2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"your secondary has been screened/received & a preliminary review has taken place" -hucm Monday afternoon
Got the email but I'm still missing two of my letters

Members don't see this ad.

Do they take the superscore by any chance of the MCAT

I spent all day going through their website and past forums trying to see what others said about this too... Other medschools allow English requirements to be fulfilled through writing intensive courses but Howard only allows courses with ENG prefix I guess. I'm using the explanation box of the section to explain why I believe that one of my writing courses reflects the same objectives of English courses even though it's listed in a science department rather than English. But if anyone has called and asked about this please let us know!

I spoke with an admissions office person via email and they said as long as it sounds "English related" in the title and you explain it in the box below, you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my secondary application invitation this week. I have pretty much completed it all, but I was just wondering how long everyone's responses are? To be honest, these questions can really be answered with a yes/no, and of course I would never do that! But I feel like my 1 or 2 paragraph responses might still be too short :( what do you all think?

PS I hope this is the right forum to talk about the secondary essays. I know it's a general Howard thread, but I did not see one specifically for essay questions!

I got my secondary application invitation this week. I have pretty much completed it all, but I was just wondering how long everyone's responses are? To be honest, these questions can really be answered with a yes/no, and of course I would never do that! But I feel like my 1 or 2 paragraph responses might still be too short :( what do you all think?

PS I hope this is the right forum to talk about the secondary essays. I know it's a general Howard thread, but I did not see one specifically for essay questions!

Definitely the right place for the question, I think that's been the consensus - a few paragraphs to get your points across. I was afraid of making it too long and annoying the readers myself haha

Deleted (too much personally info lol)

Last edited:
Is there space to add an additional lecture/lab course in the COURSE REQUIREMENTS section. Looks like they have an option to select either quarter or semester system but only 2 courses can be added for each Biology, Chemistry, Physics...but 2 semesters = 3 quarters of classes so how do I add a third class?

I was just going to list those third classes in the EXPLAIN box below the audit sheet..

Last edited:
How soon after AMCAs is verified is HU sending secondaries ?

How soon after AMCAs is verified is HU sending secondaries ?
I believe 2 days or so,
They have started sending secondaries after August 15 so we are not sure how long after verification, but usually schools u have applied starts sending apps 2 dyas after an applicant is verified

"your secondary has been screened/received & a preliminary review has taken place" -hucm Monday afternoon

I did not receive any secondary confirmation email. But the portal has me as complete.

Do you all see a lock after the word "Interview" ?

Reactions: 1 user
Am I really the only one having trouble accessing the portal? Maybe that's why they haven't gotten back to me...

I did not receive any secondary confirmation email. But the portal has me as complete.

Do you all see a lock after the word "Interview" ?

I do, along with "not scheduled yet" under Notes.

I have had my secondary completed, but I have some questions about the classes we have to input
-I have a class not listed as English that was an English course (weird system at university)-
-Do APs count (just want to confirm)

I have been trying to call and email for many days now and I am at 2 weeks past the invitation at this point. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say, just explain in the explanation box provided!
They dont seem to answer questions since I have done the same and no response !

I have had my secondary completed, but I have some questions about the classes we have to input
-I have a class not listed as English that was an English course (weird system at university)-
-Do APs count (just want to confirm)

I have been trying to call and email for many days now and I am at 2 weeks past the invitation at this point. What should I do?

I JUST got the secondary acknowledgement.

Are the interviewing yet?

For those that did submit their secondary apps, when you were adding your course listings, how did you indicate your courses with labs? I went to a university where the course was completely separate from the lab, and we received two different grades for them. So, for example, my transcript shows BSC 2010 (3 credits) and BSC 2010L (1 credit), even though they are both Biology I-level instruction. But the secondary app lists them together, and I do not know how to input it...anybody else run into this problem as well?

I could separate the course and lab by commas in the boxes, I guess. I just don't want to mess up my application o_O

For those that did submit their secondary apps, when you were adding your course listings, how did you indicate your courses with labs? I went to a university where the course was completely separate from the lab, and we received two different grades for them. So, for example, my transcript shows BSC 2010 (3 credits) and BSC 2010L (1 credit), even though they are both Biology I-level instruction. But the secondary app lists them together, and I do not know how to input it...anybody else run into this problem as well?

I could separate the course and lab by commas in the boxes, I guess. I just don't want to mess up my application o_O

Just kidding! I completely overlooked the instructions on the page lol.

Just got my complete email!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing interviews wont start until late September or even mid October, given the timeline of HU sending out secondaries. Anyone have any info on this from last cycle?

I'm guessing interviews wont start until late September or even mid October, given the timeline of HU sending out secondaries. Anyone have any info on this from last cycle?
Last cycle I got the complete e-mail Sept 21st and my interview was in February. Not sure when I got the interview invite though.

Last cycle I got the complete e-mail Sept 21st and my interview was in February. Not sure when I got the interview invite though.

By complete, you all mean you have got the message titled " YOUR SECONDARY HAS BEEN RECEIVED/SCREENED" ? right?

Hey Everyone, submitted my secondary about a week ago, do they send a complete email to everyone? And if they don't send it could that be tantamount to a rejection? Really want to go to this school so i'd rather know now if i dont have a chance instead of the constant worry lol.

Though to be fair, my last recommendation letter was uploaded today, but i saw that some people said they got the complete email even before all their letters were uploaded.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, submitted my secondary about a week ago, do they send a complete email to everyone? And if they don't send it could that be tantamount to a rejection? Really want to go to this school so i'd rather know now if i dont have a chance instead of the constant worry lol.

Though to be fair, my last recommendation letter was uploaded today, but i saw that some people said they got the complete email even before all their letters were uploaded.

Submitted my secondary on 9/7, got the complete email 9/12, but had all of my LORs

I submitted my secondary 9/2/16 and still haven't gotten a complete email.. should I be worried

I submitted my secondary 9/2/16 and still haven't gotten a complete email.. should I be worried
Me and you are in the same boat, thinking about calling tomorrow, but i dont want them to look negatively at me, so may wait another week before i don anything.

I submitted mine 9/10 and got the complete email 9/15.

Got the "complete" email of my secondary one day after I submitted it! all my letters were in!

Submitted Sept. 16th. Complete email today.

i submitted aug 29th and did not receive the complete email tim sept 19th -__-

I don't think II will go out until October here