2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to go the benchwork, physician-scientist route. No preference at this point for solids vs liquids. Looking more for good mentorship and labs with good track records of fellows/postdocs starting their own labs. I liked all programs I interviewed at.

1. MSKCC
2. Fred Hutch
3. Yale
4. Vanderbilt
5. UC Irvine
6. UAB
That's a pretty good order. I'd personally swap Yale and Vandy and then UAB and UCI. But this order is fine too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Torn between my top 4 (MDACC, UCSF, Penn, Hutch). Interested in bench research/phase I/cellular engineering/therapy/cancer immunology. Academia>industry>private. Solids>=Liquids. No geographic preference.

Basic science (cellular engineering/immunology): UCSF>Penn/Hutch>MDACC
Translational->Phase I in cellular therapies: Penn>Hutch>>>MDACC>>>UCSF
Research Money: MDACC/Penn (Novartis, Parker)/UCSF (CZI, Parker) > Hutch (NIH, some help from Bezos)
City: Philadelphia (East coast) = Seattle (Beautiful, I prefer cold) > San Francisco (Extremely expensive) = Houston (hot, Texas)
QOL: MDACC (easy moonlighting/light schedule will bring salary to 150-200K, low cost of living) > Hutch = Penn > UCSF
Clinical: MDACC>Penn=Hutch>UCSF

Currently:
1. Penn
2. Hutch
3. UCSF (I really love basic research there, but weak phase I component is an issue)
4. MD Anderson (weak in the area I am interested in, otherwise an amazing program)

Advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Please advise on ROL.. intersted in Heme, preference for Boston,
Thank you!

-BU hem-onc
-BU geri-onc
-UMass
-UAB
-Drexel
-U of Arozona
-RPCI-UB
-UCSF Fresno
-LSU
-UTMB
-Roger Wlliams

Members don't see this ad :)
Torn between my top 4 (MDACC, UCSF, Penn, Hutch). Interested in bench research/phase I/cellular engineering/therapy/cancer immunology. Academia>industry>private. Solids>=Liquids. No geographic preference.

Basic science (cellular engineering/immunology): UCSF>Penn/Hutch>MDACC
Translational->Phase I in cellular therapies: Penn>Hutch>>>MDACC>>>UCSF
Research Money: MDACC/Penn (Novartis, Parker)/UCSF (CZI, Parker) > Hutch (NIH, some help from Bezos)
City: Philadelphia (East coast) = Seattle (Beautiful, I prefer cold) > San Francisco (Extremely expensive) = Houston (hot, Texas)
QOL: MDACC (easy moonlighting/light schedule will bring salary to 150-200K, low cost of living) > Hutch = Penn > UCSF
Clinical: MDACC>Penn=Hutch>UCSF

Currently:
1. Penn
2. Hutch
3. UCSF (I really love basic research there, but weak phase I component is an issue)
4. MD Anderson (weak in the area I am interested in, otherwise an amazing program)

Advice appreciated.

Honestly, you could shuffle those four in any order and turn out fine. If it were me though, I wouldn't worry so much about where the research money is coming from, that's really not going to impact a fellow's potential research projects as much as the mentors/labs available

Honestly, you could shuffle those four in any order and turn out fine. If it were me though, I wouldn't worry so much about where the research money is coming from, that's really not going to impact a fellow's potential research projects as much as the mentors/labs available

There seems to be more private/industry funding at MDACC, UCSF, and Penn. Easier to do an expensive project (CRISPR screen, single cell RNA seq etc).

There seems to be more private/industry funding at MDACC, UCSF, and Penn. Easier to do an expensive project (CRISPR screen, single cell RNA seq etc).

Ehh, maybe, but I wouldn't make a rank list because of hypothetical experiment(s) for hypothetical project(s) that you may not even end up doing in fellowship. I would also have a hard time believing that the folks at the Hutch would have trouble setting up a CRISPR screen if that's what was truly necessary to answer their question

Again...the funding generally goes to the investigators. There's plenty of folks at UW/Hutch (not to mention numerous other places) with the cash to do the experiments you want.

Honestly, the differences between those 4 places are so small that geography/institutional culture are probably the most distinguishing characteristics between them.

Everyone always considers Sloan/Hopkins/Washington/Penn to be some of the strongest programs. How do places like Duke/Michigan/UTSW hold up as far as reputation? Wondering if the soft factors that would pull one to these programs would be worth it in the long run if an academic career in clinical investigation is the goal.

Everyone always considers Sloan/Hopkins/Washington/Penn to be some of the strongest programs. How do places like Duke/Michigan/UTSW hold up as far as reputation? Wondering if the soft factors that would pull one to these programs would be worth it in the long run if an academic career in clinical investigation is the goal.
Just fine.

There are 20-30 (maybe 40) programs that you could argue are in the same general "tier" as the "top X" programs.

And remember that the program that I consider "best" may not even be a place you want to interview...and vice versa.

Just fine.

There are 20-30 (maybe 40) programs that you could argue are in the same general "tier" as the "top X" programs.

And remember that the program that I consider "best" may not even be a place you want to interview...and vice versa.
P

Thanks for the input, of those three what would you consider the strongest?

Thanks for the input, of those three what would you consider the strongest?
They're essentially identical. Don't get hung up on some mythical idea of program strength. Sure, they're all "stronger" than Hollywood Upstairs Medical College. But, again, there's no real significant difference between those programs.

Goal is community oncologist...looking for solid comprehensive clinical training…deciding between Iowa, Indiana, and UNC….thoughts anyone?

Can't speak to Indiana, but if IIRC from the trail, both Iowa and UNC had community oncology training tracks. Definitely find a program with this track if you're thinking community practice. Also, I made a thread last year that may be worth a look as you contemplate your match list- check my post hx.

How do people feel about Duke vs UNC vs Vandy for these programs in a similar area. Thinking malignant heme or solid tumor. Academics in clinical investigation.

Not sure what to make of it, but out of the entire country, Duke was one of three programs unfilled from the Match last year (2 of 4 total unfilled h/o spots were at Duke). They also went unfilled a few years back. More likely that represents poor ranking/not interviewing enough on Duke's part, but to me that suggested some amount of instability within the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what to make of it, but out of the entire country, Duke was one of three programs unfilled from the Match last year (2 of 4 total unfilled h/o spots were at Duke). They also went unfilled a few years back. More likely that represents poor ranking/not interviewing enough on Duke's part, but to me that suggested some amount of instability within the program.

I interviewed there a few years ago - didn't really get the sense at that time that the program was unstable. I'd guess that it's probably more from being too picky for the rank list and difficulty in recruiting their top candidates to Durham. IIRC, Duke has also gone unfilled in other subspecialties in the past.

SUNY downstate VS Westchester? Who to rank first? Would really appreciate your advice. @gutonc any thought?

This is my current list trying to balance the factors below along with my gut feelings (admittedly they sometimes conflict). Would appreciate thoughts on anything obvious I'm overlooking.

- Geography: strong preference for Philadelphia, though willing to go to a bit outside for better fit/training
- Leaning towards academics, heme malignancy, immuno-oncology, and translational research but trying to keep options open so looking for good clinical training
- Work/life balance: looking for a place that is friendly to families and doesn't crush you in the first year

1. Penn
2. Temple/FCCC
3. Jefferson
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Columbia
6. MSKCC
7. Cornell (I know should maybe be higher but had several weird interactions there and not sure it'd be a good fit).
8. NYU
9. UMaryland
10. RWJ
11. Drexel
12. Lankenau
13. Cooper

Thanks for any insight!

Still looking for some advice, maybe on these specific questions if that makes it easier to have an opinion:
- FCCC vs. Jefferson for number 2?
- Are any of the other Philly/NJ programs at the bottom strong enough to move above the NY programs given the geographic preference?

Appreciate everyone's experience and help!

Ohio state vs MUSC ... for all around training ? Which to rank 1st ?

SUNY downstate VS Westchester? Who to rank first? Would really appreciate your advice. @gutonc any thought?
Don't know enough about downstate
Westchester is a very scattered program with rotations in 3 different hospitals in 3 years which are I believe far part from each other .

Does anyone know when we will get an e-mail stating if (not where) we matched?

Does anyone know when we will get an e-mail stating if (not where) we matched?
You need to participate in the match on nrmp, and make a ROL and certify it before Nov 15. You will get an email about match results on Dec 6.

My husband is interested in GU tumors (mostly Kidney/Prostate, hope to do research in cancer genomics/bioinformatics) and would appreciate your input regarding his choices. We don't have geographic preference.

Tentative list:

UCSF
UPENN
UW
Yale
UCLA
UCSD
U Michigan

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Would appreciate ur opinion : MSU VS SLU ?
Interested in Malignant hem.
No geographic preference .

I heard St Elizabeth hemoc fellowship program in Boston was freeze for about 2 years and then this year they reopening. What is the meaning of program freeze? Is the program unstable? If so, I would rather rank this program at the bottom of my rank list. I don't want my fellowship to be interrupted. Any advice?

Can we send an email to PD that their program is our top choice? whats the best time

Can we send an email to PD that their program is our top choice? whats the best time

You can. I’d do it as soon as you know as you don’t know when the programs ranking meeting is. I would be very honest and say you are my top choice (and only say it to one program as they do y’all).

Ohio state vs MUSC ... for all around training ? Which to rank 1st ?
I don't know anything about the MUSC program. If by "all around training" you are implying you want to do community hematology/oncology, would not advise Ohio State. They do not have an affiliated VA or community hospital so the continuity clinic is only at the university and you have minimal autonomy and only a sub-specialized academic clinic experience.

You need to participate in the match on nrmp, and make a ROL and certify it before Nov 15. You will get an email about match results on Dec 6.
I didn't realize there was no e-mail the week before the actual match day saying if, not where we matched, as there was in residency.

Any thoughts on Wash U vs UChicago vs Michigan for someone interested in translational research, undecided on disease focus?

I didn't realize there was no e-mail the week before the actual match day saying if, not where we matched, as there was in residency.

Actually there is only one email, in which you will know if you matched and where

Any thoughts on Wash U vs UChicago vs Michigan for someone interested in translational research, undecided on disease focus?
As you probably already suspect, it's a pretty tight race. But WashU has crazy money and research opportunities on hand. If that's your only concern for ranking, I'd put it in the order you listed above...with UofC higher than UM for geographic reasons.

Hi guys, looking for some insight into my rank list, @gutonc and others. Am interested in malignant hematology and therefore likely academics, but would like a program with good clinical training in general in case I change my mind as seems to often be the case with many. No geographic preference other than #1, just the training.

1. Vanderbilt (wife and I are from here)
2. UNC
3. Northwestern
4. University of Chicago
5. IU
6. Iowa
7. Virginia Commonwealth University
8. Wake Forest
9. Karmanos
10. Rutgers
11. Oklahoma
12. Nebraska

Thanks for your help

Hi guys, looking for some insight into my rank list, @gutonc and others. Am interested in malignant hematology and therefore likely academics, but would like a program with good clinical training in general in case I change my mind as seems to often be the case with many. No geographic preference other than #1, just the training.

1. Vanderbilt (wife and I are from here)
2. UNC
3. Northwestern
4. University of Chicago
5. IU
6. Iowa
7. Virginia Commonwealth University
8. Wake Forest
9. Karmanos
10. Rutgers
11. Oklahoma
12. Nebraska

Thanks for your help
Looks fine.

I would appreciatte recs. J1, interested in hematologic malignancies likely multiple myeloma (A preference not a requirement). Preference is to stay in the East Coast but also not a requirement.

Top 5.

1. Columbia. Liked the institution overall. Likely competitive given that is in NYC.
2. Fox Chase. Liked it overall, weaker on heme malignancies that solids. But good program and nice city.ç
3. Mayo arizona. Good in myeloma with possibilites to rotate in Rochester.
4. NIH/NCI. I know the research requirements and the less focus on clinical work.
5. Case western. Strong in hema malignancies and BMT.

Middle 5.
6. Miami/Jackson. Good program and works for me geographically.
7. U of arizona. Good program.
8. KUMC. Good program.
9. Montefiore/Albert Einstin. They work hard, but have research opportunities.
10. Rutgers/RWJ. Good program not impressive but works geographically.

Bottom 3.
11. U florida/Gainesville. Not very strong research. But good place to live.
12. U Indiana. Liked it but doesnt work geographically.
13. U San Antonio. Very heavy 1st year. Not much research.

Thanks for the recs.

Any opinions on Columbia vs Cornell? Liked them both. Cornell has the MSK ties which are nice, Columbia maybe better reputation overall. Interested in malignant heme.

Thanks!

Solid list but I cannot see how mayo Arizona should be so high with those programs you have. Yes it has he potential to rotate at mayo Rochester but it does not have the reputation of at least 5-6 other programs you've ranked lower

Any opinions on Columbia vs Cornell? Liked them both. Cornell has the MSK ties which are nice, Columbia maybe better reputation overall. Interested in malignant heme.

Thanks!
Cornell significantly better in mal heme. Think Columbia's better reputation overall is based on the name and brand and not necessarily on the training or hem/onc program itself. Solids I'd give edge to Columbia though.

One major difference between the two programs is fellows clinic at Cornell. Columbia has the attendings clinics where you rotate through so something to keep in mind depending on what kind of experience you want.

gutonc, visari or other senior members
Having difficulty between Hopkins, UNC, UCLA and BID. Malignant heme interest, location doesn't matter. Academic interest.

Having difficulty between Hopkins, UNC, UCLA and BID. Malignant heme interest, location doesn't matter. Academic interest.
Hopkins>>>the rest. Would say other three are probably close enough but don't know enough about ucla or UNC

Anyone have any thoughts from the interview trail or have perspective on how they would rank Fred Hutch, Stanford, and UCLA for academic hematology? No geographic preference. Thanks!

Personally? I'd say Hopkins ~ UCLA ~ UNC > BID ... but these are all excellent places and it's splitting hairs

Anyone have any thoughts from the interview trail or have perspective on how they would rank Fred Hutch, Stanford, and UCLA for academic hematology? No geographic preference. Thanks!

Similar to above. I like the Hutch personally but you'll have plenty of opportunities at any of those places

still a hard time deciding between UAB ,Roswell and VCU . Any thoughts?

Hey guys. Maybe this is just peri-match freaking out but thought I would get your opinions. I just took step 3 a week ago and won’t have the results likely until after Match. I did well on steps 1/2 and not taking step 3 yet never came up around during my interviews. But I’m worried that as programs ranked, they may have taken my lack of a step 3 score as a big negative

Status
Not open for further replies.