2018-2019 Loma Linda University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
2 days available in Jan and feb, Tuesdays/Thursdays. With two different sessions per day.
Hm that’s strange, when I called today they told me to give them 5 dates at least 1 week out and that they would confirm a date with me by email.

@Croyd42 Any tips for interview day? Does it take the entire day, is lunch provided, and any info you can provide without breaking their non disclosure agreement would be much appreciated!
Any advice I give will have to be with the caveat(s) that it is only from my observations and from talking to my classmates who did MD interviews. But, with that being said, I can say in general: be yourself! They picked you to interview for a reason. Now is your time to let them get to know who you are as a person! You aren't just numbers and 5300 characters on a page! Sure you're going to be nervous. But know your application and WHY you want to pursue medicine. Have a cogent, thoughtful answer that is specific to you.
This is simply my .02 that I've gleaned from observing the process...and peppering my classmates with questions:laugh::laugh:
I am almost positive that they serve you lunch. And I think with your interviews, the campus tour, lunch etc. you should plan for a full day.

I want to wish everybody the best of luck! I am super enthused for you and am really interested as to how each of your experiences will shape your view of the school.

Wow, we're only a few days into invites and they're scheduling out that far? Yikes.
I thought it was strange so I asked and they said all the earlier dates were already full... they also said i couldn’t get on any wait lists for last minute cancellations for earlier dates.
Hm that’s strange, when I called today they told me to give them 5 dates at least 1 week out and that they would confirm a date with me by email.
Weird!
Maybe they have different dates available for different people???

Anyone else (non-SDA; LM > 70) still waiting for an II?

Do they send them out once a month (looking at threads from previous years, it sure looks like they do)?

@Croyd42 Any tips for interview day? Does it take the entire day, is lunch provided, and any info you can provide without breaking their non disclosure agreement would be much appreciated!

Typically they will schedule you with two interviews back to back or somewhat close together. After that you are welcome to go on a tour of campus, though this is not required. They give you a lunch voucher that can be used at the cafeteria. Depending on whether or not you take part in the tour, the whole process shouldn't take more then half a day. The interviews typically last 30-45 minutes. They are looking to get to know you. They already know your scores and stats so be prepared to talk more about what makes you you! Also be prepared to discuss any interesting things you have volunteered for or life changing experiences. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
II on Friday... OOS Complete first week of August, earliest date available was January 8. Are they that booked already?

II on Friday... OOS Complete first week of August, earliest date available was January 8. Are they that booked already?

Congrats on the II!

I was just curious, are you an SDA applicant?

Ahh this makes me nervous that I didn’t properly book my interview. Will call tomorrow and double check. I wonder if the interview booking process is different for SDA versus non-SDA

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically they will schedule you with two interviews back to back or somewhat close together. After that you are welcome to go on a tour of campus, though this is not required. They give you a lunch voucher that can be used at the cafeteria. Depending on whether or not you take part in the tour, the whole process shouldn't take more then half a day. The interviews typically last 30-45 minutes. They are looking to get to know you. They already know your scores and stats so be prepared to talk more about what makes you you! Also be prepared to discuss any interesting things you have volunteered for or life changing experiences. Good luck!
Thanks! Do we get to interact with current students at all? And if we interview on a Friday, can we visit the university church on a Sabbath for service?

Ahh this makes me nervous that I didn’t properly book my interview. Will call tomorrow and double check. I wonder if the interview booking process is different for SDA versus non-SDA
Why does it make you nervous?

Why does it make you nervous?
When I called to schedule the lady told me to pick 5 dates at least 1 week out and that she would email me a confirmation with the date. However, you and another poster said they were scheduling interviews out in January.

Thanks! Do we get to interact with current students at all? And if we interview on a Friday, can we visit the university church on a Sabbath for service?

Yes to both! Typically the tours are done by 3rd or 4th years but you can also request to sit in on a first year class (or 2nd year). Classes are from 8-12 so that might be difficult depending on your interview time but you could always check out a class the previous day. Feel free to message me with any other questions.

Reactions: 2 users
When I called to schedule the lady told me to pick 5 dates at least 1 week out and that she would email me a confirmation with the date. However, you and another poster said they were scheduling interviews out in January.

From what I have read, SDAs get interview invites sooner, and it seems they also get earlier interview date options.

Any non-SDA applicants out there still waiting for a possible II?

Reactions: 1 users
From what I have read, SDAs get interview invites sooner, and it seems they also get earlier interview date options.

yup me. Christian non SDA

Reactions: 2 users

Yes, eagerly waiting. I was complete 8/8.

Yep, waiting for it as a non-SDA Confucian.

Got an interview last Thursday (10/18) at 8 PM EST. Christian (but not SDA) and interview scheduled on Tuesday, 1/8. Their interviews are about 5 hours long with tours, lunch with students, and two interviews. Would love to split an uber with someone flying into LAX on Monday afternoon (1/7)!

I just logged on to my LLU portal and saw that when clicking to view information regarding my recommendation letters, it does not display the recommenders' email addresses, phone numbers, or international access numbers; it's just blank in those fields.

Should I call LLU regarding this issue? Or is this normal?

Is it the same issue for anyone else?

Last edited:
I just logged on to my LLU portal and saw that when clicking to view information regarding my recommendation letters, it does not display the recommenders' email addresses, phone numbers, or international access numbers; it's just blank in those fields.

Was the information filled out on your AMCAS?

It shows the name but when I click the link, it’s blank for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if LLUSOM has a bias against Catholic applicants based on SDA docrine.

I have a catholic friend who had stats that matched LLU’s average and had decent pre-med activities and was offered an II pretty early on.

They definitely don't have a bias against Catholics (or really any Christian denomination). I've worked alongside Catholics at every level: from MD students, to residents and fellows, and even a few Attendings. I can think of at least half a dozen Catholics just off the top of my head.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you fit their mission, you've got a shot :)

Rejected pre-interview

MCAT 515 GPA 3.83

Canadian and Christian.

Good luck to everyone else!

• Sad
I didnt get anything yet so it seems like they are rejecting OOS and non christians?

Rejected pre-interview

MCAT 515 GPA 3.83

Canadian and Christian.

Hey, I’m sorry to hear about your rejection. Was really rooting for you. Will pray for you to get into a great medical school!

Are they still sending II? I'm so in love with this school!

Rejected pre-interview

MCAT 515 GPA 3.83

Canadian and Christian.

I am also a Canadian (and Christian) applying to LLU! I am really surprised you did not get a interview as you seem like a strong candidate. My stats are lower than yours and I applied pretty late so my chances are probably slim. I do have strong research and volunteering experience, but it seems like most candidates have that as well. When did you complete your application?
Are there any other Canadians still waiting for an II?

I am also a Canadian (and Christian) applying to LLU! I am really surprised you did not get a interview as you seem like a strong candidate. My stats are lower than yours and I applied pretty late so my chances are probably slim. I do have strong research and volunteering experience, but it seems like most candidates have that as well. When did you complete your application?
Are there any other Canadians still waiting for an II?

I was complete mid-August. I also did not have a lot of research experience, but I had an array of perhaps strong volunteering and ECs. When did you apply? Are you non-SDA? Good luck!

I'm Canadian with decent stats for this school and got rejected pre-II
When did you have your application complete? You are the 3 Canadian that I know of who got rejected pre II from LLU. Last year LLU took 17 international students so I am really curious to know from where they come from. I always had the perception that they would mostly take Canadians as our undergraduate systems are pretty much the same. Now I assume they accept mostly international students who complete their Bachelor Degree in the US??

Still hoping for some love from LLU!! Any Christian Non-SDA's still waiting for an II?

Reactions: 7 users
Last year LLU took 17 international students so I am really curious to know from where they come from. I always had the perception that they would mostly take Canadians as our undergraduate systems are pretty much the same. Now I assume they accept mostly international students who complete their Bachelor Degree in the US??
Does anyone have an answer to this? I am really curious about the backgrounds of these 17 international students.

Does anyone have an answer to this? I am really curious about the backgrounds of these 17 international students.
I am not 100% sure but from what I understand most of their international students are those who attended high school abroad but went to college in the US. In addition, Adventists are located all around the world and I would think that international Adventists make much of the international student population at LLUSM.

Everything I’ve said above is speculation from the limited # of people I know at LLU, so I may be totally off the mark.

I am not 100% sure but from what I understand most of their international students are those who attended high school abroad but went to college in the US. In addition, Adventists are located all around the world and I would think that international Adventists make much of the international student population at LLUSM.

Everything I’ve said above is speculation from the limited # of people I know at LLU, so I may be totally off the mark.
Thanks for the response. This may be one of the explanations as to why a few Canadians with amazing stats were rejected pre II. Do you by any chance know a international who is Christian but not Adventist?