2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the e-mail asking to confirm our place on the WL. I'm withdrawing from the WL since I got into my top choice and definitely plan on matriculating there. Best to make it fair to the people who are still waiting on an acceptance somewhere. Good luck to everyone!
+1 Good luck guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I received my package already. No merit money though. I wasn't sure if merit stuff comes out later?

Just kidding, I just got mine too. Woof, this place is just so expensive.

Did you guys get an email with your financial aid package? I've been unable to log on their system using my GWID yet to check about a package.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email with your financial aid package? I've been unable to log on their system using my GWID yet to check about a package.
They never emailed me
I had to login into GWeb. Its an awful site.

I received my package already. No merit money though. I wasn't sure if merit stuff comes out later?

School estimates +80,000 per year in the financial aid package (total costs including 15,000 a year for housing, etc. etc.)

Do you guys know approximately how much money they budget for monthly rent? (separate from other costs like transportation)
@wv_philly was that 15,000 for rent alone or for all housing related expenses?

I'm trying to come up with a cost estimate while I'm waiting.

I'm also withdrawing from the waitlist. Best of luck, fam!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys know approximately how much money they budget for monthly rent? (separate from other costs like transportation)

From students I spoke to at the school/knowledge of cost of living in the area, rent is upwards of 1.2k in the area (many students live in Foggy Bottom near Ross Hall) but it might be cheaper in Arlington/other outside counties. So, it depends on where you live but 15,000 could just be rent for a year. The students I spoke to lived in Foggy Bottom to save time (=money in medical school) even though it was pricier.

Reactions: 1 user

Cost of Attendance
Books and Supplies
$1,289.00

Commuting Allowance
$1,080.00

Fees
$513.00

Health Insurance
$2,900.00

Instruments
$250.00

Personal Expenses
$1,800.00

Room and Board
$15,210.00

Transportation Allowance
$800.00

Tuition
$60,250.00

Total:
$84,092.00

Reactions: 2 users
Cost of Attendance
Books and Supplies
$1,289.00

Commuting Allowance
$1,080.00

Fees
$513.00

Health Insurance
$2,900.00

Instruments
$250.00

Personal Expenses
$1,800.00

Room and Board
$15,210.00

Transportation Allowance
$800.00

Tuition
$60,250.00

Total:
$84,092.00

What's the difference between commuting and transportation?

What's the difference between commuting and transportation?
Great question! I was wondering this and I think commuting is the budget for traveling to and from school, while transportation is for going to and from the city ( holidays, special occasions)

I sent multiple updates and LOIs after being waitlisted. I do believe they helped as they were very sincere and captured why I wanted to be at GW specifically.

I've talked to a couple of classmates who came off the waitlist. All of them had some correspondence with the school post waitlist, even to tell them they were accepted elsewhere and wanted to go to GW instead.

Would really good job positions also be something to note in an update or correspondence or should it be restricted to schools you've been accepted to?

Would really good job positions also be something to note in an update or correspondence or should it be restricted to schools you've been accepted to?
It's really your call, I definitely kept them up to date on new projects and positions I was pursuing during the app cycle, and that helped a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really your call, I definitely kept them up to date on new projects and positions I was pursuing during the app cycle, and that helped a lot!
I haven't heard back yet but I wanted to update them, did you send emails/upload multiple LOI's? I already uploaded a letter of intent to attend and some updates about publications

Exactly 8 months ago I made these posts regarding GWU. I honestly knew little to nothing about this school prior but after some research absolutely fell in love. I am now proud to say I just woke up to an acceptance email!!! Interviewed early Feb!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!

Do you mind me asking when in February you interviewed??

Yeah. I was looking at 2017 last night. This year they did pretty well!
Maybe I'm just more ignorant than the average pre-med, but how do you guys already know about what residency programs are better than others in which fields?

look at the Match Day data for "US Allopathic Seniors."

Is anyone still on hold for re-review, and does anyone know the last interview date? It does say that they interview through March, so I'm not too optimistic, but I can still hope.

They're requesting a statement of interest to stay on the waitlist. How long should that be? Would it be excessive to make it a few paragraphs?

Is anyone still on hold for re-review, and does anyone know the last interview date? It does say that they interview through March, so I'm not too optimistic, but I can still hope.
I am still. Idk if they are behind or not but I’ll just pretend like the end of March thing still stands.

Are they still giving out acceptances to those post-II still waiting? I interviewed 1/26 and I thought they had to accept their full class size by the 15th or something?

Are they still giving out acceptances to those post-II still waiting? I interviewed 1/26 and I thought they had to accept their full class size by the 15th or something?

Why the 15th? Is there an AAMC rule for that or something?

Why the 15th? Is there an AAMC rule for that or something?
From AAMC Traffic Rules: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

According to gyngyn, that is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Also, @dr.asp that means they’ve issued that number of acceptances, but not necessarily that that number of people have committed to the class (some may have withdrawn their acceptances later, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
According to gyngyn, that is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Also, @dr.asp that means they’ve issued that number of acceptances, but not necessarily that that number of people have committed to the class (some may have withdrawn their acceptances later, etc.)
You're right, just hearing people after my II date hearing back is nerve-wracking...hoping for the best!

Could anyone who goes here shed some light on why GW's number of students matching surgical specialties are so low? It seems like there's a ton of movement into IM residencies. Is that a cultural thing?

Could anyone who goes here shed some light on why GW's number of students matching surgical specialties are so low? It seems like there's a ton of movement into IM residencies. Is that a cultural thing?

Seems like the thing with most US med schools

IM is the gateway to a lot of specialties

Anyone else who interviewed in January/early February waiting to hear back?

Accepted this morning! Interviewed February 9th. MCAT 511, GPA 3.6 w/ upward trend, URM, unique volunteer and work experience.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted this morning! Interviewed February 9th. MCAT 511, GPA 3.6 w/ upward trend, URM, unique volunteer and work experience.
Congrats!! How did they contact you about the acceptance? call? email? portal?

Congrats!! How did they contact you about the acceptance? call? email? portal?
I received a really short email saying I got in and to expect an email shortly with the acceptance packet.

Does anyone know when their waitlist starts moving significantly? Beginning of May?

Alternate list this afternoon after interviewing earlier this month

So sorry to hear this news.. what date did you interview? I’m curious bc I interviewed last month and haven’t heard anything

March 2. If I recall correctly, GW hardly rejects people, and nearly all non-acceptances are placed in the alternate pool.
(Btw, whoever penned the email had a little too much fun, describing the pool as "fluid & organic," and "viable" until late July lol)

Reactions: 2 users
March 2. If I recall correctly, GW hardly rejects people, and nearly all non-acceptances are placed in the alternate pool.
(Btw, whoever penned the email had a little too much fun, describing the pool as "fluid & organic," and "viable" until late July lol)
I think a lot of people withdraw from the waitlist too, I got the email today 8 weeks post-II. Super annoyed they couldn't just tell me earlier.

I don't understand how they can have such a long waitlist :eyebrow:

Yeah I thought describing the waitlist as “organic” was pretty quirky :whistle: