*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't mind me asking, and I'm sure we're all wondering... what are you stats etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to remind everyone to use complete information as much as possible.
Please enter the following under the corresponding state:
"Name of program / Categorical or Preliminary / (Date you received it) / Dates offered for interviews"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@davidben: hopkins: (10/07): 12/5, 12/12, Abington: (10/19): 11/16, 12/7, 12/14, 1/8.
Stats: Non-US IMG/2015 grad/258/260/CS 1st/4 pubs, 3 submitted/multiple presentations/Need Visa

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
250/236/CS passed/ECFMG certified/MPH/ YOG 2014 multiple publications and abstract submissions
Applied to 180 programs
Rejections:
1. University of South Dakota 9/29/16
2. Columbia University 10/5/16
3. MedStar Union Memorial 10/7/16
4. Marshal University 10/11/16
5. Tulane University 10/16/16
6. Florida Hospital 10/17/16
7. Chicago Univeristy 10/18/16
8. St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor 10/20/16
9. McGaw Med Ctr 10/20/16
10. UTRGV 10/21/16

gensurg 007

congratulations with so much iv's stated in the above post. Do you keep in mind to post about our USCE?

Have talked to a friend who as chief resident currently. This process is becoming increasingly more difficult over the years, and it seems that the likelihood of matching on a GS-categorical spot for an independent img (i mean, no previous prelim, no 1 or 2 years of US research, non-US) is almost pretty much like getting a spot in Urology or Plastics. What I mean is that this is becoming anedoctal, and not something we can really expect based upon some good scores and CV.
As I have some important red flags (yog and usce), I tried to compensate with research and some networking.
There's this chairman of an University who is a long time acquaintance of mine. He has written one of my LoRs and have stated there that he would be happy to offer me a position at his Department, but a couple days ago he told me that is unlikely that any categorical position would filled by a non-US img this year, mostly due to competitiveness and also politics.

That being said, certainly those on this thread who are getting some interviews really deserve a position and did their homework just fine! Congrats!
There are still a couple days left.. I hope I'll have better luck over the next few days.

Reactions: 1 users
@OncoSurg ...you are correct about the categorical spots. It is unlikely without a prelim. You have a very impressive C.V . If you can get a prelim spot, i hope you go for it. With your experience, you are likely to make the most of it. In the worst case scenario, if you don't match into categorical after 1-2 yrs of prelim you can still switch to IM or another specialty. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

@OncoSurg ...you are correct about the categorical spots. It is unlikely without a prelim. You have a very impressive C.V . If you can get a prelim spot, i hope you go for it. With your experience, you are likely to make the most of it. In the worst case scenario, if you don't match into categorical after 1-2 yrs of prelim you can still switch to IM or another specialty. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.
Yes, I have come a long way.. both literally and metaphorically. So, I will defitively grab a prelim opportunity and make the best of it. Let's see what the next few days have reserved for us :D

Hello and first of all I wish you a good luck, hope you will get more IV's and succesfully match!
What I want to ask is, what actually people send to programs in their emails? What do they ask for? Let's say you have ties with 5 programs ( For example you have done 5 electives at that institutions and you have ties with them, as minimum you know them) and your hear nothing yet from them (IV's). what are you supposed to email them at this moment? Thank you!

So at programs around where I got my interview, I sent them an email telling them I'm highly interested and will be in the area anyway so if they have the time, I'd love an update on the status of my application pretty much. As far as ties go, you just mention how connected you are to the program that explains your interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. Was this in response to an e-mail you sent?

Yes. I sent an email to all the programs that I had applied and it yielded 2 more interviews so far and 2 others have said that they would consider me for an interview if slots opened up.

Interview
Wayne State University - DMC

Rejection
Brigham and Women Hospital

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. I sent an email to all the programs that I had applied and it yielded 2 more interviews so far and 2 others have said that they would consider me for an interview if slots opened up.
Congrats on the interviews, do you email the PCs or the PDs?

Congrats on the interviews, do you email the PCs or the PDs?

I emailed the PD directly. If the PD considers your application he will answer you while ccing the email to the PC as well. Preliminary interviews scheduling show up later so guys dont be too stressed out. Right now they are screening for their categorical positions. Everyone just hang in tight and be patient and calm. Everything will work out for us at the end.

Reactions: 2 users
If any of you applied to Stamford Hospital/Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Program (Connecticut), I contacted the PD before and he said they only accept American citizens. FREIDA says they have 30% IMGs in the program, US citizens or green card holders I think.

Rejection Emory. At least programs have started looking at the applications. That's the bright side.

If any of you applied to Stamford Hospital/Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Program (Connecticut), I contacted the PD before and he said they only accept American citizens. FREIDA says they have 30% IMGs in the program, US citizens or green card holders I think.

I got a different answer from him. He said all interview slots are full and hed consider contacting me if they were cancellations.

so far my complete list of program rejections :(

Florida Hospital
TJUH
Tulane univ
Univ of Toledo
memorial health savannah
Saint Joseph hospital Colorado
union memorial hospital
columbia NY presbyterian
St Elizabeths medical center
Mountain view hospital
Univ of South Dakota
Univ of Tennessee Chattanooga
USF
Jewish hospital of Cincinatti
suny upstate
emory
york hospital
U of Illinois mt sinai chicago program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
SIU
Tufts medical center
B&W
virginia mason medical center
Univ of Texas RGV (DHR)
University of Tennessee College of Medicine Nashville
St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
McGaw medical center
Georgetown Univ Hosp
Santa Barbara Cottage Hosp
Univ of Chicago
wright state univ
PinnacleHealth Hospitals
VCU
Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt
Lahey hospital
Hennepin County Medical Center
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital (Chicago)
Boston univ

Florida Hospital
TJUH
Tulane univ
Univ of Toledo
memorial health savannah
union memorial hospital
columbia NY presbyterian
Mountain view hospital
Univ of South Dakota
USF
suny upstate
emory
york hospital
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
SIU
Tufts medical center
B&W
Univ of Texas RGV (DHR)
McGaw medical center
Georgetown Univ Hosp
Univ of Chicago
wright state univ
PinnacleHealth Hospitals
VCU
Lahey hospital
Boston univ

Thanks for sharing, man.

Rejection Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program

interview preliminary Jackson Memorial/Univ of Miami

iv dates : 11/2, 11/16, 12/4

Reactions: 3 users
Rejection Emory
Rejection Mount Sinai St Luke Roosevelt hospital rej

I got a different answer from him. He said all interview slots are full and hed consider contacting me if they were cancellations.

Florida Hospital
TJUH
Tulane univ
Univ of Toledo
memorial health savannah
union memorial hospital
columbia NY presbyterian
Mountain view hospital
Univ of South Dakota
USF
suny upstate
emory
york hospital
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
SIU
Tufts medical center
B&W
Univ of Texas RGV (DHR)
McGaw medical center
Georgetown Univ Hosp
Univ of Chicago
wright state univ
PinnacleHealth Hospitals
VCU
Lahey hospital
Boston univ

The good news is that a lot of those programs are not IMG friendly in the first place, I did not bother applying to half of that list. There are still many IMG friendly programs that we have not heard back from!

The good news is that a lot of those programs are not IMG friendly in the first place, I did not bother applying to half of that list. There are still many IMG friendly programs that we have not heard back from!

Yes you are absolutely right. :) good luck to you and all of us

Jackson Memorial (cat) 10/24: 11/5, 11/19, 12/3, 12/17
U Oklahoma (cat) 10/24: 11/11, 12/19

Reactions: 2 users
What do you think contributed most to your getting interviews?
I don't know if I'd call it luck....well.....luck I guess.
But seriously, Idk, most likely that they have taken Ross grads recently and they did a great job there.

Hi guys,

I applied late (last week in fact) to 120 programs and emailed all programs this morning.

235/246/CS passed/ECFMG/ YOG 2012/3 strong US Surgery LORs/multiple abstracts, publications

So far, nothing but rejections.

Rejection list:

University of Texas RGV (DHR) Program - 10/21
University at Buffalo Program - 10/24
Geisinger Health System (Wilkes-Barre) Program - 10/24
York Hospital Program - 10/24
University of Connecticut Program - 10/24
Southern Illinois University Program - 10/24
University of Colorado Program- 10/24
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (Rochester) Program - 10/24
Boston University Medical Center Program - 10/24
Brigham and Women's Hospital Program - 10/24
Brooklyn Hospital Center Program - 10/24
University of Toledo Program - 10/24
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital - 10/24
Emory University - 10/24

preliminary interview Texas Tech University Paul L foster

interview dates 12/15, 01/05, 01/19

Rejections (Update)
Columbia NYP
University of Chicago
Thomas Jefferson University
Tulane
Florida Hospital
Georgetown
Emory
Brigham and Women
Icahn mount sinai
St Elizabeth

Last edited:
Two rejections this morning: Main Line Health Lankenau Hospital and Wayne State University-Detroit Medical Center.

rejection wayne state univ, univ of minnesota, univ of illinois peoria, kaiser permanente California

10/25

Last edited:
Hi. Anyone who had a prelim skype interview for UIC MGH? They only take one interview right?

So at programs around where I got my interview, I sent them an email telling them I'm highly interested and will be in the area anyway so if they have the time, I'd love an update on the status of my application pretty much. As far as ties go, you just mention how connected you are to the program that explains your interest.

Thank you for an explanation. Wish you a good luck!

Jackson Memorial (cat) 10/24: 11/5, 11/19, 12/3, 12/17
U Oklahoma (cat) 10/24: 11/11, 12/19

Happy for you about so many IV's, especially cat's. I have a question and I think others are also interested. How do you think, what contributed for so many categorical iv's considering the fact that you are non-us img? Can it be very strong contacts? Because people with even higher scores don't get a single IV. If you can please tell us more about you, about the research and publications, where was the research made (in US?) are publications is US journals or others? I will appreciate it very much. I am applying in 2 years so I'm getting ready, try to understand all ins and outs. Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
@Surgeria: Knowing the right people at right places helps. Attending the conferences not just to present an abstract but to make that abstract count by letting people know how sincere and diligent you are at whatever you do. That's how you make lasting contacts and I followed up with emails and questions and these good people helped me in the time of need. I just have 3 months of externship with limited no of publications but I put every last ounce of energy in getting to know more and more people at programs and staying in touch with them. Hope this was helpful.

UT Memphis: (Cat) 10/25: 10/26, 11/9, 11/30, 12/14, 1/25

@Surgeria: Knowing the right people at right places helps. Attending the conferences not just to present an abstract but to make that abstract count by letting people know how sincere and diligent you are at whatever you do. That's how you make lasting contacts and I followed up with emails and questions and these good people helped me in the time of need. I just have 3 months of externship with limited no of publications but I put every last ounce of energy in getting to know more and more people at programs and staying in touch with them. Hope this was helpful.
Righteous, man!