2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering about that too. The site doesn't say anything about interviews–were there in the past?

Yep. There is an "Olin Fellowship Finalists' Weekend" for 2016 on the calendar but nothing for this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. There is an "Olin Fellowship Finalists' Weekend" for 2016 on the calendar but nothing for this year.
Maybe someone can contact them and ask if they are holding a finalists weekend this year?

When did WashU say they would have merit scholarships (other than Olin) decisions made?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did WashU say they would have merit scholarships (other than Olin) decisions made?

I thought those were typically awarded alongside one's acceptance, but I could be wrong.

I thought those were typically awarded alongside one's acceptance, but I could be wrong.

When I was interviewing they gave us a general date for scholarships after acceptances. I just can't remember it.

When I was interviewing they gave us a general date for scholarships after acceptances. I just can't remember it.
If that's merit and need-based, then I'm sure I'm just mixing up Wash U with other schools. Hard to keep some things straight...

Do you know what scholarships are based on? (stats, holistic review, interview performance, or something else?)
By reputation they like to throw money at people with high stats + something extra. To anyone wondering if they are in the running it might be useful to look at your acceptance turnaround time. The people last year that got the schollys got their admits super fast like 2 weeks after their interview day

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if I can submit FAFSA pre-acceptance?

Does anyone know if I can submit FAFSA pre-acceptance?
Pretty sure you can, I had several schools that don't release decisions until March tell me to make sure and submit it ASAP. All it involves is adding the school code + sending it.

Is anyone else having trouble signing in to WashU's financial aid site?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble signing in to WashU's financial aid site?
I frequently get some kind of generic error page after trying to sign in. I've found that after you attempt the sign in and get the error, deleting the URL after the .edu part and hitting enter lets you in

Last edited:
Good luck, everyone. I guess today is the last day WashU gives out acceptances before the big waitlist and rejects in late March.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck, everyone. I guess today is the last day WashU gives out acceptances before the big waitlist and rejects in late March.
What. I haven't even interviewed yet. Lol.

So if we haven't been accepted by the end of February, we're essentially waitlisted, then?

There were people accepted Feb 29th last year, a monday. So maybe the system is to send out on Thursdays + the end of Feb.
I could deal with a one day turnaround haha. Or am I interviewing for the waitlist?

So if we haven't been accepted by the end of February, we're essentially waitlisted, then?
I think that should at least be the default expectation , though a WL at WashU is not at all a death sentence. They pull a huge chunk of their class every year off WL

I could deal with a one day turnaround haha. Or am I interviewing for the waitlist?

Meh I wouldn't go in with that perspective. No way they would interview you if they weren't interested in offering you an acceptance. That could come off the WL or just as a direct acceptance, but either way they aren't interviewing you if they're not interested in you.

There were people accepted Feb 29th last year, a monday. So maybe the system is to send out on Thursdays + the end of Feb.
Oops. I guess I should say waitlist for people who interviewed earlier in the cycle. Or does anyone know of anybody who got accepted around this time who interviewed in the fall? ><

Accepted tonight...interviewed late october

Reactions: 7 users
But you're Picard AND Professor X! That's gotta count for something, right?

Explored strange new worlds, encountered new life and new civilizations, boldly went where no one had gone before, still gonna get WL'd :( Gets more competitive every year I guess.

Accepted tonight...interviewed late october

:eek::eek:

Keeping hope alive!

When you didn't apply for Olin and are currently kicking youself...but there is solace in the fact that the scholarships usually go to the most impressive people with quick turnarounds

I wish there were scholarships for being on a record number of waitlists because that's the only merit money I'm in contention for at this point.

Reactions: 6 users
I wish there were scholarships for being on a record number of waitlists because that's the only merit money I'm in contention for at this point.
A waitlist is hope. I'm getting radio silence from WashU and Baylor.

So are we not still expecting a flood of acceptances soon? Just a trickle then a ton of wl and r?

So are we not still expecting a flood of acceptances soon? Just a trickle then a ton of wl and r?
Don't quote me on this but unfortunately I think in March the only things that go out are WL and R. But then the WL has tons of motion (Schools like Harvard and Penn will be releasing all decisions and stealing lots of people away in March, Hopkins releases a big batch too, many other schools send out their merit packages to recruit, etc).

Correction: Per last year thread there were a couple late interviewers admitted in mid-March and then a massive WL email on March 31

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A waitlist is hope. I'm getting radio silence from WashU and Baylor.

I mean, silence means not yet an acceptance or rejection, and you have to wait to find out, so it basically is a waitlist.

Don't quote me on this but unfortunately I think in March the only things that go out are WL and R. But then the WL has tons of motion (Schools like Harvard and Penn will be releasing all decisions and stealing lots of people away in March, Hopkins releases a big batch too, many other schools send out their merit packages to recruit, etc).

Correction: Per last year thread there were a couple late interviewers admitted in mid-March and then a massive WL email on March 31

What qualifies as a late interview, I wonder? February?

What qualifies as a late interview, I wonder? February?
That would be my guess, someone earlier today commented about an interview in the next few days, I imagine if he got accepted they'd tell him middle March!

That would be my guess, someone earlier today commented about an interview in the next few days, I imagine if he got accepted they'd tell him middle March!

I was just wondering since I'm a bit on the fence, having interviewed on the first or second of this month. I guess I'll find out in due time... Just getting antsy to get some acceptances in.

I was just wondering since I'm a bit on the fence, having interviewed on the first or second of this month. I guess I'll find out in due time... Just getting antsy to get some acceptances in.
I wouldn't lose hope for a couple more weeks yet ! (Not to mention even the WL here is far from hopeless)

WashU is my SO's #1 choice so if I'm heading for a waitlist, I don't think I'd stick around to come off it.

Is the big movement not until May?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I mean, silence means not yet an acceptance or rejection, and you have to wait to find out, so it basically is a waitlist.
A waitlist is slightly better since it means that you've not been rejected at a point where some people have started being rejected. I'd toast a waitlist from WashU with a nice Long Island Iced Tea.

WashU is my SO's #1 choice so if I'm heading for a waitlist, I don't think I'd stick around to come off it.
Wait what? Wouldn't it make a ton of sense to stay on the waitlist and hopefully go with your SO to top choice?

Is the big movement not until May?
I think April will have a good amount due to early withdraws from people getting into Harvard/Penn/Hopkins that like those best or getting merit packages elsewhere. But traffic day will certainly have a bunch of WL motion around it too!

A waitlist is slightly better since it means that you've not been rejected at a point where some people have started being rejected. I'd toast a waitlist from WashU with a nice Long Island Iced Tea.
why not sweet tea from St. Louis?

Yeah, I get that. As someone once said, waiting is the hardest part...

Wait what? Wouldn't it make a ton of sense to stay on the waitlist and hopefully go with your SO to top choice?

I think April will have a good amount due to early withdraws from people getting into Harvard/Penn/Hopkins that like those best or getting merit packages elsewhere. But traffic day will certainly have a bunch of WL motion around it too!

Sorry reading that back I realize it didn't sound right. I was trying to be brief but it didn't make sense lol

UCSF is my #1 and I'm already accepted there, but WashU is where my SO would like to move. (He isn't in the app cycle, he likes St. Louis better for our family). If we were deciding between them at the same time, I'd give his preference more weight and would likely go to WashU over my own #1 because the COL. But if it's a waitlist and I have to stick around a few months with fingers crossed, it's not really worth it. Plus I'll most likely go JMP which starts in June, so would be moving early May.

Sorry reading that back I realize it didn't sound right. I was trying to be brief but it didn't make sense lol

UCSF is my #1 and I'm already accepted there, but WashU is where my SO would like to move. (He isn't in the app cycle, he likes St. Louis better for our family). If we were deciding between them at the same time, I'd give his preference more weight and would likely go to WashU over my own #1 because the COL. But if it's a waitlist and I have to stick around a few months with fingers crossed, it's not really worth it. Plus I'll most likely go JMP which starts in June, so would be moving early May.

That makes so much more sense; I was curious what you meant in the original comment, too.

I don't see how I could possibly get accepted at this point having interviewed in November
Off the waitlist! Seriously like a third of the class or something is from the WL each year