2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens if you missed their call?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You lose your acceptance! Kidding... They try to call later, and if they still can't reach of you, they just send an email.

Members don't see this ad.

bored-lonely-nicklodeon-sponge-bob-spongebob-Favim.com-235614.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Try having to wait on 4 schools all doing the same thing. It's. So. Brutal.

These questions are pointless, to be sure, but my curiosity is strong:

Did anyone who interviewed in January/February get accepted (other than those in Trust)? Sounds like there were some rejections, and a plenty of SUCs (myself included).

Also, does anybody have info on the number of people that are chosen from the SUC pool? For instance, is it a majority of the matriculants?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I had a quick question, I'm an OOR that will be applying next year due to connections at the school. I was wondering why there was such a low OOR acceptance/matriculation rate if nearly 50%+ complete their residency out of the WWAMI region? I know that they are very large on accepting students in the WWAMI region. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I had a quick question, I'm an OOR that will be applying next year due to connections at the school. I was wondering why there was such a low OOR acceptance/matriculation rate if nearly 50%+ complete their residency out of the WWAMI region? I know that they are very large on accepting students in the WWAMI region. Thanks!

B/c it's mandated by the state government since WA tax dollars go to the school--- they expect most of the class to come from WA. Also, the idea is that WA residents will eventually come back and practice in WA, even if their residency is somewhere else.

B/c it's mandated by the state government since WA tax dollars go to the school--- they expect most of the class to come from WA. Also, the idea is that WA residents will eventually come back and practice in WA, even if their residency is somewhere else.

This is why most state schools overwhelmingly take in-state students, UW isn't really an exception.

Reactions: 1 users
This [tax dollars going to the school is] why most state schools overwhelmingly take in-state students

Just to expand on this a tiny bit, because I consider myself reasonably well informed and I honestly had no idea the extent to which medical student education is subsidized (at least in WA). Maybe everyone else knows these numbers already, but I was out of the loop.

At our UW interview day a faculty member was addressing a question (about ID students getting precedence over WA students for ID WRITE rotations) and mentioned state subsidization; specifically he said the state spends $40k per student per year on each UWSOM matriculant in WA. Suddenly the tuition costs at some of the private schools I've applied to didn't seem so crazy.

A week ago WSU achieved accreditation from NWCCU, and in the article on their site they mention requesting $10.8M from the state for 2017-2019 for the first year's class (60 students) and the second year's class (another 60). By my math this works out to 180 person years (charter class x 2 years + second class x 1 year) ... which means $60k per student. Verifying the math, I see the $60k figure appears in a 2014 news article, along with a quote from a UW regent saying $40k is accurate for the amount of state support that goes to each UWSOM student.

I bring these numbers up not to compare them, but to say that whether $40k or $60k, I didn't realize how extensively med-school was locally subsidized. At least for me I think this information has an effect of helping to put things in perspective as far as the notion of professionalism and public service.

Reactions: 4 users
Just to expand on this a tiny bit, because I consider myself reasonably well informed and I honestly had no idea the extent to which medical student education is subsidized (at least in WA). Maybe everyone else knows these numbers already, but I was out of the loop.

At our UW interview day a faculty member was addressing a question (about ID students getting precedence over WA students for ID WRITE rotations) and mentioned state subsidization; specifically he said the state spends $40k per student per year on each UWSOM matriculant in WA. Suddenly the tuition costs at some of the private schools I've applied to didn't seem so crazy.

A week ago WSU achieved accreditation from NWCCU, and in the article on their site they mention requesting $10.8M from the state for 2017-2019 for the first year's class (60 students) and the second year's class (another 60). By my math this works out to 180 person years (charter class x 2 years + second class x 1 year) ... which means $60k per student. Verifying the math, I see the $60k figure appears in a 2014 news article, along with a quote from a UW regent saying $40k is accurate for the amount of state support that goes to each UWSOM student.

I bring these numbers up not to compare them, but to say that whether $40k or $60k, I didn't realize how extensively med-school was locally subsidized. At least for me I think this information has an effect of helping to put things in perspective as far as the notion of professionalism and public service.
In global health classes I took they explained that this is the reason that foreign imported physicians are so much cheaper on the US system then to train doctors locally. If states don't have to pay for training they save a bunch, and can fill the physician shortage.

Problem is this leaves those places the doctors come from without much needed health professionals and keeps med school spots here in the US so low. Also keeps physicians salary higher so (conspiracy theory here) the AMA keeps spots few and demand high.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the Acceptance call at 3:00 pm. Idaho applicant interviewed March 1st.

Reactions: 6 users
Idaho Student- Just got placed on alternate list.

As part of thier stats on the adm website, they said that 10 Idaho alternates were accepted last year with "5 additional seats approved by the Legislature post-interview season"

Is there any way of knowing if Idaho is planning on adding more seat again this year?

Just got the email that I am on the alternate list. #2. UW is definitely my top choice. So close, yet so far away... :(

Just got the email that I am on the alternate list. #2. UW is definitely my top choice. So close, yet so far away... :(
I just got listed as alternate #1 for Idaho. I'm a reapplicant and was #11 last year when they stopped at 10. I know it's hard, trust me, but keep your chin up! The chances are very solid given the numbers taken the last few years.

I just got listed as alternate #1 for Idaho. I'm a reapplicant and was #11 last year when they stopped at 10. I know it's hard, trust me, but keep your chin up! The chances are very solid given the numbers taken the last few years.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Hopefully we will be classmates in the fall!

Idaho Student- Just got placed on alternate list.

As part of thier stats on the adm website, they said that 10 Idaho alternates were accepted last year with "5 additional seats approved by the Legislature post-interview season"

Is there any way of knowing if Idaho is planning on adding more seat again this year?

Idaho is not planning on adding more seats this year. They spent the last several years working up to the 40 that we have now, but that number was their end goal. The 10 accepted off the waitlist last year included the 5 seats added, so depending on how you look at it, only 5 were really accepted off the waitlist. This is similar to the year before. I would not get your hopes up if you are beyond number 5 on the waitlist this year, but who knows!

Do any of the spokane students know if any facebook pages have been set up to help us connect with each other?

Hi friends! I have been following this page since the very beginning but haven't really post anything so far. I am officially going crazy because of this wait. Does anybody know when the IS Seattle applicants are suppose to hear anything back? I feel like this is around the time but everyone is so quiet now lol

Reactions: 3 users
Hi friends! I have been following this page since the very beginning but haven't really post anything so far. I am officially going crazy because of this wait. Does anybody know when the IS Seattle applicants are suppose to hear anything back? I feel like this is around the time but everyone is so quiet now lol
Going off last year's thread they should be forming the waitlist and making the final accept/reject/waitlist decisions from all the SUCs like...now!

Reactions: 7 users
Got the call! We're classmates.

First opened an AAMC account back in 2011. Third time applying to UW. If you don't get in to TRUST this year message me.
Hi guys! Cool to see future classmates in TRUST, even if this is sort of anonymous. Are you going to the preview this month?

Do any of the spokane students know if any facebook pages have been set up to help us connect with each other?
Hey fellow SDNers!!

I am a 1st year at the Spokane site and I highly recommend starting a FB page for your class - site specific.. I'm sure someone will make one for your whole class, but connecting with your site classmates is obviously the most important ;). Something along the lines of: UWSOM Spokane E-17.

By this point, I know there have been plenty of acceptances that a FB group is warranted.. I'm pretty sure I started ours back in like February of last year! Just post the link to the FB page on this thread & share and your future best friends will start to trickle in!!

I am so excited to meet the E-17s! Congrats! :soexcited:

Hey Y'all,

I just made a page for the E-17 Spokane Cohort on Facebook. It is pretty bare bones for now, but I figured we should have a way to start getting in touch with each other, and we can go ahead developing it from here. This is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1654532511519673/

In addition, here is a link I found for a facebook page dedicated to the UW Med Class of 2021 as a whole:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UWSOM2021/

Please let me know if the links aren't working, and I'll do my best to get them fixed. I'm excited to get to know all y'all better.

Hey Y'all,

I just made a page for the E-17 Spokane Cohort on Facebook. It is pretty bare bones for now, but I figured we should have a way to start getting in touch with each other, and we can go ahead developing it from here. This is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1654532511519673/

In addition, here is a link I found for a facebook page dedicated to the UW Med Class of 2021 as a whole:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UWSOM2021/

Please let me know if the links aren't working, and I'll do my best to get them fixed. I'm excited to get to know all y'all better.

All of our sites had their own group, even the Seattle folk.

And a word of advice to future groups. Don't name them for the year you graduate. Name them for the year you start. The reason for this is people expand, have kids, get an MPH, are MD/PhD and can take 6-10 years to finish, etc. So name your group something like E-2017 since that will be true for everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Have people been receiving their enrollment confirmation acknowledgements (ECAs)? The website says these will be e-mailed out 2-3 weeks after acceptance, but it has been over 6 weeks for me and nada. I wouldn't worry about it this early in the (overall) process, but I'm applying for some scholarships and want to be prepared if they ask for proof of enrollment.

does anyone know if they publish match outcomes for the Idaho cohort of UWashington students?

a close friend of mine just got the call like 2 hours ago! IS Seattle. We should be hearing any minute now

Reactions: 3 users
Acceptance call today!!!!! Interviewed 11/10. So excited to spend another 4 years at UW!!!

Acceptance call today!!!!! Interviewed 11/10. So excited to spend another 4 years at UW!!!

Congrats! Did you get a call last night? Surely, it wasn't at 4 am in the morning (according to SDN time stamp)

I think they end up accepting something on average like 30 people or so from the Seattle alternate list (@BABSstudent can correct me if that's fake news and I'm remembering wrong) so anyone within that range has a really good chance still! I don't have the spreadsheet with the numbers for each year but it's floating around here somewhere....

Any idea when alternate positions will be released?

Any idea when alternate positions will be released?

Does it depend on us writing the foundations site essay?

EDIT: It looks like we will get a better idea in Mid-March after they assign sites

Last edited: