2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No news from Alaska yet on my end here.
Me Neither :( But I'm assuming they usually call by the end of the business day hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Me Neither :( But I'm assuming they usually call by the end of the business day hours?

Yeah, I guess it's not too late in the day yet. How late do you think they could be calling? tbh I'm relieved that nobody has said they got the call yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I guess it's not too late in the day yet. How late do you think they could be calling? tbh I'm relieved that nobody has said they got the call yet.
I don't know :( Maybe we just didn't get in

I don't know :( Maybe we just didn't get in

Yeah I heard that a call would be around 1pm AK time, so it's looking like people who were accepted are just out celebrating instead of reading SDN. I guess that there's still possible wait-list status to look forward to on Monday:xf:

But what is WWAMI's wait-list like for Alaska, like 5 people?

is there advantage or disadvantage for applicants who graduated from UW and apply UWSOM?

No advantage coming from UW. I mean, it has to be like that. UW is one of the most popular premed schools out there in terms of applicants that are applying to medical school. Somewhere between one in four to five get in here, but the same ratio holds true for all instate schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No advantage coming from UW. I mean, it has to be like that. UW is one of the most popular premed schools out there in terms of applicants that are applying to medical school.

Which is odd considering how little support for pre-meds there

Reactions: 1 user
Which is odd considering how little support for pre-meds there

Really? I felt there was a lot of support - Julie and the other advisors were great, and our chapter of AED is one of the largest in the country, and there was MAPS, health consortium, etc.

The one thing is the lack of a committee to do letter packets, that would have made things a lot easier

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Really? I felt there was a lot of support - Julie and the other advisors were great, and our chapter of AED is one of the largest in the country, and there was MAPS, health consortium, etc.

The one thing is the lack of a committee to do letter packets, that would have made things a lot easier

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
UW doesn't have pre med advisors. Are you talking bio dept Julie?

Uw does have pre Med advisors including Julie being one of them. I've probably met with all of them and can't say they are all "great." One I actually reported to the dean because he is just rude and demeaning

Members don't see this ad :)

No, Julie Lancour (who I believe since I graduated has switch to general advising) - there was also Dan (who I only worked with a little) and another. Most of the last 4 years they've had at least 3 premed advisors on staff.

There is weekly premed drop in, LOR sessions, app review sessions, etc...all by the advising department, outside of the schools chapters of AED, AMSA, MAPS, health consortium.

As a premed did you never google "UW premed advising" or similar? I'm just surprised you didn't know about this

https://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/at-the-uw/pre-health-advising/fields/medicine/

Uw does have pre Med advisors including Julie being one of them. I've probably met with all of them and can't say they are all "great." One I actually reported to the dean because he is just rude and demeaning

I'm assuming Dan (since everyone else was female)? That's surprising to hear - I had nothing but positive interactions with him, although limited as I mostly worked with Julie and just got him advice when I wanted a second opinion.

So weird... I was told by my OMA and bio advisors that there was zero pre med advising. Either I went before that option was available or they were just flat out wrong.

I wasn't really into pre med orgs because I couldn't really fit in with the population.

I'm assuming Dan (since everyone else was female)? That's surprising to hear - I had nothing but positive interactions with him, although limited as I mostly worked with Julie and just got him advice when I wanted a second opinion.

Yup not a fan! He was actually nice during my first/second interaction but not so much afterwards

WWAMI E2015 here, just an experience with the new curriculum I though could be valuable. Overall it's come together pretty well. Micro is a little rough, but nothing a little Sketchy couldn't fix. The bottom line, we are taking Step 1 up to six months earlier than other schools, and our preliminary scores are still on-par nationally. Great job on the didactic side. That being said...

As for third year, UW is lacking right now in terms of "being-on-the-ball"-ness. Thanks to the new clerkship setup, they are VERY MUCH an unplanned, seat-of-the-pants, no-one-has-any-answers-more-than-a-month-ahead-of-time, and let-me-pass-the-buck-to-someone-else type of program right now. If you do choose to join WWAMI, or esp. their rural track (TRUST), assume you can hang your hat on NOTHING any of the faculty/deans promise about your schedules, plans, or logistics for anything more than 3 weeks down the academic calendar, unless it is in writing. Even then the administration can be slippery once you've signed your promissory notes and they have your money. Just stay sharp and optimistic, assume you're entitled to nothing and you won't be disappointed when, per se, they tell you 8 weeks before clerkships that your plans are different, and then a week later that due to more changes in policy, everything is OOP and you're tasked with asking FA for another cool $10K, all this four weeks before Step 1.

Ahem.

Anyway, it's a good program. Just don't expect too much organizational awareness of what's actually going on, and be prepared to work HARD. It's a fast program for sure. Good luck on the interview season, and on the next steps for all!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
great post- good luck on step 1 and rotations coming up!

Last edited:
Not to be neurotic or anything - but the excoms have been on the third Wednesday/Thursday of every month, sans the first one at the end of Oct. SUC's have gone out the following Monday just before two pm...there's a pattern! - just noticed as I was tidying up my email. So if I was a betting man, I'd put the next one at the 16th or 17th.

Don't worry - I'm not type A at all, and especially not when my insomnia is keeping me up.

Reactions: 1 users
By 'fast program' do you mean the condensed curriculum and early step 1 date? Do you feel that more time would be useful?

The new curriculum really does move fast, in that it's 4-5mo shorter than previous. Didactic period began in Fall 2015, was completed Dec 2016, and we take Step 1 no later than Mar 1, while other timetables put Step 1 around June, maybe July. With the condensation of the curriculum we start clerkships in March and get a lot more clinical time, but we spent three weeks for all of Heme-Onc; there's no better word than fast... :)
and in hindsight, I think we're better for it. The first lap through this material is a blur anyway, so having three months of dedicated board prep at the end is going great if you take it seriously. At least, that's how it looks from this end of the big test.

Reactions: 4 users
Interview was hard. I don't think I was ready for that... Did anyone else feel this way?

Interview was hard. I don't think I was ready for that... Did anyone else feel this way?

What is bothering me is how neutral the interviewers were. I found it difficult to tell if they liked or hated me haha. Hoping for the best!

Has anyone gotten the mail to set up their UW student ID? I thought it should have come by now?

Has anyone gotten the mail to set up their UW student ID? I thought it should have come by now?
Nope, although their website said the first batch goes out in Feb, so could be that they haven't sent it yet!

Did you read about what to expect in the interview on the UW website? That was helpful for me. I never really know what to think after an interview is over. I had one where I was completely sleep deprived because of time change and had not had the opportunity to get coffee. My interviewer also grilled me. My answers didn't even make sense to me. But somehow I still ended up on the alternate list instead of a rejection.

What is bothering me is how neutral the interviewers were. I found it difficult to tell if they liked or hated me haha. Hoping for the best!

That is not surprising. Doctors today are trained to not show any emotion that may hamper doctor-patient communication or may come off as unempathetic. So it is not surprising that they can maintain a poker face.
I felt the same way about my main interviewer.

It didn't actually feel like a lightning session for me, but I do wonder how they were able to get a sense of me as a person after just asking a narrow range of questions.

And I did look at the website but it didn't necessarily help much with preparing for the types of questions I was asked today. I definitely liked the MMI format better where I got to think about a question for a couple minutes before answering. I guess I just suck at thinking on my feet haha.

Also, really? They train doctors to not show any emotions? That seems pretty robotic to me. And kinda worrisome because that's now how I presented myself during the role play...

It didn't actually feel like a lightning session for me, but I do wonder how they were able to get a sense of me as a person after just asking a narrow range of questions.

And I did look at the website but it didn't necessarily help much with preparing for the types of questions I was asked today. I definitely liked the MMI format better where I got to think about a question for a couple minutes before answering. I guess I just suck at thinking on my feet haha.

Also, really? They train doctors to not show any emotions? That seems pretty robotic to me. And kinda worrisome because that's now how I presented myself during the role play...

They definitely don't train doctors to not show any emotion. If anything I was overly compassionate to the point where I accidentally patted my interviewer on the knee during the role play (awful do not do this omg I don't even know) and was accepted. Of course showing compassion is always a good thing especially in medicine.

They definitely don't train doctors to not show any emotion. If anything I was overly compassionate to the point where I accidentally patted my interviewer on the knee during the role play (awful do not do this omg I don't even know) and was accepted. Of course showing compassion is always a good thing especially in medicine.

Emotion that may impair doctor patient communication. Yes you are likely advised to show compassion and empathy. But there are a wide range of emotions, including ones that may make your patient feel uncomfortable and unwilling to share information.

Emotion that may impair doctor patient communication. Yes you are likely advised to show compassion and empathy. But there are a wide range of emotions, including ones that may make your patient feel uncomfortable and unwilling to share information.

I just needed to clarify for the other person who was afraid they would get rejected for showing compassion which is very false.

Hahaha oh my gosh this made my morning

Their questions are designed to discover specific things about you such as: do you have a basic knowledge of the healthcare system, will you be good at the differential diagnosis rather than jumping to what seems like the obvious conclusion (and they might ask you some seemingly strange questions to get at this one), do you have the drive and tools to make it through a very difficult path towards your career, can you interact with patients with empathy, can you think on your feet, etc. From my experience last year, some other schools spent the whole interview asking me about myself, my experiences, research, and stuff that I had already covered pretty thoroughly on my applications.

I just had my II on Feb 7th. I realized after the fact that they didn't say much about the actual interview and admissions process. Every other school I've interviewed at talked about what happens after the interview and how they rank you or make a final decision and how long it would take. No one mentioned any of this. Finding this odd now. Any of you out there who already interviewed and had decisions want to share any insight? Thanks

I just had my II on Feb 7th. I realized after the fact that they didn't say much about the actual interview and admissions process. Every other school I've interviewed at talked about what happens after the interview and how they rank you or make a final decision and how long it would take. No one mentioned any of this. Finding this odd now. Any of you out there who already interviewed and had decisions want to share any insight? Thanks

From what I understand (based off previous years threads and talking to people at the interview) we'll find out very soon if we're either accepted into TRUST, not accepted to TRUST but still under consideration for the regular pool, or rejected. Last year people got calls the Friday after they interviewed about being accepted into TRUST. So, today could possibly be a very interesting day!

There is some info on the admissions website. I believe most people are SUCed till March. The admissions committee will make final decisions about all applicants between March 15th and March 31. I also believe there is hardly any waitlist movement at UW (please correct me if I am wrong).

There is some info on the admissions website. I believe most people are SUCed till March. The admissions committee will make final decisions about all applicants between March 15th and March 31. I also believe there is hardly any waitlist movement at UW (please correct me if I am wrong).

Last year's thread had a nice chart about waitlist movement from babs: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ity-of-washington-application-thread.1135767/

From what I understand (based off previous years threads and talking to people at the interview) we'll find out very soon if we're either accepted into TRUST, not accepted to TRUST but still under consideration for the regular pool, or rejected. Last year people got calls the Friday after they interviewed about being accepted into TRUST. So, today could possibly be a very interesting day!

I forgot to mention I'm an out of state applicant. So I don't think TRUST applies to me.

So I guess it's waiting at the gate for a flight to my next interview when my brain starts to panic about the UW interview I did in December. That's healthy.

Any out of region-ers get the big acceptance call yet?

I got the phone call today!!! Accepted to TRUST and UWSOM, I'm so freaking excited!

Reactions: 12 users
I got the phone call today!!! Accepted to TRUST and UWSOM, I'm so freaking excited!

Was it from a 206 number? When I tried to call back it was a "UW Medicine" directory. What does that mean? I interviewed for TRUST also. CONGRATS! :)

No emails today...the meeting may be this week (like someone said) for the Seattle folks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users