2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess programs sending invites to high scores first , then AMG, then people with good resume and publications, kind of mix

***ALSO , I guess some of the posted interviews in this forum are not real!!! ***

I dreamed that I was in mortal kombat, literally on the road to a zone of danger, with a gorilla, and subsequently did not match into heme/onc fellowship. Dangling modifiers and falsifying interviews soothe me.

Members don't see this ad.

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18* 7/19*
Yale: 7/20***, 7/19
UT Southwestern: 7/20***
Rutgers: 7/24 (External)***, 7/24***
University of Colorado: (7/25)*
Montefiore: (7/23)*
Michigan: 7/24, 7/24
Jefferson: 7/27***
Loma Linda***
University of Maryland: 7/20***
Orlando Health: 7/27*
Vanderbilt: 7/27*, 7/27***
University of Florida: 7/28*

Rejections
University of North Carolina: 7/18***
Medical College of Georgia (Augusta) 7/17

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Invitations
Loma Linda***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

You doing IM or Rad onc?

Attachments

• IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 79
How's the interview season for IMG I see people posting a lot of interviews but this season has been quiet so far. Are these interviews for real

Last edited:
I can personally vouch for Yale and Michigan IVs being real. I'm a US grad, no insider connections to either program

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an IMG with no visa restriction. I have absolutely no contacts, and personally no motivation to falsify information.

Am I missing something? Why would people make up interviews? Also the programs offering invites now seem to correlate with the times they offered interviews last year.

Am I missing something? Why would people make up interviews? Also the programs offering invites now seem to correlate with the times they offered interviews last year.

People post false information similar to the previous years (they also check previous years to make it look real)
I personally know a program director who said they just statred reviewing yesterday (7/27). But here sombody posted that got IV last week. Somebody who posted more than 700 times in different forums in the past 5 years!

People post false information similar to the previous years (they also check previous years to make it look real)
I personally know a program director who said they just statred reviewing yesterday (7/27). But here sombody posted that got IV last week. Somebody who posted more than 700 times in different forums in the past 5 years!
That's bad :( so what interviews are real interviews? How do we know

@whoknows2012
Did you apply this year? Seems like you post every where
Seems like I post everywhere? What does that mean.

I applied last yr am a current first yr fellow and can verify that the first comment you made (about In which order applicants are chosen for IV) that I replied to was false and the second comment (about people posting fake interviews) which I understand you have your n=1 anecdote is also likely false and even if true is not a big problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like I post everywhere? What does that mean.

I applied last yr am a current first yr fellow and can verify that the first comment you made (about In which order applicants are chosen for IV) that I replied to was false and the second comment (about people posting fake interviews) which I understand you have your n=1 anecdote is also likely false and even if true is not a big problem.
Don't understand why a first year fellow would post here? But anyway, thanks for reply

Don't understand why a first year fellow would post here? But anyway, thanks for reply
To help out. There are plenty of non applicants posting in this thread. Also there is often misinformation being spread which should be corrected and applicants often need help with ranking and have question about programs. All things I can help with

Obviously to offer perspective on the process. But clearly paranoid speculation is preferable?

Reactions: 2 users
So I suppose you don't want an attending who used to be on a fellowship selection committee posting either?

Good to know. Makes the next few months easier for me.

Carry on with the conspiracy theories though. #covfefe

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The thread is just weird this year

Yep. It all started off by not being call "THE OFFICIAL 2017-2018 HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION" thread like all the past years.
That's because I figured if you all wanted one, you'd make it yourselves.

And what you made is...weird.

#covfefe

You doing IM or Rad onc?

I interviewed for both IM and Rad Onc for residency. I was couples matching so I only ended up ranking 2 Rad Onc places above a handful of IM programs with good Heme/Onc opportunities, then the rest below these. Ended up matching at our first IM choice together, and I am happier for this, ended up loving medicine as much as I thought I would.

I am not going to quote or reply to every individual comment about "fake news" IV invites, but I assume IV get sent out in waves, so seeing that you didn't get one for a place that has been posted, I don't think that implies that you wont. I am going to continue to post my invites as they come, despite the negative energy on this thread, and we're only on page 4....

Also, if one more of you pissy little trolls makes an uproar about an IV date being posted, I think we should make them all anonymous postings. Anyways......

Invitations
Loma Linda***
LSU (New Orleans): 7/28*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

I am not going to quote or reply to every individual comment about "fake news" IV invites, but I assume IV get sent out in waves, so seeing that you didn't get one for a place that has been posted, I don't think that implies that you wont. I am going to continue to post my invites as they come, despite the negative energy on this thread, and we're only on page 4....

I didn't mention you posted fake IV, why did you think so???
I posted about fake IVs because people are sending negative energy by posting fake information.

Also, if one more of you pissy little trolls makes an uproar about an IV date being posted, I think we should make them all anonymous postings. Anyways......

Invitations
jefferson: 7/27***
Loma Linda***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
just be helpful as you claim. that`s it. please don't post fake iv

I got East Carolina and LSU interviews today as well. US MD.

Sorry for not copying and pasting the list but I'm doing this from my phone. :)

Also I'm solemnly swear and cross my heart these are real interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
what would guys say is "peak season" for interviews? Ie, which months?

Sorry to piggyback on this question. Do any interviews extend into November? I'm planning a trip to Europe last weekend of October and don't want to fly back to the US for an interview.

Disclaimer for @gutonc (so I don't get an annoyed response from you lol): I looked through the entirety of last year's 2016-2017 application cycle for interview dates and latest I saw were in October. I also looked specifically at programs' websites for interview dates and saw most were in September/October, but some programs did not list dates. One of the residents who interviewed last year told me he had 1-2 interviews in November.

Sorry to piggyback on this question. Do any interviews extend into November? I'm planning a trip to Europe last weekend of October and don't want to fly back to the US for an interview.

Disclaimer for @gutonc (so I don't get an annoyed response from you lol): I looked through the entirety of last year's 2016-2017 application cycle for interview dates and latest I saw were in October. I also looked specifically at programs' websites for interview dates and saw most were in September/October, but some programs did not list dates. One of the residents who interviewed last year told me he had 1-2 interviews in November.
None of the 8 (NYC centric) programs i interviewed at even offered November dates. It's definitely rare in hem/onc. I think some cardiology programs were interviewing in early Nov but certainly the vast majority of interviews are in sept and oct.

Reactions: 1 users

I was also curious as to whether interviews come out in waves or if they just send one batch. I think it was the wake forest website that listed one specific date that they would send invites. I guess it varies from program to program , but it also looks like based on previous years, most programs only had 1-2 dates listed next to them as the days the interview invites were received.

I was also curious as to whether interviews come out in waves or if they just send one batch. I think it was the wake forest website that listed one specific date that they would send invites. I guess it varies from program to program , but it also looks like based on previous years, most programs only had 1-2 dates listed next to them as the days the interview invites were received.

There's a lot of unanswerable questions like these so far in this thread. Obviously no one knows the intricate application review or interview invitation protocols for every program as you already alluded to. Everyone is also freaking out about about when their interview invites will come but it's just far too early in the cycle. The BEST data will be relying on past heme/onc threads of aggregate users rather than the words of n=1, especially those who have been out of the process for some time. Also, be aware that sometimes the data here are outliers (high achievers and FMGs/IMGs) and that only a few of the interviews are posted of the many interviews a program will send out.

Best of luck in the cycle. Trust in your application and get mentors to stick their heads out for you when the cycle is thriving but quiet for you, or at the end when you've made a decision on where you want to train for fellowship.

Reactions: 5 users
There's a lot of unanswerable questions like these so far in this thread. Obviously no one knows the intricate application review or interview invitation protocols for every program as you already alluded to. Everyone is also freaking out about about when their interview invites will come but it's just far too early in the cycle. The BEST data will be relying on past heme/onc threads of aggregate users rather than the words of n=1, especially those who have been out of the process for some time. Also, be aware that sometimes the data here are outliers (high achievers and FMGs/IMGs) and that only a few of the interviews are posted of the many interviews a program will send out.

Best of luck in the cycle. Trust in your application and get mentors to stick their heads out for you when the cycle is thriving but quiet for you, or at the end when you've made a decision on where you want to train for fellowship.
the best post so far !

I am a cheif fellow at one of the programs that interviews came from mentioned above.
We already have dates setup for interviewing people and tasks assigned.
This forum helped me loads when applying so i keep in touch and check back periodically to see if some one needs help.
At this time people need positivity not negativity.
Good luck with the Interviews, hope you all match at your preffered places, even if you dont match its not the end of the world. Life goes on, if you yearn for it strongly enough you will get it.

I am a cheif fellow at one of the programs that interviews came from mentioned above.
This forum helped me loads when applying so i keep in touch and check back periodically to see if some one needs help.
Good luck with the Interviews, hope you all match at your preffered places, even if you dont match its not the end of the world. Life goes on, if you yearn for it strongly enough you will get it.
Thanks! Can you share your experience on when is the most expected time to hear from programs ? Early / mid vs late August?

Last edited:

Thank you for your assistance in this process!
I agree with everything you said and had one question. I know that your answer would reflect only a single fellowship center and that you may not be the one making the decisions directly related to the answer of my question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated to us applicants.

How does your program batch interview invitations ? (assuming it does so)

For example, do you 1. take the first "X number" of applicants, review their apps and then send out a (Y %) of interviews followed by reviewing another batch a few days to weeks later and repeating this process until complete?
Or do you 2. use an algorithm to select out the top applicants / best fit and then send out invites to them followed by sending out a second round of invites if needed based off the number of responses to the first batch of invitations? Or do you 3. Do something similar but slightly different to one of these strategies ? or 4. Something completely different ? (if 3 or 4 please explain !) I am not an IMG but Im sure anything related to interview invitations in the batching process related to IMGs would also be greatly appreciated on this forum.

Thank you for your assistance in this process!
I agree with everything you said and had one question. I know that your answer would reflect only a single fellowship center and that you may not be the one making the decisions directly related to the answer of my question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated to us applicants.

How does your program batch interview invitations ? (assuming it does so)

For example, do you 1. take the first "X number" of applicants, review their apps and then send out a (Y %) of interviews followed by reviewing another batch a few days to weeks later and repeating this process until complete?
Or do you 2. use an algorithm to select out the top applicants / best fit and then send out invites to them followed by sending out a second round of invites if needed based off the number of responses to the first batch of invitations? Or do you 3. Do something similar but slightly different to one of these strategies ? or 4. Something completely different ? (if 3 or 4 please explain !) I am not an IMG but Im sure anything related to interview invitations in the batching process related to IMGs would also be greatly appreciated on this forum.

Is answering this question really that important? Either you'll get an IV or you won't. Knowing the logistics of how one program sends invites won't do anything to help your application. If you want to know when programs send out invites the best you'll get is when they sent them out last year. Let's be patient. It's early in the cycle. Most programs don't start sending out invites till August. It's out of our hands

Is answering this question really that important? Either you'll get an IV or you won't. Knowing the logistics of how one program sends invites won't do anything to help your application. If you want to know when programs send out invites the best you'll get is when they sent them out last year. Let's be patient. It's early in the cycle. Most programs don't start sending out invites till August. It's out of our hands

I am just curious as to how the process works. If ur not interested in the answer u don't have to read the response.

Invitations
Yale: 7/20***, 7/19***
Moffitt 7/31*
Mount Sinai Icahn - 7/31***
Michigan: 7/24, 7/24***
Loma Linda***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Icahn Mt Sinai 7/31 ***

Is there any way for programs to find out how many places we've applied to? I've heard along the trail that programs have no way of finding out how many you've applied to. And if they do know, do they care?

Is there any way for programs to find out how many places we've applied to? I've heard along the trail that programs have no way of finding out how many you've applied to. And if they do know, do they care?
No they can't find out and no they don't. And if a program does care, probably not a program you want to go to anyway

Rej
Icahn Mt Sinai

Invitations
Moffitt 7/31*
Loma Linda***

Rejections
Mount Sinai Icahn - 7/31*

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Last edited:
Current fellow here - I used this forum back when I was applying a few years ago. Seems really stupid if people are actually posting fake interviews but honestly as a general rule there's nothing wrong with just being a bit skeptical of things you read on random online forums. Either way it doesn't really matter - if you see an interview here and haven't been formally rejected from a place, just sit tight since it's possible they may send more invites in the future.

Invitations:

Augusta U/Medical College Georgia: 8/1*
Moffitt 7/31*
Loma Linda***

Rejections
Mount Sinai Icahn - 7/31*

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Still no invitations to IMGs needing visa!! Trump anti-immigration effect? as programs worry that they might have visa approval issues so playing safe!!

Even without a visa requirement, no interviews so far :(

Status
Not open for further replies.