2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to throw up...I just realized that under the "training" category, I didn't list my residency program. I misread it only as "prior training" so I left it blank since I'd never been at any other residency program. I proofread my application several times and can't believe I missed that. Please tell me I'm not doomed (even though I probably am T_T).

Certified and submitted = Can't Change. Options include sitting tight and hoping for the best vs. emailing the programs you applied to with the information.
You have a letter from your PD, I'm sure there's information there that shows how you are a fantastic PGY2 at X institute. Lots of programs look at the name of the institution that you come from (top tier vs mid/low tier), and if they are doing that rapidly they may skip over you. Could we get some input from senior members? (Gutonc your respected advice)

When the program asks for letter from current PD, that is my internal medicine PD???? I have graduated 3 weeks ago and currently enrolled in a year fellowship program. Do I need to ask my new PD (fellowship) as well for a letter??? Any comments please?

One letter from PD is what is listed, that is generally an IM PD, your circumstance is different. If your 1 yr fellowship PD will write you a strong letter its probably a good idea. You did the 1 year fellowship for a reason, it would probably be a good idea to have one LOR from there as long as its a good one, but not necessarily PD.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it has been just 3 weeks in this fellowship and I am not sure that the PD knows me well enough to write STRONG letter.... ??? Will I be screened out for submitting prior rather than current PD letter? That's the nightmare I am having ....

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it has been just 3 weeks in this fellowship and I am not sure that the PD knows me well enough to write STRONG letter.... ??? Will I be screened out for submitting prior rather than current PD letter? That's the nightmare I am having ....
The only way for them to know if a letter is from a PD is if you click 'this is a program director' for it unless they know the name of the letter writer. I'm sure there is a way to sort applications into two piles based on ones that have a PD marked letter and those that dont. I don't think there is any way to know current or prior PD, at least not until they have actually looked at your application.

No. Submit your IM PD LOR. It will be the best one.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you list your residency anywhere on the application... could be still okay.

It's more indirect, like where I had this research experience, or talking about residency stuff in my personal statement. I've now begun the process of reaching out to each program and letting them know that yes, I am indeed a current PGY3 at this residency program. I figure if one program noticed and cared enough to reach out to me about it, others have probably noticed too. Hoo boy.

hope everyone gets IV today

Reactions: 1 users
No movement so far-----------------------------

Is something wrong with my application or no one else is getting an IV

Looking back at last year, really late July and early to mid-August is when most programs sent out invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new IVs added to keep track of changes)

Invitations
Texas Tech Univ Hlth Sci Pgm: 7/18* 7/19*
Yale 7/20***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
Rutgers 7/24 (External)***

Rejections
University of North Carolina: 7/18***

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Yale 7/20***
UT Southwestern 7/20***
Rutgers 7/24 (External)***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
What does external mean?

Applied last year and first interview was 7/25 and then there was a huge lag for about 10 days before more came in. Only applied to NYC programs and Northwell/Rutgers FWIW.

@gutonc
when should IMGs expect an interview ?middle tier university program
So there is actually data by the NRMP on when oncology programs extend interview invites. 11 % in July, 47% in August and 34% in September. I doubt there is much difference between when IMGs and when US grads get interviews for most programs. If you're an IMG, either the program thinks your application is strong enough to warrant an interview despite a visa requirement or it's not.

Applied to 25 programs:

Invitations:

Michigan 7/24

Rejections:
University of North Carolina: 7/18

when you get IV can you please mention that if you had any contact in that program or not? It would help us to get better picture of where do we stand?

We all know that having contacts plays a big role in this process independent of qualifications.

Emory said wait till August, have 3 spots, will contact you again!! Looking forward, anyone else in the same boat??

when you get IV can you please mention that if you had any contact in that program or not? It would help us to get better picture of where do we stand?

We all know that having contacts plays a big role in this process independent of qualifications.

Invite 7/25: University of Colorado* (IMG no visa needed)
- Not my home program, no contact or recognized nepotism in my favor. Other than mentioning my interest in thoracic & GI oncology (which I'm sure didn't sell me), I'm just another grateful applicant.

Also Emory "Hello and maybe talk to you later" message.

I am starting to think there is a glitch in the application received email service ...Emory/Rutgers has thanked me twice and Duke 3 times lol

Invitations
Yale: 7/20***, 7/19
UT Southwestern: 7/20***
Rutgers: 7/24 (External)***
University of Colorado: (7/25)*
Montefiore: (7/23)*
Michigan: 7/24, 7/24

Rejections
Medical College of Georgia (Augusta) 7/17

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Duke should be thanking you- they were one of two unfilled programs in the entire country last year and didn't fill 2 of the last 3 years.

I saw that from last year's thread. This is surprising to me. Anyone know why?

I am wondering why this season is so slow ?
Are programs sending invites to people not in this forum?

I am wondering why this season is so slow ?
Are programs sending invites to people not in this forum?

Every year people ask the same question

Invitations
Rutgers: 7/24 (External)***, 7/24***
Jefferson: 7/27***
University of Maryland: 7/20***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Orlando Health- does anyone know about this program? Academics specifically?

Invitations
Orlando Health: 7/27*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Vanderbilt: 7/27*

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Invitations
Vanderbilt: 7/27*, 7/27***

Rejections

Applied to 25 programs:

Invitations:

Michigan 7/24
Vanderbilt 7/27

Rejections:
University of North Carolina: 7/18

Look like only AMG and US-IMG are getting interviews. Is there any IMG needs visa getting an interview? Starting to feel depressed.

I guess programs sending invites to high scores first , then AMG, then people with good resume and publications, kind of mix

***ALSO , I guess some of the posted interviews in this forum are not real!!! ***

Last edited:
I guess programs sending invites to high scores first , then AMG, then people with good resume and publications, kind of mix

***ALSO , I guess some of the posted interviews in this forum are not real!!! ***
What's all this based on? I'm genuinely curious.

Invitations
Loma Linda***
Vanderbilt: 7/27*, 7/27***

Rejections

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

Ya the first part is false (and probably the 2nd part too)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.