2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdiggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we get it going? I want to hear what people are up to!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently staring at a blank word document/attentively cross-covering in the CCU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. Currently contacting letter writers.

Hi, all! Excited to start the application process. I've started on my application and contacted my LoR writers. Personal statement is next on my to-do list. Does anyone know if additional programs will be added to the list of participating programs on ERAS? There are a few I am surprised to see listed as not participating.

Hi, all! Excited to start the application process. I've started on my application and contacted my LoR writers. Personal statement is next on my to-do list. Does anyone know if additional programs will be added to the list of participating programs on ERAS? There are a few I am surprised to see listed as not participating.

Yep, If under the search programs category on ERAS you unselect the box that says "show only programs accepting applications" you will see that some programs such as BIDM, University of Chicago, Northwestern etc are in the "incomplete registration" category....which I assume will be completed by the time applications go out !

Some people apply to one program and match, some apply to 100 and don't. I understand that. I understand there are no "safe" programs. I also understand that depending on the strength of your application you can theoretically adjust the total amount of applications if you apply to the appropriate breadth of programs and do not have any red flags but even then there is no guarantee. In other words, what I am trying to say is that if you answer my questions with "well it depends on..." then you are missing the point that I understand that everything depends on everything and there is no absolute answer....But I have two questions for anyone interested in owning up to the challenge of answering with objectivity and providing simple numbers in their response! I have included my thoughts numerically after each question as well as an example :)

1. What is a typical amount of programs the "average" US grad resident should apply to for heme/onc combined fellowships ? Im just trying to get a ball park figure and from what Ive heard it is about 25-30.

2. What percent of programs would you devote to "reach" programs and to programs that you would consider "below the level you would expect or hope to match to." I was thinking about 20% reach, 60% appropriate, 20% low.

Applied 9 interviewed at 8 ranked 6. (Caveat being that I was a chief resident). A friend of mine in a similar position applied to 18 and ranked 14. A lot of this is personal feel and how many programs you feel comfortable ranking. There's certainly no harm in applying to more programs though it just gets very hectic as the interview days are significantly longer than they were for residency

Applied 9 interviewed at 8 ranked 6. (Caveat being that I was a chief resident). A friend of mine in a similar position applied to 18 and ranked 14. A lot of this is personal feel and how many programs you feel comfortable ranking. There's certainly no harm in applying to more programs though it just gets very hectic as the interview days are significantly longer than they were for residency
You're also a lot busier as a 2nd year IM resident than you were as an M4. I did 4 of my 6 interviews in a 9 day period. The other two were my home program and one I could drive to.

You're also a lot busier as a 2nd year IM resident than you were as an M4. I did 4 of my 6 interviews in a 9 day period. The other two were my home program and one I could drive to.

My programs deadline for vacation time requests for PGY3 year is coming up shortly. I can request for a week off during 9.22.17 - 11.10.17, anyone who has went through this process have an idea of when the bulk of interviews might be so I can request a week off during that period of time? I know this is highly variable, just shooting for a general time frame.

My programs deadline for vacation time requests for PGY3 year is coming up shortly. I can request for a week off during 9.22.17 - 11.10.17, anyone who has went through this process have an idea of when the bulk of interviews might be so I can request a week off during that period of time? I know this is highly variable, just shooting for a general time frame.

I had 1 IV in August 4 in September and 3 in October. It's variable and somewhat up to you but the last week in sept 1st week of oct was probably busiest.

Agreed. Personally anything Over 10-12 is probably overkill unless you have red flags or are geographically limited/applying to several cities. You get so burnt out by the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
what would guys say is "peak season" for interviews? Ie, which months?

Hi All,
One of my letter writers, with whom I did research in past, is unable to provide me the letter on the letterhead.
Will fellowship programs consider that letter or not. Can someone please clarify this for me, please.
Thanks

A list of questions/clarifications regarding the ERAS application that are probably dumb.
1. I believe we cannot register for NRMP until August, so we won't have a number to put on that part of the application until after we submit, correct? Basically what I'm asking is if there is a new NRMP number for the fellowship match that will be different than the one we used for residency
2. If my ACLS certification is expired, is there any reason to renew before applications? I would assume no.
3. For professional societies/organizations, should I list the ones I was involved in in medical school as well--student representative to AMA, etc.
4. Are you listing moonlighting as work experience?

Thanks in advance!

A list of questions/clarifications regarding the ERAS application that are probably dumb.
1. I believe we cannot register for NRMP until August, so we won't have a number to put on that part of the application until after we submit, correct? Basically what I'm asking is if there is a new NRMP number for the fellowship match that will be different than the one we used for residency
2. If my ACLS certification is expired, is there any reason to renew before applications? I would assume no.
3. For professional societies/organizations, should I list the ones I was involved in in medical school as well--student representative to AMA, etc.
4. Are you listing moonlighting as work experience?

Thanks in advance!

1) I don't know if it's new, but sign up in August and update the number that's completely normal

2) no
3) I would only list active society membership (it's completely irrelevant anyway)
4) no

I am trying to decide if taking step 3 later this year will limit my options. Top 30 med school and residency. Step 1, 217. Step 2, 234. 1 pub, 2 abstracts, 2 posters. US citizen. Strong letters. Would like to go to top 25 program. Do you think any top 25 programs will not give me an interview because I dont have step 3? Appreciate any insight.
The only Step 3 score anyone will care about is a bad one.

First post.

Currently a PGY2 at university program in the south. Foreign grad and average to below average application (posters, research, good LoRs, scores, etc). How many programs should I apply to maximize my chances of matching (ballpark figure)? I have no geographical constrains at this point. Thanks.

The best way is to look at people from your program with relatively similar stats and see where they applied and how many interviews they got in the past.
If you wanna play it safe and you're worried about not matching, just apply to as many as your wallet can take. At the end of the day, the only thing you lose is money

First post.

Currently a PGY2 at university program in the south. Foreign grad and average to below average application (posters, research, good LoRs, scores, etc). How many programs should I apply to maximize my chances of matching (ballpark figure)? I have no geographical constrains at this point. Thanks.

I am in a similar situation as you. I tried to match my interest (more clinical vs research) to various programs to see if they worth applying to by looking at their website. However, this is hard with many programs having very little detail on their website. So best option is applying to as many as your pocket allows and hope for the best.

Random CV question...if you wrote 2 chapters for 1 book ....do you list it once or twice ?

You get 10 for the base price. I started (and stopped) there. I got 8 interviews, went on 6 and matched #1. I have a PhD but was otherwise not a stellar applicant.

This may be a bit misleading to applicants. Having a PhD and the associated bare minimum of at least one moderately high impact first author publication is probably the most desirable trait for a strong academic fellowship. But I agree that if you manage to get 8-10 interviews, you should be in very good shape to match there. (Unless you have a major personality flaw, in which case even interviewing at 20 places might not allow you to match.)

This may be a bit misleading to applicants. Having a PhD and the associated bare minimum of at least one moderately high impact first author publication is probably the most desirable trait for a strong academic fellowship. But I agree that if you manage to get 8-10 interviews, you should be in very good shape to match there. (Unless you have a major personality flaw, in which case even interviewing at 20 places might not allow you to match.)

I think at this stage in their lives, applicants should be able to judge their strengths/weaknesses and decide where to apply without being "misled" by an internet post.
If someone doesn't have a PhD or publications and applies to 10 programs based on that post, they have major issues.

Last edited:
I have two questions:

1. I belong to a community program, but I did away rotations. In ERAS, where should I put these rotations, under "training" or "work experience"?
2. I did PHD several years ago, with several publications. My PHD advisor always feels disappointed that I left basic research, hence, I did not ask him for letter. Would it be considered a reg flag? (I have good letters from my current PD and oncologists)

where can BMT fellowship be listed under experience as its not listed in the fellowship specialties?

Hi guys, hope we have a smooth road ahead
About me IMG need visa , Mid tier IM program with associated NCCN center . Did some research 2 Case reports as FA, 3 posters , Review article and co-investigator on an ongoing RCT
3 very good letters. 1 of the letters from a very renowned oncologist
USMLE scores >250 on all steps
Applying with partner also IMG needing Visa
How many program should I apply to and what programs should I aim at ?
Want to be in a very research oriented program but don't think will be able to get in with my research at this time!
Help appreciated

Is Univ of Southern CA Hem/Onc fellowship in or out of match? I am unable to find them on ERAS. They do not seem to be partially registered either. Any input from anyone?

For clinically-focused low to mid tier H/O fellowships, does taking step 3 matter? or since they don't care about score, is doing well on comlex 3 good enough? I don't want to go back and take the clinical skills step 2 so I could take step 3... but if I have to do it, I'd rather do it soon.

My application is ready to go for submission aside from the fact that only 2/4 of my rec letters are uploaded. Apply and add them later ?

My application is ready to go for submission aside from the fact that only 2/4 of my rec letters are uploaded. Apply and add them later ?

I received an email from eras today (im assuming many of u did too) probably because a lot of people are in the same situation and asking them about it. The email states all applications submitted between 7.6.17 and 7.15.17 come across with the same time stamp to fellowship programs on 7.15.17. Therefore I see no possible advantage to submitting the application prior to 7.14.17. But if it makes u less stressed to submit early and reassign the letters as they come in that's fine too, just seems more cumbersome to me. If anyone would like to confirm or refute this statement please do because I'm in the same boat.

First post.

Serious question. How much does Step 2 CS matter? I am an AMG, in a very strong IM residency program (~top 10, with every year people going consistently going to MD Anderson and MSK) with step scores >250, 12 publications (8 first author in basic science and translational science) and multiple grants (no NIH, different academic societies and institutional ones etc). I didn't pass Step 2CS on my first attempt, which was a horrible experience but learned from it and moved on, passing the second time. I was lucky and didn't release my step 2 scores until after I was accepted at my current institution.

I am not sure who to talk too, if I should talk to anyone, how much affect it will have, or if I should even apply. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hello anyone submitted already ? I think I will take the plunge today .

First post.

Serious question. How much does Step 2 CS matter? I am an AMG, in a very strong IM residency program (~top 10, with every year people going consistently going to MD Anderson and MSK) with step scores >250, 12 publications (8 first author in basic science and translational science) and multiple grants (no NIH, different academic societies and institutional ones etc). I didn't pass Step 2CS on my first attempt, which was a horrible experience but learned from it and moved on, passing the second time. I was lucky and didn't release my step 2 scores until after I was accepted at my current institution.

I am not sure who to talk too, if I should talk to anyone, how much affect it will have, or if I should even apply. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

You do not need to talk to any one and Yes you should apply.

In the ideal world it should not matter at all, but unfortunately it might. I'm well aware of programs that filter out apps with any USMLE attempts. no one though can quantify that for you (i.e how much it will affect your chances at a certain program). You cannot change anything about it now so my suggestion is for you to not worry and not let it change anything from your end.

And BTW despite you being a stellar applicant, you need to expect that a few programs will not send you an invite (completely unrelated to your CS 2nd attempt). some of them you might consider safety nets. It's just the way it is.

I have 5 letters and realize I need to have only 4. Obviously my PD letter, an attending I've done research with for a long time, and then picking 2 out of the other 3 is difficult - the heme/onc PD at my current university (worked with him for 4-5 weeks and wrote a case report with), heme/onc APD at NIH where I did an away (and did 2 oral presentations with), or an internal medicine attending who thinks I'm great. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. You should definitely use the local Hem/Onc one, especially since he's a PD. The NIH one will have some heft to it but may not be the "best" LOR depending on how much you worked w/ him.

I have 5 letters and realize I need to have only 4. Obviously my PD letter, an attending I've done research with for a long time, and then picking 2 out of the other 3 is difficult - the heme/onc PD at my current university (worked with him for 4-5 weeks and wrote a case report with), heme/onc APD at NIH where I did an away (and did 2 oral presentations with), or an internal medicine attending who thinks I'm great. Any thoughts are appreciated!

while there's nothing wrong with submitting a letter from an IM attending, if you're confident that the three hem/onc ones are going to be great I would go with that. Big names on LORs matter but you want to make sure it's a personalized LOR from somebody who seem to know you well.

I want to submit today, but I am still waiting on a LOR. They'll let me apply that LOR to programs after I submit, right?

I want to submit today, but I am still waiting on a LOR. They'll let me apply that LOR to programs
after I submit, right?

Yes. I submitted and applied, and I'm going to go back and attach the letter later. Hopefully programs are accustomed to all your letters not being in on July 15th?

Quick question for anyone who might have worked in a fellowship administrative capacity. A lot of programs ask for 3 LORs. Does it hurt in those situations to send a fourth? I have four and am sending it to the programs that need four, but was wondering what the utility of that fourth (I think good letter) could be in programs that only ask for three.

Hi there, new member but long-time reader/lurker here. I'm a recent IM residency grad applying to heme/onc fellowship and had an "am I overthinking this" question I'm hoping any program directors or people with similar knowledge can answer (did not see this posted before, so apologies if it's been answered or is in the wrong place).

I was doing a final proofread before submitting my application, and suddenly became worried about the question: medical license suspended/revoked/voluntarily terminated?

1. My training license expired 6/30 of this year, naturally, and I don't currently have one as I'll be going abroad for a research opportunity for part of the year and didn't expect to practice in the U.S.
2. If it helps, I now have an application submitted/pending approval for an unrestricted license because I realized I'll have a little time to moonlight before I go abroad (can't hurt to earn back some of the cost of the plane tickets, right?).

Do I check yes and explain this as a voluntary lapse for this question, or is it more for any sort of disciplinary issues? Is this something that will raise any red flags if I say no (and they'll see my training license expired at the end of June?).

Thanks for any advice!

None of the above. It expired and you chose not to renew it.

They're asking if you ever had a license suspended or revoked, or were allowed to surrender it in lieu of it being revoked.

None of the above. It expired and you chose not to renew it.

They're asking if you ever had a license suspended or revoked, or were allowed to surrender it in lieu of it being revoked.
Thank you for the advice, that's exactly what I needed to know. Best of luck to everybody, and hope to see you all on the interview trail soon!

Had my LOR from Hem/onc "new PD" (started on 7/1 as that title) attending at my institution posted on Monday. Even though ERAS posting says up to 5 business days (to me that means take care of anything before 5 pm), the letter still has not been released. Do I apply tomorrow on 15th with my one very strong onc letter from my old PD, and one letter I am not sure if it is that strong from BMT doc? Or should I wait until this "new PD" letter clears, which I imagine may be stronger as I've known him for years.

Good Luck everyone ....it is officially opening day :)

Quick question for anyone who might have worked in a fellowship administrative capacity. A lot of programs ask for 3 LORs. Does it hurt in those situations to send a fourth? I have four and am sending it to the programs that need four, but was wondering what the utility of that fourth (I think good letter) could be in programs that only ask for three.
no harm in sending 4th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.