[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was really surprised to see that out of the PD's who responded, 22.6% said an applicant could move up on the rank list, and out of that group, 66.7% (14/21) said the applicant could expect to move up 6 or more positions on the rank list.

It's a minority of the PD's that responded, but still. I feel like 14 programs behaving that way makes it worthwhile to just send thank-yous as a routine practice.

I totally agree that as applicants we shouldn't let post-IV communication influence how we rank, but I definitely think it's tough to separate that emotion that comes with a program making you feel wanted. I honestly wish it was an all or nothing type of practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree that as applicants we shouldn't let post-IV communication influence how we rank, but I definitely think it's tough to separate that emotion that comes with a program making you feel wanted. I honestly wish it was an all or nothing type of practice.

Agreed. I think neither should change their list really based on this stuff, but I acknowledge that both do at least to some extent. So both parties feel like they have to do it. We purposely avoided post-IV communication last year and I suspect it caused several candidates how told us in emails they were matching us #1 to move us out of that spot. It is what it is. As much as students feel like they have to send thank you's, programs feel the same pressure. Because both sides know it works even though it shouldn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-IV communication likely does work based on this data (and personal experience), its just a minor effect that probably doesn't have a huge effect on match chances regardless when it comes to programs changing match position. I suspect it has a more dramatic effect on working on students. While the study showed it works on students/programs at a rate of 20% or so, the effect is magnified on students. A student moving a program up 2 spots on their list of 10 programs (20% rise) is a far more dramatic move than a program moving a student up 5 spots in a list of 100 (5% rise).

Rank all programs how you want them. You should rank your list strictly based on where you want to be as a student. Programs should rank their list solely based on the people they want to train.

That's a great point, I didn't take into account the relativity in regards to how many we rank vs how many the programs rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really surprised to see that out of the PD's who responded, 22.6% said an applicant could move up on the rank list, and out of that group, 66.7% (14/21) said the applicant could expect to move up 6 or more positions on the rank list.

It's a minority of the PD's that responded, but still. I feel like 14 programs behaving that way makes it worthwhile to just send thank-yous as a routine practice.

This is the problem I am having. While I know I should be ranking programs on where I want to go, it's extremely hard not ranking a program higher that told me they genuinely wanted me over a program where I feel I was one of 100 people that interviewed and just happened to match there because that program went down to a certain point on their list.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the problem I am having. While I know I should be ranking programs on where I want to go, it's extremely hard not ranking a program higher that told me they genuinely wanted me over a program where I feel I was one of 100 people that interviewed and just happened to match there because that program went down to a certain point on their list.

That's the point in ranking based on where you want to go though isn't it? It shouldn't matter that a program had to go down a certain point on their list to match you. If A is where you want to be more than B (who ranks you maybe a couple spots higher) you should still rank A higher. If they didn't want you they wouldn't have ranked you at all. It's not like they're going to treat you any different as a resident just because you weren't #1 on their list.

Post-IV communication likely does work based on this data (and personal experience), its just a minor effect that probably doesn't have a huge effect on match chances regardless when it comes to programs changing match position. I suspect it has a more dramatic effect on working on students. While the study showed it works on students/programs at a rate of 20% or so, the effect is magnified on students. A student moving a program up 2 spots on their list of 10 programs (20% rise) is a far more dramatic move than a program moving a student up 5 spots in a list of 100 (5% rise).

Rank all programs how you want them. You should rank your list strictly based on where you want to be as a student. Programs should rank their list solely based on the people they want to train.

Is it still a safe assumption that thank you notes or lack thereof shouldn't affect my chances of matching at a program I favor? Several pages back I posed a question about writing thank you notes and that seemed to be the sentiment you provided. This new study has me a little nervous.

We’re all in the middle of a highly shrouded process that could end with us not having careers. It's full of uncertainity. I think he's pointing out that it's natural to be wanted so a program making it clear they want you makes you, semi-consciously, like them more.

That's the point in ranking based on where you want to go though isn't it? It shouldn't matter that a program had to go down a certain point on their list to match you. If A is where you want to be more than B (who ranks you maybe a couple spots higher) you should still rank A higher. If they didn't want you they wouldn't have ranked you at all. It's not like they're going to treat you any different as a resident just because you weren't #1 on their list.

We’re all in the middle of a highly shrouded process that could end with us not having careers. It's full of uncertainity. I think he's pointing out that it's natural to be wanted so a program making it clear they want you makes you, semi-consciously, like them more.

I understand. It's just we've been told so many times to not take those communications too seriously because a lot of times they don't mean much to programs, or they send it to a bunch of applicants not just you or me. I think we'll make the process a lot easier for ourselves if we try to block the fuzzy feels such communication brings, just keep our rank list about what we want.

Last edited:
Is it still a safe assumption that thank you notes or lack thereof shouldn't affect my chances of matching at a program I favor? Several pages back I posed a question about writing thank you notes and that seemed to be the sentiment you provided. This new study has me a little nervous.

I personally dont believe people need to write thank you notes based on my experience, which is that Im one of the majority of people who doesnt change my thoughts based on a thank you card. However this is the first data Ive seem on this, I didnt realize there was an effect on 20% of people, which is still a minority but its still significant. I still think the effect is negligible on the end (going up 5 spots is hardly a big deal). But I also think that if someone is truly in love with their #1, it doesn't hurt to shoot an email in January once your interviews are over.

Overall I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if I was a student who never sent a thank you email all season.

Reactions: 6 users

Correct. Realize that’s why both sides are doing it. To influence the other side into subjectively ranking them higher by playing on their fear of not matching or their psychological need of being wanted. Its all mind games. The shrewdist way to play the game from either side, from a manipulation standpoint is to send post-iv communication in order to boost your spot, while at the same time never changing your own list based on this stuff you hear from the other side. Manipulate their psyche while sticking to your list how you want it regardless. That’s the shrewdist way to play the game from a self interested standpoint.

Honestly, I don't think most places or students are that nefarious when they participate in this though. I think most are doing so now out of fear that if they don't, they will be at a disadvantage by not doing so since 20% on both sides change their list based on this stuff. Staying silent, on either side, can get perceived as a disadvantage, forcing people who don't want to participate in the mind games to do so strictly out of fear they have to.

How should the “ranking you #1” email be addressed? Just to the PD, do I need to CC the coordinator?
What should the subject line say

How should the “ranking you #1” email be addressed? Just to the PD, do I need to CC the coordinator?
What should the subject line say

I would CC the coordinator as well. They're integral to residency programs functioning. In my opinion address the PD, but thank them both.

And keep it simple. "Letter of Intent".

I personally dont believe people need to write thank you notes based on my experience, which is that Im one of the majority of people who doesnt change my thoughts based on a thank you card. However this is the first data Ive seem on this, I didnt realize there was an effect on 20% of people, which is still a minority but its still significant. I still think the effect is negligible on the end (going up 5 spots is hardly a big deal). But I also think that if someone is truly in love with their #1, it doesn't hurt to shoot an email in January once your interviews are over.

Overall I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if I was a student who never sent a thank you email all season.
good to hear

I ask a couple PCs during early IVs and they said not to worry about it, I just made sure to be polite and genuinly thank them during the IV day.

I will probably roll my Letter of intent into a thank you as well for my number 1 in january/febuary.

What do you think about also writing LOIs to your #2 and #3 saying youd be happy there yada yada yada but obviously leaving out the numero uno designation?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered

Members don't see this ad :)
good to hear

I ask a couple PCs during early IVs and they said not to worry about it, I just made sure to be polite and genuinly thank them during the IV day.

I will probably roll my Letter of intent into a thank you as well for my number 1 in january/febuary.

What do you think about also writing LOIs to your #2 and #3 saying youd be happy there yada yada yada but obviously leaving out the numero uno designation?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered
Don’t do that. It’s nothing but a “I’m not ranking you number one.” Email. If you want to send a “your my #1 boo” email to one program go ahead but any other letter of interest is a clear statement they aren’t your first choice and, in my opinion gains you nothing with some potential to do harm.

Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly what I was getting at. I know all day long I should rank based on where I want to go, but no one can deny the emotional component of it when a program tells you they want you. And just to clarify, I'm not talking about post IV communication. I'm talking about in person feedback given during the actual interview. I feel like there is a difference between the two but maybe gamer can shed some light on that.

This is exactly what I was getting at. I know all day long I should rank based on where I want to go, but no one can deny the emotional component of it when a program tells you they want you. And just to clarify, I'm not talking about post IV communication. I'm talking about in person feedback given during the actual interview. I feel like there is a difference between the two but maybe gamer can shed some light on that.

I think its the same thing, though in person praise is probably a more powerful impact. People want to feel wanted. Programs want to feel wanted. Its human nature. So when a program genuinely likes a candidate and wants to train them, and says so in the interview or afterwards, naturally that is going to have an effect on the candidates desire to potentially train there. Same goes with the candidate praising the program. How much of an effect it has depends really. If a candidate hated their rotation at a program, the program can praise them all they want, I doubt thats going to jolt the program to #1. If a program writes a low 1/3 sloe on someone, and that person emails to say “im ranking you #1” I doubt the program is moving them up the list.

So I think the psychological impact of this stuff probably only matters when there is mutual interest in the first place.

Reactions: 3 users
About when should the “You’re my number 1” email be sent?

About when should the “You’re my number 1” email be sent?

Once ranking starts? I was going to send around Jan 20th-Jan 25th since most people I think are done interviewing by then and have started to formulate a ROL

Is sending a "I'm ranking you number 1" email considered a match violation?

Nope. In fact, programs can also reach out to you, certainly a few have to me and classmates, and tell you everything from "We'd love to have you" to "We're ranking you to match" and as I understand it, that's kosher too.

Nope. In fact, programs can also reach out to you, certainly a few have to me and classmates, and tell you everything from "We'd love to have you" to "We're ranking you to match" and as I understand it, that's kosher too.

It's only a match violation to ask where you're ranked or the program asking you where they're at on your list.

My last interview is the second to last week of January. In good form I was going to wait to send my number one their number one email until then. If I know now should I just go ahead and aim to send it on 1/15?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

My last interview is the second to last week of January. In good form I was going to wait to send my number one their number one email until then. If I know now should I just go ahead and aim to send it on 1/15?

I mean if you know now you could send it now. I've already had a few of those "I'm ranking you highly" emails. I think most students finish interviewing in late Dec / early Jan and start sending them. At least the ones that choose to email.

I’m old fashioned and like to send cards and letters over emails. Is that ok or should I stick with an email to make sure that it isn’t somehow lost.

Sorry for the string of questions and thank you for everyone who responded.

I mean if you know now you could send it now. I've already had a few of those "I'm ranking you highly" emails. I think most students finish interviewing in late Dec / early Jan and start sending them. At least the ones that choose to email.
i thought someone said if its not "your my number 1" then save it

feel like i remember them saying if you send an ambiguous "im ranking you highly" email you run the risk of pissing people off for not saying number 1

So.. no trickle has hit me since mid October. I'm at 7 interviews total. Does anyone have more information on the SOAP, or things I can do right now? I go to a D.O school and it seems like no one has any experience on the SOAP (due to the merger i'm guessing and only knowing about the AOA scramble) I don't know if I can get any more letters as I have lost contact with most of my previous attendings/preceptors. Any help would be really appreciated.

I’m old fashioned and like to send cards and letters over emails. Is that ok or should I stick with an email to make sure that it isn’t somehow lost.

Sorry for the string of questions and thank you for everyone who responded.

Cards are fine and a nice touch, but emails are easier for a program to respond to if they so choose.

i thought someone said if its not "your my number 1" then save it

feel like i remember them saying if you send an ambiguous "im ranking you highly" email you run the risk of pissing people off for not saying number 1

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on them. I mean, its nice to know you at least were thought highly of and I appreciate the kind words, however, I also see how it can be kind of awkward to be flat out told that you aren't a top choice when you know someone is matching at their top choice. Programs know how good of a candidate you are, so if you are one of their top choices, they know you are almost certainly matching at your #1 almost because if you have a great app that's what happens. So when I get an email saying we are "one of the top choices" from a candidate I know is great, then its basically being told they won't be matching here. Which is obviously a little disappointing if you thought that person was a great fit, which obviously isn't the intent of the email.

To be honest, this stuff doesn't bother me, literally at all. I just don't care what people email me and say. But I do think there are probably people out there that get a little over sensitive about rejection. I mean, I can't prove that and like to think that most program leaders are mature enough to understand that you can't match everyone and we should be advocates for students matching where they feel is best for them. However you only have to look no further than what happened I think 2 years ago here on SDN when a PD openly called out a student on these forums for not ranking them #1 to realize some don't handle this well.

I also don't think programs should change the rank list much based on these emails anyways, because people lie and its not logical. You should rank candidates in the order of how you want them regardless of if someone emails you to say you are #1, or you are "highly ranked" or if they don't email at all. Rank them based on their merit and fit. Students should do the same.

Just to expound on this further...

It may seem to the student that telling a program they are "high on the list" is a complement, but 50% of students match at their top choice. 75% at one of their top 3. So knowing that half the students are going to match at their top choice, you realize that if someone is probably in your top 1/3 of your list, they are probably only matching with you if you are their #1 (or #2 maybe).

A top 1/3 student is almost never matching with your program if you aren't their #1. Which is in stark contrast to programs, and how far they go down on their list. Programs go well beyond their mid part of their list. The average program goes 6.8 spots/rank to complete their list. So if you interview 100 people for 10 spots, you go to on average to #68. Which means, you are matching well past your top 1/3, and deep into your mid 1/3, every year unless you just had an outstanding year.

So if a program emailed a student and told them "you are #30" on our list, I'd imagine many people would take that as a sign of rejection. Yet, statistically, that actually is a pretty darn good complement and means the program has you ranked to match at a higher rate than the program being ranked to match at #3 on your list. I mean, even if a program told you that you were in the middle part of their list, that STILL is more likely to mean you will match there than if you had a program ranked #3. Yet no program is going to email you to say "Congrats we have you ranked in our middle 1/3".

So it's all about perspective, but you can see why some people suggest not sending out these "highly ranked" emails, and why some PDs would take that as a rejection letter basically.

Reactions: 7 users

It may seem to the student that telling a program they are "high on the list" is a complement, but 50% of students match at their top choice. 75% at one of their top 3. So knowing that half the students are going to match at their top choice, you realize that if someone is probably in your top 1/3 of your list, they are probably only matching with you if you are their #1 (or #2 maybe).

A top 1/3 student is almost never matching with your program if you aren't their #1. Which is in stark contrast to programs, and how far they go down on their list. Programs go well beyond their mid part of their list. The average program goes 6.8 spots/rank to complete their list. So if you interview 100 people for 10 spots, you go to on average to #68. Which means, you are matching well past your top 1/3, and deep into your mid 1/3, every year unless you just had an outstanding year.

So if a program emailed a student and told them "you are #30" on our list, I'd imagine many people would take that as a sign of rejection. Yet, statistically, that actually is a pretty darn good complement and means the program has you ranked to match at a higher rate than the program being ranked to match at #3 on your list. I mean, even if a program told you that you were in the middle part of their list, that STILL is more likely to mean you will match there than if you had a program ranked #3. Yet no program is going to email you to say "Congrats we have you ranked in our middle 1/3".

So it's all about perspective, but you can see why some people suggest not sending out these "highly ranked" emails, and why some PDs would take that as a rejection letter basically.

That's all awesome information to have and I appreciate you sharing your perspective throughout this process.

On a side note, do you happen to have a link to thread of the PD calling out the student because that sounds like a damn entertaining read?

This is so helpful! I don't think any of us really think of this stuff from the program's perspective. It makes much more sense when you do!

I'm in the same boat as you, as far as planning for SOAP I listened to this EM Match Advice: What if I don't match? What is the SOAP?
pod cast and did self reflection (wouldn't be as happy in another speciality long term) and talked it over with my school . Plan would be prelim med/ty year (or surgery if it comes to it :( ) at a place with an EM residency.

So.. no trickle has hit me since mid October. I'm at 7 interviews total. Does anyone have more information on the SOAP, or things I can do right now? I go to a D.O school and it seems like no one has any experience on the SOAP (due to the merger i'm guessing and only knowing about the AOA scramble) I don't know if I can get any more letters as I have lost contact with most of my previous attendings/preceptors. Any help would be really appreciated.

That's all awesome information to have and I appreciate you sharing your perspective throughout this process.

On a side note, do you happen to have a link to thread of the PD calling out the student because that sounds like a damn entertaining read?

Idk. Honestly I cant remember, but I think it was 2 years ago. Maybe three. I think it was the rank order list thread, but maybe not. I have to think one of the mods may remember bc it caused a ****storm. Im not even sure if the posts would still exist, the author may have deleted them because of the blowback he got from posters. It was pretty ugly.

Idk. Honestly I cant remember, but I think it was 2 years ago. Maybe three. I think it was the rank order list thread, but maybe not. I have to think one of the mods may remember bc it caused a ****storm. Im not even sure if the posts would still exist, the author may have deleted them because of the blowback he got from posters. It was pretty ugly.
The posts were deleted, either by the author or mods because I think the author put some significant personal details in the post. I think it was the year I matched (2017) because I remember I was only gone from the thread for two hours when all this went down and I never personally saw the posts just the reactions.

The posts were deleted, either by the author or mods because I think the author put some significant personal details in the post. I think it was the year I matched (2017) because I remember I was only gone from the thread for two hours when all this went down and I never personally saw the posts just the reactions.

I think you are right, I think it was the 2017-18 match year. To summarize for those unfamiliar, a PD basically came onto the forum and named a student by name who posted an anonymous rank list, because they were offended the student didn’t rank them #1. Not only did they call them out by their real name, they went on to post negative things about the person if I remember. Then they briefly tried to defend why they did it, before basically deleting their stuff and disappearing after everyone called them out for the shear craziness of what they did. I don’t remember what program it was tbh. The details are a little fuzzy at this point 3 years later, but I think that’s the gist of it. Anyone whose been around for awhile can correct me if I’m wrong on some of the finer details.

I think it was the 2017/2018 app year. I had started posting in early 2017 and my AMA thread started that spring when I look back. So I think that following winter‘s match season was the first year I was actually posting on the forums here during match season. When that all went down, I was legit certain I wasn’t going to be very welcome to continue posting because of the backlash against that PD and the fear that things discussed here could somehow be held against someone. Thankfully it all blew over.

I think you are right, I think it was the 2017-18 match year. To summarize for those unfamiliar, a PD basically came onto the forum and named a student by name who posted an anonymous rank list, because they were offended the student didn’t rank them #1. Not only did they call them out by their real name, they went on to post negative things about the person if I remember. Then they briefly tried to defend why they did it, before basically deleting their stuff and disappearing after everyone called them out for the shear craziness of what they did. I don’t remember what program it was tbh. The details are a little fuzzy at this point 3 years later, but I think that’s the gist of it. Anyone whose been around for awhile can correct me if I’m wrong on some of the finer details.

I think it was the 2017/2018 app year. I had started posting in early 2017 and my AMA thread started that spring when I look back. So I think that following winter‘s match season was the first year I was actually posting on the forums here during match season. When that all went down, I was legit certain I wasn’t going to be very welcome to continue posting because of the backlash against that PD and the fear that things discussed here could somehow be held against someone. Thankfully it all blew over.
2016/2017 year.

I know this because I had to deal with the 30 frantic PMs of people wanting their anonymous list taken off.

3/3/2017, to be exact. Someone PMed me demanding that I deleted the entire thread.

Lol.

And it was the Brookdale PD - not sure if they are still there. Never forget.

2016/2017 year.

I know this because I had to deal with the 30 frantic PMs of people wanting their anonymous list taken off.

3/3/2017, to be exact. Someone PMed me demanding that I deleted the entire thread.

Lol.

And it was the Brookdale PD - not sure if they are still there. Never forget.
why would the Brookdale PD get pissed? Isnt it common knowledge that that program is (not ass, but surely not competitive)?

Last edited:
Well, that’s not constructive feedback or helpful to anyone, really.

why would the Brookdale PD get pissed? Isnt it common knowledge that that program is (not ass, but surely not competitive)?

I just think they didn't handle rejection well. Mind you, this rank list was posted anonymously. So this PD took the time to figure out who the person was by their scores and comments I presume. It was nuts.

Should I send a letter of intent to my number one program telling them I want to rank them #1 ?

Should I send a letter of intent to my number one program telling them I want to rank them #1 ?

I think it's a reasonable thing to do. However, don't expect the program to reciprocate, even if they are ranking you highly. Some places just don't play their hand.

Had a guy last year email several times saying he was ranking us 1st. We thanked him, but didn't disclose where we were ranking him (which was a decent rank btw). Must have freaked him out, because he didn't match at our place and our list went lower than where we had him ranked. If we were truly his #1, then he shot himself in the foot by dropping us down his list because we didn't flat out tell him where we were ranking him. Either that, or he was just emailing multiple programs saying that, which also happens all the time.

Could it ever be bad to send a number 1 email to a program? The program was an away rotation I did and I received honors and top 10% on their SLOE so I think they already like me and may rank me high.

I am debating wether I should send the number 1 email to them because during my interview the PD said twice were I rank them will not impact where they will rank me. Would it hurt in anyway to send the email regardless?