2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading the first sentence of that email, "I am please to share extraordinary news with you..." definitely put a smile on my face until I got to the next sentence and was like, oh just kidding!

Well done, TCMC, well done.
Brutal.. just brutal

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reading the first sentence of that email, "I am please to share extraordinary news with you..." definitely put a smile on my face until I got to the next sentence and was like, oh just kidding!

Well done, TCMC, well done.

I just got that e-mail and my heart skipped a beat reading that sentence. Whyyyy :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"extraordinary news"? I dont give a **** about you "joining forces" with anyone unless you get off your "pleased and excited" asses and LOOK at my app thats been ignored for 3 months. Your own students don't even care about this "news". Honestly, this school and Rochester can go shove it

"extraordinary news"? I dont give a **** about you "joining forces" with anyone unless you get off your "pleased and excited" asses and LOOK at my app thats been ignored for 3 months. Your own students don't even care about this "news". Honestly, this school and Rochester can go shove it

lolz this news was probably the best news in TCMC history.

Any status updates here? Still at "application is ready" since 7/8...

Does anyone know if the interviews are open vs close file?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to them, the faculty interviewer only sees your PS while the student only sees your secondary essays.

Don't know if it is the same for everyone, but for mine my faculty interviewer had everything from my application and my student interviewer had no information.

Does anybody know how many students they accept versus interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected just now via email. LizzyM ~67, IS, complete 8/8.

Does anybody know how many students they accept versus interview?

Just interviewed and they did not provide any stats for the number of students accepted post-interview

I just interviewed too so I was curious as well haha

I mean do you think the chances are higher of acceptance since its early in the interview season ?

Just interviewed and they did not provide any stats for the number of students accepted post-interview
Same here. I interviewed a few days ago. Did they also tell you that a notification of decision would take approx. 6-8weeks?

Yeah but I honestly don't think it'll take that long I feel like the admissions staff will make it a priority to at least send acceptances mid or end of October

Yeah 6-8 weeks. I feel like there will be a push to get a lot of the decisions out by Oct. 15th so that time period might be truncated. Hard to say though :-/

Edit: I looked through last cycle's thread and people who had interviewed in the last week of September heard back on Oct. 15th and those who interviewed ~Oct. 8th heard back mid-November...so it could be a LONG 8 weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got invited to interview here! I got the email yesterday afternoon and scheduled my date on the same portal thing that the secondary app was on. I'm so excited - my first II!

I submitted the secondary on 8/18, and my letters were in before that so I'm guessing I was complete then. LizzyM ~70, IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone tell me what living in this region is like? What are the demographics surrounding the Scranton location? What groups/concerns define the community? Is this a suburban/urban neighborhood? Just trying to gain an understanding of the area from those attending.

Can anyone tell me what living in this region is like? What are the demographics surrounding the Scranton location? What groups/concerns define the community? Is this a suburban/urban neighborhood? Just trying to gain an understanding of the area from those attending.
Have you never watched The Office? Basing all my impressions of this school and region off that series!!

Have you never watched The Office? Basing all my impressions of this school and region off that series!!

Ha! All I picture is Michael and Dwight's "Scranton, Electric City" song! Idk if the office is a reliable data source lol

I'm a current student at TCMC. The region is a coal town that is economically depressed since the coal and steel industries left. From my experience it is more white than anything, with some African Americans and a quickly growing Hispanic population. There is also a growing population of Asian residents and a pretty large Orthodox Jewish population. There are also some Amish communities in the more rural areas of the like 16 counties TCMC covers. Concerns that the community have are definitely economically based, because it is in a depressed area. However, it also has an aging population with higher rates of smoking than the national average so you have those healthcare concerns that go along with an aging and smoking population as well. It's an "urban" area in a very small concentrated section of the city (like maybe a 10-15 block radius) and the rest is mostly suburban. It's a small city/large town. The cost of living is SO LOW, especially if you're used to rent prices in large cities. I no longer live in Scranton because I moved to a different campus for my clinical rotations, so you also have to take into consideration the fact that there could be other cities that you'd be living in during medical school (if where you live is that big of a concern for you, you could also possibly be in a different place for your 3rd year, like the Pocono's, Wilkes-Barre, Sayre, Williamsport, and potentially Danville if that is added as a campus with the new Geisinger integration). Scranton has a pretty decent food scene (keep in mind it's not NYC) but for a city of like 20,000 people it has some pretty cool places like an awesome Indian place, a few Thai places, a Lebanese restaurant, a FANTASTIC Brazilian Barbecue, a ton of good Deli's and Pizza/Italian places, and some pretty cool food trucks.
There are a lot of bars and a lot of churches - very Catholic area with the University of Scranton (a Jesuit university) and the large numbers of people with Irish heritage in the area. It has a lot of historical places, too, like the Steamtown National Historic Site, that can be fun to see when you're in town. There are a ton of outdoors things to do, so if you like to hike, bike, run, Kayak, etc. there is a place for it. It's also pretty safe, especially if you again compare it to an actually large city. The community really rallied around the school when they were planning on it being a thing so there is a lot of community pride in the school and the city as a whole is happy to have the medical school and is really welcoming to medical students. If you have any more questions about the area or the school feel free to message me.

Last edited:
I'm a current student at TCMC. The Office is a good television show, but not too representative of Scranton (it wasn't even actually filmed in Scranton.) But now actually thinking about it kind of is like the office...I digress. The region is a coal town that is economically depressed since the coal and steel industries left. A very typical northeast rust belt city. I'm sure some website could give you the breakdown of race better than this, but from my experience it is more white than anything, with some African Americans and a quickly growing Hispanic population. There is also a growing population of Asian residents. There is also a pretty large Orthodox Jewish population. There are also some Amish communities in the more rural areas of the like 16 counties TCMC covers. It has a lot of surprising diversity compared to many surrounding areas, which I chalk up to the fact that it is so close to both NYC and Philly (2 hrs approximately to each.) Concerns that the community have are definitely economically based, because it is in a depressed area. However, it also has an aging population with higher rates of smoking than the national average so you have those healthcare concerns that go along with an aging and smoking population as well. It's an "urban" area in a very small concentrated section of the city (like maybe a 10-15 block radius) and the rest is mostly suburban. It's a small city/large town. The cost of living is SO LOW, especially if you're used to rent prices in large cities (I paid $800 for a very nice and large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with everything included except internet and cable, and many of my classmates paid much less for 1 bedroom apartments - like under $500.) I no longer live in Scranton because I moved to a different campus for my clinical rotations, so you also have to taken into consideration the fact that there could be other cities that you'd be living in during medical school (if where you live is that big of a concern for you, you could also possibly be in a different place for your 3rd year, like the Pocono's, Wilkes-Barre, Sayre, Williamsport, and potentially Danville if that is added as a campus with the new Geisinger integration). All of those places have their own concerns and types of areas, but educationally speaking they're equivalent. Scranton also has a pretty decent food scene (keep in mind it's not NYC) but for a city of like 20,000 people it has some pretty cool places like an awesome Indian place, a few Thai places, a Lebanese restaurant, a FANTASTIC Brazilian Barbecue, a ton of good Deli's and Pizza/Italian places, and some pretty cool food trucks. (And that's all from a year or so ago when I lived there last, so there could very well be new even better places). There are a lot of bars and a lot of churches - very Catholic area with the University of Scranton (a Jesuit university) and the large numbers of people with Irish heritage in the area. It has a lot of historical places, too, like the Steamtown National Historic Site, that can be fun to see when you're in town. There are a ton of outdoors things to do, so if you like to hike, bike, run, Kayak, etc. there is a place for it. It's also pretty safe, especially if you again compare it to an actually large city. The community really rallied around the school when they were planning on it being a thing so there is a lot of community pride in the school and the city as a whole is happy to have the medical school and is really welcoming to medical students. If you have any more questions about the area or the school feel free to message me.
Holy wall of text
But thanks for the info lol

Holy wall of text
But thanks for the info lol
I'm a current student at TCMC. The Office is a good television show, but not too representative of Scranton (it wasn't even actually filmed in Scranton.) But now actually thinking about it kind of is like the office...I digress. The region is a coal town that is economically depressed since the coal and steel industries left. A very typical northeast rust belt city. I'm sure some website could give you the breakdown of race better than this, but from my experience it is more white than anything, with some African Americans and a quickly growing Hispanic population. There is also a growing population of Asian residents. There is also a pretty large Orthodox Jewish population. There are also some Amish communities in the more rural areas of the like 16 counties TCMC covers. It has a lot of surprising diversity compared to many surrounding areas, which I chalk up to the fact that it is so close to both NYC and Philly (2 hrs approximately to each.) Concerns that the community have are definitely economically based, because it is in a depressed area. However, it also has an aging population with higher rates of smoking than the national average so you have those healthcare concerns that go along with an aging and smoking population as well. It's an "urban" area in a very small concentrated section of the city (like maybe a 10-15 block radius) and the rest is mostly suburban. It's a small city/large town. The cost of living is SO LOW, especially if you're used to rent prices in large cities (I paid $800 for a very nice and large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with everything included except internet and cable, and many of my classmates paid much less for 1 bedroom apartments - like under $500.) I no longer live in Scranton because I moved to a different campus for my clinical rotations, so you also have to taken into consideration the fact that there could be other cities that you'd be living in during medical school (if where you live is that big of a concern for you, you could also possibly be in a different place for your 3rd year, like the Pocono's, Wilkes-Barre, Sayre, Williamsport, and potentially Danville if that is added as a campus with the new Geisinger integration). All of those places have their own concerns and types of areas, but educationally speaking they're equivalent. Scranton also has a pretty decent food scene (keep in mind it's not NYC) but for a city of like 20,000 people it has some pretty cool places like an awesome Indian place, a few Thai places, a Lebanese restaurant, a FANTASTIC Brazilian Barbecue, a ton of good Deli's and Pizza/Italian places, and some pretty cool food trucks. (And that's all from a year or so ago when I lived there last, so there could very well be new even better places). There are a lot of bars and a lot of churches - very Catholic area with the University of Scranton (a Jesuit university) and the large numbers of people with Irish heritage in the area. It has a lot of historical places, too, like the Steamtown National Historic Site, that can be fun to see when you're in town. There are a ton of outdoors things to do, so if you like to hike, bike, run, Kayak, etc. there is a place for it. It's also pretty safe, especially if you again compare it to an actually large city. The community really rallied around the school when they were planning on it being a thing so there is a lot of community pride in the school and the city as a whole is happy to have the medical school and is really welcoming to medical students. If you have any more questions about the area or the school feel free to message me.
Wow tha

Wow thanks so much for your help! So what are the rotation options for students?

Wow tha

Wow thanks so much for your help! So what are the rotation options for students?
You have required rotations in 3rd year that include Family med, internal med, surgery, ob/gyn, psych, peds, and ER. You have both inpatient and outpatient rotations for all of them (except FM-there is no inpatient for that, and ER has no outpatient.) Then there is also a required anesthesia rotation, plus a selective (pick one of either neuro, radiology, or pathology) and then one month of an elective in anything you want (or you can split it into 2, 2 week electives.) Then fourth year is a crazy year full of away rotations you apply for on your own and some home rotations and everyone's 4th year is different just like other MD schools.

Last edited:
II this morning, LM 69-70, IS, average EC, complete 9/1.

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning as well. GPA 3.5 (both), 508 MCAT, OOS. Really excited to interview here!

EDIT: also complete on 9/4.

just got my very first interview! my app was complete on 9/4, stats are 3.9 gpa and 509 mcat. soooo excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone,

I'm going to submit my primary application tomorrow. LizzyScore = ~65, OOS. Am I terribly late, or are there others going at a similar pace as mine? [nervous laughter]

Hey everyone,

I'm going to submit my primary application tomorrow. LizzyScore = ~65, OOS. Am I terribly late, or are there others going at a similar pace as mine? [nervous laughter]
Not horribly late but lower LizzyM for out of state. Do you have good ECs and/or good story?

Hey everyone,

doesn't matter...if you really wanna get in, then just apply...

Not horribly late but lower LizzyM for out of state. Do you have good ECs and/or good story?

ECs is a definite weak point. However, I believe my narrative is compelling enough to not have them immediately throw my application in the trash (assuming they bothered to print it).

doesn't matter...if you really wanna get in, then just apply...

I'll take your advice.

Hey everyone,

I'm gonna go against what the others have said here and recommend that you wait until next cycle. Your primary can take up to 6-8 weeks to process, and you still have to get secondaries out as well then. It's like $100-150 per school and some schools, like TCMC, have limits on the number of times you can apply

Your best option is to take the year to save up some money, do some research about the med school application process, improve your stats and ECs, and apply early next cycle. Applying is a stressful, expensive process that you only want to do once - so make sure you do it right! If you have any questions feel free to pm me

Anyone interview 9/9? Do you think we'll hear back Monday?

Anyone interview 9/9? Do you think we'll hear back Monday?
I really hope so, I interviewed on 9/7 and Have been checking my email today hoping for an email, but I realize it's Saturday

I really hope so, I interviewed on 9/7 and Have been checking my email today hoping for an email, but I realize it's Saturday
The anticipation is killing me.

Being interviewed beginning of October do you guys think I have a chance of being notified in this week coming ?

Being interviewed beginning of October do you guys think I have a chance of being notified in this week coming ?

Looking at last year's thread if you interviewed within the last week of September you should expect to hear back this week. I'm not sure about early October