2017-2018 Stanford University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

3. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

4. If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed).
Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.

5. Is there anything that we have not specifically asked that you would like for us to know and how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
Stanford Interview Feedback
Interviewed at Stanford? Complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question for any successful applicants here regarding this prompt:

"The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 characters)"

I'm struggling, due to the last sentence: "Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.". The factors that have 100% influenced my goals and preparation for a career in medicine are not at all related to diversity, and have already been talked about, in detail, in my personal statement.

Would it be appropriate to expand upon one of these things, then? For example, I worked 1.5 years at a nursing home, and this was a big factor in making me want to be interested in patient care.

Question for any successful applicants here regarding this prompt:

"The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (2000 characters)"

I'm struggling, due to the last sentence: "Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.". The factors that have 100% influenced my goals and preparation for a career in medicine are not at all related to diversity, and have already been talked about, in detail, in my personal statement.

Would it be appropriate to expand upon one of these things, then? For example, I worked 1.5 years at a nursing home, and this was a big factor in making me want to be interested in patient care.
I would focus on the part that asks how it prepared you for medicine rather how it influenced your decision if it didn't have any influence.

Also, is this prompt from this year's secondary or from last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current Stanford students on this thread? I am interested in learning about housing options for married couples (with animals). I'm planning to apply and am not a particularly competitive applicant, but I am a bit nervous about how expensive housing is in that area and even 15 to 30 minutes outside of Palo Alto.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any current Stanford students on this thread? I am interested in learning about housing options for married couples (with animals). I'm planning to apply and am not a particularly competitive applicant, but I am a bit nervous about how expensive housing is in that area and even 15 to 30 minutes outside of Palo Alto.

Stanford offers housing on campus for med students with families which makes it significantly less expensive. I'd focus more on your application if you're concerned about being a less competitive applicant. If you get in, Stanford will take good care of you!

Heads up that there might be some changes to the Stanford Interview this year. As you know, they tweaked their interview 2 cycles ago ...

Stanford offers housing on campus for med students with families which makes it significantly less expensive. I'd focus more on your application if you're concerned about being a less competitive applicant. If you get in, Stanford will take good care of you!

I will inform my husband so he feels a bit better about it. Thanks!

1. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

2. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

3. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

4. If you have peer-reviewed publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, please complete a citation for each of your publications in the space below using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication (e.g., searchable on PubMed).
Please do not include abstract, conference, or unpublished papers.

5. Is there anything that we have not specifically asked that you would like for us to know and how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Just got a 401 Error when I hit submit on my payment info. Not sure whether to try again or assume it went through :confused:

And now a payment confirmation email but the application still says "no payment" and won't let me submit. Huh. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah same here. I checked my credit card statement and the charge is on there. But Stanford's site still says I didn't pay and won't let me submit.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah same here. I checked my credit card statement and the charge is on there. But Stanford's site still says I didn't pay and won't let me submit.
Same

Reactions: 1 users

+4. I had seen you guys have issues but did it anyways. I did, however, receive a receipt (in my junk box) of payment. So there must be a glitch they need to fix so the site recognizes we've paid and let's us submit. As it's Saturday I guess we can only wait to hear from them Monday. I'm sure many have had the same issue and have expressed their concerns with the admissions office. Kind of frustrating, but not uncommon for secondary applications to be glitchy, unfortunately!

question, so I just logged on today and have not submitted yet, but on my "application status" tab it says my letters have been received, but next to each one it says "incomplete." will this change when I submit my app or is something wrong with all my letters?

question, so I just logged on today and have not submitted yet, but on my "application status" tab it says my letters have been received, but next to each one it says "incomplete." will this change when I submit my app or is something wrong with all my letters?
+1 here.

Also, what are y'all thinking to write about for the optional final question?

Last edited:
No secondary, verified 6/15. Anybody else in my boat?

Reactions: 5 users
so what about the first prompt where it asks to write about how socioeconomics status/race etc. has affected your life/academic career. If it hasn't in any way shape or form do we leave it blank? Should I write about other obstacles I've had not related to my race?

Any current stanford students want to give some insight into the curriculum?

I've submitted ten secondaries, Duke included, but for some reason the Stanford secondary has me stumped right now. In particular the first and last prompt.

I was thinking to put my diversity essay in response to #1, though as a white male this is broadly defined diversity, talking about my diversity of experience. I'm not sure if I have anything for #5 and I'm tempted to leave it blank.

However, upon further thought, I wonder if I should instead use my adversity essay for #1 as it asks about challenging factors in background of life experience and instead use diversity for #5.

Thoughts? Do you think #5 is truly optional?

Anyone able to submit yet? Tried again this morning, but it still claims I haven't paid despite the receipt I received via email. I emailed admissions.

+1 here.

Also, what are y'all thinking to write about for the optional final question?
oddly enough, they changed to "complete" today - and I have not submitted my application yet (mainly because of the payment issue thing).

They sent out an email saying they're aware of the payment issue and are working on fixing it.

Just commenting to get on this thread. Good luck to everyone applying!

They finally fixed the payment issue, at least for me. Submitted

Still no secondary here

Last edited:
oh yeah I just logged on and they fixed the payment thing and was able to submit; they didn't contact me saying it was fixed so I would just log on and see once or twice a day if ur still having problems

For the scholarly endeavors question, I am assuming that we should put in ALL authors of the publication? The publication I am listed as a co-author on has close to 20 authors.

Just to provide an update on secondary statuses, I was verified 7/11 and received my secondary this morning (7/13)

No secondary yet (MSTP) . AMCAS verified on 6/13.

For the scholarly endeavors question, I am assuming that we should put in ALL authors of the publication? The publication I am listed as a co-author on has close to 20 authors.

Just FYI, I emailed the admissions committee and they do want ALL authors.

I am able to login to the secondary. But no email for secondary yet...

Who else is still waiting on the regular MD secondary email? I was verified 6/2 and still nothing. As other users mentioned, it appears that anyone can register on the site with their AMCAS ID; however, it also says "This site will ONLY be accessible to you once you have been contacted by the Office of MD Admissions." which makes it seem like you should have the email from them before registering.

Who else is still waiting on the regular MD secondary email? I was verified 6/2 and still nothing. As other users mentioned, it appears that anyone can register on the site with their AMCAS ID; however, it also says "This site will ONLY be accessible to you once you have been contacted by the Office of MD Admissions." which makes it seem like you should have the email from them before registering.

I'm still waiting :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay... Really weird. There must be some technical difficulties occurring. I never received an email invitation but was able to make an account and access the secondary. I think this indicates that an invitation was sent but I did not receive it... (?)

Check the portal guys!

Last edited: