2018-2019 Loma Linda University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my primary on 7/16 yet, I still haven't received a secondary yet. Last year, I received the secondary the next day but then again I did apply late in September. I thought they don't pre-screen. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. Is anyone else having the same issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary on 7/16 yet, I still haven't received a secondary yet. Last year, I received the secondary the next day but then again I did apply late in September. I thought they don't pre-screen. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. Is anyone else having the same issue?

I would double check your spam folder to make sure it didn't end up there.
If not, I would give them a call and ask if they pre-screen.
I also thought they don't pre-screen, but maybe not???

I would double check your spam folder to make sure it didn't end up there.
If not, I would give them a call and ask if they pre-screen.
I also thought they don't pre-screen, but maybe not???
They don't pre-screen. I was verified before June 29 so my primary was sent out that day, I didn't get a secondary until 2 weeks later, I think they are just generally a slower school with all of the secondary/interview stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current LLUSM students available? I would like to ask you guys about your experience with the school:)

are the religion course all based on seventh day adventist or are they more open ended/ worlds religions?

Does anyone know the percentage of non-SDA students they accept each year?

Reactions: 2 users
Just to ease some minds, based on last year's thread looks like II's start to roll out around the first week of October. So still a month of waiting ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anybody confirm that I am still acceptable to them if I admit to consuming a non-intoxicating level of alcohol on occasion?

Can anybody confirm that I am still acceptable to them if I admit to consuming a non-intoxicating level of alcohol on occasion?
I think it's best to just be transparent; they likely care most about your readiness to commit to the code of conduct as a student.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if it's worth applying if I am not a Christian? The drop down menu asks specific religious affiliation. I want to make sure it is worth taking the time to do ~10 essays

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it's worth applying if I am not a Christian? The drop down menu asks specific religious affiliation. I want to make sure it is worth taking the time to do ~10 essays
My undergrad institution has strong ties to Loma Linda, and from what I've heard LLU admissions gives a preference to Christians and another preference to SDA apps. That said, they really prefer applicants who have a heart and are dedicated to service over those with high stats; a couple students in the class ahead of me applied with a 515+ and got rejected, and I've heard of students with much lower stats getting accepted. They also don't have quite as many applicants and have a very high post-interview acceptance rate, so I think it's definitely worth applying if you fit their mission.

Does anyone know the percentage of non-SDA students they accept each year?

I talked with an alumni of the school that said the class is comprised of approximately 70% of people with some sort of Christian Faith (of that 40% SDA)

I have a question about LLUSM's prerequisites. Here is a screenshot of the biology prerequisite:

upload_2018-9-23_4-58-13.png

My school only has one term (half year) of general biology with a laboratory component. It does, however, have another half-year general biology course, but without a laboratory component. My question is, if I have taken these two courses, as well as biochemistry and microbiology courses with laboratory components, and a second-year course called "Living Systems Laboratory" which is pretty much general biology but with a large focus on laboratory work, have I satisfied this prerequisite component?

If not, should I contact the school and explain the situation? And what does the school mean by "as required by your undergraduate college/university"?

Thank you.

I have a question about LLUSM's prerequisites. Here is a screenshot of the biology prerequisite:

View attachment 240036

My school only has one term (half year) of general biology with a laboratory component. It does, however, have another half-year general biology course, but without a laboratory component. My question is, if I have taken these two courses, as well as biochemistry and microbiology courses with laboratory components, and a second-year course called "Living Systems Laboratory" which is pretty much general biology but with a large focus on laboratory work, have I satisfied this prerequisite component?

If not, should I contact the school and explain the situation? And what does the school mean by "as required by your undergraduate college/university"?

Thank you.
I would contact them; your case seems pretty strong.

My friend last year was honest and said that she has a few drinks on special occasions but would be willing to give this up and comply with their expectations if accepted. Make sure you’re okay with following their expectations thought instead of telling them what they want to hear. She got an interview, so I think as long as you’re honest you’re good!

October is finally here. Hopefully they start sending out II soon :)

Reactions: 5 users
Is it too late to submit a secondary? I should be able to have in done within the next day or so...

Is it too late to submit a secondary? I should be able to have in done within the next day or so...
I would do it! They haven’t even sent out interviews yet. Definitely do it if you’re SDA or non-SDA Christian!

I would do it! They haven’t even sent out interviews yet. Definitely do it if you’re SDA or non-SDA Christian!

Loma Linda is a lot more deliberate than most schools. Turning a secondary in to them now is not too late.
I am a (soon-to-be) LL alum in the School of Medicine (non MD program).
So I have some experience with their application processes and time frames. LLU is an absolutely amazing and unique place. If their mission and ethos appeal to you, I would recommend submitting a secondary to them

Loma Linda is a lot more deliberate than most schools. Turning a secondary in to them now is not too late.
I am a (soon-to-be) LL alum in the School of Medicine (non MD program).
So I have some experience with their application processes and time frames. LLU is an absolutely amazing and unique place. If their mission and ethos appeal to you, I would recommend submitting a secondary to them
Do you think that I have a chance of entering this school? I would just like to know whether or not I should be expecting a possible invite.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Otherstuff,
I'm not on the AdCom, merely a humble soon-to-be grad, so I take what I say with that in mind. But if I were a devout Christian (I am) and I had your stats (I don't. Yours are worlds better than mine! Haha), I would absolutely apply. They really do care about your entire profile.

Hi Otherstuff,
I'm not on the AdCom, merely a humble soon-to-be grad, so I take what I say with that in mind. But if I were a devout Christian (I am) and I had your stats (I don't. Yours are worlds better than mine! Haha), I would absolutely apply. They really do care about your entire profile.

Hi Croyd42,

Thanks for replying! One more question I forgot to ask you: were you an SDA applicant?

Thank you, and all the best on your journey!

Hi Croyd42,

Thanks for replying! One more question I forgot to ask you: were you an SDA applicant?

Thank you, and all the best on your journey!

It's my pleasure! I've watched the SDN Application threads for LLUSM for years, so I finally decided to contribute what I can to help people as they slog through this stuff as its daunting and stressful! I am happy to try to answer what questions I can with observations from my own experiences.
To directly answer your question, when I applied to my program, I was non-denominational. I came from an undergrad institution with a strong affiliation with Loma Linda. It's true that there are a lot of SDA students at Loma Linda. But there are a good number of students from very diverse backgrounds as well.
I don't want to hijack the thread but you can PM me if you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Otherstuff,

Is it a safe place for non Christians or are they more of a cult? I applied here I love their mission but I'm scared to be an outlier in a cult hated by everyone!

It’s strange that only one person got an II here so far. Praying to Him for patience during this interview season!:)

On a different note, I found out the diploma holder when you get your MD has the story of the Good Samaritan! How amazing is that. I feel like the more I learn about LLUSM, the more amazing it gets. Praise God!

Reactions: 3 users
Is it a safe place for non Christians or are they more of a cult? I applied here I love their mission but I'm scared to be an outlier in a cult hated by everyone!
Future MSTP,
There's no reason to be scared! The SDA are definitely NOT a cult! Haha. They are a Christian denomination, much like other denominations that people may be more familiar with. Loma Linda is definitely different in that drinking alcohol is prohibited, but other than that, it's not terribly different than other faith-based schools. It is definitely safe for non-christians. You have required chapel services that you have to attend, religion classes that you need to take and people are open about their faith. But people, generally, are not bombastic in the way they present their ideas. LL is actually a very welcoming and friendly environment. If you love their mission and the school is a good fit for you, and you for them, you'll be surprised by how much they love their students.
Because they most assuredly do. This I can say from first hand knowledge:):)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Applicants!!! I’m a MS1 currently at Loma Linda. While I don’t have a ton of time to be on SDN, I’ll check in every now and then to answer questions, give unsolicited advice, etc. Some general info.... LLU does take awhile to review apps, schedule interviews, and get back to you. This is because they are very selective in the TYPE of person they want to admit. This is good news....it means that LLU values who you are OUTSIDE of academics. We have tons of non traditional students, students from diverse religious and cultural backgrounds, Canadian and international students. I’ve been in school now for 2.5months and I honestly love my classmates. That being said, our class is majority Christian. There are a lot of SDAs, but a very good percentage of non SDA Christians. (I happen to be nondenominational Christian). If you are not religious, I urge you to apply anyway, so long as you understand that there are faith components integrated into the curriculum, etc. (our professors pray for us before each lecture which I find just amazing). I’ve noticed some questions about the interview process.... normally it is two one-on-one interviews with faculty. They last about 45 min. Open application. I’ve also noticed questions about alcohol use. There is a pretty strict policy here, if they catch you, you may face expulsion. That being said, I did note on my secondary that I did drink during celebrations, as I do come from a nonSDA background.
Also, For reference to ease anxiety about timelines..... I interviewed in early December (I think I got the II in November?). I found out I was accepted in January. BUT I know tons of classmates who interview in December and find out in March or April... try not to stress. Step away from the computer and from SDN. pray. Take care of yourself. God will provide a way.

Ok..... back to studying. Like I said, I’ll check in periodically but please excuse my absence as I do my best to tackle first year. Praying for you all! What a exciting time this is!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi Applicants!!! I’m a MS1 currently at Loma Linda. While I don’t have a ton of time to be on SDN, I’ll check in every now and then to answer questions, give unsolicited advice, etc. Some general info.... LLU does take awhile to review apps, schedule interviews, and get back to you. This is because they are very selective in the TYPE of person they want to admit. This is good news....it means that LLU values who you are OUTSIDE of academics. We have tons of non traditional students, students from diverse religious and cultural backgrounds, Canadian and international students. I’ve been in school now for 2.5months and I honestly love my classmates. That being said, our class is majority Christian. There are a lot of SDAs, but a very good percentage of non SDA Christians. (I happen to be nondenominational Christian). If you are not religious, I urge you to apply anyway, so long as you understand that there are faith components integrated into the curriculum, etc. (our professors pray for us before each lecture which I find just amazing). I’ve noticed some questions about the interview process.... normally it is two one-on-one interviews with faculty. They last about 45 min. Open application. I’ve also noticed questions about alcohol use. There is a pretty strict policy here, if they catch you, you may face expulsion. That being said, I did note on my secondary that I did drink during celebrations, as I do come from a nonSDA background.
Also, For reference to ease anxiety about timelines..... I interviewed in early December (I think I got the II in November?). I found out I was accepted in January. BUT I know tons of classmates who interview in December and find out in March or April... try not to stress. Step away from the computer and from SDN. pray. Take care of yourself. God will provide a way.

Ok..... back to studying. Like I said, I’ll check in periodically but please excuse my absence as I do my best to tackle first year. Praying for you all! What a exciting time this is!

Thank you for the amazing insight. I have also enjoyed reading through your other inspiring posts on the school!

Last edited:
I actually think you’re going to be just fine. Loma tends to run a bit late in terms of their application reading, interview invite sending, etc. So you still have a very good shot. Great academic record by the way!!! Higher MCAT score than me that’s for sure :) good luck

Hello KMF77,

Thank you for the amazing insight. I have also enjoyed reading through your other inspiring posts on the school!

Given that you have went through the application process for this school, I was hoping you could help me out with a question that I have.

I have applied to this school and just like you, I am non-SDA, but I am a devout Christian (although I was not able to obtain a LoR from my clergy) who would like to become a Christian physician. I am a university student in Canada with a GPA of about 3.83 and MCAT score of 515: 130/126/130/129 (which was a retake in August 2018, after receiving 511: 128/124/130/128 in August 2017). I have EC's and essays that are at least above average (hopefully, albeit I have only one research experience).

However, I found a couple mistakes in my primary application; and although I completed the secondary for this school in mid-August, I just found out that they received my second MCAT score, which was released in mid-September (I retook my MCAT for some Canadian schools to which I applied, but I did not think that American medical schools would consider the new score after having received the old score). I am not sure if this will delay my application, but I am expecting the worst-case scenario, in which it will (making my application actually "complete" in mid-September).

Having said that, do you think that I have a chance of entering this school? I would just like to know whether or not I should be expecting a possible interview invite.

Thank you and all the best with your studies!

II TODAY!!!! Complete in July, SDA, OOS (although it doesn’t matter because LLUSM is private)

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations! Wishing you all the best, and maybe we'll see each other in the future :p

Would you guys mind sharing your LizzyM scores?
I don’t know how accurate my LizzyM score would be (I did a SMP) so I didn’t bother to calculate it. My GPA is wayyy lower than LLUSM’s median and my MCAT is slightly above.

Got a II today. Has anyone called to schedule yet? What are the interview dates looking like?

Got a II today. Has anyone called to schedule yet? What are the interview dates looking like?

Congrats on the II! Did you get an email or was it on the portal? Also, are you SDA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the II! Did you get an email or was it on the portal? Also, are you SDA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Email. And I'm Christian, which is similar to SDA

I am curious where they are at for interview dates?! My guess is they're starting to fill towards December by now.
Congrats to all of you who've gotten the II so far!
One of these days I might ask the Admin staff if I can lead a campus tour, just for funsies

Congrats! I’m also Christian, non-SDA, but still hoping for an II. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know of what LLUSM did to students who did NOT abide by the lifestyle expectations? This isn't a deal breaker for me, but I want to know if I'm allowed to still drink on special occasions and what not. Thank you!
Pitbulls,
Students who are caught violating the lifestyle/code of conduct policies can face pretty serious disciplinary action. I know, I know, that sounds like a "that's in the handbook" answer, but it's still true. They take it pretty seriously.
If you look in previous years' threads, a few LLUSM students (Wonderdog in particular I think?) have addressed this pretty succinctly and eloquently.
If I can find the specific post I will try to quote it or link it.

@Croyd42 Any tips for interview day? Does it take the entire day, is lunch provided, and any info you can provide without breaking their non disclosure agreement would be much appreciated!