[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s in the middle of no where, but New Haven does have great pizza.

I interviewed at a TH program where the residents earned $10k less than any other program I interviewed at, whereas the attendings (based on a very honest pgy3 who just signed on there) earned higher than National EM average. They kept selling the low cost of living for the area, but the discrepancy of those two salaries made me feel like residents were viewed as cheap labor (more so than we already are).
Vassar starts at 67, pgy 3 is 76

Members don't see this ad.

19 doesn't seem too many. 27 in 3 years seems like a lot, I'm not sure how you fit in all the other rotations if you are doing 9 months/year in the ED. I think low to mid 20's is pretty common.

oh, I was think 19 sounded too few to be as proficient. There are 39 blocks total in a 3 year residency (4wk blocks not month), so with 27 that is 12 off service... but with 19 that is 20 off service!! Am I thinking of this incorrectly?

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s in the middle of no where, but New Haven does have great pizza.

Mwahahaha. Excellent guess, Sherlock, it's on the list too, but it's not Yale I'm referring to. I'd be supremely happy to live in New Haven. Nope, that small town is a legit small town...

Reactions: 1 user
So now that the spreadsheet is a ghost town and everyone has been scared away, I wonder if any useful information will be posted anymore?

hey does anyone know what programs are still interviewing in February?

Hey guys, I lost a bunch of my notes due to a tech issue (like a dummy that didn't backup) and was hoping that people could share the shift schedules for the following programs. Thanks so much.
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Hofstra Staten Island
University of Arkansas
U Mississippi
Southern Illinois University
U Louisville
U Oklahoma at Tulsa
U Missouri Columbia
Thes pread sheet has "shifts per month" and "shift length" for many of hte programs. although It's likely taken from the webapp and not uptodate. the itnerview impressions tab has some but not necessarily reliable either (E.g. one person says University of Arkansas is 10s with 12s on weekends 19-->18-->17 by year and one person says 8s)

Thes pread sheet has "shifts per month" and "shift length" for many of hte programs. although It's likely taken from the webapp and not uptodate. the itnerview impressions tab has some but not necessarily reliable either (E.g. one person says University of Arkansas is 10s with 12s on weekends 19-->18-->17 by year and one person says 8s)

Thank you so much.

A thought I've been having is, I sort of get the LOI/letters sent to top 3 programs frenzy, in that, as an applicant, if, say, your #1 (or #2 or #3) is a program you interviewed at in early October, and by early February, you've finally come up with a final rank list, there's something nerve-racking about thinking you're ranking a program you're super excited about in your top 3, or even #1, but they haven't seen/heard from you in, like, nearly 4-5 months (this wouldn't apply to places you rotated at where they got to know you for a month, obviously, I wouldn't feel the need to "remind" them of me in that case lol).

It feels like sending a super short and respectful email encapsulating your excitement about the program to the PD (or APD or someone you interviewed with or someone you struck a connection with on interview day or since then who's connected to the program) with maybe like 1-2 specifics of why you're hoping to match there, is, I would think, a reasonable way to "remind" them about you, with the hope being that when they have either their weekly rank list meeting or a final rank list meeting of the season, with everyone - APD's and any residents involved in making the rank list, whether all the residents or a subset, I guess, depending on the institution - present, when they project your picture on a screen and people share their opinions, the PD (provided you're on the top or middle of their list and not DNR, obviously), it feels like, might throw in a quick: "Oh yeah, that kid emailed me, nice email, he seems super interested actually, what do y'all think?" And I would think may result in a bump up 5 spots or something. Or no move at all.

Idk, it just feels like, I'm not on that side of the decision-making, of course, but I have to think, if you interview 100 applicants, as one random number I picked out to make the math easy, surely there must be like 10-20 applicants that everybody was like: "Loved him/her", "Fits right in", "He's a hoot!" or whatever, like, everyone just agrees they'd be a good co-resident, good match however that is defined, great personality fit, etc., so that's the top 10-20% of the list, then maybe 5-10 that either everybody agrees they suck (not literally, but you know, simplifying things here) or one person in the group reviewing everyone has serious/major qualms about them, so that becomes the bottom of the list, and then, I would guess, the middle 60-70% of the list is probably a combination of "Who? Don't remember him/her. Oh yeah... Yeah, sure, he was fine" or "Oh yeah, that guy, he's cool, that'll work."

Obviously none of this excuses sending multiple #1 emails to several programs, that's a big no no, if ever found out would DNR you, and tbh, you just shouldn't do it cuz it ain't right, simple as that, but when thinking about it that way, it's worth considering sending a #1 email to your #1, and super personalized emails to your #2-#3, if only for one's peace of mind that you remind them about you (unless, of course, the program said on interview day NOT to communicate with them after the interview, and I actually like that approach a whole lot more, it just simplifies things so much). I haven't done either, just weighing the possibilities I guess (and I totally realize tho, if the program receives 50 of those out of 100 people they interviewed, well that's awash and then explains why those emails are useless).

But if emailing your #2-#3, I still would never use the "ranking you highly" wording, I feel it'd be a total turnoff to receive that on the other side. Sorry, rambling a bit here, but I'm a 4th year med student with lots of time on my hands to ruminate...

I guess the flip side of this is the interpret the personalized e-mails as- ok you liked us but we're not you're number 1, and then they get miffed over it. Who knows, these are all just theories. I know it's been discussed before but from what I gather it seems like a lot of places use a point system to determine your rank and then maybe that gets tweaked a little after based on comments but....

A thought I've been having is, I sort of get the LOI/letters sent to top 3 programs frenzy, in that, as an applicant, if, say, your #1 (or #2 or #3) is a program you interviewed at in early October, and by early February, you've finally come up with a final rank list, there's something nerve-racking about thinking you're ranking a program you're super excited about in your top 3, or even #1, but they haven't seen/heard from you in, like, nearly 4-5 months (this wouldn't apply to places you rotated at where they got to know you for a month, obviously, I wouldn't feel the need to "remind" them of me in that case lol).

It feels like sending a super short and respectful email encapsulating your excitement about the program to the PD (or APD or someone you interviewed with or someone you struck a connection with on interview day or since then who's connected to the program) with maybe like 1-2 specifics of why you're hoping to match there, is, I would think, a reasonable way to "remind" them about you, with the hope being that when they have either their weekly rank list meeting or a final rank list meeting of the season, with everyone - APD's and any residents involved in making the rank list, whether all the residents or a subset, I guess, depending on the institution - present, when they project your picture on a screen and people share their opinions, the PD (provided you're on the top or middle of their list and not DNR, obviously), it feels like, might throw in a quick: "Oh yeah, that kid emailed me, nice email, he seems super interested actually, what do y'all think?" And I would think may result in a bump up 5 spots or something. Or no move at all.

Idk, it just feels like, I'm not on that side of the decision-making, of course, but I have to think, if you interview 100 applicants, as one random number I picked out to make the math easy, surely there must be like 10-20 applicants that everybody was like: "Loved him/her", "Fits right in", "He's a hoot!" or whatever, like, everyone just agrees they'd be a good co-resident, good match however that is defined, great personality fit, etc., so that's the top 10-20% of the list, then maybe 5-10 that either everybody agrees they suck (not literally, but you know, simplifying things here) or one person in the group reviewing everyone has serious/major qualms about them, so that becomes the bottom of the list, and then, I would guess, the middle 60-70% of the list is probably a combination of "Who? Don't remember him/her. Oh yeah... Yeah, sure, he was fine" or "Oh yeah, that guy, he's cool, that'll work."

Obviously none of this excuses sending multiple #1 emails to several programs, that's a big no no, if ever found out would DNR you, and tbh, you just shouldn't do it cuz it ain't right, simple as that, but when thinking about it that way, it's worth considering sending a #1 email to your #1, and super personalized emails to your #2-#3, if only for one's peace of mind that you remind them about you (unless, of course, the program said on interview day NOT to communicate with them after the interview, and I actually like that approach a whole lot more, it just simplifies things so much). I haven't done either, just weighing the possibilities I guess (and I totally realize tho, if the program receives 50 of those out of 100 people they interviewed, well that's awash and then explains why those emails are useless).

But if emailing your #2-#3, I still would never use the "ranking you highly" wording, I feel it'd be a total turnoff to receive that on the other side. Sorry, rambling a bit here, but I'm a 4th year med student with lots of time on my hands to ruminate...

I think you have thought way too much about this. Mainly because that looked like something I would have typed out as someone who has thought way too much about this.

I think pretty much what you said is pretty true, though I disagree about the middle 60-70% being people you don't remember. I can look through my rank list and remember nearly all of the 90 some people I interviewed, but I keep extensive notes on people and look at the rank list every week. Maybe not by name unless they rotated (I'm terrible with names) but when I see a picture, I know them. Though, I probably am a little extreme on this, but this is basically the equivalent to being an NFL GM working up to the draft. It's my job to know every single person on the list and how they would fit.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess the flip side of this is the interpret the personalized e-mails as- ok you liked us but we're not you're number 1, and then they get miffed over it. Who knows, these are all just theories. I know it's been discussed before but from what I gather it seems like a lot of places use a point system to determine your rank and then maybe that gets tweaked a little after based on comments but....

I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this so take this for what its worth.

When I get a "ranking you #1" from someone I'm happy, though skeptical if they didn't rotate here. But happy.

When I get a "ranking you highly" I'm not mad, but a little disappointed if it was someone we really wanted and thought we'd get, because chances are, if we loved them, so will the place(s) they have ranked above us.

I try not to let either bias our rank either way, though I realize the data says that it may help you move up a few spots. In the grand scheme of things, moving up a few spots on a programs list isn't that meaningful. Moving up 5 spots for a places that ranked 100 is a 5% bump. You moving up a program 2 spots if you have 10 interviews is a 20% bump. So I think the psychological effect of moving up/down the list based on these emails effects the programs chances more (because each spot moved up is much more significant on the students list) than it does for the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
The match process is some weird combination of dating, a sports draft, and wizardry.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The match process is some weird combination of dating, a sports draft, and wizardry.

YES! It is so wonderful.

Our rank list meeting with the residents is tomorrow. I've gotten so many resident texts saying "how excited are you" and "this is your christmas eve" today. Haha. I truly love this whole process.

I just verified my ROL for the last time, sent the PD a quick hey you’re my #1, and treated myself to a cold beer and some take out. Honestly, it feels good to just be done. I love my top 3, would be more than happy at 4-6, and would feel that I’d get quality training from 7 on. It’s literally out of my control for the next 50 days and I’ve accepted it.

Reactions: 4 users
I just verified my ROL for the last time, sent the PD a quick hey you’re my #1, and treated myself to a cold beer and some take out. Honestly, it feels good to just be done. I love my top 3, would be more than happy at 4-6, and would feel that I’d get quality training from 7 on. It’s literally out of my control for the next 50 days and I’ve accepted it.
ya man, waiting for the mood to strike me to certify

Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this so take this for what its worth.

When I get a "ranking you #1" from someone I'm happy, though skeptical if they didn't rotate here. But happy.

When I get a "ranking you highly" I'm not mad, but a little disappointed if it was someone we really wanted and thought we'd get, because chances are, if we loved them, so will the place(s) they have ranked above us.

I try not to let either bias our rank either way, though I realize the data says that it may help you move up a few spots. In the grand scheme of things, moving up a few spots on a programs list isn't that meaningful. Moving up 5 spots for a places that ranked 100 is a 5% bump. You moving up a program 2 spots if you have 10 interviews is a 20% bump. So I think the psychological effect of moving up/down the list based on these emails effects the programs chances more (because each spot moved up is much more significant on the students list) than it does for the students.

Makes sense. With that said, if you get a "ranking you highly" email, have you ever bumped an applicant down, or do they just stay where they were on your list, and you just feel like "Well shucks, probs not gonna get them". And historically, do you feel that way because the applicants that did send you those emails ended up generally matching elsewhere?

I guess your assumption that "if we liked them a lot, then other places must have as well" surprises me, cuz I feel, every program (at least in my albeit super limited experience interviewing) I interviewed at felt like, for the most part, they had widely distinct personalities. Like my list is pretty much a top few that I LOVED and felt I would fit right in, middle few that I'm like "Sure, that works too, I can be happy here" and bottom few that I'm like "Honest to God hope I don't match here, those are noooot my people" (but would still rather match there, obv, than not match at all, and would just have to wear my big boy pants and make it work).

Also, I'm reassured to hear you remember all the people that interviewed, that's good to know. I guess I assumed not, cuz from my end, doing like 10 interviews x (5 interviews per interview day on average + like on average 15 residents I met between the interview day breakfast, lunch and pre-interview dinner) = 200, I certainly do NOT remember all of those people 4 months later... But I guess it's a different process to interview a group 1x-2x a week and then compare notes with other interviewers and you guys also read our interviews and personal statements and such...

With that said, if you get a "ranking you highly" email, have you ever bumped an applicant down

Never. I mean people move up and down for a lot of reasons, but I don't hold not ranking us #1 (or not messaging us at all) against someone.

And historically, do you feel that way because the applicants that did send you those emails ended up generally matching elsewhere?

Yep

I guess your assumption that "if we liked them a lot, then other places must have as well" surprises me, cuz I feel, every program (at least in my albeit super limited experience interviewing) I interviewed at felt like, for the most part, they had widely distinct personalities.

Well I guess it's more that when you see someone with say two top 10% SLOEs that aren't from your institution and a great app, you know they are at the top of other programs lists. It's different if the person has more middle 1/3 SLOEs but clicked well and you think you found a hidden gem. Those may slip to you. But its all speculation, and shouldn't change your list anyway from a program standpoint.

, I certainly do NOT remember all of those people 4 months later.

Well, remembering is a lot easier when you have an extensive scoring sheet on everyone and a running powerpoint with all of the pertinent things about each person that you update each week. Haha. I'd never remember otherwise everyone otherwise, that would be impossible.

Never. I mean people move up and down for a lot of reasons, but I don't hold not ranking us #1 (or not messaging us at all) against someone.

Yep

Well I guess it's more that when you see someone with say two top 10% SLOEs that aren't from your institution and a great app, you know they are at the top of other programs lists. It's different if the person has more middle 1/3 SLOEs but clicked well and you think you found a hidden gem. Those may slip to you. But its all speculation, and shouldn't change your list anyway from a program standpoint.

Well, remembering is a lot easier when you have an extensive scoring sheet on everyone and a running powerpoint with all of the pertinent things about each person that you update each week. Haha. I'd never remember otherwise everyone otherwise, that would be impossible.

I think my biggest question is how common is it for residency interviews/rank lists to be such a formal process. Clearly what you describe is very organized and formal with a point system, multiple meetings, and a calculated way of going about this process. But how common is that really among programs?

I think I may just be skeptical because of the med school process and having been on both sides of that as an interviewee and interviewer, I realize from this side that the process was much less formal and organized than I had thought.

And I must admit, I have gotten the impression from some programs I have interviewed at that their process really isn't any different than the med school process. So as nice as it is to hear how seriously your program takes your list and deliberating, I wonder how common that really is among all programs?

I think my biggest question is how common is it for residency interviews/rank lists to be such a formal process. Clearly what you describe is very organized and formal with a point system, multiple meetings, and a calculated way of going about this process. But how common is that really among programs?

My residency I went to was fairly similar. Used a similar scoring system, had a huge rank list meeting at the end, etc. On CORD's forums, its not uncommon to see threads asking if anyone has an app scoring system to share, etc. So I'd imagine there are plenty of places that are structured, but I don't know that for a fact, I can only speak for myself on this one.

Any point in sending letters to top 4 or 5 of list for couples matching just in case they haven't spoken to the other department or just let it ride? Also is it too late to send a LOI, was thinking early next week?

My residency I went to was fairly similar. Used a similar scoring system, had a huge rank list meeting at the end, etc. On CORD's forums, its not uncommon to see threads asking if anyone has an app scoring system to share, etc. So I'd imagine there are plenty of places that are structured, but I don't know that for a fact, I can only speak for myself on this one.

I can second this - both the program I trained at and the program I am faculty at have similar scoring mechanisms. They serve to create an initial ROL but then there’s a lot of movement for different factors during the rank list meetings.

Any point in sending letters to top 4 or 5 of list for couples matching just in case they haven't spoken to the other department or just let it ride? Also is it too late to send a LOI, was thinking early next week?

i think first week of Feb would be the latest I’d send an LOI. While some are still interviewing in Feb, my guess is most are done by now and are already going through their lists. We should have ours submitted next week.

Our school is advising us to send a LOI to any program we plan on ranking (this is general advice being sent to all applicants). I feel like this is overkill and I'm not a fan of the possibility of it leaving a place with bad feelings if I'm not saying they're my number 1. I have followed up with thank you cards or emails post IV.

Am I wrong to go against their advice? I sent a true LOI/number one but I don't see the need in sending LOI's to all of these places.

Our school is advising us to send a LOI to any program we plan on ranking (this is general advice being sent to all applicants). I feel like this is overkill and I'm not a fan of the possibility of it leaving a place with bad feelings if I'm not saying they're my number 1. I have followed up with thank you cards or emails post IV.

Am I wrong to go against their advice? I sent a true LOI/number one but I don't see the need in sending LOI's to all of these places.

This is bad advice. Don’t do it.

They are either encouraging you to lie and tell every place their your number one. Or you are sending an email to a program saying that you are ranking them, which for sure won’t benefit you and will almost certainly make you look bad.

That is bad advice.

You lost me at 12 hour shifts and 4 years of residency. Up until that I could see why it may be a close call. I'd go tightnit 3 year residency with reasonable work hours in a small town ALL DAY. But then again, I work in a tightnit 3 year residency with reasonable work hours in a small town. So... I may be biased.
Exactly! At one of my last interviews, they mentioned 12 hour shifts for a 4 year program and I found myself tuning out. I knew I had ZERO interest in that!

Last edited:

Bad advice.

I hate to ask this here, as I don't want to spam the thread, and would have asked it on the spreadsheet, alas that wonderful resource is a graveyard now RIP. Does anyone recall if Stanford said NOT to engage in post-interview communications? I interviewed at a few places that specifically said, don't reach out after the interview (no thank you notes, no LOI, name it), but at this point in the interview process, I just don't remember the details of each interview day unfortunately.

Agreed, RIP the mostly helpful (but sometimes a cesspool) spreadsheet. Also, does anyone remember if UChicago has an orientation month?

Did your school actually advise that? I don't doubt you are reporting the truth, I just mean, did they mean to reach out by email to your top choices with post-interview updates and/or send LOI's meaning Letters of (Strong) Interest, or they legit told the entire student body (not just EM) to literally tell every program on their rank list that you are ranking them #1? If the latter, that seems cray cray and is sure to blow up a storm... I mean, imagine 100-125 students each sending like 10 #1 emails, that's like over 1000 letters sent, 90% of which are lies... That seems like a majorly bad idea, but I'm wondering if maybe there was an error in communication here, jw.

I had a student this year tell me their school instructed them to send “I’m ranking you highly” emails to every program on their list. So I believe it. Some schools have better advisors than others. And in the DO world, good advisors are hard to come by at many schools when it comes to EM.

• Sad
I am getting mixed opinions on this..... What do you all think about getting hired where you completed residency? Some people are saying it's hard to transition from being seen as the resident to now an attending and suggest doing residency somewhere you don't want to end up working.

Is the spreadsheet ever going to get unlocked again? If not, any other options for a chat like function? I just went on there and there was only 6 people viewing. Lol

Did your school actually advise that? I don't doubt you are reporting the truth, I just mean, did they mean to reach out by email to your top choices with post-interview updates and/or send LOI's meaning Letters of (Strong) Interest, or they legit told the entire student body (not just EM) to literally tell every program on their rank list that you are ranking them #1? If the latter, that seems cray cray and is sure to blow up a storm... I mean, imagine 100-125 students each sending like 10 #1 emails, that's like over 1000 letters sent, 90% of which are lies... That seems like a majorly bad idea, but I'm wondering if maybe there was an error in communication here, jw.

Yes they really did. I had an honest conversation with the sender about how this didn't feel like solid advice and that I would reconsider how it was worded. No error in communication. It was worded to send an LOI to every program that you rank.

Last edited:
Is the spreadsheet ever going to get unlocked again? If not, any other options for a chat like function? I just went on there and there was only 6 people viewing. Lol
I tried opening it up yesterday morning but someone started deleting whole tabs and large sections of the chat.

• Sad
I am getting mixed opinions on this..... What do you all think about getting hired where you completed residency? Some people are saying it's hard to transition from being seen as the resident to now an attending and suggest doing residency somewhere you don't want to end up working.
I think the opposite. I’ve seen a lot of programs hire within with no issues. YOU may feel weird about it, but if you have interns or 2s reporting in to you as the senior how is this any different except for your salary?

This is pretty common in community EM programs. Often times grads stick around as clinical faculty and eventually become core faculty. I think its important for programs not to be entirely inbred, there's a balance there. Hiring your own helps keep staffing full so you aren't using locums to train people (this happens at some places) but you need diversity in practice and thought as well. So it's definitely a balance you need to strike from a programs standpoint in hiring your former grads and finding people from the outside.

It's not a hard transition to make. You already know the system, the charting system, and the residents you are going to be working with. I would find it easier starting a clinical faculty job straight out of residency where I trained compared to another hospital systems program.

All that being said, I do believe that new grads greatly benefit from independent practice. Whether that's working a year or two prior to becoming clinical faculty, or at least moonlighting on their own while working as clinical faculty.

I cannot decide between my top 2 and it's literally driving me crazy. I don't know what to do. It's my home program and another program. *sigh*

I cannot decide between my top 2 and it's literally driving me crazy. I don't know what to do. It's my home program and another program. *sigh*

The people who end up the most disappointed on match day are people that spend weeks flip flopping their top two and end up past both. Draw names from an envelope or flip a coin, but being open to your whole list is much more important.

Over the last 24 hours I’ve found out 2 critical pieces of information I was using in making my rank list were just dead wrong.

Both came from the SDN/Reddit world. Make sure not to blindly trust all the rumors you hear on here.

Over the last 24 hours I’ve found out 2 critical pieces of information I was using in making my rank list were just dead wrong.

Both came from the SDN/Reddit world. Make sure not to blindly trust all the rumors you hear on here.
what was it

Regarding UAB: “you aren’t eligible for crit care fellowship because they don’t have enough ICU time” - reality is they have more than enough and match people into CCM regularly.

Regarding UF-Gainesville: “they work 24/28 days month” - they work 20/month as interns, as per multiple interns.

Regarding UAB: “you aren’t eligible for crit care fellowship because they don’t have enough ICU time” - reality is they have more than enough and match people into CCM regularly.

Regarding UF-Gainesville: “they work 24/28 days month” - they work 20/month as interns, as per multiple interns.

CCM depends on the type. Going medical CCM does actually have requiresments on floor/ICU months, but anesthesiology/surgical CCM has less requirements so that's not entirely untrue.

Also, some people factor in didactics into work days. So 24/28 days being at the hospital isn't entirely incorrect either, which is another +1 for month-to-month programs over block programs imo.

Reactions: 3 users

lol

CCM depends on the type. Going medical CCM does actually have requiresments on floor/ICU months, but anesthesiology/surgical CCM has less requirements so that's not entirely untrue.

Also, some people factor in didactics into work days. So 24/28 days being at the hospital isn't entirely incorrect either, which is another +1 for month-to-month programs over block programs imo.

oh damn

lol UF Gainesville is $900 a week for out-of-state DO students to do an away rotation.

ok