2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh man, now I'm nervous.. that was my interview date. I haven't heard back
Seems like a good thing for you. It looks like they sent out lots of wait-lists over a broad span of interview dates today.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know what the turn around rate is like for alternate listed to acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
March interviews already getting decisions? I interviewed early March too but haven’t heard anything....this is making me nervous.

does anyone know what the turn around rate is like for alternate listed to acceptance?

Unfortunately they do not provide any of that data to the MSAR

March interviews already getting decisions? I interviewed early March too but haven’t heard anything....this is making me nervous.

Maybe it’s a good sign that you missed what seemed like a mass waitlisting day!

Those of you who got put on the alternate list this week, did you guys all get two different emails about the alternate list update?

Are they still interviewing? Portal says I’m on hold still and that they end at the end of March.

Unfortunately they do not provide any of that data to the MSAR

Maybe it’s a good sign that you missed what seemed like a mass waitlisting day!
While that may be true, there was also a reported acceptance on SDN yesterday too... ‍♀️

Does anyone know when orientation begins and when classes start?

Has anyone else gotten a portal change post-II? It changed from something about thanking me for interviewing and that the wait could take up to 8 weeks. It recently changed to "Thank you so much for taking the time to visit The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences and interview with us! The Committee on Admissions carefully and judiciously reviews files and as such we humbly appreciate your patience during this process and will be in contact with you once a decision is made."

I am 2 1/2 weeks post interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else gotten a portal change post-II? It changed from something about thanking me for interviewing and that the wait could take up to 8 weeks. It recently changed to "Thank you so much for taking the time to visit The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences and interview with us! The Committee on Admissions carefully and judiciously reviews files and as such we humbly appreciate your patience during this process and will be in contact with you once a decision is made."

Mine also changed to that! My guess is that since they're getting decisions out faster, they probably decided to take that part out.

They changed mine around week 2 also but I didn't hear back for 8 weeks

I'm almost 4 weeks out from my interview, honestly I don't recall what mine said initially/if there's been a change but I have the same status you currently do.

what exactly is the 'second look day'?
For accepted students, they sent out an email with a small description. Its basically day where you learn more about the school, which helps when making final decisions on which school you want to attend. GW has a fancy cocktail party at the end too where you mingle with alumni. It sounds swanky.:highfive:

Trying not to be neurotic but getting more nervous every day that I don't hear anything. Interviewed March 1st, any chance for an acceptance still? I feel like at this point it's waitlist or rejection :/

Reactions: 1 users
What's the latest that they will notify those who have interviewed of their decision? Trying to stay sane while waiting :bang:

What's the latest that they will notify those who have interviewed of their decision? Trying to stay sane while waiting :bang:

So actually, I just called to see if there are still acceptances left. I was told there definitely are, and that the admissions committee was out this week because of Holy Week. That makes me feel a lot better because it seemed like on last year's GW thread this was a big week for them, but it makes sense now that nothing has gone out. Hang in there guys!

Reactions: 3 users
So actually, I just called to see if there are still acceptances left. I was told there definitely are, and that the admissions committee was out this week because of Holy Week. That makes me feel a lot better because it seemed like on last year's GW thread this was a big week for them, but it makes sense now that nothing has gone out. Hang in there guys!
Thanks so much for reaching out to them! I feel a little more sane now.

You are the real MVP.

Have any of the accepted students still stalking this page heard anything about scholarships yet? (not financial aid)

Have any of the accepted students still stalking this page heard anything about scholarships yet? (not financial aid)

Do you think the school offers scholarships separate from the financial aid package? I always thought they would come together since scholarship money is a factor when calculating need.

I do know they have that one Adopt a Doc scholarship that opens in the spring semester...

I was offered a scholarship a few weeks after my "financial aid package" (only loans). I emailed the financial aid office after getting the package to ask about scholarships, they said the merit scholarships are given out by the admissions committee so that's why they come separately. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I was offered a scholarship a few weeks after my "financial aid package" (only loans). I emailed the financial aid office after getting the package to ask about scholarships, they said the merit scholarships are given out by the admissions committee so that's why they come separately. Hope this helps!

Thank god for your response. I got my financial aid package today and saw that I only got loans and $0 in scholarships/grants.... Was two seconds from just outright withdrawing my acceptance cause of that lovely $84k estimated COA

Hoping this applies to those of us on the waitlist as well...

Reactions: 2 users
Just to make sure, after you submit the update to remain on the alternate list through the online portal, you receive a automatic confirmation that your update will be added to your file. After that, you can assume that you're going to remain as part of the alternate list, and you do not receive a separate confirmation that you're still on the alternate list?

Thank god for your response. I got my financial aid package today and saw that I only got loans and $0 in scholarships/grants.... Was two seconds from just outright withdrawing my acceptance cause of that lovely $84k estimated COA
Yuppppp same it’s a killer

lmao same holy crap praying for that scholarship. didn't even realize that my financial aid package was given, they never sent me an e-mail. had to login and see myself

Last edited:
Anybody know the last date of interviews?

Also Alt listed this morning. Interviewed March 8-9ish.
According to someone else, the adcoms didnt meet last week due to Holy Week, so I can only assume that my decision was made almost 2 weeks ago. :/ I'm a bit bummed because I loved this school so much. Oh well, hoping for the best!

Also Alt listed this morning. Interviewed March 8-9ish.
According to someone else, the adcoms didnt meet last week due to Holy Week, so I can only assume that my decision was made almost 2 weeks ago. :/ I'm a bit bummed because I loved this school so much. Oh well, hoping for the best!
I interviewed around the same time and Haven’t heard anything back yet. This is nerve racking.

What do we say in our "statement of interest" for the alternate list confirmation? I've already written like 3 letters of interest... lol

What do we say in our "statement of interest" for the alternate list confirmation? I've already written like 3 letters of interest... lol
Sameeee! I really struggled on how to make this statement of interest different from the 3 I submitted previously.

Sameeee! I really struggled on how to make this statement of interest different from the 3 I submitted previously.
I had the same issue, I think just maintaining interest consistently is key.

Got an email about 10 mins ago - alternate list. Interviewed 3/1

Alternate list. Interviewed 3/9.

Remember everyone, GW pulls a good amount off the alternate list! I know a good amount of people in my class that got pulled off. They don't really pull people off it till late may/early June, so it'll be a wait. It seemed like last year, all the later interviews became alternates because they wanted to be more specific with how they wanted the class to look. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users