2017-2018 heme/onc cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone shed some light on Henry Ford Hospital program

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, most of you guys are fretting about fellowship way too much. I know it's easy for me to say. I'm a PGY6 and have signed a job contract. I posted my proposed rank order at some point and people thought it was nuts in a sense but I chose a program where I thought I'd be happy. It isn't considered the most glamorous program and certainly wasn't the most glamorous on my list but is a NCCN center with a huge referral base. I ultimately ranked based on where I could see myself and chose two places I'd like to go then put my home institution third (which was probably in theory the worst place on my list) feeling like most of fellowship would be self directed learning with push from really good faculty and a lot of indifference otherwise. I have been very happy and feel like a lot of what you get out of fellowship is going to be what you put into it. I knew I wasn't going big time academics and have carved out what I want to do quite nicely. If I had chosen a "bigger name" I doubt I would have been able to do what I'm doing. Don't kid yourself and go somewhere because it'll "open the most doors namewise" if you are planning to do private practice; rather, go somewhere where you can see a lot of patients with bread and butter diseases that you can manage with some autonomy but with a good degree of supervision if needed.

Those are my two cents. I hope that you all get what you want. I know at my program, the interview impression is huge. People are weeded out quickly based on personality if they wouldn't fit in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been fortunate that I have some upcoming interviews at top academic programs. I know they will ask about research plans because, hey, that's what they care most about. I'm honestly undecided at this point but am thinking either clinical trials vs outcomes research in a particular disease. Is saying outcomes research a red flag at research heavy institutions? Do they want everyone (who is not in the lab) doing clinical trials?

I've been fortunate that I have some upcoming interviews at top academic programs. I know they will ask about research plans because, hey, that's what they care most about. I'm honestly undecided at this point but am thinking either clinical trials vs outcomes research in a particular disease. Is saying outcomes research a red flag at research heavy institutions? Do they want everyone (who is not in the lab) doing clinical trials?
The most published, most widely quoted and best known (in the lay press) oncologist at my institution (besides the guy who discovered Gleevec for CML of course) is an outcomes researcher. It's becoming a bigger thing these days. Don't worry about it.

The most published, most widely quoted and best known (in the lay press) oncologist at my institution (besides the guy who discovered Gleevec for CML of course) is an outcomes researcher. It's becoming a bigger thing these days. Don't worry about it.

Thanks gutonc!!

Most of the people hired at my institution lately have focused on outcomes as well. It seems to be a hot topic.

The most awkward interview I had in 2014 was when I told a physician I was interested in drug development and she said "that's the exact opposite of what I'm interested in." She was interested in supportive care. Maybe I should have read her CV but honestly my feeling was that I shouldn't change my interests to match my interviewers.

At this point, I can't wait to get out and see patients and teach some residents in my hybrid PP with teaching role job.

Kind of the opposite to the above question. I don't have a phd but I've spent a fair amount of time in the lab, and, at this point I'm still delusional enough to be thinking about bench research (with the understanding of the difficulty of grant applications, the requirement of several years of post-doc following fellowship, no money whatsoever compared to private practice colleagues).

Given the very high attrition rate of lab-based researchers, does stating an interest in basic science come across as disingenuous in interviews? I just hope I don't come across as a tool.

Last edited:
Kind of the opposite to the above question. I don't have a phd but I've spent a fair amount of time in the lab, and, at this point I'm still delusional enough to be thinking about bench research (with the understanding of the difficulty of grant applications, the requirement of several years of post-doc following fellowship, no money whatsoever compared to private practice colleagues).

Given the very high attrition rate of lab-based researchers, does stating an interest in basic science come across as disingenuous in interviews? I just hope I don't come across as a tool.

It sounds like you can back up your claim which to me is most important. Your productivity to date will be the best marker for those judging your intentions. An area of interest at my program will get you an extra interview added that day with the person most involved in that field if you aren't already scheduled to meet with that person. In my opinion, this has always been a plus for the applicant because, assuming you really aren't a tool, that faculty member often goes to bat for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Me too. Does anyone know how the program is?
Me too, from website looks like small community one with six attending but BMT is done at Dana Farber and staying in Boston where one can have more opportunities.

You're definitely not going to wind up with a career in research...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it if that's what you want.

I don't think it's disingenuous at all, and, as @HOIV stated, as long as your CV backs it up, and you don't come off as hopelessly naive about the research world (which you don't here, so that's a start), it's honestly a plus. Most academic faculty, especially at the big programs, still like to pretend that everyone who graduates from their program will have a K08 or K23 (or whatever the kids are getting these days) and a junior faculty position, as they finish up fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did we hire you?

You did not but it may be a similar model. If I recall correctly, you have a mixed bag of basically private practice with some residents/fellows.

At this point, I can't wait to get out and see patients and teach some residents in my hybrid PP with teaching role job.

Kind of describes my job. you'll love it.
I love seeing patients and getting to know people more than anything else. a little teaching on the side for the residents. A site PI for a few trials. I still do a minimal amount of research with enthusiastic residents in a couple of areas that interest me but without any pressure or deadlines.

And this's from somebody who genuinely believed they were heading for academics. I would've laughed you off if you mentioned the word "private practice" to me going in to fellowship. Then reality hit and I realized that a couple of internal and foundation grants are only a drop in the sea, and by the end of training I was like: you cannot pay me enough to make me do this s*** for life. This is not to discourage anybody from pursuing academics. I'm sure some of you (like 1% or less) will actually be successful. You'll only know if you try.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody willing to switch U-Missouri Columbia interview from 10/19 to 10/20. Appreciate the favor coz of clash with another iv on that date. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks!

Help me rank
I have interviewed at majority of my places( Back to back interviews as I am on MICU next) , so am putting it up possible ranking list . Interested in GU . Don't want to do any bench/lab research . Would most likely go into PP or Academics with some teaching . My list isn't as glorious as other people but any help would be appreciated
1)U of Maryland
2)Roswell Park
3)Karmanos(Have to go)
4)Montefiore
5)UTHSC-Memphis
6)Henry Ford (have to go)
7)U of Louisville(have to go)
8)Oschner
9)Tulane(have to go)
10)Allegheny General
11)SUNY-upstate
!2)Marshall U(possibly not going)

Help me rank
I have interviewed at majority of my places( Back to back interviews as I am on MICU next) , so am putting it up possible ranking list . Interested in GU . Don't want to do any bench/lab research . Would most likely go into PP or Academics with some teaching . My list isn't as glorious as other people but any help would be appreciated
1)U of Maryland
2)Roswell Park
3)Karmanos(Have to go)
4)Montefiore
5)UTHSC-Memphis
6)Henry Ford (have to go)
7)U of Louisville(have to go)
8)Oschner
9)Tulane(have to go)
10)Allegheny General
11)SUNY-upstate
!2)Marshall U(possibly not going)

looks reasonable. I'm not sure any of these places is a GU powerhouse (Sartor at Tulane maybe?) but it seems like you're going to PP so it doesn't really matter. I would rank based on location.

First time here. I would like to ask for your opinion in Duke program. Interested in academics, malignant heme and BMT

looks reasonable. I'm not sure any of these places is a GU powerhouse (Sartor at Tulane maybe?) but it seems like you're going to PP so it doesn't really matter. I would rank based on location.

Visari, you have been instrumental on the forum and your expertise is appreciated. I do have to disagree with this comment though. There’s no real definition of a “powerhouse” and there are a few programs on his/her list that are not worthy of “just ranking them based on location”. It seems like you are also falling prey to “big names”. You can certainly make an academic career out of a few of the places listed. Doesn’t have to be a powerhouse! It takes one good mentor to do that. You don’t need a paper factory place to get to that. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP of the ROL, I can only hope that you didn’t lie at these places. They should be aware of your PP aspirations. Lying to them is lying to yourself.

Visari, you have been instrumental on the forum and your expertise is appreciated. I do have to disagree with this comment though. There’s no real definition of a “powerhouse” and there are a few programs on his/her list that are not worthy of “just ranking them based on location”. It seems like you are also falling prey to “big names”. You can certainly make an academic career out of a few of the places listed. Doesn’t have to be a powerhouse! It takes one good mentor to do that. You don’t need a paper factory place to get to that. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP of the ROL, I can only hope that you didn’t lie at these places. They should be aware of your PP aspirations. Lying to them is lying to yourself.

Feel free to disagree. Although I have to admit I don't quite get your point.
When we say "rank based on location" it doesn't mean that all these places are equally bad and it doesn't matter where the OP goes. It means that for the OP purposes, there are no major differences (at least in the top half of his list) that would make me suggest changing the list around. Nobody is falling "prey" or trying to define what a "powerhouse" is.

Oh, and that part where you make people feel bad because they're not disclosing their PP interests during interviews, it only applies to a certain kind of programs (DFCI or NIH come to mind). Otherwise none of these other programs are expecting to exclusively recruit academically driven people. Applicants know it and programs know it but they pretend that they don't.

Feel free to disagree. Although I have to admit I don't quite get your point.
When we say "rank based on location" it doesn't mean that all these places are equally bad and it doesn't matter where the OP goes. It means that for the OP purposes, there are no major differences (at least in the top half of his list) that would make me suggest changing the list around. Nobody is falling "prey" or trying to define what a "powerhouse" is.

Oh, and that part where you make people feel bad because they're not disclosing their PP interests during interviews, it only applies to a certain kind of programs (DFCI or NIH come to mind). Otherwise none of these other programs are expecting to exclusively recruit academically driven people. Applicants know it and programs know it but they pretend that they don't.
Props to both NW and MSKCC (of the places I interviewed...I'm sure there are others) for being honest about this part. PD at both places said "yeah, about X% of our grads go on to private practice" without any sort of condescencion. It was refreshing.

Props to both NW and MSKCC (of the places I interviewed...I'm sure there are others) for being honest about this part. PD at both places said "yeah, about X% of our grads go on to private practice" without any sort of condescencion. It was refreshing.

I'm surprised. I didn't have any program disclose that information to me without me asking specifically.

You've been part of a selection committee. Have you had applicants tell you they're not really interested in academics and they want to go to practice? and if so where would that put them on the rank list?

Have 6 interviews but every time I go to a place there are so many internal candidates applying for 2 spots and fellows from the same residency program. Feel depressed also keep on thinking why did they even call me :( :(

I'm surprised. I didn't have any program disclose that information to me without me asking specifically.

You've been part of a selection committee. Have you had applicants tell you they're not really interested in academics and they want to go to practice? and if so where would that put them on the rank list?
It would be kind of hypocritical of me, in my essentially PP role, to look down on people who want to do PP. I'm just happy that they're being honest with me, and with themselves.

Have 6 interviews but every time I go to a place there are so many internal candidates applying for 2 spots and fellows from the same residency program. Feel depressed also keep on thinking why did they even call me :( :(
Don't be disheartened in the program I matched they had 3 interview dates, me and my co-fellow interviewed on different dates. Each time there were 2 internal candidates and non of them matched. In my year all fellows are from out side none internal.

I agree there can be some bias but if they have a good candidate (that might be you) that they have an option of taking they will

My 2cents

hope it helps.
*also they called you for a reason*

Don't be disheartened in the program I matched they had 3 interview dates, me and my co-fellow interviewed on different dates. Each time there were 2 internal candidates and non of them matched. In my year all fellows are from out side none internal.

I agree there can be some bias but if they have a good candidate (that might be you) that they have an option of taking they will

My 2cents

hope it helps.
*also they called you for a reason*
Thank you for the support. Just kept on thinking may be they just called as a backup option. I hope something works out. We can just pray and be hopeful

The thing is I would like to go into academics , but being an IMG I have realized that getting an academia job out of fellowship is extremely difficult . Even if somehow I do get a job in an academic centre I don't want to go any amount of bench/lab . Any changes suggested to the list?

The thing is I would like to go into academics , but being an IMG I have realized that getting an academia job out of fellowship is extremely difficult . Even if somehow I do get a job in an academic centre I don't want to go any amount of bench/lab . Any changes suggested to the list?

This is the time to be true to yourself and decide on a path. Judging (and yes, I could be wrong because I don’t really know you) from your posts, you are either going into PP or big group PP (with academic affiliation) where you may still have some exposure to trials and teaching. If you are *genuinely* torn between academics and PP, then your ROL is fine except that I would consider RPCI higher. If what I suspect is true, you should rank according to best exposure to all cancers *throughout* your fellowship. Your top 2-3 are comprehensive cancer centers and will give you a fragmented/limited exposure to all cancers and are designed for academic careers.

Anyone knows if Mayo Arizona offerred dates in October for interviews?

Thomas jefferson reject ...am i only one getting rejects ?

Anyone can switch interview at Baylor Houston on 10/6 and 10/7

Anybody willing to swap Roger Williams or UConn on 10/6 for a later date, please PM me would greatly appreciate your assistance thank you

has anyone interviewed at university of arkansas? just wanted to know what time their interviews usually end.

Anyone can switch date 10/7 Kansas University??

Leaning towards solid tumor and academics. No regional preference and am flexible with city size. I have finished interviewing and these are my rankings thus far. Let me know what you all think !

1. Northwestern
2. University of Chicago
3. University of Minnesota
4. University of Iowa
5. UTSW
6. Indiana University
7. University of Florida
8. University of Arizona
9. MUSC
10. UIC

Leaning towards solid tumor and academics. No regional preference and am flexible with city size. I have finished interviewing and these are my rankings thus far. Let me know what you all think !

1. Northwestern
2. University of Chicago
3. University of Minnesota
4. University of Iowa
5. UTSW
6. Indiana University
7. University of Florida
8. University of Arizona
9. MUSC
10. UIC
If you're set on solid tumors, I'd move UMinn to 5 and slide Iowa and UTSW up. But otherwise I like it. And if you ignore my advice, you'll be fine.

Hi guys. Please help me rank the following programs. I am interested in malignant Hem/BMT and academics. No geographic or weather preference. This is my tentative rank list.

1- Mayo Rochester
2- Columbia
3- NIH
4- Duke
5- Yale
6- University of Chicago
7- University of Maryland
8- UPMC
9- OSU
10- University of Minnesota
11- Baylor
12- Georgetown
13- Montefiore
14- Tufts
15- Methodist hospital

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!

Hi guys. Please help me rank the following programs. I am interested in malignant Hem/BMT and academics. No geographic or weather preference. This is my tentative rank list.

1- Mayo Rochester
2- Columbia
3- NIH
4- Duke
5- Yale
6- University of Chicago
7- University of Maryland
8- UPMC
9- OSU
10- University of Minnesota
11- Baylor
12- Georgetown
13- Montefiore
14- Tufts
15- Methodist hospital

I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you!
UMinn should probably be higher if you're looking for Leukemia/BMT, but it's fine as it is.

what is more important - A renowned mentor in a low tier program or a reputable program? I have identified a mentor who is really good, well published, well connected,active in bench and translational research but is from a relatively low tier program on my list . I know a lot of people change their preferences when they start fellowship so I don't want to limit my options.

what is more important - A renowned mentor in a low tier program or a reputable program? I have identified a mentor who is really good, well published, well connected,active in bench and translational research but is from a relatively low tier program on my list . I know a lot of people change their preferences when they start fellowship so I don't want to limit my options.
What’s the likelihood that person will stick around? We had a guy like that who got quickly hoovered up by a top-ranked place.

What’s the likelihood that person will stick around? We had a guy like that who got quickly hoovered up by a top-ranked place.
That person has been there for more than a decade and so not very likely to move

Status
Not open for further replies.