2017-2018 University of Pikeville - Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted AACOMAS App on June 1st. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle:) If you have any questions about the process, the school, or the area, be sure to post them as current students are on this forum as well to help you out.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle:) If you have any questions about the process, the school, or the area, be sure to post them as current students are on this forum as well to help you out.
I noticed in the school mission that research is a component. How important is research to the admission committee, or the school in general? Are classes mandatory? Overall, what do you enjoy best about the area? Sorry for all of the questions!

Research is definitely a growing field at KYCOM. It's not super important for your interview though it may help:) Classes are mandatory only your first semester. What I love most about the area is the outdoor activities and general peacefulness of the area. The people here are really nice too and love KYCOM students:) I don't mind the questions

Has anyone received an email saying the primary has been received?

Just be patient lol. I know it's hard but they will confirm:)

Just to give you my time-line from last year (Im not guaranteeing that it will be the same); I applied in June (early-mid), was invited to fill out a secondary in early July, paid my fee in early July, then didn't hear that I was complete until the beginning of August. In mid-late September I was invited to interview, but the earliest available date for me to interview was late October. I heard that I was accepted about 2 weeks later:) I know it seems like it takes awhile but the admissions committee is doing their best. Try to keep in mind that no news is good news!

Reactions: 1 users
I noticed in the school mission that research is a component. How important is research to the admission committee, or the school in general? Are classes mandatory? Overall, what do you enjoy best about the area? Sorry for all of the questions!
They don't give much of a crap at all about research. We have some very successful student researchers at our school but they sought out the opportunity themselves. The school wasn't much help.
They say classes are mandatory first semester, but second semester and 1st semester of 2nd year there are in class quizzes and you don't know which ones will count and which ones won't. So it's kinda mandatory. The final semester I was still going to classes that offered bonus for attendance.
Buffalo Wild Wings was my favorite part of the area lol. But in all reality there is a good community there. I got involved with shake Senora fitness and did a lot of hiking and exercise with people from the community. They're pretty great.

By the way, I'm a 3rd year starting my rotations next month. I'm studying for boards but I pop on here every now and then so if you have any questions just ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished and submitted secondaries for all of my D.O schools and this is the last school on my list lol. Anyone else gotten a secondary?

Maybe I'm just impatient, but these guys are taking forever

Any word from this school? Any one have a secondary yet? Looks like they were sent out in pretty early July last year...

Any word from this school? Any one have a secondary yet? Looks like they were sent out in pretty early July last year...
Still nothing. Completely forgot about this school

Crickets here... *chirp*

I feel like every other DO school has sent out their secondary except this school....

This is the only DO secondary I've not received. Submitted 6/23.

Anyone know if there is strong regional bias here?

Last edited:
I just received their secondary, but when I try to fill it out the application is grayed out and I cannot add anything to it. Anyone else has this problem?

Secondary Essay Questions:

Please explain why you believe KYCOM is the right choice for your osteopathic medical education. (500 word count)

Please explain why you believe you are an excellent choice to be an osteopathic medical student at KYCOM. (500 word count)

Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. (500 word count)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just received their secondary, but when I try to fill it out the application is grayed out and I cannot add anything to it. Anyone else has this problem?

+1

Hey guys! Just wondering if you guys have any idea how this school views MCAT? I have a mediocre undergrad gpa, a great graduate GPA in my medical science masters program that i'm currently in, and 10 years of scribing experience, and a low MCAT. I just received a secondary and am wondering if they screen/weight MCAT high? Any insight would be great :)

No there isn't there's a Christian group and Muslim group on campus.

By "regional" I meant in-state or in-region...are they giving Oregonians the same look as a Kentuckian or a Floridian?

Last edited:
Does KYCOM send secondaries to every primary applicant? Or do they screen your primary first? @samac

Last edited:
By "regional" I meant in-state or in-region...are they giving Oregonians the same look as a Kentuckian or a Floridian?
I totally was scrolling through fast and misread that, sorry! :lol:
It does have a regional bias. Kentucky students are preferred and made up at least 1/3 of our class. 6 of us from the same Ky school. But that doesn't mean you won't get in. The tests are from other states.

Hey guys! Just wondering if you guys have any idea how this school views MCAT? I have a mediocre undergrad gpa, a great graduate GPA in my medical science masters program that i'm currently in, and 10 years of scribing experience, and a low MCAT. I just received a secondary and am wondering if they screen/weight MCAT high? Any insight would be great :)
It's very light screening. If someone has a 480 MCAT or a 2.5 GPA they probably won't get a secondary.

Secondary submitted yesterday afternoon

Guys, I was trying to submit my recommendation through Interfolio but could not find info about the school.
Did anyone has the same problem?

Does anyone know if this school has fee waiver given we have aacomas fee waiver?

Does anyone know if this school has fee waiver given we have aacomas fee waiver?
It says on the secondary application that if you have a fee waiver to wait until AACOMAS finalizes it because they wont process refunds, but I have an approved waiver and my secondary is still asking me to pay. I just emailed them about this issue.

edit: I just called and mr. Collins applied my waiver so I could submit.

Last edited:
Where is the secondary located? I received the email that it is located online

It says on the secondary application that if you have a fee waiver to wait until AACOMAS finalizes it because they wont process refunds, but I have an approved waiver and my secondary is still asking me to pay. I just emailed them about this issue.

edit: I just called and mr. Collins applied my waiver so I could submit.

Are you saying you were approved for the fee waiver for primary applications? If so, that means we are waived for secondaries also? I had the fee waiver for primaries but I was under the impression it was just for primaries. thanks so much!

Does anyone know this school's match rate? I have scoured the internet and cannot find it anywhere...

Are you saying you were approved for the fee waiver for primary applications? If so, that means we are waived for secondaries also? I had the fee waiver for primaries but I was under the impression it was just for primaries. thanks so much!
There may be one or two exceptions but if you are approved for an AMCAS or AACOMAS fee waiver almost all schools waive the secondary as well. Some schools ask you to send them the approval email and some just have the info already.

For those who submitted their supplemental application here, does your status still say that they have not received the letters of rec?

For those who submitted their supplemental application here, does your status still say that they have not received the letters of rec?

My recommendations say they have been received, but I submitted them via AACOMAS! Hope this helps!