2016-2017 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Given TCMC's unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.
    Remaining:1500

2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.

3. From the attributes you listed above, please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

4. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?

5. If you have previously applied to TCMC’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! What is the maximum number of LOR we can submit? I know that the committee letter is preferred/ required but are there are other requirements/preferences? I had trouble finding the answer on the website. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received!

1. Given TCMC's unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution.

2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.

3. From the attributes you listed above, please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait.

4. TCMC values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion?

5. If you have previously applied to TCMC’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area.

Reactions: 1 users
For the listing attributes question, are you guys describing the attributes or just listing them?

Reactions: 1 user
For the listing attributes question, are you guys describing the attributes or just listing them?
I think it may be best to just list for that question. It seems that they want us to only expand on one of them. But the 1500 chars is misleading. Thoughts?

Also @WedgeDawg, please see secondary above.

I think it may be best to just list for that question. It seems that they want us to only expand on one of them. But the 1500 chars is misleading. Thoughts?

Also @WedgeDawg, please see secondary above.

That's what confused me. However, I'm leaning towards listing them otherwise they may think "this applicant can't even follow directions."

Wondering if it's worth applying OOS to this college, how friendly are they to OOS?
Can anyone comment on this ,

Wondering if it's worth applying OOS to this college, how friendly are they to OOS?
Can anyone comment on this ,

Same here. From Washington state with no ties to the region. Checking Class profile:

"Number of Applicants 7,285
Class Size 105
Pennsylvania Residents 81
Northeastern and North Central Pennsylvania Residents 36"

I shouldn't bother right? Save $100? Pretty bummed I already wasted the primary fee.... Especially since I am an average applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. From Washington state with no ties to the region. Checking Class profile:

"Number of Applicants 7,285
Class Size 105
Pennsylvania Residents 81
Northeastern and North Central Pennsylvania Residents 36"

I shouldn't bother right? Save $100? Pretty bummed I already wasted the primary fee.... Especially since I am an average applicant.
That's what I am thinking . So is the 36 count part of the 81 PA residents ?
Would like to hear from current students about OOS chances .

That was my understanding. So only around 24 OOS folks. Yikes.

If secondary fees are not a BIG deal, it may still be worth it. A bigger range of schools is always smart to apply to. And even better if you fit into their value and mission statement of community oriented healthcare. 24 people is decent amount for a school (22% OOS). It is worth a shot.

If secondary fees are not a BIG deal, it may still be worth it. A bigger range of schools is always smart to apply to. And even better if you fit into their value and mission statement of community oriented healthcare. 24 people is decent amount for a school (22% OOS). It is worth a shot.

Thanks, I will consider it after filling out a majority of my other secondaries this season. $100 is a decent amount for me :(

Thanks, I will consider it after filling out a majority of my other secondaries this season. $100 is a decent amount for me :(

Yeah it makes sense. It depends on individual situations. I will let you know, aside from the values/mission statement essay, the other two can easily be copied from other locations.

Ok will think about it , I am not sure at this point , waiting for other secondaries . Thanks for the opinion!

I am seeing contradicting things about how many letters I can send to TCMC. Does anyone know the max. # of letters that they will accept? Thanks!

Are you going through your school's committee? How many letters do you plan on having?

I can only see a minimum LOR requirement of 3 letters on both MSAR and the school's site, with no maximum concretely stated. If someone here would really like to know, maybe try calling the adcom? And then share any answer you get so others can benefit. :)

For the OOS-ers, like others have said, based on your residency alone I don't think your chances here are too bad (according to MSAR about 1/20 OOS applicants received an interview, that's not terrible, right?) But being a local and a little familiar with them, they do show preference for individuals from NEPA, I think because they want to encourage people to practice in the region. You might also want to check the Matriculant Demographics on MSAR to see if your state is represented in the class, which may or may not be a factor in your decision to apply.

@Inept Thanks for the essay info! I couldn't find it before. :D

Is it worth applying here if OOS? I am debating submitting the secondary. The only connection I have to the school is family in the town.

Secondary received! AMCAS verified yesterday, 6/29

secondary submitted. Let's the wait game begin:hungover:

Hmm, for the "List five..." should that be taken literally to mean list ONLY the five attributes? I was thinking of listing them along with a short, one- or two-sentence justification/elaboration for each. Thoughts?

Hmm, for the "List five..." should that be taken literally to mean list ONLY the five attributes? I was thinking of listing them along with a short, one- or two-sentence justification/elaboration for each. Thoughts?

Last year, prompts #2 and 3 were combined so it was beneficial to actually simply list the attributes. In your cases, it may be advantageous to explain your thought process in choosing those 5 attributes with the character limit.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I've been trying to submit since yesterday and every time I click on "application fee" I get an error code.

secondary submitted. Let's the wait game begin:hungover:

If you don't mind me asking...
1. After you submitted your secondary.. did you get any sorta of confirmation e-mail from TCMC?

2. When you click and look under 'Supplemental Application' tab on TCMC's website... do you see a green check-mark next to 'Submit Application' or a red exclamation point?

3. When you click on 'Submit Application' link from left-hand menu... do you see a red exclamation point that says "This page is incomplete....." and underneath it states "Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted." ??

I'm just trying to figure out if its a glitch or am I the only one seeing this on my end.

If you don't mind me asking...
1. After you submitted your secondary.. did you get any sorta of confirmation e-mail from TCMC?

2. When you click and look under 'Supplemental Application' tab on TCMC's website... do you see a green check-mark next to 'Submit Application' or a red exclamation point?

3. When you click on 'Submit Application' link from left-hand menu... do you see a red exclamation point that says "This page is incomplete....." and underneath it states "Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted." ??

I'm just trying to figure out if its a glitch or am I the only one seeing this on my end.

1. Yes.

2. There is a green check next to 'Submit Application.'

3. It may be a glitch. Mine says "This page is complete." and "Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted."

In this case, I would contact them. There are some horror stories of applicants thinking they were complete, and then calling in December to find out that the system never accepted their submission in the first place.

Uh...

Did they randomly decide to combine the attributes questions? I am hoping it is a bug...

Is anyone else struggling with these secondaries? I am having a hard time with the "Why are you a good fit for this school?" and the "How do you embody this quality?" one. I feel like I'm just expected to brag on myself and I feel weird about it

Is anyone else struggling with these secondaries? I am having a hard time with the "Why are you a good fit for this school?" and the "How do you embody this quality?" one. I feel like I'm just expected to brag on myself and I feel weird about it
Regarding the good fit, look at the mission statement and more so, the values. Find the values that you have and back them up with experiences that show those values (I know 1500 chars is annoying, but you can do it!).

Regarding the quality you embody. Pick at least one quality that you know you embody and have that as one of the 5 qualities a physician should embody. Then write about that one quality. It is a loophole, but obviously you want to pick a quality that a physician should have.

Hope this helps.

I'm having the same issue...

I had the same problem last night but it was back to normal this morning when I submitted... I've actually had quite a few technical problems with their app

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I've been trying to submit since yesterday and every time I click on "application fee" I get an error code.
Same

Just put down everything! haha

Any IIs here yet? I love this school

Interview Invite ! So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
II as well! Although, I can't attend any of the dates they sent me (essentially the entire month of September), so I'm hoping they will be flexible with me!

II!
Primary complete June 8th, Secondary first week of July
IS, 3.6 GPA, 522 MCAT

II as well! Although, I can't attend any of the dates they sent me (essentially the entire month of September), so I'm hoping they will be flexible with me!

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your stats, IS/OOS, URM/ORM?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview Invite ! So excited!

II!
Primary complete June 8th, Secondary first week of July
IS, 3.6 GPA, 522 MCAT

Nice job, guys!

Yeah, I'm hoping schools generally can be flexible about interview scheduling (I've gotten one II so far, not here), cuz you know, travelling and everything. By the way, how much time did they give you to schedule the interview? I'm trying to get an idea of the "norm" since the one I received gave me 5 days...

Edit: Geez Louise, TCMC, don't send me an email asking me to apply to you a month after I already did and make me think I got an invite! :android:

Last edited:
LizzyM 70, OOS, complete 7/7

They gave me every Monday/Friday and a few Wednesdays in September, but unfortunately that is not a good month for me due to my job. But a lot of notice, which is very nice! Congrats to all of the IIs, TCMC and beyond!

II! Woo!

Complete 6/26, IS

Reactions: 2 users
Gah, I'm hoping to get in. I'd rather go here than Hershey or Philly. I'm a lower to average applicant, though... :/

Last edited: