2017-2018 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do incoming students get an iPad or computer?

Nope, neither. If you don't have a newer computer, I would suggest investing in one to avoid any problems with our exam software :) I think at some point before classes started they gave us a list of specifications to help guide in purchasing a new laptop

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, neither. If you don't have a newer computer, I would suggest investing in one to avoid any problems with our exam software :) I think at some point before classes started they gave us a list of specifications to help guide in purchasing a new laptop
Hi! I know that there is a technology allowance built in for the first year cost of attendance. Do you get that financial aid money payout before classes started? Or did you have to purchase out of pocket and be reimbursed later on?

You don't get your financial aid payout until after classes start. I thought I heard that FAFSA funds are transferred in October, but I may be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II Just now for end of feb. is this for a waitlist position or for an actual seat since i heard they fill up their class early.

Does anyone know the website for the application portal? I lost my email with all of that information and wanted to check my applications status just for the slight chance there is an II I didn't get an email for :help:

Does anyone know the website for the application portal? I lost my email with all of that information and wanted to check my applications status just for the slight chance there is an II I didn't get an email for :help:

If I remember correctly, there is no application portal, all communication is done through email and the essays were through the AACOMAS!

You don't get your financial aid payout until after classes start. I thought I heard that FAFSA funds are transferred in October, but I may be wrong.

Last year (and I would assume this upcoming year as well), loans for the first semester dispersed on the first day of classes. Those of us who did direct deposit had it in our account within a few days (I think mine took 2) after that. Those who do paper check have to wait longer so I don't know what the time frame on that is. For second semester it was the same thing. Second semester dispersed on the first day of classes of the semester and I had mine in my bank 2 days after that.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys

I have booked a double queen room at Ramada hotel for the interview on Feb 20th. If you are a male and looking to share the hotel room, please private message me

Thanks

Can a first year student comment on how first semester went? Most likely attending unecom :))

Can a first year student comment on how first semester went? Most likely attending unecom :))
This is a pretty subjective question. But I will share my experience.
Block 1 focused on Upper Extremity for OCS, our clinical skills course, so we dissected the upper extremity while learning how to perform physical exams on the shoulder, elbow and wrists. We also learned several OMM treatments for the upper extremity. OMK, our medical knowledge course, focused on the basics of immunology, micro, pharmacology and physiology.
Block 2 focused on lower extremity in OCS and a continuation of the basic concepts we learned in block 1 for OMK. It is hard to integrate the 2 courses with the upper and lower extremity, but there were points in the block that it happened.
Block 3 focused on cardiac and respiratory physiology. There was a lot of integration between the two courses as we learned how to perform the physicals exams while also learning what causes murmurs, pneumonias, etc.

Overall, I really enjoyed the first semester. UNE does a very good job of telling you what you need to know before class as well as after. I felt that all of the exams we took were fair and relevant to what had been taught in lecture.

Reactions: 3 users
Just attended an interview on 1/25. I thought it went so well and I was so happy about it. I really hope I get to be part of this great school. Hope to see some of y'all there!

Just attended an interview on 1/25. I thought it went so well and I was so happy about it. I really hope I get to be part of this great school. Hope to see some of y'all there!

Im glad it went well! Can you give me some insight on how it is. Like what kind of questions they ask? I have mine coming soon!

Interview invitation received in email about 3 minutes ago! Complete in August.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im glad it went well! Can you give me some insight on how it is. Like what kind of questions they ask? I have mine coming soon!
Hey, I also interviewed recently. The interview was really relaxed and conversational. You start with a welcome presentation and then depending on when you are scheduled for your interview...you'll go on a tour while you are waiting..or have your interview and then go on a tour later on. The area that you're waiting in has a cafe kind of thing too where you get to eat something for free at whatever time you want. Overall, it was a really great experience! Everyone was very friendly at the school and I really hope to get some good news from them!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I also interviewed recently. The interview was really relaxed and conversational. You start with a welcome presentation and then depending on when you are scheduled for your interview...you'll go on a tour while you are waiting..or have your interview and then go on a tour later on. The area that you're waiting in has a cafe kind of thing too where you get to eat something for free at whatever time you want. Overall, it was a really great experience! Everyone was very friendly at the school and I really hope to get some good news from them!
Thank you so much!

I still cannot decide if I want to live alone or with other people!

Just received an II yesterday but will be declining due to already being accepted elsewhere. Complete in July. Wish this would have come sooner as I was really interested in this school! Good luck to everyone else :)

I was thinking of living alone, but it seems there are no apartment complexes around UNE, only houses. :( The closest apt complex I saw was in Portland.

I was thinking of living alone, but it seems there are no apartment complexes around UNE, only houses. :( The closest apt complex I saw was in Portland.
I had no problem finding a 1 bedroom apartment 5 minutes from campus by calling around using the listings on UNE's website! I'd recommend giving that a try:)

I lived alone for the first 5 months until my s/o could move out here and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I had an easier time managing learning how I needed to study in my own space with the opportunity to go study elsewhere. Plus I didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone when I got hungry at like 2 AM sometimes.

I don't know how to reply to 2 things at once so I'm doing this separately. I would not look for an apartment in the sense of a complex. Those aren't super common in this area at all since a lot of the housing is older. I, and at least one other of my classmates live in apartments built above garages. You can look at the school's off-campus student housing listing (that is how I found mine and I love my landlords and my apartment). Also, a list of housing that 2nd years and first years are leaving will be coming out soon too (the group who should be doing that do know that they should be doing it right now), this should also have some more stand-alone apartment type things as well.

Waitlisted Post-II on 1/17. School really great and the people were so nice so ( would really love to go here). By the email I am not sure if they already filled their spots because it says " We have now transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist". Let me know if any of you all got a similar email, or are they usually filled by this point.

Waitlisted Post-II on 1/17. School really great and the people were so nice so ( would really love to go here). By the email I am not sure if they already filled their spots because it says " We have now transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist". Let me know if any of you all got a similar email, or are they usually filled by this point.

Ah I'm sorry, I also interviewed the same day but have not received a reply. I heard/was under the impression that they already filled their class...but there is still hope! (or at least I am telling myself that haha)

I had gotten a similar email when I was waitlisted last year. Don't give up hope - it's not a no!

Has there been movement on the waitlist this yr?

I thought for some reason that the class wasn't full yet? I remember hearing that during my interview date... maybe I am mistaken? Has anyone from 1/25 heard back?

Just received an interview for 3/06. Complete mid September. Not sure if I will be attending yet...

I have an interview on February 28th. Is it true their class is already filled? I'm thinking its not worth going to the interview then since I already have a deposit down somewhere.

this is probably a dumb question, but to send post interview thank you emails (with the given packet info, someone else is listed as the contact for a particular doctor): are we emailing this contact to then get the doctor's email information, or are we emailing the thank you directly to this contact?

I have an interview on February 28th. Is it true their class is already filled? I'm thinking its not worth going to the interview then since I already have a deposit down somewhere.
I believe it is, atleast from previous posts in this thread.

I’m in the same spot for the same day.

this is probably a dumb question, but to send post interview thank you emails (with the given packet info, someone else is listed as the contact for a particular doctor): are we emailing this contact to then get the doctor's email information, or are we emailing the thank you directly to this contact?
Email the letter to that contact.

The class is filled and they are currently interviewing for waitlist spots at this point.

"We have transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist"

I been waitlisted since Dec, I'm wondering how to express continous interest? I been doing research since graduation so there isn't much to update on.. Any advice would be awesome.

The class is filled and they are currently interviewing for waitlist spots at this point.

"We have transitioned to our waitlist period for the entering class of 2018 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist"

I interviewed 1/25 but never received a wait list, acceptance, or rejection email. I don't think the class is full. If you're picked off the waitlist or added to it and received this e-mail, isn't it possible they just have a preset "waitlist email" they send out to their students?

I was speaking with one of the student tour guides and another student asked if because the facebook accepted student group had ~170 kids in it that the class was already full and she claimed most of those kids are actually 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year students who are on the forum to answer questions, and that the class is not full yet. Perhaps they are nearing that point however and are being selective. Either way, best of luck to everyone! My interview went really well so I hope I hear back positively :)

I interviewed 1/25 but never received a wait list, acceptance, or rejection email. I don't think the class is full. If you're picked off the waitlist or added to it and received this e-mail, isn't it possible they just have a preset "waitlist email" they send out to their students?

I was speaking with one of the student tour guides and another student asked if because the facebook accepted student group had ~170 kids in it that the class was already full and she claimed most of those kids are actually 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year students who are on the forum to answer questions, and that the class is not full yet. Perhaps they are nearing that point however and are being selective. Either way, best of luck to everyone! My interview went really well so I hope I hear back positively :)

Hey we interviewed same day. I heard the same thing in the morning session, so I thought it was not full according to the 1st and 2nd year student there.

Hey we interviewed same day. I heard the same thing in the morning session, so I thought it was not full according to the 1st and 2nd year student there.
Afternoon here, only a couple weeks left for us!

Had anyone who interviewed 01/23 heard back yet?

I wouldn’t bother tbh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I been waitlisted since Dec, I'm wondering how to express continous interest? I been doing research since graduation so there isn't much to update on.. Any advice would be awesome.

Last year I stayed in contact with the person who interviewed me, sent multiple letters of intent and wasn’t pulled off. Nothing you do will likely help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To any accepted or current students, out of curiosity what made you choose une?

Also waitlist today. Interviewed 1/25. Does anyone know what the movement is like?

Also waitlist today. Interviewed 1/25. Does anyone know what the movement is like?

I have heard from past students that half of their graduating class was from the waitlist, so even though it's impossible to predict what the movement will be like from year to year, I would say chances are still good. They rank their waitlist so I do think that sending letters of interest/intent, etc. is helpful. If they have a group of waitlist people to choose from, who are they going to pick - those who've been silent since their waitlist notification or those who have made it clear that UNE is where they want to go? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted today, interviewed 1/25. I'm so sad, even though I know this isn't a rejection, I just thought my interview was flawless and I built it up in my head...

When I toured the school two students told me they were both waitlisted and that if I were to be, I shouldn't worry because there is a lot of movement on the waitlist. Is that true? Should I not worry?

Waitlisted today, interviewed 1/25. I'm so sad, even though I know this isn't a rejection, I just thought my interview was flawless and I built it up in my head...

When I toured the school two students told me they were both waitlisted and that if I were to be, I shouldn't worry because there is a lot of movement on the waitlist. Is that true? Should I not worry?

Don’t feel bad about how you did! They’ve been waitlisting since December because the class is full....it’s all over this thread....even if you were flawless there’s just no more spots. Half of the class will eventually come from the waitlist.

Interview invite for 3/7. Highly debating on going tbh. Does anyone know what the rotations are like? I heard UNE doesn't have set sites so students are all over the place for their different rotations.

Also, is there a way to see what hospitals students are matching at? I saw the pie chart on their website but it's not as specific as other school's.

Last edited: