2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have received your application and we want to thank you for your interest in Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCU-COM).

Upon reviewing your file we are unable, at this time, to offer you an invitation to complete our secondary application. So that you might better understand the competitiveness of our program we are providing the average profile for an accepted student in the 2017 application cycle:

MCAT average 29 / MCAT15 506GPA science average of 3.60

Should your academic profile become more competitive, please revise your information through AACOMAS and re-submit to KCU-COM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I think it may have been your cGPA. They have strict cutoffs above 3.25, which is the highest I've seen for a school.

Don't get discouraged. Looking at your signature, your stats are great overall.

Members don't see this ad.

I just tried to login using my email and set password after being stuck on the loading screen; unfortunately, the trick that you guys mentioned did not work for me. I guess I will be contacting the admissions office on Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it may have been your cGPA. They have strict cutoffs above 3.25, which is the highest I've seen for a school.

Yeah I'm positive it is that. Just tough because of my last 90 credits. Also tough because with grade replacement i would have a 3.65 for both cGPA and sGPA

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the encouragement though!

I can't even login into my application. . .

I submitted primary and received an email stating thanks for your interest and here's where you can read more. So I guess I'll be waiting till Monday at this point at a minimum to hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received secondary yesterday but haven't been able to create an account... anyone else having the same issue?

Received secondary yesterday but haven't been able to create an account... anyone else having the same issue?
I think someone said this before. If you're getting that infinite loading screen (that's what I got), let it sit for a second and then exit out. Then go and log into the account that you just "made." It worked for me, just submitted.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really hoping I get a leg up here because while my MCAT score sucks I have a moderate GPA and 9 years medical experience worth of ECs and 3 LOR two from physicians I've worked with, one MD and one DO. The DO actually went to this particular medical school as well. But the more time I spend inside the application process as a whole the more it feels like a complete and utter crap shoot.

I'm really hoping I get a leg up here because while my MCAT score sucks I have a moderate GPA and 9 years medical experience worth of ECs and 3 LOR two from physicians I've worked with, one MD and one DO. The DO actually went to this particular medical school as well. But the more time I spend inside the application process as a whole the more it feels like a complete and utter crap shoot.
As long as your MCAT score is 501 or above, you should be fine.

COM Requirements

ughh it still is not working. I am honestly getting frustrated. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I will just have to call them :( Of course they are one of my favorites. It is "Silent Planet" Logo

Last edited:
Finally got the secondary yesterday!

For anyone with pubs, Did you just put the name of the article in the secondary or put the full citation in the first part? My heart says put the title and journal but my brain says copy the massive citation in there. Also @AlteredScale , what is the research scene like at KCUMB? I don't see much on their website so maybe not. Also do you know anyone in the Global Health track? Any idea how they like it?

How unusual! Not many people know of that band! Talk about deep lyrics, am I right?

Absolutely! Garrett actual has a masters in psych I believe and uses that knowledge in creating the lyrics. We actually saw them perform in Lawrence Kansas which was great.

For anyone with pubs, Did you just put the name of the article in the secondary or put the full citation in the first part? My heart says put the title and journal but my brain says copy the massive citation in there. Also @AlteredScale , what is the research scene like at KCUMB? I don't see much on their website so maybe not. Also do you know anyone in the Global Health track? Any idea how they like it?

I would just put the title and the PMCID if it is indexed already.

The research here is focused on basic science work. We have an active investigator that we recruited from Rush Medical Center and her stuff is pretty biochemistry heavy but so are the other PIs. Another PI just won an R15 NIH grant for his work for the next few ears.

The anatomy fellows also do some pretty interesting cadaveric work and work with ortho pods and other docs so sometimes you can work with them as well.

Research here once you get started. A lot of students also do research at UMKC and KU.

The global health track is something you sign up for end of first semester as an M1. It gives you opportunities to go on trips and I believe there is a requirement to do international work during your clinical year and also do a concurrent research project.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the secondary:interview:accepted ratio is for KCU?

@AlteredScale Not sure if you've discussed this before and can't remember what year you're in, but can you discuss quality of rotations?

KCU is one of my top choices, and I saw on the website they have a lot of sites scattered all over the place for rotations. The website didn't give much info except for listing the places, though. I know you mentioned it's about a 50/50 split between those who stay in the area and those who go away, but I guess what I'm asking is, either way, overall, what is the general quality of training?

Does anyone know what the secondary:interview:accepted ratio is for KCU?

A few years back in my cycle it was 60-75% acceptance from the interview. They are much harsher when it comes between secondary to interview though I think it's become a tad bit easier due to the Joplin campus opening up.

@AlteredScale Not sure if you've discussed this before and can't remember what year you're in, but can you discuss quality of rotations?

KCU is one of my top choices, and I saw on the website they have a lot of sites scattered all over the place for rotations. The website didn't give much info except for listing the places, though. I know you mentioned it's about a 50/50 split between those who stay in the area and those who go away, but I guess what I'm asking is, either way, overall, what is the general quality of training?

The rotations right now are a mixture imo. What is known right now is that in many of the sites including KC as well as the smaller MO and KS sites it will strictly be preceptor based. It's unopposed meaning no residents to "get in the way" of you being first assist on a surgery but you also lack some pretty important things that come with GME, things that most other MD medical students will get going to a bigger teaching hospital with more staff that are hired through the medical school to ensure you get specific training in certain things.

The other sites in Ohio, Michigan, Arkansas, FL are a part of other DO programs which a much more extensive residency institution than KCUs. KCU does have Its own residencies but many of them aren't in KC, they are in Joplin (hence why I say KCU Joplin is going to be much stronger clinically).

I think the training in general in KC will be as good as you want it to be. Stand to the side and I'm sure your preceptor will probably ignore you. You can avoid this potential altogether by going elsewhere for rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
The rotations right now are a mixture imo. What is known right now is that in many of the sites including KC as well as the smaller MO and KS sites it will strictly be preceptor based. It's unopposed meaning no residents to "get in the way" of you being first assist on a surgery but you also lack some pretty important things that come with GME, things that most other MD medical students will get going to a bigger teaching hospital with more staff that are hired through the medical school to ensure you get specific training in certain things.

The other sites in Ohio, Michigan, Arkansas, FL are a part of other DO programs which a much more extensive residency institution than KCUs. KCU does have Its own residencies but many of them aren't in KC, they are in Joplin (hence why I say KCU Joplin is going to be much stronger clinically).

I think the training in general in KC will be as good as you want it to be. Stand to the side and I'm sure your preceptor will probably ignore you. You can avoid this potential altogether by going elsewhere for rotations.

Hm, definitely good to know. Thanks for the detailed response! I would certainly want to minimize my preceptor-based rotations, so this is all good to know.

Hm, definitely good to know. Thanks for the detailed response! I would certainly want to minimize my preceptor-based rotations, so this is all good to know.

Preceptor vs wards based each have their pros and cons. Either way I think the training is what you'll make out of it!

Preceptor vs wards based each have their pros and cons. Either way I think the training is what you'll make out of it!

Agreed! My only fear of preceptor-based rotations are that they'll just turn into "glorified shadowing", to quote others.

I contacted the admissions department regarding the loading screen not resolving when trying to create an account for the secondary application. The representative I spoke with told me that they are aware of the issue, multiple students are encountering it, and that it should be resolved sometime today. He advised I try tonight or tomorrow, but also advised that I try an alternate computer and web browser in the meantime.

Anyone here verified on AACOMAS on the first day and not receive a secondary from KCU yet?

Secondary submitted! I'm excited to see where this takes me.

Don't usually like to ask for help on these, but did anyone talk about this application process for the "prioritize multiple things" essay? To me, this has easily been one of the most challenging time do my life balancing with a full time job also. Do you think it is tacky to write about this process as they usually say avoid academics/app process related topics?

Don't usually like to ask for help on these, but did anyone talk about this application process for the "prioritize multiple things" essay? To me, this has easily been one of the most challenging time do my life balancing with a full time job also. Do you think it is tacky to write about this process as they usually say avoid academics/app process related topics?

As long as your other responses aren't both related to academics, I'd say that's perfectly fine to write about! But if your other answers are about academics, I'd try to write about something outside of your career.

I didn't talk about the application process, but I did talk about a school semester where I struggled balancing all of my obligations. Like the above says, I think you're fine as long as you don't make academics the focus of your other responses.

Also, discussing a full-time job will be more or less "unique" than simply discussing a difficult semester, so I'd say go for it!

Yeah I think I will. Between job, secondary/mcat, volunteering, summer business, it's been challenging. Worst case, 1 off essay hopefully won't break me.

Thanks for the answers all!

Yeah I think I will. Between job, secondary/mcat, volunteering, summer business, it's been challenging. Worst case, 1 off essay hopefully won't break me.

Thanks for the answers all!

Be honest, but academics is probably the most boring topic you can talk about. They probably get 4K+ applications and I bet you a large majority of them talk about managing school with other stuff.

I mentioned I had a semester with a crap ton of work and a full time job and relationship and etc etc. but my other essays didn't mention academics at all

Check your junk mail. That is where mine was.
I checked my spam, trash, everything and couldn't find it. And it turns out that they did send me a secondary already so it was a good thing I called to request another one. I feel like if it weren't for you, I would have continued to wait for mine for another week. Thank you!

I checked my spam, trash, everything and couldn't find it. And it turns out that they did send me a secondary already so it was a good thing I called to request another one. I feel like if it weren't for you, I would have continued to wait for mine for another week. Thank you!

When did you submit your primary? I might need to call them too

Has anybody had an issue with paying the secondary fee?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Hello I want to apply to this school however my MD letter wont be in until late September at the earliest. Would this be detrimental?

I could just go shadow a doc and get a generic "I shadowed here" letter to check off the requirement to get it in earlier

I type in all of my information and hit "create account" and then just get the loading circle animation. I've tried multiple browsers and computers and still cannot seem to get it to work. I contacted them, and they said to send them a screenshot, which I did - still waiting to hear back

Have you heard anything back from them?

Anyone else get a reminder email to complete their secondary? Still haven't gotten to it but hopefully I'll submit it this week!

Hello I want to apply to this school however my MD letter wont be in until late September at the earliest. Would this be detrimental?

I could just go shadow a doc and get a generic "I shadowed here" letter to check off the requirement to get it in earlier
You should be fine, the DO cycle is much longer and I think general advice is to just try and be complete by Thanksgiving. Late September should be okay.