2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who's at one of the places on the YIA-heavy list you mentioned, I'm not sure it's fair to use the ASCO YIA success rate as the sole metric for comparing programs. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be where I am but I definitely wouldn't consider a colleague at the Hutch or Penn to be "academically behind" me.

I’m assuming you made your decision based on individual fit, but were there any metrics that you did find helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m assuming you made your decision based on individual fit, but were there any metrics that you did find helpful?

Hmm that's a pretty tough question, mainly because I'll never really know what it's like to train at other programs. IMHO, fit is the most important along with personal factors like family, kids, etc., if those factors pertain to you, especially once you are talking about places in that tier. I think the quality of life of the fellows is important as well - most people are pretty tired after two or three years of residency and depending on where you go, fellowship can be pretty brutal, though some people like being trained in that kind of environment. Overall, in terms of metrics, I think what's important isn't/shouldn't be the same for everyone. The ASCO YIA stuff is nice (and believe me I took notice too when I was interviewing) but it wouldn't really matter if you went somewhere and were interested in some type of research that no one in the institution will support you on or has the expertise in to help you carry the project or ideas forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm that's a pretty tough question, mainly because I'll never really know what it's like to train at other programs. IMHO, fit is the most important along with personal factors like family, kids, etc., if those factors pertain to you, especially once you are talking about places in that tier. I think the quality of life of the fellows is important as well - most people are pretty tired after two or three years of residency and depending on where you go, fellowship can be pretty brutal, though some people like being trained in that kind of environment. Overall, in terms of metrics, I think what's important isn't/shouldn't be the same for everyone. The ASCO YIA stuff is nice (and believe me I took notice too when I was interviewing) but it wouldn't really matter if you went somewhere and were interested in some type of research that no one in the institution will support you on or has the expertise in to help you carry the project or ideas forward.

Agreed.

For folks interviewing and looking to be "academically successful" you need:
1. to be comfortable/happy (i.e family, geography ...etc)
2. to be in a place that has resources: doesn't have to be one of the top ASCO-YIA or whatever crappy metric list people come up with these days, but it has to be a place where you have access to databases, statisticians, bioinformatics, good people in other specialties ...etc
3. to hook up with the right mentor: this doesn't only mean a big name, but somebody who successfully mentored fellows before and supported them to get grants and become junior faculty.
4. a lot of hard work
5. a lot of luck. like a lot
6. willingness to accept that you won't be making a lot of money doing what you do

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed.

For folks interviewing and looking to be "academically successful" you need:
1. to be comfortable/happy (i.e family, geography ...etc)
2. to be in a place that has resources: doesn't have to be one of the top ASCO-YIA or whatever crappy metric list people come up with these days, but it has to be a place where you have access to databases, statisticians, bioinformatics, good people in other specialties ...etc
3. to hook up with the right mentor: this doesn't only mean a big name, but somebody who successfully mentored fellows before and supported them to get grants and become junior faculty.
4. a lot of hard work
5. a lot of luck. like a lot
6. willingness to accept that you won't be making a lot of money doing what you do

This is great advice. A great mentor will get you published more than a big name alone.

And to give the counterpoint from the other side of applicants:

If you want private practice and know it, make sure you pick a high volume place with lots of bread and butter and minimal research requirements. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do some scholarly activity but that it shouldn't consume you. I am doing a ton of clinic in my final year and have grown exponentially. If the research requirement on me was more stringent, I feel that I would suffer clinically.

Hi all. My main confusion is whether to rank U of Minnesota first or U of Wisconsin. Inclined towards solids and academics. Don't have geographical or other personal preference. UMN may be known for malignant heme but training in solids also seemed good during my interview visit. I am looking for the program that may be overall better in terms of quality of clinical training and reputation. Any help would mean a lot. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi all. My main confusion is whether to rank U of Minnesota first or U of Wisconsin. Inclined towards solids and academics. Don't have geographical or other personal preference. UMN may be known for malignant heme but training in solids also seemed good during my interview visit. I am looking for the program that may be overall better in terms of quality of clinical training and reputation. Any help would mean a lot. Thanks and good luck to everyone!
They're close enough in quality that it will make no difference from a training perspective. I'd personally rank UW higher, but you can make an honest argument for flipping it around.

Help with ranking please.No real location preference besides warmth over cold. Interested in well rounded education .
1/2 MUSC/Ohio State
3 LSU New Orleans
4 Uni of Tenn
5.West Virg Uni
6.Wash hosp cent
7.UTMB

Last edited:
Does the program reaches out to their top candidates after IVs to let them know that they are ranking them high? I know its a common practice in some other subspecialties.

Does the program reaches out to their top candidates after IVs to let them know that they are ranking them high? I know its a common practice in some other subspecialties.
Every program is different. Don't let it cross your mind again, and if you do hear, don't let it affect your ROL.

Did anyone get a new interview from LSU/Shreveport ?

I just got one . I thought I completed my interview season.

Did anyone get a new interview from LSU/Shreveport ?

I just got one . I thought I completed my interview season.
I also got in beginning of October. Its a decent program- more clinical. They have just one day left now on 27th I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had a few new IV and would like to present my new top 5 . interest in GU
UAB
VCU
Roswell Park
Maryland
montifeori

I would rank them in this order

Any changes ?

UAB
VCU
Roswell Park
Maryland
montifeori

Any changes ?

I think that's the order I'd rank those. What put UAB above VCU and MD?

UAB
VCU
Roswell Park
Maryland
montifeori

Any changes ?
So would I. Although I think you could shuffle the middle 3 any way you wanted and be OK.

UAB
VCU
Roswell Park
Maryland
montifeori

Any changes ?
UAB lost their main GU guy this summer. But path is strong and chairman of path is a prostate guy so there are a lot of research opportunities. FYI.

Wanted input on ranking. List is how I would rank. interest in academics - malignant heme, location preferable Northeast but training/mentorship take priority.
MSK
Penn
Dana Farber
UNC
Hopkins
Sinai
Columbia
Cornell

Thank you

Last edited:
IMO if you're interested in mal heme Cornell > Columbia and Sinai. But just my 2 cents. Unlikely you'll make it below # 3 anyway.

Any thoughts on this ROL: I'm J1 on a visa, Myeloma research interests but also need to be clinically sound for J1 Waiver job.
Not seeing much about case western on the blogs. I heard that University Hospitals separating from Case Western and that Case was joining forces with Cleveland clinic, which makes me wonder if I should rank it lower.
Appreciate any input! :)

1. Mayo rochester
2. Case western
3. University of Rochester
4. University of Miami
5. University of Florida
6. University of Kentucky
7. University of Maryland
8. Montifiore, Albert Einstein Bronx
9. Loyola Chicago
10. Northwell, Northoshore Long island

Any thoughts on Westchester Medical center?
Also wondering if it is considered a university program? some confusion about that during the interview.

Hello,

I am finalizing my ROL and I appreciate your opinion (especially from experienced users like gutonc and visari).
I am interested in heme malignancies and BMT, but also want a well rounded program. I'm leaning more toward academic position (hybrid academics). Another thing to consider - my wife is PGY2 at the same program, applying to ID fellowship next cycle.

My ROL:
1. University of Minnesota
2. University of Maryland (initially was my 1st choice due to geographic location, but overall experience was poor)
3. NCI
4. UAB
5. Medical college of Georgia
6. Alleghany

Thank you

Hello,

I am finalizing my ROL and I appreciate your opinion (especially from experienced users like gutonc and visari).
I am interested in heme malignancies and BMT, but also want a well rounded program. I'm leaning more toward academic position (hybrid academics). Another thing to consider - my wife is PGY2 at the same program, applying to ID fellowship next cycle.

My ROL:
2. University of Maryland (initially was my 1st choice due to geographic location, but overall experience was poor)
3. NCI
4. UAB
6. Alleghany

Thank you
I would rank allegheny higher . I think the program is clinically busy(specially heme malignancies and BMT) and with Himark insurance taking them over , they are giving UPMC serious competition . I also heard , and although this might be untrue that they are aiming for NCI-cancer institute designation next year .I fully agree with your assessment go U of Maryland and it too went down on my ROL

Hello,

My ROL:
3. NCI
4. UAB
6. Alleghany

Thank you

List looks fine. I think UAB is more well rounded than NCI. Their ID program is premier as well so it depends on how important that is to your decision.

Hello,

My ROL:
3. NCI
4. UAB
6. Alleghany

Thank you
UAB should be in the top 2 or 3. Definitely above UMD.

List looks fine. I think UAB is more well rounded than NCI. Their ID program is premier as well so it depends on how important that is to your decision. .
Thank you HOIV!

I would rank allegheny higher . I think the program is clinically busy(specially heme malignancies and BMT) and with Himark insurance taking them over , they are giving UPMC serious competition . I also heard , and although this might be untrue that they are aiming for NCI-cancer institute designation next year .I fully agree with your assessment go U of Maryland and it too went down on my ROL.
Thank you! Interesting to hear about you experience in U/Maryland. What is the reason: are they filled already?

Thank you! Interesting to hear about you experience in U/Maryland. What is the reason: are they filled already?.
We also had a car crash of interview day at U of Maryland and I too wondered if they already have enough fast track/internal applicants.

Thank you! Interesting to hear about you experience in U/Maryland. What is the reason: are they filled already?.
No they are not filled . That is what I know
The fellows looked overworked and tired. PD didn't rub off as a person who would be receptive to your needs

Hi All! I would like to get some advice on my rank list. I am clinically interested in solid tumor and my research interests are in basic vs. translational areas. I would like to be in academics long term. I value the diversity of research opportunities available (since I am not sure what exactly I want to study), mentorship and preparation for the next step of my career. Clinical training should also be well rounded. Here is my potential list:

1) MSKCC
2) Penn
3) Columbia
4) Hopkins
5) Yale
6) Duke
7) NIH
8) NYU
9) Mt. Sinai
10) FCCC/Temple

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Hi all! I'm applying now interested in solid tumor (possibly lung) clinical/translational research.

However, was wondering if anyone could comment some of the pros/cons about Fox Chase in Philly. Enjoyed my interview there recently and seems to have a strong name but recent threads have alluded to multiple faculty leaving and the center being in financial trouble (though may have changed since their merger with Temple)

I currently have my list ranked (would like to stay in Philly)
1/2. UPenn/FCCC
3. UChicago
4. Mt Sinai
5. Vandy
6. NCI/NIH (worried about the clinical training)

Philly aside I would personally put FCCC #5 below Vandy on that list. Otherwise your list looks good.
In general, I would stay away from a place with a lot of faculty leaving due to any reason. They might tell you it won't affect the fellowship program, but it always does. Now I don't know if that's true for FCCC but ask insiders before putting your rank list.

Hi All! I would like to get some advice on my rank list. I am clinically interested in solid tumor and my research interests are in basic vs. translational areas. I would like to be in academics long term. I value the diversity of research opportunities available (since I am not sure what exactly I want to study), mentorship and preparation for the next step of my career. Clinical training should also be well rounded. Here is my potential list:

1) MSKCC
2) Penn
3) Columbia
4) Hopkins
5) Yale
6) Duke
7) NIH
8) NYU
9) Mt. Sinai
10) FCCC/Temple

Would appreciate your thoughts!

looks good. I would put NYU at the bottom but you won't drop that low anyway

Appreciate your guidance. Interested in breast/GI malignancies, looking for a strong clinical training (combined hem-onc and fellow autonomy -continuity clinic) and mentorship and good name to establish career in academic/academic-private hybrid setting in Mid- Atlantic/NE.

1-Columbia
2-U of Chicago
3/4-Mount Sinai/Cornell

Last edited:
Could someone share their experience at these programs?
UAB
VCU
Roswell Park

Could someone share their experience at these programs?
UAB
VCU
Roswell Park

I can shed some light on UAB. It’s a solid clinical program with a good amount of research opportunities. Fellows get along very well and have good camaraderie. Program director is excellent as is malignant heme program. Tons of clinical exposure and a strong continuity clinic at the VA. Good moonlighting opportunities internally and a pretty flexible curriculum allow for lots of individualizations.

Hello folks,

I am in IMG on a J1 waiver from Michigan. I need some help with ROL. Most programs that I interviewed are relatively small. I prefer to be in academics but with J1 waiver I am looking for a program to be equally strong clinically. Location is not a problem at all. Goal is to match just being on a J1 visa.

Here is my ROL.

1. Mayo Clinic - FL
2. Mayo Clinic - AZ
3. Univ of Cincinnati
4. Vidant Medical center - East Carolina university.
5. Univ of Louisville.
6. LSU - Shreveport.
7. Beaumont Health , MI
8. St.Johns - MI
9. Roger williams - BU - RI
10. Univ of toledo - med onc but being converted to hem/onc
11. Univ of Florida - Med onc.

Any suggestions ??

I would appreciate your opinion about Yale. I had a positive interview experience, fellows seemed happy. I think the training is very intense during the first year, but research seemed very strong. I would like to stay in academia, my interest is in solid tumors. Thank you!

Goal is community oncologist...looking for solid comprehensive clinical training…deciding between Iowa, Indiana, and UNC….thoughts anyone?

Hey guys,
How would you rank following programs:

MUSC
BU
University of Cincinnati
University of Kentucky

Looking for strong clinical training esp solids. PP or hybrid. No geographical preference.

Thanks.

Hi everyone. Can you provide your comments/feedback on my ROL below? Interested in malignant heme, and hoping to pursue a hybrid academic career in the future. Dont have any geographic preference. Thank you!

UAB
UT Southwestern
Iowa
Univ of Arizona
Kansas
Tufts
Univ of Southern California (it is a good program, but after the interview I didn't think it would be a good fit for me; hence ranking last)

Goal is community oncologist...looking for solid comprehensive clinical training…deciding between Iowa, Indiana, and UNC….thoughts anyone?
Little to no difference between them for your situation. I'd rank:
UNC
Iowa
Indy

But that's mostly for location.

Hey guys,
How would you rank following programs:

MUSC
BU
University of Cincinnati
University of Kentucky

Looking for strong clinical training esp solids. PP or hybrid. No geographical preference.

Thanks.
I'd personally have Cincy first, but this order is fine too.

Hi everyone. Can you provide your comments/feedback on my ROL below? Interested in malignant heme, and hoping to pursue a hybrid academic career in the future. Dont have any geographic preference. Thank you!

UAB
UT Southwestern
Iowa
Univ of Arizona
Kansas
Tufts
Univ of Southern California (it is a good program, but after the interview I didn't think it would be a good fit for me; hence ranking last)
Looks good to me. I'd make some changes for geographic preferences if it was my list, but since you say you don't have any, no need to change it.

How do people feel about Duke vs UNC vs Vandy for these programs in a similar area. Thinking malignant heme or solid tumor. Academics in clinical investigation.

can we write the email to the PDs that your program is my Top choice? Is is against any ACGME rules?

Looking to go the benchwork, physician-scientist route. No preference at this point for solids vs liquids. Looking more for good mentorship and labs with good track records of fellows/postdocs starting their own labs. I liked all programs I interviewed at.

1. MSKCC
2. Fred Hutch
3. Yale
4. Vanderbilt
5. UC Irvine
6. UAB

This is my current list trying to balance the factors below along with my gut feelings (admittedly they sometimes conflict). Would appreciate thoughts on anything obvious I'm overlooking.

- Geography: strong preference for Philadelphia, though willing to go to a bit outside for better fit/training
- Leaning towards academics, heme malignancy, immuno-oncology, and translational research but trying to keep options open so looking for good clinical training
- Work/life balance: looking for a place that is friendly to families and doesn't crush you in the first year

1. Penn
2. Temple/FCCC
3. Jefferson
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Columbia
6. MSKCC
7. Cornell (I know should maybe be higher but had several weird interactions there and not sure it'd be a good fit).
8. NYU
9. UMaryland
10. RWJ
11. Drexel
12. Lankenau
13. Cooper

Thanks for any insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.