2016-2017 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, thank you :)

I submitted secondary on 7/9, I was complete 7/12.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats! All the best on your interviews everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In order to get an II do you have to complete Casper first? or can you complete it after

In order to get an II do you have to complete Casper first? or can you complete it after

NYU doesn't require Casper to my knowledge. Are you sure you aren't referring to New York Medical College?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some information on the 3 year (at least from what I saw during our year):

You can apply to it right after you're accepted or "opt-in" near the end of your first year. As others have said different programs have different numbers of spots with varying difficulty (Gen Surg has 1, while Medicine has ~5 if I remember correctly). Not all the spots need to be filled meaning that if they don't like anyone they won't accept anyone.

Pros: You're guaranteed a residency spot at a great school and save 70-80k.

Cons (I feel like they're not mentioned often):

People change their mind regarding their "desired" specialty after finishing rotations. Others decide they don't want to do their desired specialty at NYU. This is especially true for specialties outside of internal medicine where it's impossible to *really* be exposed to the daily practice of the field without actually being a medical student (e.g. the surgical specialties).

You also are going pretty much straight from clerkships to intern year instead of getting 4th year off to relax and dabble in some electives in random specialties - something you'll never get to do again. Sure you don't have to go through the match but this SHOULD NOT be the reason you apply - if you go to NYU you will probably have an easy time matching. So really consider it before you go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

It's basically a pilot program to see if the 4th year of medical school is really necessary. You can apply to it right after you're accepted or "opt-in" near the end of your first year. As others have said different programs have different numbers of spots with varying difficulty (Gen Surg has 1, while Medicine has ~5 if I remember correctly). Not all the spots need to be filled meaning that if they don't like anyone they won't accept anyone.

MANY MANY people change their mind regarding their "desired" speciality after finishing rotations. We have had 3 years opt out of the program to apply with the rest of us just because they realized they actually hated what they were accepted into and loved something else (e.g. someone dropped out of peds because they wanted surgery). Others decide they don't want to do their desired specialty at NYU (our gen surg kid hates the gen surg program at NYU). For this reason a lot of older faculty look down on the 3 year/don't think it's a good idea. This is especially true for specialties outside of internal medicine where it's impossible to *really* be exposed to the daily practice of the field without actually being a medical student (e.g. the surgical specialties). A lot of the people in the program themselves agree that some of their peers kind of just "picked something" to have that residency spot.

You also are going pretty much straight from clerkships to intern year (i.e. worst year of your life) instead of getting 4th year off to relax and dabble in some electives in random specialties - something you'll never get to do again. Sure you don't have to go through the match but this SHOULD NOT be the reason you apply - if you go to NYU you WILL match into one of your top 3 choices historically unless you're trying to do something crazy like Ortho, NeuroSurg, or Derm. You're forced into doing a summer fellowship at NYU so bye to the last summer of your life, and your schedule goes clerkships -> STEP 1 -> SubI/Crit Care -> Step II -> Internship. Not trying to hate on the program but I feel like in the years below us more people have been applying, getting accepted, and then changing their minds which ruins the reputation of the program, so really consider it before you go for it.

Thank you, this was really helpful.

Some additional question. If deciding to opt into the 3-year programs after first year, what do they look at? Will they look at your MCAT and undergrad, or just your first year performance? How do the more competitive specialties like derm work? Also, do you know if any other schools have similar programs or are considering them? Thanks again

Thank you, this was really helpful.

Some additional question. If deciding to opt into the 3-year programs after first year, what do they look at? Will they look at your MCAT and undergrad, or just your first year performance? How do the more competitive specialties like derm work? Also, do you know if any other schools have similar programs or are considering them? Thanks again

Your grades are hidden from them (supposedly) since the first 1.5 years are P/NP. I don't know if they have access to your class rank either. You have to write an essay and turn in a resume so they kind of just go by that. I've heard the interview is really the most important part.

We have some kids in pretty competitive ones - the ones in derm and neurosurg just had an impressive research background in their respective fields.

I don't think any other schools are doing this.

Last edited:

It's basically a pilot program to see if the 4th year of medical school is really necessary. You can apply to it right after you're accepted or "opt-in" near the end of your first year. As others have said different programs have different numbers of spots with varying difficulty (Gen Surg has 1, while Medicine has ~5 if I remember correctly). Not all the spots need to be filled meaning that if they don't like anyone they won't accept anyone.

MANY MANY people change their mind regarding their "desired" speciality after finishing rotations. We have had 3 years opt out of the program to apply with the rest of us just because they realized they actually hated what they were accepted into and loved something else (e.g. someone dropped out of peds because they wanted surgery). Others decide they don't want to do their desired specialty at NYU (our gen surg kid hates the gen surg program at NYU). For this reason a lot of older faculty look down on the 3 year/don't think it's a good idea. This is especially true for specialties outside of internal medicine where it's impossible to *really* be exposed to the daily practice of the field without actually being a medical student (e.g. the surgical specialties). A lot of the people in the program themselves agree that some of their peers kind of just "picked something" to have that residency spot.

You also are going pretty much straight from clerkships to intern year (i.e. worst year of your life) instead of getting 4th year off to relax and dabble in some electives in random specialties - something you'll never get to do again. Sure you don't have to go through the match but this SHOULD NOT be the reason you apply - if you go to NYU you WILL match into one of your top 3 choices historically unless you're trying to do something crazy like Ortho, NeuroSurg, or Derm. You're forced into doing a summer fellowship at NYU so bye to the last summer of your life, and your schedule goes clerkships -> STEP 1 -> SubI/Crit Care -> Step II -> Internship. Not trying to hate on the program but I feel like in the years below us more people have been applying, getting accepted, and then changing their minds which ruins the reputation of the program, so really consider it before you go for it.

I didn't bother with the 3 year program application for exactly these reasons. I know I might change my mind in medical school, and even if I do end up in whatever specialty I like now, I couldn't be guaranteed to like NYU's program in that specialty because residencies can be so different.

4th year seems really interesting/fun. I wouldn't want to skip it.

Reactions: 3 users
4th year seems really interesting/fun. I wouldn't want to skip it.

In talking to the pre-Med advisor from my undergrad, it seems this program is really designed for non-trads with significant experience in the field they are choosing. I think the opportunity is great for that specific subset of people, which is exactly why they look for those types of applicants for that program. I don't think it's as useful for or even geared toward traditional 22yo applicants. Of course there are always exceptions in superhuman applicants, but most don't get enough experience to be 100% confident in what residency they want to pursue out of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In talking to the pre-Med advisor from my undergrad, it seems this program is really designed for non-trads with significant experience in the field they are choosing. I think the opportunity is great for that specific subset of people, which is exactly why they look for those types of applicants for that program. I don't think it's as useful for or even geared toward traditional 22yo applicants. Of course there are always exceptions in superhuman applicants, but most don't get enough experience to be 100% confident in what residency they want to pursue out of undergrad.

I would say the majority of the people in it are 22 y/o traditionals. I actually don't know any non-trads or even md/phds in it.

I would say the majority of the people in it are 22 y/o traditionals. I actually don't know any non-trads or even md/phds in it.

That's super interesting! Maybe it depends on the residency being sought after. I know MD/PhDs wouldn't be doing the program (according to the Interview Dr Rivera gave anyway) because they already have a degree of flexibility in their schedules for years dedicated to MD vs. years for PhD.

They have had a person come in for something like ortho (I think) that was a PhD and literally wrote a chapter in a commonly used textbook in a field. I know they do and will take traditional applicants for it, but I was just trying to imply it's more useful for non-trads that are 100% certain of their residency desires and have done work in the respective field.

If one was coming in as a 22 year old recent college grad with even a shadow of a doubt, anything less than 100% sure of residency, pursuing the program wouldn't be as beneficial. But that's just my humble opinion, others might feel differently.

can anyone help me to confirm that NYU doesn't screen for secondaries? it certainly seems like it judging from this thread but just wanted to double check

can anyone help me to confirm that NYU doesn't screen for secondaries? it certainly seems like it judging from this thread but just wanted to double check
nope they don't screen...you'll get it soon enough!

Reactions: 1 user
According to the nyu med twitter, II went out august 1, 9, and 10 (today-could be more coming later in the day)

II on 8/1.
Does anyone know when the interview ends? 5PM?
I am nervous about MMI.

So if people are getting IIs who were complete long after you, is it safe to assume you won't be getting one?

Doubt that's the case. Most schools do not offer interviews in order of application completion for numerous reasons.

Last edited:
So if people are getting IIs who were complete long after you, is it safe to assume you won't be getting one?
Nahh, I was worried about this too but give it some time. Lots of people were getting interviews at Pitt who applied after me, but I just got an II yesterday. Im sure this can be applied to other schools.

Ok good to know. I'm not really sure how it works with regards to timeline in many places so
Different types of Apps are on different timelines, I feel. URMs might be fast-tracked in terms of app review.

Nahh, I was worried about this too but give it some time. Lots of people were getting interviews at Pitt who applied after me, but I just got an II yesterday. Im sure this can be applied to other schools.

Different types of Apps are on different timelines, I feel. URMs might be fast-tracked in terms of app review.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess we'll see!

Yeah I believe many schools "fast-track" certain applications based on certain criteria (like URM, military experience, LizzyM 80+ etc) and offer interviews quickly to those people in an effort to poach seemingly attractive candidates from peer institutions.

I did not choose to attend NYU, but did interview (and was accepted) early in the cycle here last year. During my interview, the adcom actually told us a bit about how the 3-year program works (I too was very interested in this).

Basically, it seems as though you apply similar to how you apply to medical school, and if you are chosen, you are given the chance to interview with the residency program director. How many slots are available is largely program dependent (for example, we were told that ortho had only 1 slot). Furthermore, to even be chosen, your current profile needed to match that requisite of the chosen residency (for example, we were told that said ortho slot was filled by a student who had already published in academic ortho journals during undergrad).

Less "competitive" positions may not be as stringent in these requirements so long as you project how you came to know which speciality was right for you.
Was there anything about NYU during interview day that made you decide against it?

@students
How true would you say it is that the class is composed mostly of well-off white people? How is diversity within the student body?

Was there anything about NYU during interview day that made you decide against it?

@students
How true would you say it is that the class is composed mostly of well-off white people? How is diversity within the student body?

All medical schools are full of "well-off white people"--that's just the way it is considering the time and resources involved in pursuing medicine. More than a fifth of medical residents in this country have no debt. Probably because they were well-off.

NYU is definitely not lacking in diversity, the fact that it's in NYC actually attracts people from all around the country and there is a good mix of backgrounds, both socioeconomically and ethnically. In fact, for many of us it was our cheapest option thanks to the financial aid, and 1/3 of the class is URM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else just get an email about a twitter chat? Thought it was a decision for a second :/

Reactions: 5 users