2018-2019 Emory University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In-state, still have not received secondary. Verified with scores long before primaries went out. Emory is a top choice for me, though I am a bit under their median scores, with a 514 and nontraditional path. Fingers crossed I don't get washed out by all the powerhouses!:nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

In-state, still have not received secondary. Verified with scores long before primaries went out. Emory is a top choice for me, though I am a bit under their median scores, with a 514 and nontraditional path. Fingers crossed I don't get washed out by all the powerhouses!:nailbiting:

GPA?

so, keep in mind non-trad, with a post-bacc pre-med program...
Cumulative GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.76
Post-bacc GPA: 3.89

My cumulative GPA is a bit sub-par comparatively, but vast improvement in PB program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received today 7/13/18 and sent out later the same night, but it was recorded as 7/14/18 because of my mind difference!

Something slightly frustrating about Emory is that their median LizzyM comes out to 71.9, yet all I saw on the past years Emory threads were LizzyMs of 75+ getting II’s. Mine is 72-73, but my mcat is a little low for Emory (514, ORM). Maybe it’s that I’m starting to regret my mcat performance more and more as the days in the cycle go by, and interviews haven’t even started yet...

I’ll stop talking before I overly validate all of you that got high scores ;), but boy does this feel bad, especially because I hit higher on all aamc practice tests, and because I really want to go here.

Don't stress about stuff like this haha honestly an average means literally half their class gets in with less than that :D You'll be fine a 514 is a very solid score

Reactions: 1 user
That's seems to be the consensus

I definitely wasn’t in a suit but had professional-ish attire on. I think it depends on how far away the picture of you is. Mine was only shoulders and up. I really wouldn’t stress too much as long as you’re not wearing a T-shirt or tank top.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone. Still waiting to get verified but I've started pre-writing the Emory secondaries. Honestly have no idea if I should even apply but I'm giving it a shot (3.3 525)

Good luck to everyone. Still waiting to get verified but I've started pre-writing the Emory secondaries. Honestly have no idea if I should even apply but I'm giving it a shot (3.3 525)
Smh :stop:

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting on a secondary here too. My Lizzy M is 80. OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary here either. Would suck to not even get past the secondary screen because Emory is probably my top choice and the only secondary that I prewrote in its entirety. I wasn't verified until 6/26 though so I haven't given up hope yet.

No secondary here either. Would suck to not even get past the secondary screen because Emory is probably my top choice and the only secondary that I prewrote in its entirety. I wasn't verified until 6/26 though so I haven't given up hope yet.
Just called. Apparently they're having technical difficulties that should be resolved this week. The woman I spoke with said they're not extending interview invitations for another month anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Just called. Apparently they're having technical difficulties that should be resolved this week. The woman I spoke with said they're not extending interview invitations for another month anyway.
Thanks! Hopefully the "technical difficulties" thing isn't just them saving face.

Secondary received here. How is everybody listing their course work?

Secondary received here. How is everybody listing their course work?
I listed the course abbreviation and number associated with the school I took it at. There is a character limit, so I feel like if you type out the whole course name, you'd run into character limit issues.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondary received and submitted! Just waiting on FAU...

I might be interested in the MA in Bioethics but don't wanna write a 500 word essay. Is it okay to just say MD only or would it help my app to show interest?

I might be interested in the MA in Bioethics but don't wanna write a 500 word essay. Is it okay to just say MD only or would it help my app to show interest?
Lol this is me for the MPH options at every school I’m applying to. I know some schools will allow you to add it on later but I don’t know if this one does

Lol this is me for the MPH options at every school I’m applying to. I know some schools will allow you to add it on later but I don’t know if this one does
well didn't it specifically say that this wasn't a formal application that it was just to show the school your interest? I'd say you can definitely apply later. I was just wondering if it would be to our favor for the MD program to write those essays.

I don't think it would help that much for MD admissions. That time might be better spent refining your essays. Could probably help if you ultimately want to do the dual program, but I've definitely seen that you can apply for it while a med student.

For the question asking about what the role of the physician in the community is, is everyone just sticking to one role? Obviously physicians can have multiple roles in society and my answer reflects that but I'm not sure if they're looking for that or for one role that you believe is the most prominent.

For the question asking about what the role of the physician in the community is, is everyone just sticking to one role? Obviously physicians can have multiple roles in society and my answer reflects that but I'm not sure if they're looking for that or for one role that you believe is the most prominent.
i said many

submitted secondary a couple weeks ago but my LOR are not marked as complete, even though they have been at AMCAS for over a month. anyone else having that problem?

Reactions: 5 users
submitted secondary a couple weeks ago but my LOR are not marked as complete, even though they have been at AMCAS for over a month. anyone else having that problem?

I have a similar problem. The writer name appears, but it says "Name of person: missing reference". I just think their system may be glitchy or slow

submitted on 7/12 and marked complete on 7/12, still have the missing reference on writer name

Same here. Anyone know what that means?
I emailed them about it and they said they are experiencing a technical glitch where your end indicates the letters or missing or there is a problem with the letters when they are, in fact, in place.

All this time I thought I submitted to Emory on July 21st. Just got an email saying my transaction was complete and I can NOW submit my app when I'm ready. *facepalm*
Thought I had already submitted.

When describing health-related experiences, should we include research experience (like bench research) or only primarily describe clinical experiences involving patients like shadowing, volunteering, etc?

When describing health-related experiences, should we include research experience (like bench research) or only primarily describe clinical experiences involving patients like shadowing, volunteering, etc?

I would keep off of Bench Research but Clinical Research could be an acceptable topic.

For the initial "Program Select" section, I see two 500 word prompts related to 1) public health and 2) bioethics. Are these just for MD/MPH and MD/MA interests? Because even when I select MD only the prompts remain and don't disappear.

Does anyone know if admission is harder/easier if you select MD/MPH or if it just for informational purposes?

Would the updates or new information to report question be a good place to talk about life struggles/socioeconomic stuff or no? This is kinda the topic I've also been using for a diversity essay so not sure if it would be odd that I'm essentially sticking in a diversity essay. I didn't talk about it on amcas and I feel like the question is worded weirdly or I'm overthinking it lol

Last edited:
Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Are you guys talking about what you learned or what you did? Also, did you include dates?

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Are you guys talking about what you learned or what you did? Also, did you include dates?

A little bit of both. But it's limited space so I limited it to 1 or 2 sentences for each activity.

Are you supposed to receive a complete email here? My letters are in and fees are paid but nothing so far.

EDIT: Just got off phone with admissions. They can see that I have everything there but I don't have complete status. They said to give it a couple more days and call back if its not resolved by Monday.

Last edited:
Are you supposed to receive a complete email here? My letters are in and fees are paid but nothing so far.

EDIT: Just got off phone with admissions. They can see that I have everything there but I don't have complete status. They said to give it a couple more days and call back if its not resolved by Monday.
I just submitted this morning and received a complete email immediately after submission

Do you have a green check mark under "Application to Emory Complete"? It should be in the Status tab.