2018-2019 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist pact. If you are put on the waitlist, then a post will be made.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am obsessively checking here and in my email. Who is planning on reapplying if you don't get into the top 30?

Pact is on yo.
My understanding is that no more than the top 30 will be notified, but that as the ranks move, you’d also be notified.
No word so far. I’m expecting before the 15th.
If I get an R, I already prepped my app for PNWU with some of the additional things I’ve added as the year has gone on. I won’t apply anywhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who I interviewed with get off the waitlist yesterday. I am just not sure how it all works. But I know there's still hope for all of us!

I have a friend who I interviewed with get off the waitlist yesterday. I am just not sure how it all works. But I know there's still hope for all of us!

When did you interview?

Pact is on yo.
My understanding is that no more than the top 30 will be notified, but that as the ranks move, you’d also be notified.
No word so far. I’m expecting before the 15th.
If I get an R, I already prepped my app for PNWU with some of the additional things I’ve added as the year has gone on. I won’t apply anywhere else.

I saw in this thread last year that people were getting acceptances in June and the waitlist moved quite a bit after the initial top 30 were ranked. So there’s hope!!

Just got the email! Top 20!!

Nice! Mind sharing your stats?

cGPA about 3.5, sGPA about 3.6 or 3.7. MCAT in the 490-500 range, and experience as a nurse for 2 years, as well as social work and case management before that. I wrote a powerful primary and secondary essay, had strong LORs from current students, professors, and physicians I work with, and lots of ECs, including volunteering in the ED during nursing school, volunteering in community theater, working security on large music festivals, and assisting with research. Some of my nurse experience involved working for a heroin response team affiliated with Columbus OH fire department, so I did a lot of emergency response and followed them through the hospital/rehab process. I think my biggest thing going for me is that I know why I want to be a doctor, what my drive for it is, and purposefully picked a back-up profession that allowed me to directly work with patients and gain an understanding of orders, tests, medications, ethics, and procedures, which will be helpful throughout medical school. I have two BS degrees in Psychology and Nursing. I also interview well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I got the email saying I'm in the top 30! Interviewed morning of 3/29...didn't know that they specified if you were up higher. But stoked either way!

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't get ranked so I will be withdrawing my application, good luck to all!

Got the top 30 email but withdrew my app as I’m attending another school. Hope my spot goes to one of you. Best of luck everyone!

Didn't get ranked so I will be withdrawing my application, good luck to all!

I'd wait a day or two - you're going to see people who get the email but withdraw their app because they got into another school - if this isn't your only choice and not your top choice, then I'd withdraw. Otherwise, what's the harm staying on it? You never know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not ranked either, also waiting it out with hope! Good luck to you all!

Not ranked.

Pretty serendipitous because I just emailed all of my old professors telling them I might need another letter of rec. I also started my application yesterday too. Came home from a run and saw the "lol sucks you weren't ranked" email :(

Oh well. My application went out late (7/15) last year, I am still holding out hope, but it is now full steam ahead to 2020!

Well, the unranked....
Me too.

For those of you ranked, mind sharing your stats?
I’m unranked and I have a 504 MCAT, 3.9 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, work in a clinic as an MA, and have 1,000+ hrs of volunteering.
I applied late (August, 2018)
I was a little surprised I didn’t get ranked, but maybe I was overconfident

Last edited:
Those of you who are unranked I feel for you. I looked at the thread from last year and heaps of people unranked (in the top 30) got in. So don't lose hope it's just more waiting and it sucks :/.

My stats were 510 MCAT, 3.54 sGPA (post-bac only, overall science slightly lower like 3.4), overall GPA 3.32 . I'm a non-trad/older student with a lot of worldly experience, good personal statement and overall strong evidence for my passion for this field. Worked for 3 years as an ER scribe, volunteered for crisis hotline and in the West Indies, had one (verbal) recommendation from a regional dean of student medical education at PNWU, interviews went quite well, applied in Oct 2018.

Tomorrow is the day that people have to declare their acceptance and give up seats they hold at the other institutions they aren't going to anymore, right? I'm really hoping the list moves a lot this year, I would love to see us all get pulled off!

Reactions: 5 users
Was holding on to this acceptance, but I have decided to go with another school. It's very clear by some of the posts here that many of you waitlisted folks will make excellent physicians. Hoping it goes to you!

Reactions: 8 users
Was holding on to this acceptance, but I have decided to go with another school. It's very clear by some of the posts here that many of you waitlisted folks will make excellent physicians. Hoping it goes to you!
Thank you!

I was also unranked. Oregon resident, 3.35 gpa, 500 MCAT, 5 years experience as a Certified Clinical Research Coordinator, tons of D.O. shadowing, medical experience, strong LOR's, extracurriculars, volunteering, desire to work in rural area. Interview went great - wrote a solid letter of intent after being waitlisted. Would literally do about anything to get accepted here at this point. Hopefully we soon see a strong shift up the waitlist for us hardworking folk!

Reactions: 4 users
Just curious if anyone had heard anything recently...I am ranked in the top 20 and I know it’s still early yet, but this whole waiting thing has really put me on edge.

Just curious if anyone had heard anything recently...I am ranked in the top 20 and I know it’s still early yet, but this whole waiting thing has really put me on edge.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one totally on edge. I want to call them so bad and ask how many offers they've already extended but I also don't want to look like a jerk when I've already been asking them a ton of questions about acceptable physics credits (my final physics course got cancelled, so I had to jump into another course with the PHYS label to get the full 8 semester credits done). I'm also in the top 20, hopefully we will hear soon and the waitlist will move a lot!

Unranked and re-applying. What are the chances I get an early II this next cycle? I want to get on the first interview slot. My new app will have 1000 hours of new clinical work my old app did not, as well as two new publications... but I am worried that if they didn't rank me this time they will just put me at the end of the list again :(

What are the chances I get an early II this next cycle? I want to get on the first interview slot. My new app will have 1000 hours of new clinical work my old app did not, as well as two new publications... but I am worried that if they didn't rank me this time they will just put me at the end of the list again :(

Keep your head up. I've heard that a lot of schools like reapplicants (and some give preference), especially if you are able to show that you are continuing to grow and show commitment to becoming a physician. The clinical work and publications should get their attention for sure. The earlier you send in your app, I think the better the chance for an II, as long as its ready to go. It seemed to me that they were pulling several people off the waitlist through the year too, so if you are placed on the waitlist again, you can always send updates and an LOI too.

Keep your head up. I've heard that a lot of schools like reapplicants (and some give preference), especially if you are able to show that you are continuing to grow and show commitment to becoming a physician. The clinical work and publications should get their attention for sure. The earlier you send in your app, I think the better the chance for an II, as long as its ready to go. It seemed to me that they were pulling several people off the waitlist through the year too, so if you are placed on the waitlist again, you can always send updates and an LOI too.
So I am a little bit confused by the dates of the AAMC and AACOMAS application. They are open now and get sent out the 31st and 15th, respectively. Does my submission to AAMC and AACOMAS before those dates affect my spot in line at all? My application is mostly ready for both.

So I am a little bit confused by the dates of the AAMC and AACOMAS application. They are open now and get sent out the 31st and 15th, respectively. Does my submission to AAMC and AACOMAS before those dates affect my spot in line at all? My application is mostly ready for both.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. I think everything is sent to them in a batch on those days, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't sweat that deadline too much, yes you want to get it in as early as you can, but you also want to make sure that you present them with a good picture of who you are and why you want to be a doctor. Personally, I wasn't able to submit my primaries to DO schools until October (I was given bad info and didn't verify it for myself). I didn't get many II, but I did get enough to have made it worth while.

Has anyone heard anything recently?? I was unranked but so desire to attend this school next year!!

Has anyone heard anything recently?? I was unranked but so desire to attend this school next year!!
Not yet.....who wants to be the sacrificial lamb and call about updates? :)

I do know that they just graduated the most recent class on 5/18 and I'm back to chatting with the admissions counselor about my physics course and confirming it will work as we go along. So hopefully they're processing everything and calls for waitlist will start going out later this week!

who wants to be the sacrificial lamb and call about updates?
I called admissions today. They said the list is beginning to move and there should be more offers going out towards the end of the week. However, she did not specify how many. I also asked if she had seen much of a difference with the new MD CTE deadlines, she said that they have not seen any noticeable differences thus far and everything is moving at about the same pace as it has historically.

With that said, if the offers going out are similar to the last few years (and people on SDN where reasonably accurate for when they have been accepted) IMO there should be an increase in offers sent out over next month. So stay calm, good luck and I hope we get a phone call soon!

Accepted! Was in the top 20. I hope you all get a call soon and I get to meet you in Yakima!

Accepted! Was in the top 20. I hope you all get a call soon and I get to meet you in Yakima!

What time did you get your call? I'm still at work and can't access portal from here (go figure)! Now I want to check my phone so bad! Also top 20.

Accepted! Just got off the phone.

Congrats @curr4410 and @Doc Green! Can you help give us a sense of the movement in the waitlist by letting us know what rank you were at before you got the offer? If you had been #20 and got accepted, for those of us who were unranked and still haven't been notified of anything else, it would let us know a rough probability/whether to reapply now or hold on to the $$ for a few weeks longer. If anyone started unranked, but then got ranked, could you describe whether you got an email notifying of that?

Edit:
I pulled up my notes from the open house, I thought I had posted about it but I don't see that I did. LeAnn Hunter said that they expected to make 200 offers by the end of April. Last application year, they made 262 offers by the end of the season. That would suggest that if the waitlist usually averages 100 applicants, 62% of them will receive an offer by the end of the season. Of course these are soft stats - we don't know how many offers went out before WL last year, the true size of the current waitlist, or whether the number of students who deny the offer is historically on track. But it does shine a ray of hope.

Last edited:
Congrats @curr4410 and @Doc Green! Can you help give us a sense of the movement in the waitlist by letting us know what rank you were at before you got the offer? If you had been #20 and got accepted, for those of us who were unranked and still haven't been notified of anything else, it would let us know a rough probability/whether to reapply now or hold on to the $$ for a few weeks longer. If anyone started unranked, but then got ranked, could you describe whether you got an email notifying of that?

Edit:
I pulled up my notes from the open house, I thought I had posted about it but I don't see that I did. LeAnn Hunter said that they expected to make 200 offers by the end of April. Last application year, they made 262 offers by the end of the season. That would suggest that if the waitlist usually averages 100 applicants, 62% of them will receive an offer by the end of the season. Of course these are soft stats - we don't know how many offers went out before WL last year, the true size of the current waitlist, or whether the number of students who deny the offer is historically on track. But it does shine a ray of hope.

All they tell you for ranking is the general. We were both in the top 20. I don’t know if that helps. But top 30 is into top 10 so we know the top 20 have all been offered.

Has anyone initially unranked been notified of getting ranked?

Edit: Oops, just realized that my question was already brought up by dfarr, haha.

Last edited:

Edit:

Hey,
Like curr4410 said we were both in top 20 and it looks like wannaBtraveling doc is now in top 10 so the list is beginning to move. I don’t think they send out a new rank email until they have exhausted the initial list of 30 (I’m pretty sure that’s what they did last year.)

I don’t know if it’s the best advice, but honestly given the numbers you cited I think I would wait. I think there is still some movement to be had. I don’t know if you have been following any of the MD or DO waitlist support groups, but there has been a lot of talk about the commit to enroll deadlines for MD schools, along with speculation that is is causing an overall slowdown in the acceptance process for both MD and DO schools. Especially since there are a bunch of people that could potentially be hanging onto a DO school acceptance but are remaining on an MD waitlist with hope to go to that school instead.

You do get a better chance of acceptance if you get into an earlier interview, but I didn’t even put in my app until either late October or ealy November, so there is still a chance even if you put your app in way late.

One option is that you could give the admissions a call. They were incredibly friendly and helpful when I spoke with them a few weeks ago. If you do call them please post any info you have on this board. I have a friend who went unranked too, if she gets an email I will definitely post so that to let you folks know that more movement has occurred.

Until then good luck to everyone!

Hey,
Like curr4410 said we were both in top 20 and it looks like wannaBtraveling doc is now in top 10 so the list is beginning to move. I don’t think they send out a new rank email until they have exhausted the initial list of 30 (I’m pretty sure that’s what they did last year.)

I don’t know if it’s the best advice, but honestly given the numbers you cited I think I would wait. I think there is still some movement to be had. I don’t know if you have been following any of the MD or DO waitlist support groups, but there has been a lot of talk about the commit to enroll deadlines for MD schools, along with speculation that is is causing an overall slowdown in the acceptance process for both MD and DO schools. Especially since there are a bunch of people that could potentially be hanging onto a DO school acceptance but are remaining on an MD waitlist with hope to go to that school instead.

You do get a better chance of acceptance if you get into an earlier interview, but I didn’t even put in my app until either late October or ealy November, so there is still a chance even if you put your app in way late.

One option is that you could give the admissions a call. They were incredibly friendly and helpful when I spoke with them a few weeks ago. If you do call them please post any info you have on this board. I have a friend who went unranked too, if she gets an email I will definitely post so that to let you folks know that more movement has occurred.

Until then good luck to everyone!

Hey! How long were you given to make a decision after the call? Congrats!

Just got a call about receiving an offer (needed to give immediate response) and decided to turn it down. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

How long were you given to make a decision after the call?
I was so excited I never asked how long I had to decide. I just said yes. But they then said that I had 3 days to put in my deposit. So I think technically I could have said yes and then decided whether or not I wanted to go, but they may be moving faster now that we are in June.

If you are the waitlist for multiple schools I would try to weigh out which one you would prefer to go to first, but accept the first acceptance you get. It is hard to swallow a thousand dollar fee, but to me it is worth paying it to ensure you get to go to medical school. This is what I had done and was really glad I did...I ended up getting two acceptances 3 days apart and it really helped me because I already had my decision made.

I was so excited I never asked how long I had to decide. I just said yes. But they then said that I had 3 days to put in my deposit. So I think technically I could have said yes and then decided whether or not I wanted to go, but they may be moving faster now that we are in June.

If you are the waitlist for multiple schools I would try to weigh out which one you would prefer to go to first, but accept the first acceptance you get. It is hard to swallow a thousand dollar fee, but to me it is worth paying it to ensure you get to go to medical school. This is what I had done and was really glad I did...I ended up getting two acceptances 3 days apart and it really helped me because I already had my decision made.

Yeah I already put down a deposit at RVUCOM in Utah, but I want to go here! That was a $2000 deposit :/

Yeah I already put down a deposit at RVUCOM in Utah
Congrats on RVUCOM! My neighbor went through their program and he loved it. Thats a pretty high deposit, but at least you know you are in. I think there will still be more movement coming up.