2017-2018 University of Pikeville - Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those interviewees who traveled in from far away, what were your travel methods?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends! I JUST submitted my secondary application... am I too late in the game?

Hi friends! I JUST submitted my secondary application... am I too late in the game?
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 6.16.19 PM.png

You're good!

Also, I had a lower like 2.83 science GPA overall 3.13 and I think around 500 MCAT score... but lots of shadowing and extracurriculars so does anyone think I have a shot? I flunked chemistry first semester of freshman year so I started off with a 1.43 and brought it up but still not the best so I tried to make it up with a lot of other stuff. I was in 7 different organizations lol

Be aware that you’ll likely be interviewing for a spot in the class of 2022 with a chance to move into the class of 2021 if you interview much later than February.

Be aware that you’ll likely be interviewing for a spot in the class of 2022 with a chance to move into the class of 2021 if you interview much later than February.
That's fine as long as I get a spot! I just switched jobs and the hospital I'm working for now pays up to $5000 a semester depending on how long you work there so I can wait a year!

But the matriculating group starting this summer will be the graduating class of 2022... Is there something that I'm missing?

Reactions: 1 user
I just didn't know if that was different for everybody depending on when they invited you to submit your secondary.
Ahhhh I understand what you're saying. I reviewed my materials and did not see a specified time for completion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I had a lower like 2.83 science GPA overall 3.13 and I think around 500 MCAT score... but lots of shadowing and extracurriculars so does anyone think I have a shot? I flunked chemistry first semester of freshman year so I started off with a 1.43 and brought it up but still not the best so I tried to make it up with a lot of other stuff. I was in 7 different organizations lol
Honestly with a sub 3.0 sGPA you have an uphill battle for anywhere. I wish you luck!

Did anyone who went to the 2/9 interview and got the acceptance call this past weekend receive an official email of acceptance yet? Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive the email?

Did anyone who went to the 2/9 interview and got the acceptance call this past weekend receive an official email of acceptance yet? Does anyone know how long it usually takes to receive the email?

Congrats! I emailed Ronnie about it and apparently not all the calls have gone out yet. He said that once all the calls have been made, they'll contact us with the next steps.

Congrats! I emailed Ronnie about it and apparently not all the calls have gone out yet. He said that once all the calls have been made, they'll contact us with the next steps.
Okay! I was getting unnecessarily worried about it but thank you!

hey, do any of you guys know if kycom has any trauma 1 rotation sites?

Can any current KYCOM students or anyone who knows comment on why KYCOM's COMLEX first time pass rates are not very high? Their level 2 CE and PE are only 89.3% and 85% respectively.

Can any current KYCOM students or anyone who knows comment on why KYCOM's COMLEX first time pass rates are not very high? Their level 2 CE and PE are only 89.3% and 85% respectively.
Honestly most of us on here can’t comment on that because those of us commenting haven’t made it to that point yet. I can tell you for sure that the COMATs used to be 10% of our grade for our rotations and now they’re 50% and the 4th Years had a higher pass rate than classes prior.

The school has reported that COMAT scores have gone up since they implemented the grade change. As the previous reply states, COMAT is now 50% of a core clerkship grade. Over time we will see if that corresponds to better CE performance.

As a fourth year at KYCOM, I admit that many of my clerkship sites have lacked didactics and formal teaching components. It really is what you make of it. If you’re not reading and studying on your own at a lot of the places I’ve been, you’re not going to learn much. I’d bet that translates to poor CE performance.

The school has reported that COMAT scores have gone up since they implemented the grade change. As the previous reply states, COMAT is now 50% of a core clerkship grade. Over time we will see if that corresponds to better CE performance.

As a fourth year at KYCOM, I admit that many of my clerkship sites have lacked didactics and formal teaching components. It really is what you make of it. If you’re not reading and studying on your own at a lot of the places I’ve been, you’re not going to learn much. I’d bet that translates to poor CE performance.
Makes sense. But do you feel like you're getting adequate preparation at your rotation sites and that they teach you enough to be successful? Do they integrate COMLEX prep into the curriculum? Because KYCOM's PE scores have only gone down in the past year to 85% from 92.3% so was that after they implemented the grade change?

Last edited:
Makes sense. But do you feel like you're getting adequate preparation at your rotation sites and that they teach you enough to be successful? Do they integrate COMLEX prep into the curriculum? Because KYCOM's PE scores have only gone down in the past year to 85% from 92.3% so was that after they implemented the grade change?

I think it depends on where you chose to do your rotations. Some sites have a longer history of medical education and take students from multiple schools. Those sites tend to have more medical student education and I’m sure you learn what you need to. Some sites are more preceptor based and your preceptor may or may not be a good teacher or teach at all. There’s really too much variation in my opinion to make a generalized statement. This does seem to be a concern at many DO schools, not just KYCOM.

In terms of PE scores, I don’t really know what to say about that. The school does a summer capstone during which they put you through some mock PE cases and provide feedback. This is helpful but you still need to put in work on your own to hit all the items the PE expects you to do.

has anyone who interviewed 2/23 or 2/24 heard anything yet?

has anyone who interviewed 2/23 or 2/24 heard anything yet?
I haven’t heard anything yet.. makes me nervous! Did anyone hear anything? Did rejections/waitlist go out the same day as acceptances?

I haven't heard anything yet either, but they said allow up to 2 weeks, right?

I heard yesterday as well! However, I will be making a tough decision and will likely be declining my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you awesome SDNers!

I heard yesterday as well! However, I will be making a tough decision and will likely be declining my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you awesome SDNers!
How long after you completed the secondary application did they notify you for an interview?

so I know Friday interviews start at 12 but I was wondering if that meant that they will provide us with lunch or if I should plan on eating before hand

so I know Friday interviews start at 12 but I was wondering if that meant that they will provide us with lunch or if I should plan on eating before hand
They SHOULD provide you with food in the beginning, Although when I interviewed the food arrived late and was not able to eat and I was hungry throughout the day lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! For any current or former students, does the physical required have to be performed by a physician, or can it be completed by a nurse practitioner at an out-patient facility such as “The Little Clinic”?

Hey guys! For any current or former students, does the physical required have to be performed by a physician, or can it be completed by a nurse practitioner at an out-patient facility such as “The Little Clinic”?

An NP or PA can complete the physical, unless something has changed in the past four years.

Hey there, I know this is an older post but I just have another n=1 experience to add (current fourth year here.) I could be mistaken, but those stats are not exactly up to date. I think it includes about half my class in the PE stats. Everyone I know of that took it later (stats not included in the online data yet) passed. This would increase the overall pass rate. In my opinion, it checks out, as many students who are more confident in their abilities put off the PE until later since they weren't as concerned about having to retake. Obviously this isn't a flawless generalization, but it could at least be a confounding factor.

As for preparation from rotation sites, I will agree with what others have said. I rotated at a site with students from DMU and MSU. I would say performance was varied from school to school in terms of students who excelled and who didn't excel. This had less to do with the site and more to do with individual students, IMO. Those who were more driven to study on their own outside of rotations tended to do better, regardless of where they went to school. MSU was the only school who had formal student didactics through their school. Everyone else attended resident didactics. This varies site to site. I will say that it seems the quality of training on rotations is consistent throughout all DO schools.

Having completed audition rotations and successfully matched, I was concerned with how my clinical experience would stack up against other students- especially those from MD schools- and didn't find much difference. I had multiple attendings from multiple hospitals say they generally preferred DO students because they tended to have a stronger work ethic and didn't feel as though things would be handed to them. I think- at least where I rotated- the medical knowledge was pretty similar between MD and DO students. MD students seemed a touch more comfortable with the academic setting (in terms of having ideas of what specialties were available/ to do what and perhaps somewhat more skill working with an EMR) but those differences were slight and there was enough variation between hospitals I rotated at that it all kind of got lost in the noise. Those with better personalities tended to do better than those who were more awkward, regardless of who was "smarter" on paper. (This was for EM, where personality is a big deal. Seems consistently important between specialties to varying degrees though.)

I had similar concerns to you before matriculating, and continued to have those concerns until match. KYCOM was one of two schools where I interviewed and the one one I was accepted to. I ended up scoring well on boards (despite very mediocre undergrad GPA and MCAT) and matched at a huge tertiary academic center in the Midwest Your success is not entirely dictated by your school and their stats or where you did your rotations, most of it is what you make of it. Hopefully that helps assuage some of your concerns and if you have any other questions, I'm just twiddling my thumbs until graduation. Cheers!

Last edited:
Does KYCOM frown upon doing elective rotations far from the school such as the west coast? And do they allow all electives to be completed elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does KYCOM frown upon doing elective rotations far from the school such as the west coast? And do they allow all electives to be completed elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You have to do your third year rotations at one of their core sites, but you can do audition rotations and out rotations for all of fourth year if you want to. It's on you to set up these rotations (either through VSAS or direct contact.) If you set it up, they don't care where it is at all.

For those who interviewed at KYCOM on 4/13, has anyone heard anything? It’s been 2 weeks and I feel like that’s a bad sign.

For those who interviewed at KYCOM on 4/13, has anyone heard anything? It’s been 2 weeks and I feel like that’s a bad sign.
hey i interviewed that day as well and I havent heard anything yet! Are you thinking of calling the office?

hey i interviewed that day as well and I havent heard anything yet! Are you thinking of calling the office?

Still nothing. It’s been 17 days. I think I’ll try to call towards the end of the day if I still haven’t heard anything. I just want to know one way or another at this point.

Still nothing. It’s been 17 days. I think I’ll try to call towards the end of the day if I still haven’t heard anything. I just want to know one way or another at this point.

I also interviewed on 4/13 and have not heard anything. I tried calling Friday and there was no answer. I just wish they would let us know!

Hey guys, what's the easiest way to withdraw an acceptance. Is there a website I can go to or do I have to call/email? Also when would I have to do that by?

Just got the call of acceptance today! interviewed at 4/13

just withdrew my acceptance. It caused me alot of anxiety, but I hope it goes one of your guys way!