2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also to participate both in the ACGME and AOA would i need to take the USMLE and COMLEX (I wanna pursue Peds btw)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off T1 a few days ago. OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Since there will only be one match by 2020, is that going to put me at a disadvantage being a D.O. Also why is there a low AOA? Is it because most go into ACGME? Also does MSUCOM use the NRMP or something else?
1. There's been plenty of debate back and forth on this topic. I personally see the merger as a good thing that will help (slowly) even the playing field and standardize graduate medical education.
2. Low AOA participation is mostly because a lot of programs are already transferring over to the ACGME match so the number of available spots in the DO match is shrinking.
3. NRMP is for the ACGME match and NMS is for DO match. So the school itself doesn't 'use NRMP'; students decide which matching service to sign up for based on which match they're applying to. Most likely it will be all NRMP in 2020.

Also I was looking at the AOA and ACGME residency match lists and I realized most go into MI/Midwest regions. When I look at this list are these usually the only hospitals interested in MSUCOM students or does it depend on where we apply. I'm getting married soon and my fiance lives in NY so ideally my choice in residency would be in NY. Looking at these lists I became a little demoralized and now am worried if I'd ever be able to go to NY. Can you shed more light on that? http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/Match Data/2017 ACGME Match.pdf and http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/Match Data/2017 AOA Match.pdf
Where students go is mostly based on geographic ties. We have a lot of programs in Michigan, and a lot of students are from Michigan, so most people stay here. If you can demonstrate a link to the area (like having a wife in NY) that will make programs a lot more likely to interview you. Other areas of the country are also not as DO friendly. This depends a lot on the specialty you are applying to as well. If you are going to MSUCOM and are remain interested in NY programs I would see where DOs from NY programs are matching to help inform your list of where to apply (when looking for residencies it's a good sign when you see that programs have at least a couple DOs). This is pretty far in your future at this point, though!

Also to participate both in the ACGME and AOA would i need to take the USMLE and COMLEX (I wanna pursue Peds btw)
As a blanket rule, no -- it's program specific for whether or not MD programs will accept COMLEX. I recommend doing both exams, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call! Interviewed 1/24 and waitlisted 2/9. IS applicant

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well! Interviewed 1/24, T1 waitlist 2/8.

Does anyone have an idea of how many applicants might be within each tier of the waiting list?

Does anyone have an idea of how many applicants might be within each tier of the waiting list?
My guess is 100 max per tier. Last year about 160 got in from the waitlist and they said it was through half of tier 2.

My guess is 100 max per tier. Last year about 160 got in from the waitlist and they said it was through half of tier 2.
Being realistic, If I'm interviewing tomorrow, is there any chance of getting in this cycle? or am I going to be placed at the end of the waitlist and get a sad email in a few weeks? I don't know how any of this stuff works really. Simply, do I have a chance?

Being realistic, If I'm interviewing tomorrow, is there any chance of getting in this cycle? or am I going to be placed at the end of the waitlist and get a sad email in a few weeks? I don't know how any of this stuff works really. Simply, do I have a chance?
If they like you and it is full, being put on T1 is still very promising in my eyes. Movement is starting to pick up now and peaks out in April/May. There is no good reason to discourage yourself yet.

If they like you and it is full, being put on T1 is still very promising in my eyes. Movement is starting to pick up now and peaks out in April/May. There is no good reason to discourage yourself yet.
Thanks, I appreciate your responses! Also, what does LM 63 in your signature mean? and do you list your science or overall GPA first?

Thanks, I appreciate your responses! Also, what does LM 63 in your signature mean? and do you list your science or overall GPA first?
Lizzy M score. It's a made up score that premeds here who had too much time decided was a useful measure of how good you are. Overall first, then science.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any chance you could speak to the size of the Canadian WL? I was put on Tier 1 in November (Interviewed on 10/18). I was told they WL a bunch of Canadians and then select the class towards the end...not sure if that's true or not.

Any chance you could speak to the size of the Canadian WL? I was put on Tier 1 in November (Interviewed on 10/18). I was told they WL a bunch of Canadians and then select the class towards the end...not sure if that's true or not.
I couldn't speak to the size, but I can tell you this. That waitlist moves, but less than the US. Because there are designated Canadian seats, you need Canadian movement to fill. While watching the last cycle, I noticed a few Canadians not make it off of T1. There were some that did, but its chances aren't nearly as high as the US T1.

Just got my rejection after 8 months. Curious if they even looked at my ****ing application.

Edit* - not that I care, but still.

Just got my rejection after 8 months. Curious if they even looked at my ****ing application.

Edit* - not that I care, but still.
They did. They rejected along the way, and Dr. Ruger told me a few weeks ago if you have not been rejected you were still in the running and being compared to the rest of the applicant pool. I know it's frustrating, that happened to me as well on my first go around with MSUCOM.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed 3/2 and WL tier 3 today..which honestly I didn’t even know existed. Anyone have any insight considering that they only accept 50% of tier 2? I’m a little confused :/

I interviewed 3/2 and WL tier 3 today..which honestly I didn’t even know existed. Anyone have any insight considering that they only accept 50% of tier 2? I’m a little confused :/
Chances are that T1&2 are filled...so now they're filling up T3...T1 WL is moving now. As mentioned before by other people on this thread, last year, all of T1 and half of T2 moved last year (US WL). Similar thing happened the year before. So you probably might want to start preparing for the worst case scenario because that seems more likely, given your position on the WL.

Does anyone know if the wait-lists are first come first serve? Or are they ranked?

Does anyone know if the wait-lists are first come first serve? Or are they ranked?
I believe they must be loosely ranked. According to previous posts, people who interviewed later were accepted sooner.

So I interviewed on 3/20 and feel like there’s no chance in hell im going to get in this cycle... not because I interviewed poorly, I just feel as if the only thing open is the T3 waitlist - if I can even make it on that.

Last edited:
No, I interviewed in January and previous posts from individuals that interviewed in February were accepted sooner than I was.

Well then it seems like they rank the list...but your ranking is constantly re-evaluated

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out PAD/PID? I still haven’t received mine.

Hello! So I'm on the waitlist tier 2 at msucom... which means if I do get off the waitlist, it will probably be late may. I know that if I do get off the waitlist, I will probably end up in Macomb. I am not against it, but I just don't know if I will like it there.

My question is that if I decide that I would like to transfer to DMC say after spending a few weeks at Macomb, can I request to transfer? Does anyone know if that likelihood is probable? I heard that some students on the waitlist end up at their desired location after the fall semester.

Hello! So I'm on the waitlist tier 2 at msucom... which means if I do get off the waitlist, it will probably be late may. I know that if I do get off the waitlist, I will probably end up in Macomb. I am not against it, but I just don't know if I will like it there.

My question is that if I decide that I would like to transfer to DMC say after spending a few weeks at Macomb, can I request to transfer? Does anyone know if that likelihood is probable? I heard that some students on the waitlist end up at their desired location after the fall semester.
A few weeks then transferring? Likely not. There is already a WL for DMC and if someone drops to go to another school a few weeks in, they'll pull from the WL. At the semester? Probability goes way up.

A few weeks then transferring? Likely not. There is already a WL for DMC and if someone drops to go to another school a few weeks in, they'll pull from the WL. At the semester? Probability goes way up.

Thank you for your response. Yes I know I wouldn't be able to transfer during the middle of the semester but I am asking if it's likely after the first or second semester. I know it's all hypotheticals at this point.

Thank you for your response. Yes I know I wouldn't be able to transfer during the middle of the semester but I am asking if it's likely after the first or second semester. I know it's all hypotheticals at this point.
Between semesters is doable. You wrote a few weeks in your original post.

Between semesters is doable. You wrote a few weeks in your original post.
Wait, so you are able to switch between campuses in between semesters? Do Macomb and Detroit still have to be kept at 50 students each or is there a little leeway with that?

Off topic but if you don't mind answering.. when did you find out you were on WL 2 and when did you interview?

Wait, so you are able to switch between campuses in between semesters? Do Macomb and Detroit still have to be kept at 50 students each or is there a little leeway with that?
I'm not certain on the exact logistics of everything, but I have heard from current students that some people are able to switch sites after the summer. I think the big kicker is having the right number of students in each anatomy lab, that's why it's allowed after the summer. After that, most classes aren't mandatory attendance so the number of students isn't as much of an issue. Not sure how stingy they are about the exact numbers, though.

Unfortunately at all three sites, you'll lose students after summer and also after fall. And I know 1-2 people who switched between those semesters.

Does anyone know if they’re still giving out PAD/PID? I still haven’t received mine.
I haven't got mine either! I am canadian tho and haven't submitted my i20 info so I think that's why.

Hi everyone! I want to preface this post by stating that it is related to the sexual abuse scandal. I love MSU. I went there for undergrad and would love to go there for med school (am currently on the tier 1 WL), and I initially struggled with posting on this thread about the situation because I don’t want it to start inappropriate posts. However, the news that came out today about ex-Dean Strampel was pretty unsettling. Does anyone know if the school plans to address this with prospective students or at least outline their plan to prevent a situation like this from happening again? Putting myself in the shoes of the four students that came forward, I can’t imagine feeling comfortable as a student reporting misogynistic comments and inappropriate actions against the dean. Had it not been for the whole Nassar investigation, I assume such complaints against the dean would have likely fallen on deaf ears (given actions much worse had). Reporting such actions comes with a tremendous risk, and I imagine reporting allegations as a student against the dean would feel like committing career suicide. Despite the management shake-ups, investigations, etc., have they created a plan to ensure a situation like this won’t happen again in the future? The situation was not mentioned during my interview day, and while I don’t think it necessarily should have been, the fact that Strampel is more involved and med students were victims, I think it’s important for the school to address how the upper-management culture has changed (not just positional changes, but the actual cultural and policy changes) to prospective students. I’m not sure if current MSU-COM students check this thread, but I would love to hear their thoughts. I also would like to say that while this happened at MSU, sexual harassment may very well be going on at other med schools and I think it’s important for any student, current or future, to be able to openly talk about it and know the appropriate actions to take.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! I want to preface this post by stating that it is related to the sexual abuse scandal. I love MSU. I went there for undergrad and would love to go there for med school (am currently on the tier 1 WL), and I initially struggled with posting on this thread about the situation because I don’t want it to start inappropriate posts. However, the news that came out today about ex-Dean Strampel was pretty unsettling. Does anyone know if the school plans to address this with prospective students or at least outline their plan to prevent a situation like this from happening again? Putting myself in the shoes of the four students that came forward, I can’t imagine feeling comfortable as a student reporting misogynistic comments and inappropriate actions against the dean. Who would you even report it to? Had it not been for the whole Nasser investigation, I assume such complaints against the dean would have likely fallen on deaf ears (given actions much worse were). Needless to say, reporting such actions come with a tremendous risk, and I imagine reporting such allegations as a student against the dean would feel like committing career suicide. Despite the management shake-ups, investigations, etc., have they created a plan to ensure a situation like this won’t happen again in the future? The situation was not mentioned during my interview day, and while I don’t think it necessarily should have been, the fact that Strampel is more involved and med students were victims, I think it’s important for the school to address how the upper-management culture has changed (not just positional changes, but the actual cultural and policy changes) to prospective students. I’m not sure if current MSU-COM students check this thread, but I would love to hear their thoughts. I also would like to say that while this happened at MSU, sexual harassment may very well be going on at other med schools and I think it’s important for any student, current or future, to be able to openly talk about it and know the appropriate actions to take.

The school started a task force comprised of faculty and students to address and combat these issues, and IIRC there will be workshops addressing abuse, sexual assault awareness, etc. for 2022's orientation. Our new dean has had several town halls to hear the concerns of students. We also got a presentation/Q&A from MSU Police and SAP about what to do if you're ever in such a situation. Know that there will definitely be people in your class and mine who will help you. I definitely would hope and expect that nothing will fall on deaf ears after what transpired.

Reactions: 7 users
The school started a task force comprised of faculty and students to address and combat these issues, and IIRC there will be workshops addressing abuse, sexual assault awareness, etc. for 2022's orientation. Our new dean has had several town halls to hear the concerns of students. We also got a presentation/Q&A from MSU Police and SAP about what to do if you're ever in such a situation. Know that there will definitely be people in your class and mine who will help you. I definitely would hope and expect that nothing will fall on deaf ears after what transpired.
Thanks for such a thoughtful and thorough response. I hope my previous post didn’t seem like I assumed MSU was doing nothing other than shaking up personnel, because I definitely do not think that, I just hadn’t heard what exactly they were implementing. It sounds like they are really doing everything they can to make the program even better and stronger following a bad situation and I think having such a high level of student involvement is great. Thank you again for the response!

Any movement for WL 2 people or anyone else from the 3/2 interview group hear back? Hate to be asking again, but I'd love to know where everyone is at in the waiting club.. thanks! :)

Any movement for WL 2 people or anyone else from the 3/2 interview group hear back? Hate to be asking again, but I'd love to know where everyone is at in the waiting club.. thanks! :)
Sameeeee, has anyone from T2 waitlist has been accepted?

For those accepted awhile ago, how long did it take to receive your PID/PAN? And how did you receive it mail or email?

For those accepted awhile ago, how long did it take to receive your PID/PAN? And how did you receive it mail or email?

If you were accepted a while ago, they started sending the PID/PAN out a couple of weeks ago. Check your application page and see if you have it in there. I received an email about it and logged in and found it.

Sorry to go off-topic, but do you know what the estimated COA for Canadians is at MSUCOM? I was looking at this http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Documents/15-16 Med Budgets-OM- Canadian.pdf and it looks like it's 160k just for 1st year? Is this accurate, if so how do you plan on financing that (I'm in a similar position myself, but the COA isn't as high)

For tuition after the scholarship, I've calculated it will be around OMS1 $68000 US, OMS2 $39000 US, OMS3 $98000 US, OMS4 $39000 US. (http://com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/17-18 Med Budgets-OM.pdf based on this using out of state -$20 000)

I think that Canadian link is out of date.