2018-2019 Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll call eventually if no one has the answer, but any idea if all the merit based scholarships have been awarded? I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance, but the only thing that would make me consider OUWB over other acceptances is a scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll call eventually if no one has the answer, but any idea if all the merit based scholarships have been awarded? I will most likely be withdrawing my acceptance, but the only thing that would make me consider OUWB over other acceptances is a scholarship.
When did you get your acceptance? I got my call about my scholarship about two weeks after I got my acceptance. I would wait until the next estimated committee meeting (if one hasn't already happened yet between now and when you got accepted).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get your acceptance? I got my call about my scholarship about two weeks after I got my acceptance. I would wait until the next estimated committee meeting (if one hasn't already happened yet between now and when you got accepted).
Oh I got my acceptance back in November. But they basically said scholarships can be awarded anytime until classes start, so I was just wondering where they were at with those.

is there a current medical student at ouwb that i can talk to?

I interviewed early Jan and was waitlisted early Feb.. I talked to a connect I have at OUWB, They said same thing about how they reject ppl pretty quick and the waitlist is fairly selective.. but of intrigue he was telling me about how this year for the first time schools can’t see from where or how many offers you have (bc someone sued) so on their end it’s a lot more foggy who’s actually gonna accept and thus draws out the process longer.. so he says things will really start moving on April 30th, which is when students can only hold 1 offer

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. Basically, in prior application cycles, after a certain date (I think maybe February something?) schools were able to see all other acceptances held by applicants whom they had accepted. So for instance if you had been accepted at Wayne, MSU, and OUWB, once OUWB accepted you and it was after that date, OUWB would be able to see that you had also been accepted by Wayne and MSU. Having this data helps OUWB sort out how many acceptances they need. So for instance, they know that on average X% of people with 3 acceptances will come to OUWB. Or people from CA with an acceptance to a CA school have a Y% chance of coming to OUWB. Now these applicants are already accepted, so that information can't hurt them, but it does help OUWB determine how many more people they need to accept to fill the class. Without that information, they're basically making offers blindly and hoping they don't overfill. If you waitlist and accept slowly/later, you can always accept more people. That's inconvenient to the school and the applicant, but making too many acceptances too early is a disaster - you risk overfilling the class and needing to convince some people to defer a year, which I think has happened at another school recently if I'm remembering correctly. So I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of schools are more cautious with acceptances and more liberal with waitlists this year as a result.
They would be able to see the total number of people that "plan" to come by April 30th because my AMCAS asked me to select one of the schools I've been accepted to.

Has anyone who interviewed in November- December heard back about scholarships ?

I interviewed early Jan and was waitlisted early Feb.. I talked to a connect I have at OUWB, They said same thing about how they reject ppl pretty quick and the waitlist is fairly selective.. but of intrigue he was telling me about how this year for the first time schools can’t see from where or how many offers you have (bc someone sued) so on their end it’s a lot more foggy who’s actually gonna accept and thus draws out the process longer.. so he says things will really start moving on April 30th, which is when students can only hold 1 offer

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. Basically, in prior application cycles, after a certain date (I think maybe February something?) schools were able to see all other acceptances held by applicants whom they had accepted. So for instance if you had been accepted at Wayne, MSU, and OUWB, once OUWB accepted you and it was after that date, OUWB would be able to see that you had also been accepted by Wayne and MSU. Having this data helps OUWB sort out how many acceptances they need. So for instance, they know that on average X% of people with 3 acceptances will come to OUWB. Or people from CA with an acceptance to a CA school have a Y% chance of coming to OUWB. Now these applicants are already accepted, so that information can't hurt them, but it does help OUWB determine how many more people they need to accept to fill the class. Without that information, they're basically making offers blindly and hoping they don't overfill. If you waitlist and accept slowly/later, you can always accept more people. That's inconvenient to the school and the applicant, but making too many acceptances too early is a disaster - you risk overfilling the class and needing to convince some people to defer a year, which I think has happened at another school recently if I'm remembering correctly. So I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of schools are more cautious with acceptances and more liberal with waitlists this year as a result.

I spoke with a faculty member and they told me that if im on the waitlist i have a good chance to get in. i was told they end up accepting 3 times the class size. additionally, since they cannot see the multiple acceptance report anymore, I would assume they would not accept significantly more than the class size before april 30th to avoid overfilling. If that is true, we'd expect more acceptances to be handed out via waitlist (since they tend to historically accept 3 times the class size). I think this year things will be hectic and interesting cuz no one knows what's going to happen, unless if the school is following their own previous trend

Members don't see this ad :)
So i just read the faculty meeting minutes from 2017 and they reported that 50% of their offers gets turned down and that they end up offering 2.27x of their class size (125). I am REALLY curious how many they have accepted so far or plan to accept by the end of all interviews before waitlist movement

@mrslandingham

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!! Anyone know if any scholarships are left and when the scholarship committee meets? Was accepted last week and hoping for a scholarship!
Was accepted the beginning of this month, for me it was a three week turnaround.

Anybody that interviewed on 2/15 hear anything yet?

Anybody that interviewed on 2/15 hear anything yet?

I asked about hearing back when I sent in thank you letters, due to the meeting schedule of the committee I was told to expect to hear back mid to late march. Pretty sure they usually meet in the middle of most months, so our interview date drew the short stick on turnaround time, from what I figure.

I asked about hearing back when I sent in thank you letters, due to the meeting schedule of the committee I was told to expect to hear back mid to late march. Pretty sure they usually meet in the middle of most months, so our interview date drew the short stick on turnaround time, from what I figure.
I also interviewed 2/15 and remember them saying they meet the first, third, and fifth Monday of each month. So last month, they would have only been able to meet once after our interviews. So yeah, I agree, probably drew the short stick on that. :dead:

I also interviewed 2/15 and remember them saying they meet the first, third, and fifth Monday of each month. So last month, they would have only been able to meet once after our interviews. So yeah, I agree, probably drew the short stick on that. :dead:

You sure about it being Mondays and not Wednesday’s?

Current M1 here - Excited to meet some of you during the last interview day this Friday! Good luck!

Do you think they’ll meet and discuss us this week? Also 2/15 interviewee
I interviewed 2/15 and I called this morning to ask when I should expect to hear back and they said that they had just finished reviewing my file and that I should hear back on a decision by the end of the week. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Those that went to Second Look last year, do you think it is worth it to go? I am out of state and would have to pay for air travel and a room to attend.

Thanks in advance!

Just rejected post-II, kind of shocked to be honest. Oh well! Best of luck to you all.

I got the call receiving an acceptance around 5:20! I interviewed 2/15.
I'm so freaking happy!!!!! I wish you all the best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Third-tier waitlist! OOS Interviewed 2/15. So pretty good chance I will not get in. Congrats to everyone who made it in!!

Lol just got an R email...? They invited me for an interview and I declined the offer

Edit: They called a few days ago asking if I was available to interview on Friday (3/8) and I declined over the phone

Last edited:
Waitlisted... hopefully I'll end up in the 1st tier. I really liked this school.

Since today is the last interview day, i think we will find out the tiers next adcom meeting. I'm betting on March 20th. Last year it was march 26th

Hi everyone, for those who have been accepted, can you please like this if you plan on - or if there is a chance you might be- withdrawing. Thanks!:)
What benefit does this provide? If you're curious about chances with waitlist stuff, Oakland is pretty straightforward with their tiering and odds of getting in. Relax a bit until tiering is released (if it isn't yet). It's long process

What benefit does this provide? If you're curious about chances with waitlist stuff, Oakland is pretty straightforward with their tiering and odds of getting in. Relax a bit until tiering is released (if it isn't yet). It's long process

Agreed.

Hi everyone, for those who have been accepted, can you please like this if you plan on - or if there is a chance you might be- withdrawing. Thanks!:)

According to their meeting minutes last year(link below), they accept around 280 total for a class of 125. Based on fb page size (131) and the fact that they just had an interview, I’d say they will have accepted around 160-180 before WL movement. I agree with above that the question would be more relevant if tiers have been released already, so buckle up for this bumpy ride ahead :D good luck

https://www.oakland.edu/Assets/Oakl...ll-2017-faculty-assembly-approved-minutes.pdf

Agreed.

According to their meeting minutes last year(link below), they accept around 280 total for a class of 125. Based on fb page size (131) and the fact that they just had an interview, I’d say they will have accepted around 160-180 before WL movement. I agree with above that the question would be more relevant if tiers have been released already, so buckle up for this bumpy ride ahead :D good luck

https://www.oakland.edu/Assets/Oakl...ll-2017-faculty-assembly-approved-minutes.pdf
Okay so if I’m understanding correctly and thinking back to interview day, when students say that “Half of those who interview will be accepted” this half includes those that are waitlisted?

Okay so if I’m understanding correctly and thinking back to interview day, when students say that “Half of those who interview will be accepted” this half includes those that are waitlisted?

Since they interview 500, then yes that makes sense.

Keep in mind these FB groups often include faculty/staff and students from other years as well.

Ik But also keep in mind the probability that not everyone has Facebook and those who have Facebook and didn’t join.

Does anyone know when we will have to put a deposit down and how much it is? Thank you!

Keep in mind these FB groups often include faculty/staff and students from other years as well.

lol my speculation was right. fb page is now at 143 members, and they still haven't even reviewed the last batch of interviewees.

For people that interviewed March 1st, do you think we would hear back this Thursday? Or would it likely be next week?

For people that interviewed March 1st, do you think we would hear back this Thursday? Or would it likely be next week?

Their meeting is this Wednesday. They don’t meet next week. This might be their final meeting

Are scholarships still being offered?

Are scholarships still being offered?
I emailed and they said scholarships would be awarded in April, May, June, July, and probably August. It just depends on how much money becomes available and if people turn down scholarship offers.

Would love to hear from some current students! I am currently deciding between OUWB and Ohio State, but am leaning towards OUWB, partially because I would be closer to my S/O and partially because I got a full tuition merit scholarship at OUWB.. overall, both seem like they would make me a great clinician (I have no interest in research/academic medicine). The things that draw me to OSU is their curriculum which gives a lot of clinical experience to M1 and M2 students, and their high STEP 1 scores.

Could any students be able to speak to the clinical exposure that M1/M2 students receive? And does anyone know the average STEP scores at OUWB? I know that they have a 100% pass rate and that ultimately, it's up to the students for how they perform on the exams, but it would be nice information to know! Additionally, I know that research is optional at OUWB as a part of students' curriculum, but would you say that there were good opportunities there? I am super interested in GI if that makes a difference!