2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. Love the SELECT program, especially as OOS. Can anyone with experience applying tell me if my stats qualify as competitive for the program?

Members don't see this ad.

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research (1 first author pub, 1 middle author pub incoming, working in clinical research lab for a year, 8 months of writing highlights for hepatology journal)? hoping my MCAT/research can offset my gpa. Love the SELECT program, especially as OOS. Can anyone with experience applying tell me if my stats qualify as competitive for the program?

You are probably more likely to get something for SELECT. They are more lenient towards low GPA's from my understanding.

I would def still apply for SELECT, do you have an upward trend? Your sGPA is low but its not like its atrocious or anything as its almost exactly at the 10%ile GPA USF has on MSAR so give it a shot. Especially with that MCAT too it shows you actually know your stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably more likely to get something for SELECT. They are more lenient towards low GPA's from my understanding.
Have almost the same stats as OP. Select is fine but a part of core really speaks to me, so I selected both and put core as preference would that hurt my chances lol

Reactions: 1 user
I really like the SELECT program and its emphasis on leadership. Where did you hear about them being lenient toward low GPAs? Is there somewhere on their website or elsewhere online that it says that?

I would def still apply for SELECT, do you have an upward trend? Your sGPA is low but its not like its atrocious or anything as its almost exactly at the 10%ile GPA USF has on MSAR so give it a shot. Especially with that MCAT too it shows you actually know your stuff
sGPA has a more noticeable upward trend than my cGPA, and yeah I'm hoping that they see my MCAT and GPA, kind of figure they cancel each other out (definitely oversimplifying) and hoping they toss me an interview

I really like the SELECT program and its emphasis on leadership. Where did you hear about them being lenient toward low GPAs? Is there somewhere on their website or elsewhere online that it says that?

Just scuttlebutt/rumor. My GPA was pretty crappy to say the least. Some of my other classmates had the same issue.

These florida school secondaries are ridiculously long :dead:

So I'm a dependent on my parents who have established FL residency, but the secondary is saying to use my own information and claim that I am an independent. The problem is, I'm not an independent and I don't have the forms of identification they require for myself. What do I do in this situation, do I just hold off on sending them the residency form until I get these forms of ID??

I think you just fill it out. With DL number and voting Id number or car registration number in Florida. I didn't have to include any forms.

I think you just fill it out. With DL number and voting Id number or car registration number in Florida. I didn't have to include any forms.
Are you a FL resident? You didn't submit a residency form or you didn't submit the identification materials?

By law, I am a FL resident and I am a dependent on my parents, but my DL number, voter ID, and car registration are from another state. I haven't updated these documents since I've moved down here. What I'm asking is, should I just hold off on sending the Residency Form in the secondary until I update these documents? Also, will my application be put on hold if I don't have the form submitted?

Are you a FL resident? You didn't submit a residency form or you didn't submit the identification materials?

By law, I am a FL resident and I am a dependent on my parents, but my DL number, voter ID, and car registration are from another state. I haven't updated these documents since I've moved down here. What I'm asking is, should I just hold off on sending the Residency Form in the secondary until I update these documents? Also, will my application be put on hold if I don't have the form submitted?

Yes I am. I submitted the forms but not the materials. I just submitted the relevant numbers (SSN, DL #, voters registration # etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure on MSAR it says they start reviewing apps the 15th so yesterday

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they use a prescreener before manual review? Any particular gpa/mcat cut offs?

Best of luck to everyone applying! I interviewed here a few cycles ago and am now reapplying, feel free to pm me if you have any questions about interview day. I just completed my master's here and can say that this school is definitely on the rise

Do you mean for receiving a secondary or receiving an II?
For both but I'm more concerned if they use one before receiving an II i.e. was it a waste of time completing the secondary if it's just going to get screened out beforehand:shrug:

II received today. complete early July OOS.
super excited, I've heard great things about this school!!

Reactions: 2 users
II today; complete 8/5

If we're interviewing with SELECT, does it matter which campus we select or is it just whichever we prefer?

Super Excited for this School TOO, and II for the select program. Any thoughts about how to choose which campus?

Congrats to people that just got an interview.. if willing please share stats and date complete! :)

II today, selected 9/12 for interview day. Secondary complete Aug 3rd

How long ago did you guys get the email?

I think their doing it from high to low MCAT maybe instead of complete date order

Last edited:
II for SELECT! Complete 8/2, LizzyM 77, OOS (PA resident, so probably why I received an II for the SELECT program)

Way to go II Crew!

Has anyone gotten a CORE II yet?

My II was for core. Sorry didn't mention. MCAT was 519, gpa 3.5

Super Excited for this School TOO, and II for the select program. Any thoughts about how to choose which campus?

Depends on if you're more interested in the clinical or preclinical environment. Allentown will basically give you a good impression of your clinical years. Tampa will give you a good impression of your preclinical years. I would argue that the clinical environment is more important and really more variable from school to school but it's entirely up to you.

FINALLY my first II!!!
And at one of my top choice schools.
Anyone know if its possible to pursue research projects / one of the scholarly concentrations while in the SELECT program?
OOS, complete early July, 518 but 3.18 sgpa / 3.38 cgpa. I think my secondaries for this school helped, definitely sounded pretty excited for it.

Reactions: 3 users
does that "application last viewed on" status still exist like people discussed last year? (for those of you who got II already?)

does that "application last viewed on" status still exist like people discussed last year? (for those of you who got II already?)
I had checked probably a week ago and I had no date on mine. After I got the email I checked again and still no date so there's that.

Does anyone know post-interview acceptance rate?

Last edited:
I had checked probably a week ago and I had no date on mine. After I got the email I checked again and still no date so there's that.

Idk the number but I remember from reading the thread from last year that an II means they really like you so I think its relatively high not like 30% or something

57% acceptance rate post interview according to that Excel sheet going around sdn. Maybe lower for OOS? And I bet earlier interviewees are higher;)

Congrats man. With those stats...that's just awesome. Good for you

FINALLY my first II!!!
And at one of my top choice schools.
Anyone know if its possible to pursue research projects / one of the scholarly concentrations while in the SELECT program?
OOS, complete early July, 518 but 3.18 sgpa / 3.38 cgpa. I think my secondaries for this school helped, definitely sounded pretty excited for it.

Yes. You are not required to do so, as SELECT counts as your scholarly concentration, but you are able to participate in one if you want.

Yes. You are not required to do so, as SELECT counts as your scholarly concentration, but you are able to participate in one if you want.
REALLY!!! Awesome!!! Tysm. I really fell in love with one of them and had even selected core as my preferred one bc that. Good to know I can do both

who else is going on 9/12 for the interview?

II for SELECT came in on Friday...Does anyone have any idea what the pros/cons are of SELECT vs Core?

II for CORE. Complete 8/17. 3.43/522. In state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
II for CORE. Complete 8/17. 3.43/522. In state.

Way to go!

I Interviewed here way back when in 2013 and from what I recall it was a very relaxed/low stress experience

Way to go!

I Interviewed here way back when in 2013 and from what I recall it was a very relaxed/low stress experience

Thanks! I'm taking postbac classes here, so at least I know how to get to campus and don't have to pay for parking (or stay with a host). I'm nervous about scheduling - trying to avoid missing classes.

Thanks! I'm taking postbac classes here, so at least I know how to get to campus and don't have to pay for parking (or stay with a host). I'm nervous about scheduling - trying to avoid missing classes.

Already off to a good start!

I'd hope your professors would understand.

Already off to a good start!

I'd hope your professors would understand.

They've already mentioned med school interviews as a legitimate excuse, but I will try not to miss for something so close by!

Note to anyone flying in to Tampa: they had a water main break that's really screwing up traffic patterns so be prepared for some traffic.

II for Core. Complete 7/29. In state, 4.0/519

Last edited:
Way to go!

Any hints on how to prep for this interview? (Sorry for late reply - I got the notice during class then worked until 10 PM, so I'm just getting caught up).