2017-2018 Stanford University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time to wipe the interview counter?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having some trouble with the conflict of interest here... One of my LOR is from the COO of my start-up, he co-founded the company with me and that qualifies him as a conflict of interest right? Is this something I need to explain? Our business has nothing to do with medicine and wouldn't benefit from me going to medical school.

I'm having some trouble with the conflict of interest here... One of my LOR is from the COO of my start-up, he co-founded the company with me and that qualifies him as a conflict of interest right? Is this something I need to explain? Our business has nothing to do with medicine and wouldn't benefit from me going to medical school.
In this role it sounds like you are technically his boss. In that case, yes I would say there may be a conflict of interest there.

Reactions: 1 user
any opinions on using the optional essay to give a brief update on substantial activities (research presentations and one new shadowing experience)?

Its absolutely okay to do this, simply because of the wording of the question. Some of these optional questions ask about diversity/hardships and then specifically say that not everyone will have to answer it. That would be an example of when not to talk about updates. Stanford is simply asking if there is anything you'd like to add that they haven't asked for. For example, they'd probably appreciate it if you didn't put a presentation under their "publications" question but rather placed it in under the optional question, it seems like that's why they put it there. Good luck!

Anyone else get a SECOND email from adcoms stating that they haven't received the secondary and that the deadline is Oct. 20? I'm applying for KH and they know that, so it's unnerving that they keep sending me reminders.

Anyone else get a SECOND email from adcoms stating that they haven't received the secondary and that the deadline is Oct. 20? I'm applying for KH and they know that, so it's unnerving that they keep sending me reminders.
+1

For this question on the secondary, do acknowledgments count if it's published? Or are they only looking for authorship?

If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed).
Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.

For this question on the secondary, do acknowledgments count if it's published? Or are they only looking for authorship?

If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed).
Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.
Only authorship.

Do they care about legacy at this school?

Do they care about legacy at this school?
I think there is a section asking about it so I would assume it is a consideration. Though I would be inclined to think it's used more as a tie-breaker than an integral part of a candidate's profile, something that would maybe nudge an applicant towards an acceptance if the committee is 50/50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would be appropriate to use the optional essay to provide detail of what you've been up to during your gap years? Doesn't seem like theres another place to put that.

Do you think it would be appropriate to use the optional essay to provide detail of what you've been up to during your gap years? Doesn't seem like theres another place to put that.
Don't you have that info already in your AMCAS application? If so, no need to reiterate if the secondary doesn't specifically ask what you're up to in your gap years.

Don't you have that info already in your AMCAS application? If so, no need to reiterate if the secondary doesn't specifically ask what you're up to in your gap years.
Fair point. Guess I'm just in the habit of writing about it in secondaries because so many other schools ask you to expand on it.

I'm changing my application designation from MSTP to MD-only. Has anyone else done this and do you know if I simply select MD only on the secondary or should I change AMCAS as well? I have called and emailed admissions, so if no one here knows, I will update when I find out. It sounds like it could take a while.

I'm changing my application designation from MSTP to MD-only. Has anyone else done this and do you know if I simply select MD only on the secondary or should I change AMCAS as well? I have called and emailed admissions, so if no one here knows, I will update when I find out. It sounds like it could take a while.
i have no clue.
but while people are posting updates, i received an email this weekend about being rejected for mstp (i was surprised about the rapid turn-around since i submitted my secondary only like a week prior)
still under md consideration but looks like i am probably out of the running for stanford. best of luck to everyone else :)

i have no clue.
but while people are posting updates, i received an email this weekend about being rejected for mstp (i was surprised about the rapid turn-around since i submitted my secondary only like a week prior)
still under md consideration but looks like i am probably out of the running for stanford. best of luck to everyone else :)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd be an auto-reject for MSTP at this point. I'm not a particularly strong candidate regardless, but I hope they look kindly upon engineers.

i have no clue.

This also might be helpful for you as you aren't going into MD-only late in the game.

This also might be helpful for you as you aren't going into MD-only late in the game.

true. but they know that most mstp applicants will prefer every mstp offer over an md only offer.
my impression is that my chances at stanford are already shot because of this.

true. but they know that most mstp applicants will prefer every mstp offer over an md only offer.
my impression is that my chances at stanford are already shot because of this.

This is a totally random memory, but I read a thread on the "help me choose between" forum when someone was rejected from Stanford MSTP but got in MD only and was choosing between that option and going to another MSTP program elsewhere. So it has certainly happened before. I hope you get an interview!

Is the first question supposed to be a diversity or adversity question? Their optional essay sounds more like the typical diversity question (ie what do you offer to the class). Feeling uncertain about my response right now

Anyone know the difference between "letter sent to Stanford" and "letter received by Stanford" and how long the lag time between the two should be. It's been a week and I'm not sure if I should email admissions.

Anyone know the difference between "letter sent to Stanford" and "letter received by Stanford" and how long the lag time between the two should be. It's been a week and I'm not sure if I should email admissions.

Mine took two days - could have been longer, but the portal shows two

Have all your letters been sent? Mine were all received the day after my last letter was sent, even though the other letters were marked sent much earlier

Mine all have, so I guess I'll shoot them an email and see whats up

Is the "most likely practice scenario" space a time to talk about specialities you're interested in? Or only like community based vs academic vs research type of thing?

For those who have received interviews, how long after you received the "application compete" e-mail did you get the invite?

II this morning! So excited. I was complete August 21.

Reactions: 3 users
II!! Complete 8/11 and losing my mind with excitement.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Is it common for Stanford to email on weekends?

Congrats to everyone who got an interview and good luck to anyone still waiting! Stanford is an amazing place.

After I paid the secondary app fee and I was waiting for it to be submitted after pressing the button, the browser showed a white screen, and it didn't load to another page. I waited 1 minute, then refreshed, and it said my application has the fee received and the file complete. Is that all, so my file is ready for review since it is complete? And, do we receive an email if the file is complete and ready for review?

After I paid the secondary app fee and I was waiting for it to be submitted after pressing the button, the browser showed a white screen, and it didn't load to another page. I waited 1 minute, then refreshed, and it said my application has the fee received and the file complete. Is that all, so my file is ready for review since it is complete? And, do we receive an email if the file is complete and ready for review?

You good. You should get an email in the next few days.

In this role it sounds like you are technically his boss. In that case, yes I would say there may be a conflict of interest there.
In my opinion it's always better to separate yourself from your rec letter writers as much as possible... professional closeness = great. Personal closeness i.e. starting a business together brings the authenticity of the letter into question.

HOLY **** II 30 min ago. Never would have thought I had a shot lol. LizzyM 77 Complete 7/21. Over the moon.

Reactions: 6 users
Haha you never thought you had a shot with a LizzyM of 77??? Youre a great applicant academically! Congrats.
Thanks, sometimes it seems that the 80+ LizzyM people are a dime a dozen on SDN lol, made me a little nervous bout my own app haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, sometimes it seems that the 80+ LizzyM people are a dime a dozen on SDN lol, made me a little nervous bout my own app haha.

I know how you feel man. My LizzyM is only about 70, so my application is riding primarily on my non-trad EC's. I think the SDN community is a bit self selecting for pretty high quality applicants though. Best of luck to you buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told that most schools - save maybe for MSTP stuff - just block MCATs into group scores. 520+ is basically seen as all the same, since on any given day someone who scores a 520+ is practically indistinguishable from another 520+ from a percentile perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
II this morning!! Blown away by this :oops:

LM ~79, complete 7/24

Reactions: 3 users