2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still think it is service even though you're getting paid. At some point, something has to give with the med school money requirement situation. I'm sure schools see it as a necessary evil but spending hundreds to thousands of hours volunteering without pay won't allow a large number of people to even pay for applications, especially non-trads. This person could've gone into pharmaceutical sales or something with great pay but is serving the homeless instead. The way I see it, members of the armed forces are literally serving our country every day but they still get paid. And nobody would really argue that they are not serving our country because of pay.

I agree. But for Oakland's purpose, they are HUGE on community service which intrinsically doesn't involve pay. Also, pharmaceutical jobs are still technically "serving" our society. Every legal job in the United States serves our community in one way or another.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How would you approach it? I talked about both medical and non medical service and talked about 2 experiences in each of those (2 of them are most meaningful on my primary). I really like the prompt but I talked about growth a lot in my most meaningful essays and feel it may be a bit repetitive.

The term "growth" could refer to a variety of different concepts. For example, you can talk about new ideas/perspectives you've gained from others while serving, the passions that you've discovered, the talents you've refined, etc. I'm not exactly sure what you talked about already but there's always different aspects you can discuss. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I have no connection to the OUWB communities. I am from Staten Island, NY. I know the question is optional, but does anyone know if not answering the question hurts you? I have done a lot of research into the school, the community, the volunteering aspects of the school, and the education, I do not have a connection, but I identify with the type of service and community the school services.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have the red exclamation mark next to Letters of Recommendation even though they list them all as being received?

Anyone else have the red exclamation mark next to Letters of Recommendation even though they list them all as being received?
I do. I do not know what that is about. I am submitting today, I will call them tomorrow to see what that is all about.

Most applicants don't know anyone at OUWB. That's okay! If the prompt is optional, it's truly optional, and trying to come up with something just to fill in the blank will hurt you more than not answering it.

I agree. I live in Michigan within 45 minutes of Oakland and still didn't answer that question because it specifically asked about connections to the community there.

I am assuming that everyone is just waiting to here word back? I almost want to start a game, What were some of you all's majors? Mine was Neuroscience and Mathematics with a minor in Biology

I am assuming that everyone is just waiting to here word back? I almost want to start a game, What were some of you all's majors? Mine was Neuroscience and Mathematics with a minor in Biology
Organic/Medicinal Chemistry :banana:

Biochemistry and Physics

Chemical Engineering with a minor in Bioengineering

I majored in premed

Human Resources with a minor in counseling. Work at a local paper company.

Reactions: 13 users
Would being a biopsychology student be "non-traditional"? There is a lot more social science than in the typical "hard sciences". Or should I simply talk about my gap years in the optional essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Optional: If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities.
2. How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
3. If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.
4. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

Just to confirm, these are this year's questions? Not a previous cycle's?

Would being a biopsychology student be "non-traditional"? There is a lot more social science than in the typical "hard sciences". Or should I simply talk about my gap years in the optional essay?
I talked about my gap year and what I was doing.

I do. I do not know what that is about. I am submitting today, I will call them tomorrow to see what that is all about.

Any update on this or how to solve it? I have the same thing.
Thanks!

First II!!! OOS LizzyM 70 Submitted second week of July!
Any recommendations from current students there :D

Reactions: 6 users
How long did it take to receive a secondary after the initial "reviewing your primary for a secondary" email?

Secondary invitation: 7/20
Secondary submitted: 8/9
Application marked complete: 8/9

secondary submitted tonight, and immediately received an email marking my status as complete

Hate to say it, but get used to it lol, and not just for OUWB. Unfortunately your complete date has virtually no bearing on when you'll get an II (unless you submit super late of course). You can be complete in July and be getting IIs as late as March or April. At least at OUWB, no news is good news. They are pretty good about sending rejections if they know they're not interested. I know some folks who were complete in the summer, got IIs here as late as February, and interviewed in March and still were accepted. I know it's tough, but you gotta be patient and just try not to think about it haha.

oh i know. I'm just talking about the silence in general for everyone else not just me.

Reactions: 2 users
So I submitted my secondary on 8/3 and it currently says that my application is incomplete and I have a red exclamation point next to where it says Letters of Recommendation. When I click "See Document Status for Details" it says received on 7/25/18. I have had no problem with my letters of recommendation for any other school I applied to. Anyone else having this problem? Should I call them on Monday to try and get this straightened out?

So I submitted my secondary on 8/3 and it currently says that my application is incomplete and I have a red exclamation point next to where it says Letters of Recommendation. When I click "See Document Status for Details" it says received on 7/25/18. I have had no problem with my letters of recommendation for any other school I applied to. Anyone else having this problem? Should I call them on Monday to try and get this straightened out?

I have the same problem but in the confirmation of supplemental app email they said they take a few days to get the letters uploaded so I was just going to give them a few more days before giving them a call! If you call them though let me know what ya find out!

This happened to me and it worked itself out, I guess there was like a glitch in the system or something. I would wait until like Tuesday to call them if it does not work itself out.

II this morning! OOS, but thrilled to envision myself training in Michigan!

II! In-state

Last edited:
Finally submitted my secondary here! Did anyone else have a red checkmark next to LOR even though they all show up as having been downloaded when you click on them? Does that go away eventually? I didn't get a complete email

1. Optional: If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities.
2. How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth?
3. If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.
4. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that is not already represented in your application materials? Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.

For prompt #2, is serving others in reference to volunteer work? I can also want talk about my paid clinical experience and how it's helped me grow.

I've had one essay left on this secondary for a while now. Is it even worth submitting without a high MCAT score? I'm a URM and IS but I know Oakland is private and accepts a lot of high caliber students that don't really need any holistic review.

I've had one essay left on this secondary for a while now. Is it even worth submitting without a high MCAT score? I'm a URM and IS but I know Oakland is private and accepts a lot of high caliber students that don't really need any holistic review.
And here i thought they prided themselves on their holisticness lol

I think it is if you’re within range

Yes, it's worth applying. If you meet the cutoff they will seriously consider your application, and if you're strong in other areas and a good fit for the school you'll have a very reasonable shot. Our average MCAT is actually not super high. We give a very holistic review to ALL applicants - a student with perfect stats who is not a good fit for the school (no volunteering, for instance), will not be accepted.

Would you say ~200 hours of volunteering, clinical and non-clinical combined, is enough to have a decent shot at acceptance, given good grades/MCAT as well? I'm IS and I really like Oakland, but I just don't have a ton of non-clinical volunteering experience.

Would you say ~200 hours of volunteering, clinical and non-clinical combined, is enough to have a decent shot at acceptance, given good grades/MCAT as well? I'm IS and I really like Oakland, but I just don't have a ton of non-clinical volunteering experience.
PMed you!

Found an II from a couple days ago!
OOS, LizzyM ~75, reapp, complete 07/15

Never been to Michigan before, so I'm not sure how public transport is.
Anyone know the best way there from the airport? Rental or Uber?

Interview scheduled for 9/7
Received II on 8/14
Secondary Submitted on 7/24
AMCAS submitted 6/7

Really looking forward to this interview!!

II invite today! 2nd of the season, so excited!
Re-applicant. Complete 7/314 LM: 66-67