2016-2017 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me or does the U seem to be a little behind in sending out interviews this year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me or does the U seem to be a little behind in sending out interviews this year?

Could just be less SDN users getting U love. Seems like last year more acceptances were going out around now as well, I think I've only seen one in this thread so far.
Hopefully they are just late though, that would make me much less stressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those interested in OOS info: I am OOS with absolutely no connection to Utah. I went to school in California and grew up in Oregon. I interviewed Nov. 18th and I'm currently patiently waiting for a phone call. Anyone else from that date heard back yet? Those who interviewed that day know who I am since I was literally the only person who had no connection to Utah :p

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed here in October, but I can't remember if they said they accepted application updates. I know they don't really take updates into consideration if you are on the alternate list. Does anyone remember what their policy is for accepting or looking at update letters before they let you know of your status?

When I interviewed, I was told they interview all sections proportionally. Basically, for IS Utah ppl, they interview 4 ppl for every seat; same for OOS and Idaho. So everyone at interview day has an equal chance. Which I liked. Also, you can definitely be considered IS for admissions but OOS for tuition. I think that has to do with the main UU campus. I know a few unfortunate people in that situation.

I am an MS2 at Utah if anyone has questions about the curriculum.

I interviewed here in October, but I can't remember if they said they accepted application updates. I know they don't really take updates into consideration if you are on the alternate list. Does anyone remember what their policy is for accepting or looking at update letters before they let you know of your status?

I don't believe they accept any updates.

Were there any acceptances this week? I thought they typically accepted a few people before Christmas break?

Were there any acceptances this week? I thought they typically accepted a few people before Christmas break?
I know a few people that have been accepted over the last few months, they just aren't on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm that the U actually sends out most of their acceptances in March? I know that's what was said but from looking into the threads through the last few years it seems that most people (people who actually posted on SDN at least) got accepted about a month or two after they interviewed. In the last two years, I believe I only saw one poster where that wasn't the case (interviewed in September, accepted in February). The only reason I ask is because I have to take a few more prereqs this semester that only the U requires and I don't really want to pay the money to take them if the chances for an acceptance are now very slim (I interviewed in late September).

Can anyone confirm that the U actually sends out most of their acceptances in March? I know that's what was said but from looking into the threads through the last few years it seems that most people (people who actually posted on SDN at least) got accepted about a month or two after they interviewed. In the last two years, I believe I only saw one poster where that wasn't the case (interviewed in September, accepted in February). The only reason I ask is because I have to take a few more prereqs this semester that only the U requires and I don't really want to pay the money to take them if the chances for an acceptance are now very slim (I interviewed in late September).
Literally in the same boat, with the same question...

At my interview day they said that only 25% of the class would know they were accepted by March and that the rest would know after.

Literally in the same boat, with the same question...

Apparently it's true when professors and teachers say to ask a question if you have one because somebody else more than likely has the same question, haha.

At my interview day they said that only 25% of the class would know they were accepted by March and that the rest would know after.
I heard it more as "at least" 25% will know before March. And with that terminology they could technically send out 100% of the acceptances before march. Though I may have heard it incorrectly during my interview.

I know that's what they said but if you look at earlier threads, not many people (again, SDNers) were accepted in March. And the one's that were accepted in March seemed to all have interviewed in February.

I know that's what they said but if you look at earlier threads, not many people (again, SDNers) were accepted in March. And the one's that were accepted in March seemed to all have interviewed in February.

It's all conjecture until we can get a look at the accepted student Facebook group and see what the numbers are looking like. That said, I interviewed in September and feel like it's hopeless at this point. Surely they don't need to take 5 months to make a decision. Whatever the process, I hope they streamline it in the future so that they either release all acceptances in March or switch to truly rolling admissions. This current system is driving me crazy.

It's all conjecture until we can get a look at the accepted student Facebook group and see what the numbers are looking like. That said, I interviewed in September and feel like it's hopeless at this point. Surely they don't need to take 5 months to make a decision. Whatever the process, I hope they streamline it in the future so that they either release all acceptances in March or switch to truly rolling admissions. This current system is driving me crazy.

Yeah, I wish they'd just do one or the other as well. Because like their secondary application set-up, the way they currently have admissions decisions sent out is one-of-a-kind in a negative kind of way.

Is there an active Facebook group? Let's do some recon.

IMG_4870.PNG
Is there an active Facebook group? Let's do some recon.
Only members are Dr. Chan and a secretary...

Reactions: 1 users
Hear, hear! It seems like most other schools have deposits due in late December. It would be really nice if the U got on that train too. Dr. Chan if you are reading this, for the sake of all of our sanity (and our money, for that matter), PLEASE get on those acceptance/rejection calls! Is there any reason to wait so long anyway?

Hear, hear! It seems like most other schools have deposits due in late December. It would be really nice if the U got on that train too. Dr. Chan if you are reading this, for the sake of all of our sanity (and our money, for that matter), PLEASE get on those acceptance/rejection calls! Is there any reason to wait so long anyway?

As I understand it, they wait so long so that they can make sure that they have chosen their top students (have essentially interviewed everyone)/are able to maintain such a high acceptance to matriculation ratio to broadcast to the country (since many top students that have been accepted elsewhere withdraw before March). As with everything in this world, it is to benefit the medical school corporation. Which you either have to accept or choose to walk away unfortunately..... or the altruistic/optimistic approach of hoping to make some sort of a change for future physicians.

I really think that they might be running later than they have been in previous cycles with IIs and acceptances. It seems like this year isn't really following the same patterns as the previous years, IMO. I was complete in September and still haven't interviewed (it's scheduled though). I definitely still think there's hope for an acceptance, but that does sound like a tricky situation for sure.

I really think that they might be running later than they have been in previous cycles with IIs and acceptances. It seems like this year isn't really following the same patterns as the previous years, IMO. I was complete in September and still haven't interviewed (it's scheduled though). I definitely still think there's hope for an acceptance, but that does sound like a tricky situation for sure.

Anyone know if they are done extending II? It seems late in the season and this board has been pretty quiet.

When I interviewed, they said they've been doing interviews twice a week since September (about 12/interview date). I don't think they are behind, I think there are not a lot of people posting on SDN when they get accepted or get an II. Also, Dr. Chan posted this on the Office of Admissions facebook page just before Christmas. Lack of posts on SDN doesn't mean they're behind. I'm really hoping to get a call soon. Anxiously waiting.....

University of Utah School of Medicine Office of Admissions
December 22, 2016 at 8:13am ·
Twas a few days before Christmas, and through the office walls
Dr. Chan could be heard making acceptance phone calls

2016 has been a great year, but the season is not quite over
so have no fear

We'll be back in January, interviews will start once more
Kathy and Goldie will be there to greet you at the door

Tammy at the front desk will assist you throughout your day,
while Cher or Denise will surely test you before the end of your stay

The students will again walk the halls with smiles upon their faces,
for some it won't be long before they venture to great places

March will come quickly and when all is said and done,
we'll eagerly welcome the final members of the Class of 2021

Merry Christmas to all, Happy Holiday's too
May 2017 be your year, we hope to see U!

With all the snow in Utah, did women bring warmer shoes in addition to heels for the tour on interview day, or did they just wear warmer shoes for the whole day?

With all the snow in Utah, did women bring warmer shoes in addition to heels for the tour on interview day, or did they just wear warmer shoes for the whole day?

Not a woman, but we warmed up considerably recently. Nearly all the snow in the valley is gone and we aren't slated to get any for about a week. If we are slated to get snow when you come out, definitely bring some alternate shoes. The important parts of the interview day are all in one building (MMIs, one on ones) but you will walk outside for the tour and lunch.

Anyone from Idaho accepted yet? Do Idaho applicants usually hear back in March?

I wore heels until the interviews were over and then switched to flats that I had in my purse. It was blizzarding the day of my interview, but I'm used to it because I live in Provo. There was a lot of snow when we took the tour, but I was fine in my flats because you only take ten steps outside to get to the next building. Almost all of the tour is inside. That being said, you tour individually with a student, so the tours could be different. As of now, most of the snow and ice on the sidewalks have melted, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Any OOS applicants still waiting for a II?

Idaho resident, accepted yesterday, interviewed early December

Interview in a couple weeks! Any interview advice? It would be greatly appreciated :)