2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This question may have already been answered, but does Utah accept letters of intent? I know they don't accept application updates, but I'm not sure what that includes. I have a pretty legitimate reason for sending a letter of intent imo.

Members don't see this ad.

This question may have already been answered, but does Utah accept letters of intent? I know they don't accept application updates, but I'm not sure what that includes. I have a pretty legitimate reason for sending a letter of intent imo.

They don't accept letters, update or otherwise. If it is something super pressing you could always call admissions, they are very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they want us to fill out our parents information on our FAFSA? I'm independent from my parents and have been for years now. I've heard it varies from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they want us to fill out our parents information on our FAFSA? I'm independent from my parents and have been for years now. I've heard it varies from school to school.

I called the financial aid office and they told me that there are some scholarships and loans that are only available if you fill out that information. It is a hassle to get all that info but I think it opens more doors for you.

I called the financial aid office and they told me that there are some scholarships and loans that are only available if you fill out that information. It is a hassle to get all that info but I think it opens more doors for you.
Though at the same time, it would seem that if your parents make a certain amount, that info would actually disqualify you for some aid...

Though at the same time, it would seem that if your parents make a certain amount, that info would actually disqualify you for some aid...
Yeah I'm not sure about that. Might be best to call in and get personalized advice.

Not sure at Utah, but another school said if you don't include parent info they assume your parents are wealthy enough to disqualify you for those and automatically exclude you from them.

Anyone have an updated count for accepted students? I feel like it's been a bit quiet around here.

So they're a little more than a third done... Ahh, that's freaking me out

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else losing sleep, thinking about whether or not they will get the call?

Reactions: 3 users
The calm before the storm. One week before people turn their ringtone volume to max, good luck everyone!

Because the U traditionally accepts "25%" before March 1 (although numbers lead us to believe that in actuality this statistic is slightly lower than what actually happens). The remainder of acceptances go out between March 1st and March 15th.

Who do you say that? What happens in a week?

March 1st. The supposed start time for when they start accepting 75% of the class. Even though 66 students on the facebook page signifies they've at least accepted nearly 40% of the class and probably more considering not everybody has facebook and not everybody on facebook has joined the group.

March 1st. The supposed start time for when they start accepting 75% of the class. Even though 66 students on the facebook page signifies they've at least accepted nearly 40% of the class and probably more considering not everybody has facebook and not everybody on facebook has joined the group.
I was under the impression that all remaining acceptances are sent out on March 15th only...

Last year they sent out ~160 acceptances. Some people chose other schools.
60/160=~40%

I was under the impression that all remaining acceptances are sent out on March 15th only...

I think they said anywhere from March 1st to March 15th acceptances would be made and then the waitlist and rejections would come March 15th or after.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year they sent out ~160 acceptances. Some people chose other schools.
Ya but that doesn't mean they sent out 160 acceptances before march 15th. The 40 or so acceptances they sent above the 120 spots could have, and many of them most likely came from, applicants who were initially on the waitlist.

Ya but that doesn't mean they sent out 160 acceptances before march 15th. The 40 or so acceptances they sent above the 120 spots could have, and many of them most likely came from, applicants who were initially on the waitlist.
c4jt321.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know of this school is sending out anymore interview invites this season?

They don't interview in March, so I doubt they have any more spots. I'm sorry. It's a rough life trying to get into medical school. It took me 2 rounds. Don't give up hope everyone!

I keep getting calls from (801) numbers and nearly having a heart attack....only to find out it's a U of U freshman calling to beg me (an alum) for money :cryi:

In case anyone was wondering, I finally received an official answer about parental info and FAFSA. They do NOT need it. Not even for scholarships.

Any updates to facebook group size?

You know what's funnier than 24?

71 including admin. Not much movement. It looks like most of it will happen in the next couple of weeks. Good luck!

Anyone get the email a second time? I just did. Got the memo the first time thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get the email a second time? I just did. Got the memo the first time thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

+1. Aw geez, Utah. Thanks so much for the double rejection. I've gotten more communication from you in the last few minutes than I have for the last couple of months.

71 including admin. Not much movement. It looks like most of it will happen in the next couple of weeks. Good luck!
I mean I was going to say 25 but that's probably more informative...

The scholarship application asks for a statement saying why you qualify for certain scholarships. Did you just list your qualifications for it or did you make it into a sort of short essay?

The scholarship application asks for a statement saying why you qualify for certain scholarships. Did you just list your qualifications for it or did you make it into a sort of short essay?

That was a tough one because they're so short. I just wrote a few sentences, not in a list format. It makes me wonder what the process is for dispersing those when there's so little information available about us. It must really come down to our need based on FAFSA.

For those waiting, it sounds like the admissions office is moving this week from the hospital into the classroom building. I don't know how that effects calls but it seems like they haven't done much on that front for awhile. I'm guessing they are busy with the move. Just an FYI.

So based on the trends of the last two years, it's looking like the first Wednesday in March (tomorrow) is when the big batch of acceptances seem to go so good luck everybody.

Also, @LadyinSpain, does it say how many people have been invited to the acceptance group but haven't yet joined? I just saw that that was a fairly large group at this point in time in I believe last year's thread.