2019-2020 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted to my top choice and will get to start med school with my long-time girlfriend!!! Keep faith! I will be withdrawing my AL spot from here ASAP. I hope you guys get the call/email soon. You guys kept me a little more sane these past few weeks :)
NOOOOO you too? :(

good luck! you'll kill it out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted to my top choice and will get to start med school with my long-time girlfriend!!! Keep faith! I will be withdrawing my AL spot from here ASAP. I hope you guys get the call/email soon. You guys kept me a little more sane these past few weeks :)
Oh my god congratulations!!!!! I love seeing all of these posts on here. Gives me so much hope, you guys are going to be great doctors.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

congrats!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else still think it’s weird that people are getting off of WLs at other schools, but it has been over a month since a single person has posted to say they have gotten into AMC?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else still think it’s weird that people are getting off of WLs at other schools, but it has been over a month since a single person has posted to say they have gotten into AMC?
truly very weird

Reactions: 1 user
AMC is known for delayed movement, and with covid 19 there is even more uncertainty, so hang in there.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hasn’t there already been amc WL movement though? I think those people prob just haven’t posted on sdn. Idk, amc send help tanks

Hasn’t there already been amc WL movement though? I think those people prob just haven’t posted on sdn. Idk, amc send help tanks
A user communicated with AMC and they were told there is movement. However, I’m skeptical because I find it unlikely that no one has said anything on here.

A user communicated with AMC and they were told there is movement. However, I’m skeptical because I find it unlikely that no one has said anything on here.

Reached out to AMC 2 days ago and they mentioned they have started pulling people off from the AL. Like @Gregor_Mendel said, Albany is apparently known for their delayed movement so maybe we will see gradual As being sent out throughout May. Also, the people who have been given A's probably just don't use SDN.

In that case, more positive conspiracy theories to keep me hopeful please. Thank u!

Reached out to AMC 2 days ago and they mentioned they have started pulling people off from the AL. Like @Gregor_Mendel said, Albany is apparently known for their delayed movement so maybe we will see gradual As being sent out throughout May. Also, the people who have been given A's probably just don't use SDN.
Well, if multiple people have heard back, it must be true. I know only a small portion of applicants use SDN, however I just find it unlikely that no one has posted saying they got in.

Just officially withdrew my spot on the AL! I hope everyone on here gets the call soon! This thread has been my favorite lol :p

Reactions: 10 users
Did AMC give you any information about your application and movement specifically?

Did AMC give you any information about your application and movement specifically?

I asked them about the number of available seats, but they were unable to share with me any specific details about my application or the AL. Albany did say they still have seats available for the incoming class and they are handing out acceptances slowly. They are monitoring the number of available seats closely as accepted applicants withdraw, and they are aware this can be a slow process and asked us to be patient.

Reactions: 6 users
I asked them about the number of available seats, but they were unable to share with me any specific details about my application or the AL. Albany did say they still have seats available for the incoming class and they are handing out acceptances slowly. They are monitoring the number of available seats closely as accepted applicants withdraw, and they are aware this can be a slow process and asked us to be patient.
Kind of a canned answer, but at least they are being honest and forthcoming.

Update: So apparently the FB page went from like 174 members (I last checked a few days ago)to 141(checked today).

I’m still hoping for WL movement for you guys but make sure you keep options open! Seems like the class is pretty full right nos

:( sorry

Update: So apparently the FB page went from like 174 members (I last checked a few days ago)to 141(checked today).

I’m still hoping for WL movement for you guys but make sure you keep options open! Seems like the class is pretty full right nos

I think that prolly just solidifies that people are dropping like flies! Positive mindset!

I think that prolly just solidifies that people are dropping like flies! Positive mindset!

Yes, Yes, Yes! Not to mention, pretty much everyone who has contacted admissions has received a response stating “seats are still available”..... “it’s a slow process”.....”etc”. Keeping a positive mindset indeed!

Always good to have a plan B, but again, using the FB page as a potential marker to gauge the seat availability is not the best choice. If anyone who is in the groupme/WhatsApp could check and let us know the number of people in it, it would be much appreciated. (@banterboy ?)

Last edited:
Always good to have a plan B, but again, using the FB page as a potential marker to gauge the seat availability is not the best choice. If anyone who is in the groupme/WhatsApp could check and let us know the number of people in it, it would be much appreciated.

You're right about that, life isn't a straight line. It is important to have a plan B, just in case plan A does not go as expected.

Saying goes: Expect the best, while preparing for the worst.

For people that withdrew acceptances, How long did it take to get your deposit back? It's been over three weeks and I'm yet to get anything in the mail.

Hmmm... 100 people in the Groupme for a class of ~150. Seems like some decent odds.
its absolutely nuts that nobody in this has been accepted from alt list yet. I checked back every year basically and this hasn't happened by this date. I know people say that SDN is a small sample size but like statistically the odds of no one on SDN being accepted if they actually have had decent movement is slim

Reactions: 6 users
For what it is worth, many school threads are worrying about no WL movement. Do not let this process succeed in dehumanizing you because you're all clearly excellent candidates that have worked hard...also there are plenty more challenges to come

For what it is worth, many school threads are worrying about no WL movement. Do not let this process succeed in dehumanizing you because you're all clearly excellent candidates that have worked hard...also there are plenty more challenges to come
That's actually really good to know. This is an unprecedented time and I'm sure schools are somewhat reeling with knowing what to do. The movement is probably slow because adcoms are waiting and watching to see what applicants are doing. I also would think they are having a hard time communicating with the members because most/all are working from home.

That's actually really good to know. This is an unprecedented time and I'm sure schools are somewhat reeling with knowing what to do. The movement is probably slow because adcoms are waiting and watching to see what applicants are doing. I also would think they are having a hard time communicating with the members because most/all are working from home.

It likely is less on the ADCOM side and more of a systemic lack of commitment from students due to COVID-19 and late individual CTE commit dates. Imagine you have an A and a WL, but the WL is to your dream school. Assuming the CTE date for the acceptance isn't until say July, then the student has no reason for a CTE. This causes a bottle neck in WL movement, which really sucks for many. I am CTE'd here and will see you all in the fall that are attending

Reactions: 5 users
It likely is less on the ADCOM side and more of a systemic lack of commitment from students due to COVID-19 and late individual CTE commit dates. Imagine you have an A and a WL, but the WL is to your dream school. Assuming the CTE date for the acceptance isn't until say July, then the student has no reason for a CTE. This causes a bottle neck in WL movement, which really sucks for many. I am CTE'd here and will see you all in the fall that are attending
So are you supposing it’s slow because students are running out the 3 day response time that AMC allows after accepting a student?

So are you supposing it’s slow because students are running out the 3 day response time that AMC allows after accepting a student?

Not necessarily. I am saying it is a feedback loop-students with an A are PTE'd, which means they are on a wait list for a school they (may) want to attend if accepted. Until then, they are holding another person's spot that is on the WL for the school they are accepted at, and enough people doing this will slow movement considerably. When we hit that "critical mass" of people that CTE/PTE finally, the movement will happen fast. With COVID, it is possible that it will be more of a trickle this year than a rush. It is like the the economy-speculation is poor so people will be conservative

Not necessarily. I am saying it is a feedback loop-students with an A are PTE'd, which means they are on a wait list for a school they (may) want to attend if accepted. Until then, they are holding another person's spot that is on the WL for the school they are accepted at, and enough people doing this will slow movement considerably. When we hit that "critical mass" of people that CTE/PTE finally, the movement will happen fast. With COVID, it is possible that it will be more of a trickle this year than a rush. It is like the the economy-speculation is poor so people will be conservative
what's PTE and CTE??

what's PTE and CTE??

Plan to enroll and commit to enroll on the “Choose your medical school” tool on AMCAS. It’s like getting engaged to a school versus getting married to it...ok not really but I like that analogy.

Plan to enroll and commit to enroll on the “Choose your medical school” tool on AMCAS. It’s like getting engaged to a school versus getting married to it...ok not really but I like that analogy.
oh ahhh, whens the date where students have to narrow their CTE to 1? did that date past already?

oh ahhh, whens the date where students have to narrow their CTE to 1? did that date past already?

I can only speak for one school in terms of the exact timeline because I know from my girlfriend lol...but she was accepted in November 2019, had to “plan to enroll” to only 1 school by April 30 by AAMC rules, and then the specific school says she has to “commit to enroll” by July 15. I think every school has different dates that they require commit to enroll, but no one can hold more than 1 MD acceptance after April 30, regardless of where that acceptance is. The PTE or CTE matters more for being allowed to be on waitlists (I think). Might need someone who was lucky enough to get multiple acceptances to answer that one lol

On April 15, if you had more than 3 acceptances you had to narrow your choices down to 3 or less schools. On April 30th, you had to narrow your choice down to one school and elect to either Plan to Enroll or Commit to Enroll. PTE means that you are basically engaged to School A and planning on attending, but you can stay on other waitlists. If by chance you’re accepted off of the waitlist at another school, you can give up your seat at School A for School B. If you had CTE at School A, that means it’s your final choice and you have to withdraw from all other waitlists.

I can only speak for one school in terms of the exact timeline because I know from my girlfriend lol...but she was accepted in November 2019, had to “plan to enroll” to only 1 school by April 30 by AAMC rules, and then the specific school says she has to “commit to enroll” by July 15. I think every school has different dates that they require commit to enroll, but no one can hold more than 1 MD acceptance after April 30, regardless of where that acceptance is. The PTE or CTE matters more for being allowed to be on waitlists (I think). Might need someone who was lucky enough to get multiple acceptances to answer that one lol
On April 15, if you had more than 3 acceptances you had to narrow your choices down to 3 or less schools. On April 30th, you had to narrow your choice down to one school and elect to either Plan to Enroll or Commit to Enroll. PTE means that you are basically engaged to School A and planning on attending, but you can stay on other waitlists. If by chance you’re accepted off of the waitlist at another school, you can give up your seat at School A for School B. If you had CTE at School A, that means it’s your final choice and you have to withdraw from all other waitlists.
thanks y'all! all these acronyms.. haha

I recently withdrew my acceptance from here. I really loved AMC, but was accepted off the waitlist to a school closer to some of my family. I am rooting for all of you :love:

Reactions: 16 users
Officially withdrew my acceptance! Wishing everyone who is waiting to hear back from AMC the best of luck!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hmm so I responded that I wanted to be on the alternate list like the day the first email was sent and didn’t check back until today. Now when I open the alternate response tab it says we’re sorry - the deadline for alternate has passed. does that mean I am not on the list?

Hmm so I responded that I wanted to be on the alternate list like the day the first email was sent and didn’t check back until today. Now when I open the alternate response tab it says we’re sorry - the deadline for alternate has passed. does that mean I am not on the list?

I'm assuming that the we're sorry-the deadline for alternate has passed" is there for everyone. I did find it a bit disheartening that we didn't receive a confirmation email for us to have peace-of-mind. But It shows up for me as well and I submitted my response like 7x....LOL!

I'm assuming that the we're sorry-the deadline for alternate has passed" is there for everyone. I did find it a bit disheartening that we didn't receive a confirmation email for us to have peace-of-mind. But It shows up for me as well and I submitted my response like 7x....LOL!
Same. I submitted it 3-4 times each day it was available.

• Haha
I also accepted my alternate spot the first day the form was open and now it says the deadline has past. I emailed them to make sure my response had been recorded and they responded within 10 minutes confirming I was on the list.