when trying to load the PDF

Was marked as hold for re-review. Kind of bummed to be honest. I’m really excited about GW
I feel/felt the same but trying to stay positive. My googling on this topic came up with the following tid-bit from r/premed that's at least somewhat encouraging:
"Someone I went to undergrad with is an admissions counselor at GW. I emailed him last year about the hold status. This is what he said:
'Almost all applicants get placed on hold for some period of time. The people who get invites right away is very limited and usually is reserved for people that the committee knows they will want to interview regardless of what the rest of the applicant pool looks like.'"

just FYI to all the people who had the "fail to load PDF" message...I had to the same issue initially, but just checked and the pdf was able to load

Reactions: 3 users
just FYI to all the people who had the "fail to load PDF" message...I had to the same issue initially, but just checked and the pdf was able to load
Same seems to load fine today

Was marked as hold for re-review. Kind of bummed to be honest. I’m really excited about GW

Just checked and I'm the same. |:

Look at the bright side.... we aren't rejected.. yet lol

Incoming student here! (So can't answer too many questions yet, lol). Being placed on hold is really common. I had that message for a few months before I got an II, absolutely is not a soft R.

Reactions: 8 users
so if I submitted last week and I still have the "your file is now complete" message, is that a good sign or am I just grasping at straws?

so if I submitted last week and I still have the "your file is now complete" message, is that a good sign or am I just grasping at straws?

Same here...hoping it’s good. Or maybe our apps are at the bottom of the pile and they haven’t even touched them yet lol

Amcas verified next week (sub june20)
Secondary submitted 7/9

On a side note, I copy pasted an entry from gdocs and read thru it on the portal at least 8x. By submission there was a random dash after a word that wasnt in the copypaste text.... count me out of this one ladies and gents one extra potential II slot /s

Amcas verified next week (sub june20)
Secondary submitted 7/9

On a side note, I copy pasted an entry from gdocs and read thru it on the portal at least 8x. By submission there was a random dash after a word that wasnt in the copypaste text.... count me out of this one ladies and gents one extra potential II slot /s

I hope you’re being sarcastic... it’ll be fine!

Just checked and my status got updated to under review!

Same here...hoping it’s good. Or maybe our apps are at the bottom of the pile and they haven’t even touched them yet lol
That's probably it honestly. They get so many applications it will probably take a while before they can get to everyone. On the brightside, if they haven't seen your application yet that also means they haven't rejected you.

Put on hold for re-review!

+1

Going off last year's thread it seems they started re-reviewing "on hold" applicants beginning late September, so for those of us who've been put on hold I guess we can expect to not hear anything back for a few months at least. GW also seems to do most of their rejects en masse after they've finished interviewing in the spring.

Last edited:
Complete 7/1. I've had "Your file is under review" for about 5 days now.

Complete 7/1. I've had "Your file is under review" for about 5 days now.
Thats not what you had when you initially submitted, right? Right before I got my II lst cycle, I think it had a 1 sentence message saying it was under review instead of the paragraph that is normally there.

Thats not what you had when you initially submitted, right? Right before I got my II lst cycle, I think it had a 1 sentence message saying it was under review instead of the paragraph that is normally there.

I think it said my file was complete when I submitted. Then I checked in when others started saying their status changed to on hold for re review. I looked and mine said under review which is what it’s said for a few days now

Just realized for the "let us know what you'll be doing up until matriculation" question I mentioned the classes I'll be taking in the fall semester but totally neglected talking about my winter classes (although it will show up in AMCAS)

How bad do you guys think this is, if bad at all

Just realized for the "let us know what you'll be doing up until matriculation" question I mentioned the classes I'll be taking in the fall semester but totally neglected talking about my winter classes (although it will show up in AMCAS)

How bad do you guys think this is, if bad at all
I don't think it'll matter too much, from what I've gathered that question is more to help evaluate gap year applicants to see if they're doing anything that will add to their skills as a med student.

When do y'all think the first waves of interviews will start rolling in?

When do y'all think the first waves of interviews will start rolling in?

I've been checking the sdn threads from the past few years, and if I had to hazard a guess I would say the first ones could start trickling in next week? Just a guess though.

I've been checking the sdn threads from the past few years, and if I had to hazard a guess I would say the first ones could start trickling in next week? Just a guess though.
I hope you're right!

Complete this morning (I assume right after they acknowledged my MCAT date waiver) and immediately placed on hold for re-review. Definitely feels like an automatic thing.

What are some of y’all putting for your specific interests in GW?