2018-2019 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok thanks for the opinions! It is very tricky, don't want to annoy them but also want to show effort! Wish all the schools were a bit more transparent with optional essays
There will be thousands of people in both camps (putting stuff and not putting stuff for the optional essays) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The difference will likely be pretty minute unless you have something new and "app-changing" to add which is exactly what it's there for

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I put my gap year plans under the "I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school" part but do whachu feel is right my man (or woman).
Oh, I don't have the secondary yet so I don't know what it actually looks like. Still waiting to be verified!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone actually received an email that they're complete? I submitted my secondary a while ago but haven't heard
Einstein notoriously takes quite a while to send an "application complete" email, especially later on in the cycle! I wouldn't worry yet.

i wanted to do the same. but i realize my answer would talk about things on my app but it would like tie it in to einstein.. do you guys think thats ok?
as long as you think it adds something to your app, then by all means go for it.

i wanted to do the same. but i realize my answer would talk about things on my app but it would like tie it in to einstein.. do you guys think thats ok?
Yeah, that's how I do most of my "why x school" essays. I mention my experiences and how my experiences will tie into something about the school. I usually talk about it in a slightly different way as to add to my app and not simply repeat. For example, i'm a tutor so I look for "tutoring-like" opportunities for community service at the school to show my continued interest.

Question about the LoR requirements: so my university does a committee letter, but they also upload a packet of my individual letters. My individual letters don't exactly match up with Einstein's requirements for those submitting just individual letters. I have one science professor who I took for a class and two of my PIs, as well as a physician who I collaborated with for a clinical project. Is this okay as long as I have the committee letter?
Edit: also, are we required to direct our advisors to comment on our schools disciplinary policy even if we have not been the subject of a disciplinary action? There was a section asking for this on the letters of recommendation page

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone else still waiting on a secondary? I added this school very early July and still nothing

Anyone else getting an error when trying to upload a picture?

How did you guys list a letter packet from my university's pre-health committee?

"I have a Pre-Professional Committee but have elected NOT to have my Pre-Committee write on my behalf, and have chosen other letter writers"?

Per the secondary:

"Applicants who have attended a school at which there is no Pre-Professional Advisory Committee must have two letters of recommendation from faculty members at that school. One of these letters should be from a faculty member in the department of the applicant's major, and the other from a science faculty member. If the major subject is science, the second letter should be from a member of a science department other than the person writing the first letter. Letters from Teaching Assistants will not satisfy this requirement, although TAs may co-sign letters with senior faculty. "

It seems as if the other letter must be outside of your major.
For anyone wondering, I submitted two science letters from my major and they marked me as complete without any issues.

"I have taken off at least a year since college graduation" If I've been working full-time since after graduation in 2017, does that count as taking off?

Just got the "complete" email.

Just added this school on AMCAS, let's see how long the processing takes!

Just got the "complete" email.

I never got a complete email but I submitted a while ago. There's no way to check the status online, right? Now I'm getting a bit worried...

I never got a complete email but I submitted a while ago. There's no way to check the status online, right? Now I'm getting a bit worried...
Einstein is really slow with their completion e-mails. I got mine two months after I submitted my secondary last year lol

Reactions: 1 users
Einstein is really slow with their completion e-mails. I got mine two months after I submitted my secondary last year lol
So your application is not reviewed until you receive that email or they look at it but they're just slow informing us we're complete?

So your application is not reviewed until you receive that email or they look at it but they're just slow informing us we're complete?
Tbh, I have no idea. They really keep us in the dark about this stuff.

yeah I got a complete email on 7/17 after submission on 7/7 so i'm not sure what order they're taking
Yeah I also had an issue with one of my letters not being on letterhead so i had to resolve that

How much word/character are we given to explain if we selected "yes" to any of the questions?

So I got my secondary app and completion email, but Einstein has sent me another email to fill out their secondary. Anyone have this issue?

Did you abbreviate school names? I applied to lot of schools and I also want to use this word limit to show my improvements over the past year.
Yup, I had the same problem and the lady said I could abbreviate them but I had to list them all. Not sure how they would know though but I did anyway

So I gave admissions a call, and they said it was fine for me to have no major LOR as long as they were both science professors, so that's nice. Wish I was complete tho lol

Got a completion email half an hour ago (FWIW, I submitted my secondary on July 11 and was "complete" -- i.e., had all letters in AMCAS, etc. -- by July 20th).

How did you guys list a letter packet from my university's pre-health committee?

"I have a Pre-Professional Committee but have elected NOT to have my Pre-Committee write on my behalf, and have chosen other letter writers"?

What did you end up doing? I'm not sure what to write!

Yo do we HAVE TO put all the schools we applied to last year? If i do, then i won't have room to write how i improved or whats changed..
Yes unfortunetly. They said to abbreviate to save words

Reactions: 1 users