2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 7/25 and still nothing back. Getting worried now. LizzyM ~65

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"""It is my unfortunate obligation to inform you that the Admissions Committee has decided not to interview you for the Class of 2021""
first one!

"""It is my unfortunate obligation to inform you that the Admissions Committee has decided not to interview you for the Class of 2021""
first one!
Aiyeeeeee, when were you complete/submission date? Maybe I'm next

I was complete 8/29, I gots lots of waiting.

The axe has fallen.

Rejected pre-II :( first one of the cycle so it hurts.
I was complete 8/30/16 LM 60-63, OOS.

Good luck to everyone still in the running.

The axe has fallen.

Sorry to hear :/ that turnaround seems really fast! You didn't mean 7/30 did you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The axe has fallen.

Sorry to hear that, the first one is always the worst, but there is plenty of cycle left for IIs!!

It does seem like they had fast turn around for you, I have been complete since mid July and still nothing! Probably any day now...

Nope. I did mean 8/30. My last secondary out and my first rejection in.:troll:
:boom:

I received an email from the admission office regarding my current immigration status. Does this means they might be considering my application for interview or not?

II today! Complete Aug. 30 with a sig. update Sept. 7. OOS.

II last Monday (9/19). Complete 8/10 with a LM of 68-69. Not URM but IS.

Can anyone recommend any of any activities/places to see while in town? I'mhere for a few days before my interview and just wanted to explore the town

Can anyone recommend any of any activities/places to see while in town? I'mhere for a few days before my interview and just wanted to explore the town

Depends what type of things you like! Scranton is known for being a coal town, with that said they had a pretty significant railroad system. The Steamtown National Historic Site is cool if you're into history. There's also a small museum up near Nay Aug park called the Everhart, infamous for the Pollock that was stolen several years back. The city also just started doing a bunch of escape rooms that I heard are pretty cool. http://www.electriccityescape.com/. Also if you like coffee or tea, Northern Lights is a cool spot to just sit and chill out.

Reactions: 1 users
Geisinger Health System just announced an agreement to purchase the school.

To put it simply, this deal brings more money into the school. It brings more research, both money and opportunities. It brings more places to rotate in third and fourth year at places with established residency programs.

From the perspective of a current or prospective student this is nothing but good news.

So does this mean that TCMC students will have "home program advantage" at Geisinger residency programs?

To put it simply, this deal brings more money into the school. It brings more research, both money and opportunities. It brings more places to rotate in third and fourth year at places with established residency programs.

From the perspective of a current or prospective student this is nothing but good news.

As a current student I think the new merger's positives definitely out-way the negatives. As mentioned, the school will have financial stability and many more opportunities within the Geisinger health system. Not only does this mean more rotation opportunities third and fourth year but more research opportunities throughout all four years. On top of that, they are even considering adding another regional campus in Danville to do rotations at.

As far as residency and matching is concerned I think it helps a lot to put a well-established and renowned name connected to the school on apps and during interviews. It will also open the door to forming connections within the system that will be very valuable throughout your career even beyond residency.

The only possible negatives I see are a possible loss in the tight knit atmosphere at the school where currently students and faculty have a large say in school matters. With more bureaucratic oversight this may be restricted, though Geisinger has assured us that we will keep much of our autonomy and that they want to hear from us on how to improve the relationship and make sure everything works out.

TL;DR Most people at the school are excited about the new opportunities!

So does this mean that TCMC students will have "home program advantage" at Geisinger residency programs?

Everything the other current students shared is the same views I have as a current student. It only helps us. Danville is such a big hospital and has a ton of residency programs. I believe since that is our parent institution, we would have home program advantage for Geisinger Residency Programs. They got a ~2 million dollar grant to study genomics and human disease as well so that's a big area for research, especially for TCMC students.

Only disadvantage...the potential name change. Not sure if GCCM (assuming this is the name) rolls off the tongue as well as TCMC did.

Yeah, especially since the Dean will become an academic officer of the Geisinger program. The announcement can be found here: https://tcmc.edu/press_release/geisingercommonwealth/

Geisinger’s academic programs, including its residency training programs, will be integrated under the college. Dr. Scheinman will continue as president and dean and will also become the chief academic officer and executive vice president at Geisinger Health System. Employees of TCMC will also become employees of Geisinger.

Geisinger also has a variety of solid programs in EM, Ob/Gyn, surgery and IM and now that they own the school, it would be in their best interest that the students match (which is similar to other medical schools linked to hospital systems). . It was the only MD school in the state without such an affiliation, which might have made some people hesitant about the school so this is definitely nothing but great news to applicants.

Everything the other current students shared is the same views I have as a current student. It only helps us. Danville is such a big hospital and has a ton of residency programs. I believe since that is our parent institution, we would have home program advantage for Geisinger Residency Programs. They got a ~2 million dollar grant to study genomics and human disease as well so that's a big area for research, especially for TCMC students.

Only disadvantage...the potential name change. Not sure if GCCM (assuming this is the name) rolls off the tongue as well as TCMC did.

Yeah, especially since the Dean will become an academic officer of the Geisinger program. The announcement can be found here: https://tcmc.edu/press_release/geisingercommonwealth/

Geisinger also has a variety of solid programs in EM, Ob/Gyn, surgery and IM and now that they own the school, it would be in their best interest that the students match (which is similar to other medical schools linked to hospital systems). . It was the only MD school in the state without such an affiliation, which might have made some people hesitant about the school so this is definitely nothing but great news to applicants.

Good to know! :) Current students must be stoked about this then!

I.. Hate.. You.. For.. That.. TCMC..

Reactions: 3 users
Someone say what the email was! I didn't get an email

I might have audibly said "oh **** off" upon reading the email, somewhat confusing my office mates.

Reactions: 4 users
Why on earth did they send us that e-mail...

Reading the first sentence of that email, "I am please to share extraordinary news with you..." definitely put a smile on my face until I got to the next sentence and was like, oh just kidding!

Well done, TCMC, well done.