Which General Surgery programs are the Least Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinda fly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether they are malignant or at a remote location, I hear about the most competitive allot, but nothing about the least competitive to enter (for a DO)

Essentially, My application is pretty bad, but I am on a surgery rotation right now and am falling in love with it. I don't care where in the country I have to go: community, middle of idaho, do a prelim year (but aiming for the catagorical)

Red flags: DO, Repeated first year, Failed Comlex (family health tragedy the day before the exam)
Green flags: mutiple research expiriences and an expected first author pub in Psychiatry. interesting extracurriculars

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately the harsh truth is that you aren’t competitive for any surgery program. I highly suggest you find a different path, most likely FM or community peds.

Unfortunately the harsh truth is that you aren’t competitive for any surgery program. I highly suggest you find a different path, most likely FM or community peds.
Would I be competitive for any surgical prelim programs?

Would I be competitive for any surgical prelim programs?
There would likely be a few prelim programs that will gladly use you as free labor for a year. Your chances of ever landing a categorical spot are zero with a failed year and a failed COMLEX.

I know it sounds harsh, but it’s reality for you at this point. Let the surgery dream go, it’s time to focus on getting ANY residency spot with your CV.