*****2016-2017 Official IMG General Surgery Interview Invites/Rejections Thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone experienced Skype interview? I am preparing for Skype interview now. Skype interview takes only 15 minutes, so I don't know they think me as one of the candidates. I thought Skype interview was only for weak candidates not for strong. How do you think?
Are u interviewing at UIC/Metropolitan prelims ? They have been doing Skype IVs for prelims for a few years now. I am not certain but it seems they are going to finish all their prelims IVs from 10/31 to 11/4 on Skype. I can be wrong but that's what the email sounded like. I think they don't care that much about prelims compared to categorical IVs.

Members don't see this ad.

Are u interviewing at UIC/Metropolitan prelims ? They have been doing Skype IVs for prelims for a few years now. I am not certain but it seems they are going to finish all their prelims IVs from 10/31 to 11/4 on Skype. I can be wrong but that's what the email sounded like. I think they don't care that much about prelims compared to categorical IVs.
Yeah, I talked about UIC/Metropolitan prelims. Thank you very much for answering my question.

No interviews so far.

Rejections:

Emory University (10/24)
Brigham and Women's (10/24)
Mass General (10/26)
Medstar Memorial (10/6)
University of Maryland (10/25)
Providence Park (10/26)
St Joseph Mercy Hospital-Ypsi (10/20)
Detroit Mercy Center (10/25)
Icahn School of Medicine St Luke's (10/24)
Oregon Health & Science Uni (10/28)
Thomas Jefferson Uni (10/14)
University of Texas RGV (DHR) Program (10/21)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection University of Virginia (10/31/16)

A couple of the places you guys have gotten rejections, i havent gotten them yet :(, dont know if it means they filtered my application to the bin or im just on their wait list like some of the programs i emailed told me.

Rejection Mayo Rochester for Pre-lim, Cat and Rural Cat lol

Swap dates for Cinncinati Jewish hospital and or SUNY Uupstste. anyone open to swap dates from December from 12/15 onward?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
When Somebody gets an email from surgery program for IV without mentioning spot what does that mean the program is assessing candidate for both prelim and cat ? hope to hear an answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I would presume it would be for the spot you applied for. I'm fairly certain that if you applied categorical and they intended to give you a preliminary interview, they would without a doubt say so.

Although if you applied to both CAT and PRE, that could be an issue.

I have applied both ! so nobody knows what it means since most programs email with spot mentioned but few programs don't, what I presumed that they would analyze for both. but don't know for sure.

Greetings.

Non US IMG.
Scores 236/258. No USCE. YOG 2013. No research/abstracts/publications. Applied to about 80 programs.

Rejections:

Atlantic Health (Morristown)

Cooper Medical School Rowan Program

University of Maryland Medical Center

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital

IV - Mayo Clinic Prelim Surgery

Emailed a handful of programs to express interest, all have said all interview slots have been filled for the cycle

That's not good news. I was hoping November and December would be better :(

Emailed a handful of programs to express interest, all have said all interview slots have been filled for the cycle

I have Sent a couple emails too. Have had mixed responses, most of my messages were just ignored. Some programs are reviewing applications now. . Just a few however.

I had many automatic replies that their spots are filled so apply next year :(

Who did you guys email and hear from that are full or still reviewing, but have yet to send out rejections? Feel free to add to the list
Full: Palmetto/USC, ECU, Methodist Dallas, ETSU
Still reviewing: U of Kentucky, Cedars-Sinai

Last edited:
Rejection creighton

They say they have 1000 applications for only 6 spots.

Who did you guys email and hear from that are full or still reviewing, but have yet to send out rejections? Feel free to add to the list
Full: Palmetto/USC, ECU, Methodist Dallas, ETSU
Still reviewing: U of Kentucky, Cedars-Sinai

Henry Ford/WSU is also reviewing

Hello Everyone. I have UPENN interview on 1/13 and would like to trade it for 12/9. Anyone? Thank you

Creighton University: 11/1 Cat: 12/16, 1/13
U Minnesota: 11/1 Cat: 11/15, 11/22

Rejection: Mayo Rochester, Stony Brook, Uni of Washington, Morristown

Hello Everyone. I have UTMB(cat) interview on 12/10 and would like to trade it for 12/17. Anyone? Thank you

rejection Mercy St Elizabeth NEOMED Youngstown 11/3
Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia 11/3 IMG friendly yikes!
University of Kansas 11/3
Ohio State university 11/3

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Rejection St. Elizabeth.
No reply from Einstein or Ohio.

Rejection Riverside university California :( 11/3. They all coming in masses now

Rejection Riverside university California :( 11/3. They all coming in masses now
This has been a quiet week for me... Probably silent rejections. Regardless, have been sending out emails like crazy ... :D

Do programs have to send out a rejection email or no? I still havent heard anything from Geisinger, but have been told rejection emails have already been sent out. Same for Marshall University.

Anyone willing to trade a upenn date for my 12/14 date cat and prelims are at same time

UsuLly the bigger programs will send rejections the ones that are getting a lot of img iapps are less likely

Any advise or word of hope is really appreciated. I only have four interviews so far and the stress is killing me.

Any advise or word of hope is really appreciated. I only have four interviews so far and the stress is killing me.

I have three IVs. 1 cat e 2 prelims. The average for the IMGs who match in surgery is 3.6.
Go for it.

3.6 was the average ROL length for imgs who matched into surgery in 2015-2016.
Assuming you will rank all your IVs... it is roughly the average number of IVs

I have no interviews only rejections so far

Ozoran , hang in there , I am sure they will start to flood in soon. If you haven't started to email programs, you should do that. Two of my interviews came after I sent them email.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no interviews only rejections so far

I'm right there with you. I'm most likely going to call it quits with the stats that I have after getting my CK score. Not sure what to do.

Rejections
Maine (most polite rejection ever! )
Beth Israel